Peace Statue at the UN from the Book of Daniel

2,281 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by one MEEN Ag
Magneto
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thoughts? I agree we are living in end times. Ain't the first winged cat erected in the world.

Please google the story because I'm too stupid to figure out how to post.
powerbelly
AG
Here is a link:

https://medium.com/thatancientfaith/does-the-un-statue-resemble-the-end-times-beast-from-daniel-and-revelation-8cb8dd106eaf

Sapper Redux
What specifically makes you think we're in the end times vs any of the other objectively worse periods in human history?
Magneto
AG
Let me rephrase. I think there have been milestones met along the Biblical prophesy timeline. Israel as a state, EU, perilous times, etc.

But again, we don't know the exact timeline as per God's will. I sure don't know God's definition of time.

Sapper Redux
How does a loose group of European nations represent a part of the apocalypse?
Magneto
AG
The formation of the European Unionand the fact that we have a reunified Germanyis very interesting in light of biblical prophecy. The "ten toes" of Daniel 2:42 and the ten-horned beasts of Daniel 7:20 and Revelation 13:1 are references to a "revived" Roman Empire which will hold power before Christ returns. Although the precise political structure has yet to be formed, the pieces can be seen as falling into place.

Do you think the world will last forever and ever?
Sapper Redux
Nope. The sun will engulf it in a little over a billion years. I'm guessing humans will be gone long before then based on our complete inability to think past our next meal.
UTExan
Magneto said:

The formation of the European Unionand the fact that we have a reunified Germanyis very interesting in light of biblical prophecy. The "ten toes" of Daniel 2:42 and the ten-horned beasts of Daniel 7:20 and Revelation 13:1 are references to a "revived" Roman Empire which will hold power before Christ returns. Although the precise political structure has yet to be formed, the pieces can be seen as falling into place.

There was an eastern Roman Empire as well, which governed the Levant.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
PacifistAg
AG
Magneto said:

Or we are doing what virtually every previous generation has done...read our circumstances into Revelation.

Btw, the modern nation-state of Israel is not the same as the ancient biblical nation of Israel. Also, the statue doesn't line up with Daniel 7, as it's a jaguar and not a lion. I do have a favorite statue at the UN though that actually does point to biblical prophecy...

Interesting, never knew the Let Us Beat Swords into Plowshares statue was a gift of the Soviet Union. That's some next level irony there.
canadiaggie
AG
Not sure on biblical animals, but surely the biblical era people were able to distinguish Asiatic lions from leopards.

Jaguars are only in the Americas, right?
Sapper Redux
canadiaggie said:

Not sure on biblical animals, but surely the biblical era people were able to distinguish Asiatic lions from leopards.

Yes, they're exclusive Central and South America and, as you might expect, were highly prized and worshipped by the natives.
nortex97
AG
Sapper Redux said:

canadiaggie said:

Yes, they're exclusive Central and South America and, as you might expect, were highly prized and worshipped by the natives.
False.

Fascinating animals.
Sapper Redux
Cougars aren't Jaguars.
BluHorseShu
AG
Magneto said:

Thoughts? I agree we are living in end times. Ain't the first winged cat erected in the world.

Please google the story because I'm too stupid to figure out how to post.
I don't think that statue is indicative of Daniel/Revelation. However, there was a brief moment in 2016 that I thought we might be in the end times…but apparently the mark on Trumps head only said "665.9"
nortex97
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Cougars aren't Jaguars.
Panther, jaguar, puma...they are all about the same thing. Let's not be racist about our names for them.

Quote:

The North American jaguar is a jaguar (Panthera onca) population in North America, ranging from the southwestern United States to Central America.

Quote:

The exception to the species rule is the Florida panther. Found in a small region of the Florida panhandle, these so-called panthers are actually a member of the puma genus, making them a subspecies of cougar.

Cougars are widely distributed throughout the Americas, particularly South America. They can be found from the northern parts of Canada to the southern parts of Argentina and Chile, so different regions have simply developed different names for the cats.
In addition, cougars were called different names by different groups of people as they settled the Americas. Some of those names have stuck, especially in specific regions.

Cougar names may also refer to slight genetic differences between subspecies.
For example,
Florida panther kittens have a spotted, jaguar-like appearance, so their name may suggest a similar appearance between this cougar subspecies and the panthera genus.

