American Gospel: Christ Alone

8,399 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by diehard03
Jim Hogg is angry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
swimmerbabe11
for an hour long video, you really gotta share some context to sell us on it.
PacifistAg
AG
From the wiki:
Quote:

The films adopt a Reformed theological perspective. They feature interviews with Voddie Baucham, Alistair Begg, Matt Chandler, Bryan Chapell, Alisa Childers, R. Scott Clark, Ray Comfort, Mark Dever, Kevin DeYoung, Michael Horton, Jackie Hill-Perry, Julius Kim, John F. MacArthur, John Piper, Nabeel Qureshi (who died in 2017, before the first film was released), and Paul Washer. Christ Crucified also has interviews with Bart Campolo and Tony Jones, whose views are being critiqued.

The series has had a mixed reception. Speaking in favor of the film and its mission, Owen Strachan of The Gospel Coalition stated that Christ Alone "champions the true, saving gospel, and it unpacks this message with clarity and conviction."

Just based on the names alone that are associated with it, I'll pass.
dermdoc
AG
I was going to ask about female speakers but to their credit they do have some.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
PacifistAg said:

From the wiki:
Quote:

The films adopt a Reformed theological perspective. They feature interviews with Voddie Baucham, Alistair Begg, Matt Chandler, Bryan Chapell, Alisa Childers, R. Scott Clark, Ray Comfort, Mark Dever, Kevin DeYoung, Michael Horton, Jackie Hill-Perry, Julius Kim, John F. MacArthur, John Piper, Nabeel Qureshi (who died in 2017, before the first film was released), and Paul Washer. Christ Crucified also has interviews with Bart Campolo and Tony Jones, whose views are being critiqued.

The series has had a mixed reception. Speaking in favor of the film and its mission, Owen Strachan of The Gospel Coalition stated that Christ Alone "champions the true, saving gospel, and it unpacks this message with clarity and conviction."

Just based on the names alone that are associated with it, I'll pass.
Yep. Since I am not a Calvinist, I doubt I would get much from it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
redcrayon
AG
Thanks for posting. I appreciate them exposing the false teaching that has invaded the American Protestant church.

No one should be afraid to watch because it may not fit your soteriology. I overlooked a few Marxist pastors that were featured. Being informed is better than being ignorant.

I plan to seek out the full versions of both of the documentaries.
PacifistAg
AG
Nobody is "afraid" to watch. Hth. Just because we are familiar enough with the names that we know we'd rather spend an hour + of our time on something else doesn't mean we're afraid. Piper...Macarthur...DeYoung...Strachan...I know enough about them to know my time is better devoted elsewhere. Of course, Owen blocked me on twitter for pointing out that ESS is borderline trinitarian heresy, so maybe he's "afraid".
dermdoc
AG
redcrayon said:

Thanks for posting. I appreciate them exposing the false teaching that has invaded the American Protestant church.

No one should be afraid to watch because it may not fit your soteriology. I overlooked a few Marxist pastors that were featured. Being informed is better than being ignorant.

Love you man but no fear of Calvinism.
redcrayon
AG
dermdoc said:

redcrayon said:

Love you man but no fear of Calvinism.
But maybe you're afraid to see some pastors you like exposed for spreading a false gospel.
dermdoc
AG
Like MacArthur and Piper? With their man made requirements of lordship salvation?

And it has nothing to do with the Gospel as that is very simple as Paul preached.

The Gospel is Good News. Man sinned, Christ died for our sins and the reconciliation of man and God, he arose, and sits at the right side of God.

That is the Gospel and if you believe you are saved just like Scripture repeatedly says.

Calvinism, Armenianism, free grace, lordship salvation, etc. are all theologies based on secondary things and not the Gospel itself.

Simple question, if you are a Calvinist and believe in TULIP, why do MacArthur and Piper require lordship salvation works that they define?

Do they not believe the U in TULIP stands for unconditional election?

And I am curious now my friend.

Which Marxist preachers do I like that are exposed?
diehard03
Quote:

Simple question, if you are a Calvinist and believe in TULIP, why do MacArthur and Piper require lordship salvation works that they define?

simple answer: They don't. A salvific faith, given by God himself, drives the individual to complete those "works". it's not a requirement to be saved - its the evidence of the salvation.

(note: I am not declaring myself in agreeance with lordship salvation. Just addressing the misunderstanding)
dermdoc
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

simple answer: They don't. A salvific faith, given by God himself, drives the individual to complete those "works". it's not a requirement to be saved - its the evidence of the salvation.

(note: I am not declaring myself in agreeance with lordship salvation. Just addressing the misunderstanding)

I understand the theology and what you posted.

IMHO, these guys sure seem to preach and write differently than what you posted.

How do they know exactly what is evidence for "exhibiting salvation".

