What's the Christian consensus on Muhammad and the Quran?

16,227 Views | 268 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by nortex97
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did he make it all up like Joseph Smith?
Fashionably Late
Islam is a sect of Nestorian Christianity and yes Mohammed made it up.
canadiaggie
AG
Fashionably Late said:

Almost all sects of Islam reject any sort of divine nature within Jesus, whether mono or dyophysite, so not too sure about that.

The few Shi'i sects that do have some sort of christological position insist that the divine nature inside Jesus is not eternal God himself but the first creation of God, the Light of God.
ramblin_ag02
AG
The History of Byzantium podcast did a great episode on the origins of Islam with Robert Spencer. It was a fascinating look at the archaelogical evidence of early Islam. It seems to have started out as an uber-tolerant fusion of Christianity, Judaism, and Arab nomad beliefs. He makes frequent references to early buildings and artifacts that have strong Islamic origin and clear Christian or Jewish symbolism He also makes a strong case that Islam as we know it started to become standardized with the Umayyad Caliphate, IIRC
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
craigernaught
AG
I look forward to an informative and totally not insane and angry thread.
Fashionably Late
canadiaggie said:

Fashionably Late said:

Almost all sects of Islam reject any sort of divine nature within Jesus, whether mono or dyophysite, so not too sure about that.

The few Shi'i sects that do have some sort of christological position insist that the divine nature inside Jesus is not eternal God himself but the first creation of God, the Light of God.
Sorry, I meant a "bass" "turd" "ized" form of nestorian christianity that devolved through the game of telephone more or less. The homogeneity (although not perfect) between the angel Gabriel, the lady Maryam, Jesus, John the Baptist, and the age of Islam make more sense when seen as a spinoff of Christianity.
Fashionably Late
indeed the Umayyad period was when Nestorian Christians had huge amounts of influence on the caliphate by translating Greek works.
UTExan
Does Islam acknowledge Jesus Christ as the incarnated Son of God who came to save mankind and serve as propitiation for our sin? No.

What else is there to say unless perhaps there is some common ground to cooperate in aiding the poor?
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
canadiaggie
AG
Fashionably Late said:

canadiaggie said:

Fashionably Late said:

Sorry, I meant a "bass" "turd" "ized" form of nestorian christianity that devolved through the game of telephone more or less. The homogeneity (although not perfect) between the angel Gabriel, the lady Maryam, Jesus, John the Baptist, and the age of Islam make more sense when seen as a spinoff of Christianity.

Not sure that makes sense considering there's no concept of original sin or even a need for salvation in Islam. That's not btardization, that is a wholly different starting point.
canadiaggie
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

The History of Byzantium podcast did a great episode on the origins of Islam with Robert Spencer. It was a fascinating look at the archaelogical evidence of early Islam. It seems to have started out as an uber-tolerant fusion of Christianity, Judaism, and Arab nomad beliefs. He makes frequent references to early buildings and artifacts that have strong Islamic origin and clear Christian or Jewish symbolism He also makes a strong case that Islam as we know it started to become standardized with the Umayyad Caliphate, IIRC

Robert Spencer is a hack - and also not a historian - but Fred Donner has done some interesting and academically credible work on this theory.

I believe the book is called Muhammad and the Believers or something like that.
jrico2727
AG
As St. John of Damascus would say the Muhammadans are a Christian Heresy.
If you take the alleged visitation of St. Gabriel to Muhammed and compare it to say his visitation to the Blessed Virgin Mary it seems demonic in comparison.

Per St. Paul
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach a gospel to you besides that which we have preached to you, let him be anathema.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Sorry, didn't know anything about Spencer other than he came across my feed as a podcast guest and the idea was interesting
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
NowhereMan
Ambiguous writing that leads to interpretations that range from terror to peace.
canadiaggie
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Sorry, didn't know anything about Spencer other than he came across my feed as a podcast guest and the idea was interesting

Spencer gets some play on the podcast circuit, but what you're describing seems to be pretty much Donner's work re-phrased. Just pointing out the likely source material if you ever want to read it
nortex97
AG
Islam is really a rule book for a very primitive, 14th century nomadic group of tribes in an attempt to reign them in, written by a pedophile egomaniac antisemite, which has held on due to the force of warfare/rules against apostasy and absolute subjugation of the individuals in muslim countries (generally countries with more than 20 percent muslim).

By it's own terms it cannot be reformed as Christianity did (not that it was ever anywhere near as warlike). It's an expansive, invasive set of doctrines that spreads like a disease as it's adherents manage to immigrate/migrate/conquer other cultures/lands, and is utterly incompatible with individual rights and a democratic republic as we might commonly understand them today (or used to).

The Sword and the Scimitar provides a useful synopsis of much of its history, much better than a message board forum could in some sort of debate/discussion.

