Spanish Pipedream

2,401 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ulrich
EW2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Not sure if this is the right section for this topic...

I'm a father of two young kids, married, disabled veteran. Been battling lately and feel like I'm losing ground permanently. I have a mortgage, decent job, benefits, 401k, all that BS.. I'm tired. Exhausted. Still wake up everyday and do what I have to do, if only for my kids. I almost wrote that I'm "not sure" if I can do this until retirement age, but I know I can't. I regularly daydream of checking out of the rat race, buying land and slowing down. I feel like it would really help me long term. Maybe I'd be able to get off the cocktail of head meds that numb me. And that it would really be therapeutic and healing to live on a plot of land, away from "modern" culture and all the headaches that come with it. I get a little chunk of change from the gubmint every month, so I guess my dream is to get to a point where I can live off of that, maybe have a little business where I turn my wood working hobby into something more.

At the end of the day, my wife won't entertain the idea. She likes living in the burbs and prioritizes the kids going to a "good" public school over anything else - we cannot afford private school. Whenever I talk about doing something other than this, she acts like I'm selfish, irrational and immature. Don't get me wrong, she's a wonderful wife and mother and I love the woman for it. And to be clear, I don't intend to divorce or separate, but these ideas are starting to feel like a need, not a want. It feels like a necessary change and I need it to happen within the next few years.

I'm not quite sure what I'm expecting by posting this. I guess I'm looking for some guidance or advice from other fathers. I've had two friends from the military take their lives and, in their memory, have promised to be open with discussing mental health issues, regardless of consequence or judgment from others. This has been on my mind for a while, so I'm putting it out there. Thanks for reading and any constructive responses.
Serotonin
AG
Sounds like you are pretty mentally exhausted from current lifestyle. I don't think you're alone in that regard.

Are y'all involved in a church community where you can talk to the pastor or someone about this? I think personalized advice/help is almost always better than what you might find here!

There's a good book called Lost Connections that I'd recommend reading if you are interested. It dives into the drivers of the issues you're describing and has some good practical advice:
https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Connections-Uncovering-Depression-Unexpected/dp/163286830X
craigernaught
AG
Perhaps this is a dumb question, but have you spoken to a therapist or a mental health professional about the issues presented here? You say that you have a cocktail of head meds so I'm sure you've met with someone. But if you haven't spoken to a therapist about your your feelings of exhaustion and your need to make a change, or at the very least how your goals and needs are diverging from your wife's (and both you and your wife's needs here seem perfectly legitimate), it may be good to do so.

My wife and I both left our jobs and backpacked for a year when we were 30. Best year of my life. Some people do that kind of thing with kids but now that I have one I don't really know how that's possible. The change was good for us and opened up new possibilities. Making big changes is terrifying, exciting, and can be rejuvenating. But hopefully any change you make can be made with the full support of your family.

I pray for the best for you and your family and that you find what you need. Hopefully people here can provide helpful feedback and support.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I wish I had 3 hours and a few beers with you to go into detail, because I've been there. To keep the board free of my personal drama, I'll be brief. Life, work, a marriage, and kids can be too much. You have to make sacrifices somewhere whether you want to or not. My personal recommendation would be to cut way back on your spending, live below your means, and use that flexibility to take some time and stress out of your job. That way you're not shortchanging your wife, kids, or social life/mental health. It's even better if you can incorporate your family or friends into your work or your stress relief and hit two birds with one stone. Short term just focus on making your life bearable, and then work toward a long term goal that will make you and all your people happy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Win At Life
AG
What does any of this have to do with Spain?
Aggrad08
AG
Sometimes you need a wholesale change and sometimes you just need a reset.

When is the last time you took a vacation? A real one, not just a long weekend?

And seconded to talk to a therapist. Mental health is health.

Sometimes reducing your spending and reducing your work can happen, sometimes it can't. Certain jobs just demand a lot of time and stress. Mine is one such, but even still I did manage to make some changes around my office to have others pull more weight (mine was an unequal burden, this only works if you do more than your fair share) and I'm continuing to do so.

Don't try and slog for a decade if the status quo doesn't work. Find some changes you can make.
AGC
AG
This is absolutely the correct forum.

I second the therapist recommendations.

What support do you have in terms of friends, neighbors, family, church where you're at? Who's sharing your burden?
Martin Q. Blank
Wife, two kids, house, and a decent job. What are you tired/exhausted from?