Both seem to have requirements.
swimmerbabe11
I used to think I knew what post modernism and Marxism was but now I don't actually know anymore. I blame texags
PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I used to think I knew what post modernism and Marxism was but now I don't actually know anymore. I blame texags

I know. Any time I see someone use those terms, I tend to just tune them out. They've really become nothing but pejoratives for people who simply disagree with you.
redcrayon
AG
dermdoc said:

Like MacArthur and Piper? With their man made requirements of lordship salvation?

And it has nothing to do with the Gospel as that is very simple as Paul preached.

The Gospel is Good News. Man sinned, Christ died for our sins and the reconciliation of man and God, he arose, and sits at the right side of God.

That is the Gospel and if you believe you are saved just like Scripture repeatedly says.

Calvinism, Armenianism, free grace, lordship salvation, etc. are all theologies based on secondary things and not the Gospel itself.

I'm not a Calvinist.

I don't know if you like Marxist pastors. I was referring to Joel Osteen.

You should watch the video. The documentary part is only 40 mins (it's a truncated version.) But the testimonials at the end are worth watching as well. It would be interesting to see which parts you disagree with.
AGC
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

It's a feature, not a bug. Advance the dialectic.
redcrayon
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Edited to remove derail.

Sorry for the derail, Satoshi. I regret that my comment about the Marxist pastors will be used to avoid discussion of the documentary. I pray that those who need to see the video will watch.
diehard03
Quote:

IMHO, these guys sure seem to preach and write differently than what you posted.

You have to separate their actual doctrinal positions from their pandering to the issues of the day. I agree with you that both of those men need to practice what they preach more often...as do the rest of us.
dermdoc
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

You have to separate their actual doctrinal positions from their pandering to the issues of the day. I agree with you that both of those men need to practice what they preach more often...as do the rest of us.
Amen.
dermdoc
AG
redcrayon said:

dermdoc said:

I'm not a Calvinist.

I don't know if you like Marxist pastors. I was referring to Joel Osteen.

You should watch the video. The documentary part is only 40 mins (it's a truncated version.) But the testimonials at the end are worth watching as well. It would be interesting to see which parts you disagree with.
Will do. Thanks.

I will be honest that before watching I consider Calvinism as false a doctrine as the prosperity gospel.

Especially the Lordship salvation folks.

But nobody ever calls them on it.

At least Osteen is not controlling or condemning.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
redcrayon said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Edited to remove derail.

Sorry for the derail, Satoshi. I regret that my comment about the Marxist pastors will be used to avoid discussion of the documentary. I pray that those who need to see the video will watch.

No apology necessary. I didn't expect much discussion, and am grateful for your insight and edifying contributions. Thanks to everyone that posted, as it kept this thread from being buried. I hope that some might watch, and in due time come to repentance and saving faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
diehard03
Quote:

Will do. Thanks.

I will be honest that before watching I consider Calvinism as false a doctrine as the prosperity gospel.

I find that to be rather offensive to be honest. It's one thing to be considered wrong on issues outside of the essential doctrines about Jesus (and deserving rebuttal)...it's another thing to be considered the same as someone whos literally preying on people for financial gain.

it's ironic that you get all defensive about people being too judgmental, but don't mind casting that stone yourself.
dermdoc
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Will do. Thanks.

I find that to be rather offensive to be honest. It's one thing to be considered wrong on issues outside of the essential doctrines about Jesus (and deserving rebuttal)...it's another thing to be considered the same as someone whos literally preying on people for financial gain.

it's ironic that you get all defensive about people being too judgmental, but don't mind casting that stone yourself.
Fair enough. Of the three folks mentioned, who has been the most judgemental? Macarthur has basically stated if you have not met his five criteria you are not saved. Piper has stated unbaptized children go to hell. And if you collect seashells in retirement you are damned.

And fwiw, Piper and MacArthur are almost worth as much as Osteen.

And please know I mean this all in Christian love. Not a huge Osteen fan but those two really bother me.
diehard03
Quote:

Fair enough. Of the three folks mentioned, who has been the most judgemental? Macarthur has basically stated if you have not met his five criteria you are not saved. Piper has stated unbaptized children go to hell. And if you collect seashells in retirement you are damned.

And please know I mean this all in Christian love. Not a huge Osteen fan but those two really bother me.

I can't tell if you really hate these guys enough to call them akin to the prosperity gospel or you just dont know enough about it.
dermdoc
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I can't tell if you really hate these guys enough to call them akin to the prosperity gospel or you just dont know enough about it.
I sincerely apologize if I conveyed that I hated anyone. I just disagree with their theology and their sometimes heavy handed way of delivering it.