Stealth Jihad and The Truth about Muhammed are also good books (by R. Spencer).
canadiaggie
AG
I love when people claim Islam cannot be reformed by using an 18th century Islamic reform movement as their basis for the religion. Absolute galaxy brain thought process
ramblin_ag02
AG
canadiaggie said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Spencer gets some play on the podcast circuit, but what you're describing seems to be pretty much Donner's work re-phrased. Just pointing out the likely source material if you ever want to read it
Thanks!
nortex97
AG
I love when people casually toss out tropes like "Islam can be reformed" as though it is something a large group of muslims agree with, or they have even a topical knowledge of what is in the Koran/muslims believe.

Or for that matter what key tenets of christianity were reformed, and what does a 'reformed' church hold out to be different from others?

It is mind bottling.

But, back to drive by gaslighting for other casual readers, I am sure.
nortex97
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

He's absolutely incorrect about Spencer, he has a ton of books and many varied sources are used/documented.

As to islam being a christian heresy, I think is a bridge too far. What is true is that muhammed (if he existed) needed to prove his audacious tales/authority as credible to his followers and one of the things semitic people knew/trusted were the abrahamic faiths, as ancient. Being an ancient faith gave him credibility, hence the use of old testament stories being reworked, from Jacob, Ishmael (of course more important to the arabs), Essau, all the way back to Adam.

It's all crap but he was talking to a grossly ignorant group. If anything, islam might be considered a jewish heresy.
craigernaught
AG
Mind bottling
Sapper Redux
nortex97 said:

I love when people casually toss out tropes like "Islam can be reformed" as though it is something a large group of muslims agree with, or they have even a topical knowledge of what is in the Koran/muslims believe.

Or for that matter what key tenets of christianity were reformed, and what does a 'reformed' church hold out to be different from others?

It is mind bottling.

Canada is Muslim, genius. He might know slightly more about the faith than you.
88Warrior
Sapper Redux said:

nortex97 said:

It is mind bottling.

That logic has never stopped you from arguing with Christians about their faith….
Rongagin71
AG
craigernaught said:

Mind bottling
I have a bottle of pickled boggles that I might sell cheap. Any bids?
Rongagin71
AG
Rongagin71 said:

craigernaught said:

Mind bottling
I have a bottle of pickled boggles that I might sell cheap. Any bids?

Edit: I mean Mohammed was able to sell that bit about a chunk of heaven falling to earth and, last I heard, all are required to visit it at least once in their lifetimes. I guess viewing a black rock somehow proves it is from heaven.
Sapper Redux
88Warrior said:

Sapper Redux said:

nortex97 said:

It is mind bottling.

That logic has never stopped you from arguing with Christians about their faith….

I'm not claiming a Christian doesn't know their theology. And I was raised Christian and was one for the vast majority of my life. Slightly different than a Christian American claiming expertise in Islam based on some politically slanted stuff he read.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Here's a couple issues I have with Islam. I'm open to hearing a good discussion though.

They claim to be dovetailed into Abraham and thus a religion that claims to be of the same God as Christians. They consider Jesus a prophet, but lesser than. They miss the whole boat on who Jesus was, what he did, why he did it and how being anything less than the Incarnation just doesn't work. Furthermore, their isn't any need for further prophets as Gods work was done with Jesus. No need to rehash the same OT story. It's been fulfilled.
FIDO95
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Here's a couple issues I have with Islam. I'm open to hearing a good discussion though.

They claim to be dovetailed into Abraham and thus a religion that claims to be of the same God as Christians. They consider Jesus a prophet, but lesser than. They miss the whole boat on who Jesus was, what he did, why he did it and how being anything less than the Incarnation just doesn't work. Furthermore, their isn't any need for further prophets as Gods work was done with Jesus. No need to rehash the same OT story. It's been fulfilled.

This might be what you're looking for. It's a great discussion between Peterson and a Muslim intellectual describing his faith.
nortex97
AG
Sapper Redux said:

88Warrior said:

Sapper Redux said:

nortex97 said:

It is mind bottling.

I'm not claiming a Christian doesn't know their theology. And I was raised Christian and was one for the vast majority of my life. Slightly different than a Christian American claiming expertise in Islam based on some politically slanted stuff he read.
Well I've read their stupid book and all about their religion so I'd say I have more expertise than you just because you went to Sunday school as a kid. Their book also tells them to lie when convenient about their intent/peacefulness. Sudden jihadi syndrome can break out in any muslim denomination at any time (generally among males under 25). There is no way to excise jihad from muslim theology; every word is memorized in the Koran by their faithful, and it is violent throughout.

There's a reason acid attacks, 'honor killings' and rapes have skyrocketed in places like London the past 20 years. Read up about it, it's not the anabaptists.
Sapper Redux
I've read the Quran and plenty of their history as well. I also dealt directly with many Muslims in Iraq. Your take is a political one, not one grounded in the debates about Islamic theology.
nortex97
AG
Sapper Redux said:

I've read the Quran and plenty of their history as well. I also dealt directly with many Muslims in Iraq. Your take is a political factual one, not one grounded in the debates about Islamic theology and the koran.
HTH. Feel free to point out the major western cities where muslims have migrated to, ever, that have experienced a decrease in the crimes I listed. Sometimes you have to accept data for what it is; dispositive.