Though they have many names and are divided into various subspecies, cougars are surprisingly similar in appearance and genetics no matter where they are found in the world.

Conclusion

There is no difference between cougars, pumas, and mountain lions. They are all the same species, members of the puma concolor genus.

Panthers are members of the panthera genus, so they are not related to cougars. The subspecies of cougar known as the Florida panther is not actually a panther, as it is a member of the puma genus despite its common name.

Cougars are known by many different names, but they are all very similar in appearance and genetics.
Sapper Redux
Panthera onca Is the jaguar. The cougar, which you linked to earlier on your map, is Puma concolor. Same genus, different species, different habitats.
BusterAg
AG
Is there a word for jaguar in Ancient arabic?
PacifistAg
AG
BusterAg said:

No idea.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
And these dudes are the 4 horseman of the apocalypse… I wonder if they ever played a show near the UN?

Panther….. Pantera… CFH…
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
Duncan Idaho
I will never understand why people that believe in a literal end times aren't active in doing whatever they can do to make those events happen. Believe a vaccine passport is the mark of the beast? Why wouldn't you encourage it to be required? Think the EU is the new Babylon? Why aren't you encouraging the US government to support and strengthen the EU?

I mean if I believe the world was so terrible and that certain things needed to happen before the beginning of the millennium, I'd be voting and supporting groups that help make those conditions come to pass.
BrazosBendHorn
THERE'S PUMAS IN THE CRAVASAS!
~ Tommy Smothers (starting at 2:20 in this clip)
PacifistAg
AG
I actually believe that's largely what drives Christian zionists. It's more a desire to usher the end times than a love of the Jewish people
ramblin_ag02
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I will never understand why people that believe in a literal end times aren't active in doing whatever they can do to make those events happen. Believe a vaccine passport is the mark of the beast? Why wouldn't you encourage it to be required? Think the EU is the new Babylon? Why aren't you encouraging the US government to support and strengthen the EU?

I mean if I believe the world was so terrible and that certain things needed to happen before the beginning of the millennium, I'd be voting and supporting groups that help make those conditions come to pass.

Not sure if you're serious, but I have met evangelical fundamentalists doing just that. They believe that after everyone has heard the Gospel and the Jews go back to Israel the Rapture will happen. So they are out evangelizing like crazy and spending lots of money supporting Israel return programs
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BusterAg
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Not sure if serious.

But, if so, this attitude is pretty inconsistent. If the end times were prophesied and set down by God, why would you think that as a single human your actions would have any impact on the long term plans.

If you read Jesus's teachings, they were primarily focused on the attention to the people you have in front of you, and to let God sort out everything else. "Let the day's own trouble be enough for the day."

So, there is a much more common (but not only) point of view that the end times will occur, but that the world doesn't revolve around me. While God might use me to further his over-arching plans, I do not have the capacity to alter those one way or the other, so why would I concern myself with that? Much more productive to love the people I see every day.
BusterAg
AG
PacifistAg said:

I actually believe that's largely what drives Christian zionists. It's more a desire to usher the end times than a love of the Jewish people
I respect the Christian Jewish heritage, and the amount of overlap in Christian and Judeo moral values. As a Christian that has associated with many different churches that support the statehood of Israel, and respect it's holiness, my experience does not match your assumption.

As for my eschatology, I am a staunch Eventualist.

Eventually, all that stuff will work itself out.
BusterAg
AG
PacifistAg said:

BusterAg said:

No idea.
I guess my point is that it is meaningless to argue word meanings without real exegesis.

If the end time creature is in fact going to be a large feline creature, what Aramaic word do you think the author would use?

(Fun fact, this passage of Daniel is a small snippit of Aramaic in an otherwise Hebrew book. Fun to study if you like that sort of thing.)
one MEEN Ag
AG
I think this is just run of the mill idolatry in the name of coolness and art. A physical idol placed in front of man made governmental idols.
BluHorseShu
AG
BusterAg said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Not sure if serious.

But, if so, this attitude is pretty inconsistent. If the end times were prophesied and set down by God, why would you think that as a single human your actions would have any impact on the long term plans.

If you read Jesus's teachings, they were primarily focused on the attention to the people you have in front of you, and to let God sort out everything else. "Let the day's own trouble be enough for the day."