I think I know what the prosperity gospel is and I do not see that specifically with Osteen. I do not think he is preying on people for money. Obviously a lot of Christians disagree with me on that. Maybe you are correct and I do not know enough about the "prosperity gospel" to be as discerning about that as I should. I will pray for wisdom and discernment.

And I will watch the video.
dermdoc
AG
Watched the entire video and agree especially with the preaching of the Gospel at every sermon. I am no longer listening to Osteen.

Still not a Macarthur or Piper fan. Sorry.
dermdoc
AG
And I am very much in agreement that man can not save himself and that only Jesus can save us. But the problem I have is when the same guys who are preaching Grace alone then seem to preach certain requirements to "prove" you are saved.

That is not the Gospel. People who retire and collect seashells are not going to hell. There are not five requirements to prove you are saved and know the Lord.

All that you need to do is believe the Gospel and the finished work of Jesus.
redcrayon
AG
dermdoc said:

Watched the entire video and agree especially with the preaching of the Gospel at every sermon. I am no longer listening to Osteen.

Still not a Macarthur or Piper fan. Sorry.
Props for watching.
Legal Custodian
AG
dermdoc said:

People who retire and collect seashells are not going to hell.
Man, I have not seen someone take a paragraph out of book and run with it since....a Calvinist.

Seriously though, you bring that up in almost all of your diatribes against Piper. You must really like collecting seashells
dermdoc
AG
Nah, but I like going to Aggie sporting events and am sure he thinks that is wasting my life also.

After LSU, maybe it is.
Frok
AG
Wasting time is what we do as humans. Like right now for me....what am I doing here?
diehard03
Quote:

Nah, but I like going to Aggie sporting events and am sure he thinks that is wasting my life also.

There's nothing wrong with Aggie sporting events or hobbies or even having a dignified retirement. He's preaching against the seduction of the American Dream that says you chase after materialism.

I think you would agree that someone who solely spent the resources God provided them on going to Aggie sporting events to be a waste. No one on this board believes you do such a thing. There's no guilt or shame about your spending here. But, we are thankful that, even if they are abrasive and approach it the wrong way, there are pastors willing to lay the challenge before us so we can check our own hearts.
PA24
AG
dermdoc said:

I like you Dem but you don't know what you are taking about. Calvinist teach by grace alone and not works.
Your beef should be with the brother of Christ, the apostle James. He spoke of works, but really more Like a Calvinist, the believe that your faith will cause u to produce good fruit but Calvinist do not teach that those works will get u in heaven.

Calvinist are hardcore Christians, and I find JM teachings directly out of the gospel fascinating. From the Good Samaritan to Nicodemus, he brings the characters to life. A powerful orator teaching in the same church for over 50 years. I don't agree with everything he writes or says and I am not a Calvinist,

Calvinist also teach from the KJV which I have read and continue to read.

dermdoc
AG
PA24 said:

dermdoc said:

I like you Dem but you don't know what you are taking about. Calvinist teach by grace alone and not works.
Your beef should be with the brother of Christ, the apostle James. He spoke of works, but really more Like a Calvinist, the believe that your faith will cause u to produce good fruit but Calvinist do not teach that those works will get u in heaven.

Calvinist are hardcore Christians, and I find JM teachings directly out of the gospel fascinating. From the Good Samaritan to Nicodemus, he brings the characters to life. A powerful orator teaching in the same church for over 50 years. I don't agree with everything he writes or says and I am not a Calvinist,

Calvinist also teach from the KJV which I have read and continue to read.

First of all, I like you also.

Are you familiar with Lordship salvation as preached by Macarthur and Piper? Very much a works based salvation model imho.

And what is a "hardcore" Christian? Where is that in the Bible?

My understanding is that through God's grace if I have faith in the finished work of Christ crucified and resurrected then I am born again, emdued with the Holy Spirit, and assured of eternal life.

What do I have to do other than that?

Sure seems like the Lordship salvation guys want evidence of more.
dermdoc
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with Aggie sporting events or hobbies or even having a dignified retirement. He's preaching against the seduction of the American Dream that says you chase after materialism.

I think you would agree that someone who solely spent the resources God provided them on going to Aggie sporting events to be a waste. No one on this board believes you do such a thing. There's no guilt or shame about your spending here. But, we are thankful that, even if they are abrasive and approach it the wrong way, there are pastors willing to lay the challenge before us so we can check our own hearts.

I agree with you. The problem I have with Piper is when he implies that you could lose your salvation if you "waste your life" as he describes it. He states that implicitly in his book on retirement..

And nothing wrong with a pastor exhorting his flock to do more with their lives for Christ. It is when you tie "evidence" of salvation to works that I have a problem. How much or what do I have to do to satisfy Piper and Macarthur?

Of course, he will say as a Calvinist that means you were never really one of the elect anyway. It just seems like a very condemning theology. I hope he is not correct.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.