Great video on heaven/hell

2,645 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PacifistAg
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dermdoc
AG
Great video. Thanks.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Agilaw
AG
What??? Heaven and Hell, "they aren't places at all". Many "sources" from this guy are from something or someone outside of scripture??? Seems like you are looking for someone the justify the way you think things should be. Quite dangerous???
dermdoc
AG
Agilaw said:

What??? Heaven and Hell, "they aren't places at all". Many "sources" from this guy are from something or someone outside of scripture??? Seems like you are looking for someone the justify the way you think things should be. Quite dangerous???
Not speaking for pacifist, but I am just looking for truth. The speaker is talking about Orthodox theology.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
Agilaw said:

Yeah, that dangerous Eastern Orthodox theology that's existed for the entirety of church history.
Agilaw
AG
I've viewed many of your posts over a long period of time without commenting. I chose not to let this one pass by without a comment. I seen what you claim to be/believe. Your posts and the like don't add up to what you claim to be/believe. Yes, I do think what you propose is a dangerous theology it it is actually a theology. Personally, I think it is a theology that you want to believe.
dermdoc
AG
Agilaw said:

I've viewed many of your posts over a long period of time without commenting. I chose not to let this one pass by without a comment. I seen what you claim to be/believe. Your posts and the like don't add up to what you claim to be/believe. Yes, I do think what you propose is a dangerous theology it it is actually a theology. Personally, I think it is a theology that you want to believe.
All pacifist did was post a video that reflected Orthodox theology.

So your beef would have to be with the "dangerous" theology of the Orthodox Church.

Agilaw
AG
Feel free to read Pacifists past posts, claims, and personal "theology" to come to your own determination on where Pacifist stands. Absolute truth or not???
dermdoc
AG
Agilaw said:

Feel free to read Pacifists past posts, claims, and personal "theology" to come to your own determination on where Pacifist stands. Absolute truth or not???
All I know is that Pacifist loves and knows the Lord.

And to me that is really the only salvific issue.

What is your theology?

What do you believe is necessary for salvation?

PacifistAg
AG
Agilaw said:

I'm drawn to Orthodox theology. I've never hidden that. I'm sorry you feel that's dangerous.

It's okay. I'm still your sister-in-Christ.
PacifistAg
AG
dermdoc said:

Agilaw said:

All I know is that Pacifist loves and knows the Lord.

And to me that is really the only salvific issue.

What is your theology?

What do you believe is necessary for salvation?

Thank you. It's surreal to see what people elevate to the level of "salvific".
PacifistAg
AG
dermdoc said:

Agilaw said:

All pacifist did was post a video that reflected Orthodox theology.

So your beef would have to be with the "dangerous" theology of the Orthodox Church.

Exactly. If he has issues with other things I believe, fine. But his gripe here isn't with me. It's with the ancient teachings of the Orthodox Church.
Agilaw
AG
What is your view of scripture as the truth? Do you follow scripture as to what is truth, what is sin, etc? Or do you pick and choose based on your personal preferences of what you think should be truth and what you think is/should be sin?
PacifistAg
AG
Agilaw said:

What is your view of scripture as the truth? Do you follow scripture as to what is truth, what is sin, etc? Or do you pick and choose based on your personal preferences of what you think should be truth and what you think is/should be sin?

My view is that Jesus is the Truth, and scripture is a sacred icon that points to the Word.

And what does that have to do with the video on the Eastern Orthodox teaching in the OP? You can go ahead and just say what you're really wanting to say.
dermdoc
AG
I believe Christ's atonement defeated sin. Will I still fall short? Of course. But Christ's blood covers my sins.

Romans 8:1

What is your belief?
PacifistAg
AG
To add to that, I affirm every single word of this:
Quote:

I believe in one God, Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all ages; Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten, not created, of one essence with the Father through Whom all things were made. Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary and became man. He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered and was buried; And He rose on the third day, according to the Scriptures. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father; And He will come again with glory to judge the living and dead. His kingdom shall have no end.

And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Creator of life, Who proceeds from the Father, Who together with the Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified, Who spoke through the prophets.

In one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.

I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the age to come.
dermdoc
AG
PacifistAg said:

To add to that, I affirm every single word of this:
Quote:

I believe in one God, Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all ages; Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten, not created, of one essence with the Father through Whom all things were made. Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary and became man. He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered and was buried; And He rose on the third day, according to the Scriptures. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father; And He will come again with glory to judge the living and dead. His kingdom shall have no end.

And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Creator of life, Who proceeds from the Father, Who together with the Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified, Who spoke through the prophets.

In one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.

I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the age to come.

Amen.
Agilaw
AG
You posted the video.

Is heaven a real place? What about hell?

Did you watch and listen to the video?

As to your many past posts, do you believe in what the Bible calls out as sin to be sin? Or do you pick and choose what is sin?
PacifistAg
AG
Agilaw said:

You posted the video.

As to your many past posts, do you believe in what the Bible calls out as sin to be sin? Or do you pick and choose what is sin?

I agree with the video and the Orthodox understanding of heaven/hell. Of course I listened to the video. Your condescension is unnecessary.

Your other stuff, you're welcome to take it up on other threads that are relevant to what you're asking. Derailing this thread and making it about your personal gripes with me is not going to happen here.

Please show enough respect for the board, and your sister-in-Christ, to stay on topic.
dermdoc
AG
Agilaw said:

You posted the video.

So basically you disagree with Orthodox theology as presented in the video.

I am not even going down the rabbit hole of your problem with pacifist.