Moving your family to the country to live off the government and start a wood working shop is not the answer.
Serotonin
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Probably from using his prime years sitting at a desk staring at a bright screen for a job without any intrinsic meaning other than enriching shareholders he'll never meet in order to help his kids get to college so that they can repeat the same process?
Martin Q. Blank
Serotonin said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Probably from using his prime years sitting at a desk staring at a bright screen for a job without any intrinsic meaning other than enriching shareholders he'll never meet in order to help his kids get to college so that they can repeat the same process?

"work unto the Lord and not unto men"
dermdoc
AG
I went through a period like that(everybody does). Agree with getting help from a therapist but not one that just writes prescriptions. Sit down and talk to your wife honestly about where you, even take a weekend or week where it is just y'all if possible.

Do not be too proud(as I was) to ask for help. Talking to your pastor is good but I find a small group or Bible study with men your own age is priceless.

And I used to feel guilt and shame because I felt those things. I mean, my faith should be sufficient and I should always be "happy", correct?

Do not go there. Trust me, it can become a dark place.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PA24
AG
Yep, I think it is in man's blood to want to move to the country and live off the land.

Always remember how you got where you are and where you came from.

Personally, I think a small town environment like a Graham or say Brady is healthier for the family than a sub of the metroplex, Houston, or SAT.

I say start looking,

Find a small town that has a nice size lake.
Possum Kingdom is a good start.
PA24
AG
One more thing. Bible tells us our priority in order:
1.) GOD
2.) spouse
3.) Kids

Pray with your wife and he will lead.
PA24
AG
I apologize for this in advance.

GasPasser97
AG
So glad you posted this.

I've been through (and am still in the midst of) similar issues.

I can't help you on the spousal end of things, but I can sympathize very deeply with your exhaustion.

I, too, am blessed with a beautiful family…and feel guilty about complaining. But exhaustion down past your bones and into your soul is something I can relate to.

It's beyond anything medicine or alcohol (in my case) or drugs (in others case) or sleep (in my case, again) can cure.

I don't want to sound "preachy" in the sense that the world seems or wants to offer…but searching for God's voice is the most important step.

After that, find a way to "get small"…in what you think you and your family needs.

We are continually downsizing our lives and it has only brought us more happiness.

I make a very nice salary and it hasn't made us happier. Getting "smaller" has.

Work towards simplifying your life so you have more energy to devote to your family.

In the end, that's all you will care about.

It's a never ending struggle to do what you think is best for your family…but never lose sight of the fact that the most important thing for them is that you are present and "in the moment."

I will pray for you and hope you will do the same for me.

Let's pray that you and I will come to a deep understanding that we will never make our families happier by what we have, provide, or achieve.

Instead, let's pray for each other that, through becoming "smaller," we can find a deep sense of contentment…and that our families flourish through that sense of peace.

I've fought this battle daily for years…but I'm finally starting to stack some victories with the help of God.

If I can, you most certainly can.

By the way…I took a step back in that battle tonight (as you will)…but I have gained enough small victories to give me true hope.

Never give up…fight to get smaller, for the sake of
your family (which wouldn't exist and can't thrive without you)….and know that you are never alone in this struggle.

Many of us are fighting the same fight…you will never be alone in this…and God will never abandon you if you seek for Him and ask for His help.

Never give up…never give in…and illegitimi non carborundum

Godspeed
Quad Dog
AG
What do any of us know, talk to a professional.
I'd warn that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. You've built up moving to the country as the solution to your problems, but you'd probably just be trading city problems for country problems. It also doesn't sound like your wife or kids would be happy with that decision.

Focus on the things that matter, turn off the news and social media, drink less, sleep more, get your medication figured out with a pro, and that will probably help more than anything else.
chimpanzee
Simplicity is very attractive in the midst of an overcomplicated life. I completely sympathize with the pressures that you describe, it's going to be very common.

Wholesale change is going to be agonizingly stressful, especially if it isn't your wife's idea. Incremental change is entirely possible and likely a better way to see if that impulse is ultimately satisfying. I'm looking for these same opportunities myself.

You're nowhere near alone on this, we're happy to discuss, but contacting with a real human might be beneficial too (I'm pretty bad at that part myself).

Best of luck, God Bless.
Buck Turgidson
Don't let this fester unresolved too long. My best friend (a loyal Ag), whom I've known since before we were old enough to walk, was chronically overwhelmed by similar concerns and he shot himself a few weeks ago. None of us knew just how bad off he had gotten because he kept it somewhat bottled-up. His sister was scheduled to come up to visit him in just three days to take him to get him help. He couldn't even see three days into the future - he reached the point where he just had to stop it right that minute, no matter the consequences.

Basically he was overwhelmed trying to pay child support to his blood sucking ex, support wife #2, child #2 and autistic BIL in proper suburbanite style all while being stressed out and overloaded at work. After suffering for a period of years, he just couldn't stand even one more day. Antidepressants worked temporarily, but then he got even worse.