Here is some information you might have missed while working with those wonderful Iraqi's/reading a translation of the koran without islamic instruction/training. (by Greg Davis)

Quote:

While in Mecca, though he condemned paganism (for the most part), Muhammad showed great respect for the monotheism of the Christian and Jewish inhabitants. Indeed, the Allah of the Quran claimed to be the same God worshipped by Jews and Christians, who now revealed himself to the Arab people through his chosen messenger, Muhammad. It is the Quranic revelations that came later in Muhammad's career, after he and the first Muslims left Mecca for the city of Medina, that transformed Islam from a relatively benign form of monotheism into an expansionary, military-political ideology that persists to this day.

Orthodox Islam does not accept that a rendering of the Quran into another language is a "translation" in the way that, say, the King James Bible is a translation of the original Hebrew and Greek Scriptures. A point often made by Islamic apologists to defang criticism is that only Arabic readers may understand the Quran. But Arabic is a language like any other and fully capable of translation. Indeed, most Muslims are not Arabic readers. In the below analysis, we use a translation of the Quran by two Muslim scholars, which may be found here. All parenthetical explanations in the text are those of the translators save for my interjections in braces, { }.

Those Westerners who manage to pick up a translation of the Quran are often left bewildered as to its meaning thanks to ignorance of a critically important principle of Quranic interpretation known as "abrogation." The principle of abrogation al-naskh wa al-mansukh (the abrogating and the abrogated) directs that verses revealed later in Muhammad's career "abrogate" i.e., cancel and replace earlier ones whose instructions they may contradict. Thus, passages revealed later in Muhammad's career, in Medina, overrule passages revealed earlier, in Mecca.

Quote:

...In contrast, take 9:5, commonly referred to as the "Verse of the Sword", revealed toward the end of Muhammad's life:
Quote:

9:5. Then when the Sacred Months (the 1st, 7th, 11th, and 12th months of the Islamic calendar) have passed, then kill the Mushrikun {unbelievers} wherever you find them, and capture them and besiege them, and prepare for them each and every ambush. But if they repent and perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat {the Islamic ritual prayers}), and give Zakat {alms}, then leave their way free. Verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
Having been revealed later in Muhammad's life than 50:45, 109, and 2:256, the Verse of the Sword abrogates their peaceful injunctions in accordance with 2:106. Sura 8, revealed shortly before Sura 9, reveals a similar theme:
Quote:

8:39. And fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief and polytheism: i.e. worshipping others besides Allah) and the religion (worship) will all be for Allah Alone [in the whole of the world]. But if they cease (worshipping others besides Allah), then certainly, Allah is All-Seer of what they do.8:67. It is not for a Prophet that he should have prisoners of war (and free them with ransom) until he had made a great slaughter (among his enemies) in the land. You desire the good of this world (i.e. the money of ransom for freeing the captives), but Allah desires (for you) the Hereafter. And Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise.
9:29. Fight against those who believe not in Allah, nor in the Last Day, nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth (i.e. Islam) among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.
9:33. It is He {Allah} Who has sent His Messenger (Muhammad) with guidance and the religion of truth (Islam), to make it superior over all religions even though the Mushrikun (polytheists, pagans, idolaters, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah) hate (it).
The Quran's commandments to Muslims to wage war in the name of Allah against non-Muslims are unmistakable. They are, furthermore, absolutely authoritative as they were revealed late in the Prophet's career and so cancel and replace earlier instructions to act peaceably. Without knowledge of the principle of abrogation, Westerners will continue to misread the Quran and misdiagnose Islam as a "religion of peace."
Much more at the link.
Sapper Redux
You're linking an Orthodox Christian for your explainer of Islam… why don't you ever read Muslim scholarship by practicing Muslims? What you're doing would be like getting your history of Christianity from Richard Dawkins.
nortex97
AG
Sapper Redux said:

You're linking an Orthodox Christian for your explainer of Islam… why don't you ever read Muslim scholarship by practicing Muslims? What you're doing would be like getting your history of Christianity from Richard Dawkins.
As usual, just attack the source, no substantive rebuttal. Figures. See: emoticon.

(And, btw, this isn't some bogus 'peer reviewed' paper on kids having sex changes/HRT from a trans organization. The book was written to be understood by illiterate nomads centuries ago when read to them.)
Sapper Redux
So your argument is "don't attack the source," which you defend by attacking a more methodologically rigorous source whose conclusions you don't agree with… Forgive me if I find you disingenuous.
canadiaggie
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

It's not so much that we miss the boat that we think the boat doesn't exist in the first place.

You don't need to be saved if there is no sin to atone for. Everyone is born ma'sum, or pure and innocent.
Jabin
Quote:

You don't need to be saved if there is no sin to atone for. Everyone is born ma'sum, or pure and innocent.
Genuine question because I have no idea: What do Muslims believe about sin later? Christians are not too different, even though many Christians believe in "original sin", they also believe in "the age of accountability", i.e., that children are not responsible or culpable until they reach that nebulously defined age.

How about Muslims? Do y'all believe in sin at all? If so, how is later sin handled?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.