Curious about your theology of heaven and hell.

From my reading, "heaven" will actually be God coming down to Earth and completely redeeming His Creation. We will have perfect resurrected bodies. No sorrow, illness, death, war, etc. The New Jerusalem.

I personally do not believe in ECT hell and believe God purifies us all to become the perfect creation He meant for all of us to be.

And it is fine to disagree on non salvific issues imho.

God bless and good night.
PacifistAg
AG
It's weird how people react to the possibility that ECT isn't true. I know there's probably some negative and unwarranted assumptions here, but it comes across as though they want people to go there. If not, why get upset at those who don't subscribe to ECT?

The Orthodox view seems far more consistent with the nature of God as revealed by Christ crucified. But is it a salvific issue? Not at all.
Agilaw
AG
Pacifist, you regularly want to be the martyr and say people are condescending to you when they question you about things you say and your personal views. It's the way you are and choose to be on these boards.

The video says heaven and hell aren't real places. Do you believe that? Simple question? I know the creed. What do yo believe?

As to "derailing" your thread, you can feel free to comment on other things I say or not. However, I scrutinize your posts because of the many faults or incorrect ways you handle clear teachings of scripture and say it's not the way you believe, When what you are discussing is addressed clearly in scripture. You just choose not to follow it.
PacifistAg
AG
Agilaw said:

Pacifist, you regularly want to be the martyr and say people are condescending to you when they question you about things you say and your personal views. It's the way you are and choose to be on these boards.

The video says heaven and hell aren't real places. Do you believe that? Simple question? I know the creed. What do yo believe?

As to "derailing" your thread, you can feel free to comment on other things I say or not. However, I scrutinize your posts because of the many faults or incorrect ways you handle clear teachings of scripture and say it's not the way you believe, When what you are discussing is addressed clearly in scripture. You just choose not to follow it.

When you ask if I watched and listened to the very video that I posted, you're being condescending. Had nothing to do with being a martyr. Like I told you, the video simply talks of traditional Orthodox teaching on the subject. I agree with the video, as I agree with Orthodox teaching on the subject.

If you "scrutinize" my posts and disagree, that's fine. Feel free to raise your objection on that specific thread and we can discuss it. If you want to discuss these points of disagreement in a respectful manner, great. But derailing this thread to fixate on other issues that you stayed silent on before is not going to work.

Agilaw
AG
You won't answer a simple question that I posed. But you're quickly back to your claim of someone being condescending to you and acting the martyr. I only expected as much.

PacifistAg
AG
Agilaw said:

You won't answer a simple question that I posed. But you're quickly back to your claim of someone being condescending to you and acting the martyr. I only expected as much.

I'm confused. I've answered the question multiple times. You asked about a statement made in the video that discusses the Orthodox teaching on the subject. I said I agree with the video, as I agree with the Orthodox teaching on the subject.
ifeelold
Quote:

You won't answer a simple question that I posed. But you're quickly back to your claim of someone being condescending to you and acting the martyr. I only expected as much
Are you acting christ like? Jesus washed the feet of people in this situation. Nothing you are saying or doing represents Jesus. Think about that.
Agilaw
AG
I guess I missed your answer somewhere in the thread. So to help me again, do you believe heaven is a real place? Do you believe hell is a real place?

The video says they are not. That's my simple question that started this long back and forth.
PacifistAg
AG
Agilaw said:

I guess I missed your answer somewhere in the thread. So to help me again, do you believe heaven is a real place? Do you believe hell is a real place?

The video says they are not. That's my simple question that started this long back and forth.

Then you're not reading my responses if you haven't seen it. I agree with the video and their explanation. You're taking one sentence and removing it from the video creator's elaboration/explanation of what he means when he says that. Everything in the video, I agree with.
PacifistAg
AG
Since you seen hung up on that one statement, even though I personally believe he explains it sufficiently, I would be more than glad to share more resources on the Orthodox teaching on heaven/hell. I know we have a couple Orthodox posters here who can also add far more than I, if they wish.

As referenced in the video, www.ancientfaith.com is a tremendous resource.
Agilaw
AG
This is why I struggle with so many of your posts. A simple question posed and you can't or won't answer it for some reason.
PacifistAg
AG
Agilaw said:

This is why I struggle with so many of your posts. A simple question posed and you can't or won't answer it for some reason.

I have answered it. Multiple times.

Like I said, you're taking a comment and removing it from all context of the video. The man in the video explains what he means by his comment. I 100% agree with him.
PacifistAg
AG
Btw, just boarded a plane and have a very long night of flying and driving ahead of me because of flight cancelations. I'll answer any additional relevant questions when I'm able to.
Agilaw
AG
The two questions I have asked a couple of times are the only ones I've posed in response to your video. Is heaven a real place? Is hell a real place?

The answer is either yes or no to each question. I don't understand why you can't answer with a yes or no.

In any event, safe travels.
dermdoc
AG
Agilaw said:

The two questions I have asked a couple of times are the only ones I've posed in response to your video. Is heaven a real place? Is hell a real place?

The answer is either yes or no to each question. I don't understand why you can't answer with a yes or no.

A question if I may.

Were you aware before watching that video what the Orthodox theology on heaven and hell were?

And what the video was saying is that we all end up in the presence of the Lord. For those who reject Him, it is "hell". For those who love Him, it is heaven.

Now I am done. Have a great night.
ifeelold
Agilaw said:

Can you tell me if heaven is a real place or if hell is a real place? Are your actions leading you to one or the other? These are all yes or no questions.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.