Either you have to make peace with your circumstances or change them.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
How you doing OP?
PabloSerna
AG
"Got a wife and kids in Baltimore, Jack
I went out for a ride and I never went back
Like a river that don't know where it's flowing
I took a wrong turn and I just kept going"

- Bruce Springsteen, "Hungry Heart"

+++

When I read your post, that song came to mind. If only because, I cannot imagine doing that to my family. Maybe it is the example Jesus gave us, laying down his life and all, but I cannot relate to just leaving the wife and kids.

I would hold out and finish what you started. Get some help. Try to remember what brought you and your wife together. Turn to God to infuse love back into your relationship. Make God a partner in your family in a very real way - like going to Church and praying together, even if its just at meals.

The opposite of despair is hope. Hope comes from God. I'll pray for you brother!

+pablo

Post removed:
by user
EW2
S
I haven't had time to respond to all the great responses individually, so I've put this off which I shouldn't have considering all the genuine responses yall provided.

Yes, I'm ok. Sorry for leaving that up in the air for a while. I've read every response. Even started reading the book that the first poster suggested.

There were a lot of responses that centered on faith. I'm not active in a church, and besides being forced to go to church as a kid by my mom, only possess a passive positive interest and hope for turning a corner at some point in my life with my faith. Recently read a book a few months ago called "Fatherless Generation," by John Sowers. A basic summary and the main idea of the book is that a mans relationship and opinion of God can be tied to our relationship with our own father. For me, it makes sense. I have always wanted to believe, much like I have always wanted to have a relationship with my dad. But despite trying to connect, the effort has not been reciprocated. That has made me feel unwanted and less-than since I can remember, so maybe there's some reluctance to try to have a relationship with God if the book is right. Wouldn't normally share so openly with strangers, or anyone else for that matter. Maybe someone can relate, though. In Lucero's "The War", one my favorite bands and songs, there's a line that goes like this "I'd be no guest at the table of the Lord, his food was not to be mine, cuz I cursed his name every chance that I could, I reckon that's why I'm still alive." I decided to forgive him recently, if only for my own sake, so maybe that will help.

For the guy who asked why I named this thread "Spanish Pipedream", it's a John Prine song. It came on when I was writing my OP and kinda went with what I was talking about, so I figured that for the title.

As for therapy and professionals, I was off and on with VA mental health for about two years but they seemed more interested in gauge me on standardized assessments instead of genuinely helping. I see a private therapist once a week now and also work with a psychiatrist for head meds.

The wife and I have talked about a lot recently about expectations, desires and have a plan that more or less is a meet in the middle solution. Doing better with that out in the open and agreed upon. Just have to be patient. I'm still intent on turning my hobby into a business and treat it like one when I'm out there in the shop. I've mostly done small projects and gifts for friends, family and my daughters school but the time to prove I can turn a profit is here and I'm very confident in that.

I'll end this reply so it doesn't turn into its own book. Plan on responding more when I can. Thanks again to those who gave feedback and support. GIg'em
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
Quote:

"work unto the Lord and not unto men"

I agree with you on working for God. The Bhagavad Gita is incredibly clear to conduct our work for God and to ficus on the work, not the result.
swimmerbabe11
I love that song and Lucero is one of my favorite bands ever. Literally wearing a Lucero tshirt right now.

I feel like almost everyone goes through a phase of a portion of life where they are mad at God .. at least a little.
I definitely did.

I didn't respond initially, but I want you to know that I'm praying for you too. Sometimes just the act of being alive is exhausting. Sometimes, hearing that other people are going through that provides some solidarity and I think I needed that this afternoon too.

Ulrich
I'd start by figuring out what is actually making you feel overwhelmed and dig deeply into that to discover ways to alleviate that pressure without making a wholesale lifestyle change. As others have mentioned, there's a chance that you could spend a bunch of money changing your physical location only to find that you brought the same problems with you. Have you ever lived in the country?

I've been struggling with these same problems since I was 16. Go to work, hate what you're doing, and look up to see more of the same stretching out into infinity. And I'm also planning to retire to the country to be my own boss, although it's easier because I don't have a family (and I grew up in the country so I know I like it). But I've also tried, in my bumbling way, to solve the problem without such an extreme change.

After all, the worst that can happen is that you're happy sooner, and even happier when you move to Idyll Acres. For me, I suspect the answer is to spend more time with friends and on hobbies to keep life in perspective. Do you have friends that you can go watch a game or otherwise unplug for a while?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.