So, there is a much more common (but not only) point of view that the end times will occur, but that the world doesn't revolve around me. While God might use me to further his over-arching plans, I do not have the capacity to alter those one way or the other, so why would I concern myself with that? Much more productive to love the people I see every day.
I agree…We cannot know the time or force it somehow (someone needs to tell John Hagee )…so all we can do is be prepared
BusterAg
AG
Um, Cougars and Jaguars are not the same thing.

And I'm not talking about old worn out seductresses and fat offensive linemen.
kurt vonnegut
AG
I think that if statues like this were predictors of the end times, then Mexico has been predicting these dark days for a long time. A winged lion, like a griffin, has been used in ancient Egyptian and Persian art too.

Now, I'm not saying that the eagle-jaguar at the UN isn't a predictor that we will soon be devoured by the anti-Christ. . . . it just seems unlikely to me.

I do find the psychology of hoping and waiting for the end times to be interesting. I don't mean this as an attack or insult to anyone. . . Lord knows I'm plenty guilty of cynicism. But, end times hopefulness looks to me like a resignation to the idea that mankind is not ultimately capable of doing good or that the good parts of our humanity are not worth fighting for. It suggests an inevitability of the failure of mankind baked into our very creation by God. If God made us wretched and unworthy, He should swipe us off the planet and start over with something better. Something that isn't burdened with the inevitability of failure.

I don't believe in God or in the end times. 'Bettering' humanity (whatever humanity decides that means) should be the goal of humans. In any case, I see no advantage to living life in hopes that God will come in and whoosh our mess away. Even if there is a God and a future end times, shouldn't we live our life without the expectation that someone will whoosh away our mess?

I think that end times hopefulness could just be a coping mechanism for some. Again, not an attack - I have my own coping mechanisms. And I think that they are often equally as un-productive. Or even counter-productive.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Mr. Vonnegut,

Your points are salient and you have good critiques of two groups of Christians: those that focus on the endtimes too much and those that see heaven as escaping this earth. The first group is small-ish, but they tend to attract a lot of attention. The second group is way larger and way more baked into the culture of every day modern, western christianity.

Throughout the OT and NT, the call is constant to make earth a heavenly place. Full of peace, love, kindness. Jesus specifically brings this up and is harped on by the apostles. Don't wait until being in the presence of Jesus to have a heart that forgives your brother and turns the other cheek. The holy spirit being poured out over all of mankind is to give all of mankind new hearts capable of forgiveness and peace now here on earth. Heaven is not some far flung place where we leave all out problems behind. Under the guise its all these other people causing problems, and the 'blameless' just get to hit a cosmic eject button and not own up to our shortcomings. Its here on earth, and the end times/reunification of the whole cosmos is to bring the earth back to its glory in the beginning of Genesis.

kurt vonnegut
AG
Well spoken Mr. MEEN Ag,

And allow me to reiterate that I do not wish for it to seem that I am throwing stones from my own glass house.

side note - is MEEN a reference to your chosen undergraduate field of study?
one MEEN Ag
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

Well spoken Mr. MEEN Ag,

And allow me to reiterate that I do not wish for it to seem that I am throwing stones from my own glass house.

side note - is MEEN a reference to your chosen undergraduate field of study?
Oh no you're fine. This is a good discussion.

And yes, I did my undegrad and masters at A&M in mechanical engineering. I TA'd the engineering ethics course while I was in grad school. I usually try to guide the morality discussion I participate on this board to meet the recitation standards from when I was a TA. There's a lot of overlap between leading 25 hard headed engineering students through messy, unclear morality discussions that don't have an answer in the back of the book to how discussion happens on this board.

That being said, I don't hold myself to be even a decent philosopher (or engineer for that matter). Our team meetings consisted of being in a room full of philosophy phd students who could take any position on any subject and outclass the engineering grad students. They were basically lawyers navigating different moral frameworks to suit their needs. But they struggled to understand engineering risk and design. Everything was an easy teaching lesson, but they couldn't show the students what tools to use to head off future bad designs, future bad meetings, and future bad bosses. So there was room for everyone to humbly approach and learn more.

I'm sad now that the department of engineering is now no longer requiring that specific class to graduate. I view it as the most important course an engineer can take. You're going to forget thermo equations but those are easily looked up. Learning how to spot maliciously implied moral obligations (when someone uses the word should), walking through where moral authority comes from (its not a piece of paper that says professional code of ethics at the top), and how to defend your moral positions are life long lessons that are hard to self study.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.