Adventures Beyond My Comfort Zone (Prayer)

1,191 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BryanAggie2013
MasonB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From a personal story I shared elsewhere some years ago. I recently ran across it and thought some here would like it. It's about how my daughter gave me a new perspective on prayer.

If you know me, you know that I approach new experiences with some degree of trepidation. And if you don't know me, you don't have to be around me long to figure that out. I like knowing what to expect. I like knowing what will be expected of me. But despite all of that, I don't confine myself exclusively to my comfort zone. I've found on those occasions when I push my bounds, it often results in something to be thankful for; a good story, a lesson learned, a hearty laugh or the like.

One of those occasions was one night last September. Our church held a special service dedicated to wholeness and healing. It was centered almost entirely around prayer - a time to lift ourselves, our needs and the needs of others up to God. It was held separately from our normal service and both its format and tone were different. Not better, not worse, just different.

I attended, but reluctantly so, never having been to this type of thing. Ella went with me, knowing it wasn't a regular service, but with far less apprehension than I had. This service had no bells, no choir and no children's time. In fact, if memory serves, Ella was the only kid there. But none of that seemed to bother her. She had on her normal going-to-church-smile, content to be surrounded by people who love her no matter the circumstances.

As the service began, we all filed into the sanctuary, the rest of us with serious faces surrounding Ella's smiling face. The smile got even bigger as she saw the front row open and asked if we could sit there. It was one of those smiles that you don't even consider denying. Off to front we went, just right of center.

It's been a few months, so I don't remember the exact order of things. I know our pastor welcomed us and introduced what we would be doing and why. We sang together and prayed together and listened together about the importance of prayer.

The next part I remember well. Our pastor invited us to think about our own prayers and offer them up to God in a variety of ways. We could pray them from where we sat, we could light a candle, we could share them with a pastor, we could say our prayer with a stone that we placed in the font and take another's stone symbolizing their prayer, we could contemplate our prayers in front of a painting or any combination we felt moved to do.

These options weren't offered up to make our prayers more potent. They were just ways to freshen our perspective on prayer and engage with it a somewhat tangible way. Not better, not worse, just different.

As these prayer options were being explained, Ella's smile perked up a notch again. She leaned over to me and in an excited and loud whisper asks, "We can pray for whatever we want?"

My mind immediately presumed all of things that Ella was thinking about praying for. I was sure her mind was filling with thoughts of puppies, toys, candy and new clothes. Looking to head this off at the pass, I asked her "What are you going to pray for?"

Her eyes were brightly lit and her smile whispered back, "Colby. I am going to pray for Colby." Those words filled me with with equal parts shame and pride. I was so proud of her for her thoughts and so ashamed of me for mine.

My skeptical look changed to a smile and I told her, "Ella, you are such a good big sister and so sweet. You can always pray for Colby." But I wanted to reassure her, too, so I added "But she isn't sick anymore. She is in Heaven and she is okay."

Her face let me know she was processing this and her eyes lit up again with another idea. "And I'm going to pray for Mommy, because I know she hurts."

One of the great joys in parenting is when our children surprise us. This time Ella had done it twice in under a minute. I find her level of maturity and compassion amazing.

The accompanying lesson was delivered in those same moments, but it took some time longer for it to sink in. Usually I approach prayer with timidity and solemnity. Ella takes another attitude toward prayer, one of excitement and an inherent understanding of how special it is. You can almost hear her saying, "I can say whatever I want to God and He listens to me! He always listens!"

Imagine how special that must make her feel. Ella loves to be listened to and for people to take her serious. Her parents, teachers, family and friends play the role of her audience, but even at our best it's inconsistently. But through prayer, she gets to talk to God anytime she wants about whatever she wants. Ella clearly sees the ability to pray as a treasure and she embraces it.

And don't we all want to be listened to?

I've never been able to fully wrap my head around prayer, but I suppose I had always looked at it as an obligation, a duty you were suppose to do. I still wrestle with questions about prayer, but Ella helped me see it in a different way, a better way - as a blessing and an opportunity.

UTExan
82 TAMU Ag
AG
Thanks for sharing this wonderful story MasonB. Your daughter's approach to prayer is just what should be expected in the relationship of a child and a loving Father. Especially a Father who chose to adopt us into His family.
BryanAggie2013
AG
Thank you for sharing that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.