Evil Paul teaches works based salvation, Heretic!

2,061 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by OLD MAN, INTERRUPTED
OLD MAN, INTERRUPTED
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1 Corinthians 15:58 ESV / 22 helpful votes
Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.

Philippians 2:12
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,

1 Timothy 5:8

But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

1 Thessalonians 1:3
Remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 16:13
Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong

Romans 2: 6-8
He will render to each one according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life; but for those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury.
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." -Romans 6:23
OLD MAN, INTERRUPTED
Repentance is a Work! Faith is a Work! Don't do either! You would be earning your Salvation! Works based salvation is evil! Right?! These are the conclusions of the philosophies of men.

The Bible characterizes repentance and faith as work. Does practicing faith and repentance contradict the Gospel of free grace? Or do the unbiblical teachings of men destroy the Gospel?

Jonah 3:10
'And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that"

Remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

The Bible teaches salvation does not come from works but from faith that produces works. We will be judged based on our fruits of faith. We will not be justified by our beliefs but by our faith characterized by works; works resulting from faith.
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." -Romans 6:23
codker92
AG
OLD MAN, INTERRUPTED said:

Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,

But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

He will render to each one according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life; but for those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury.

Keep your white guilt. I will stick to the honor system.
dermdoc
AG

Repentance is a Work! Faith is a Work! Don't do either! You would be earning your Salvation! Works based salvation is evil! Right?! These are the conclusions of the philosophies of men.

The Bible characterizes repentance and faith as work. Does practicing faith and repentance contradict the Gospel of free grace? Or do the unbiblical teachings of men destroy the Gospel?

Jonah 3:10
'And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that"

The Bible teaches salvation does not come from works but from faith that produces works. We will be judged based on our fruits of faith. We will not justified by our beliefs but by faith characterized by works; works resulting from faith.

First of all, define what you mean by repentance. I used to think that meant punishing yourself out of guilt which definitely would be a "work". Repentance actually means to turn or change one's mind. I personally believe the Spirit causes this when one believes and is born again.

Faith is a different matter as to whether it is generated by us or God. And this argument will not be settled until the Lord returns and has caused much division in the church. I personally believe that God's grace is for all men and we through faith and free will either accept it or reject it. In other words, I am not a Calvinist. And if you want to call that a "work", I agree with you.

I know of no Christians who think "works" are evil. The disagreement becomes whether man is capable of responding to God's grace and that is where the fireworks begin. I have decided as long as you know Christ and are justified by faith in Him that it really does not matter whether God did it all or we generated faith. The outcome is the same in producing a regenerate believer.

And I personally think this disagreement is futile. We are all brothers in Christ. Do not let a non salvific issue divide us.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
Acts 16:31
Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved - you and your household.

Seems pretty simple and straightforward to me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
codker92 said:

Keep your white guilt. I will stick to the honor system.

You and your sock aren't really making much sense.
Solo Tetherball Champ
dermdoc said:

Well...

"…But someone will say, "You have faith and I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe thatand shudder. O foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is worthless?…"

- James 2:18ish - 20ish

dermdoc
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

dermdoc said:

Well...

"…But someone will say, "You have faith and I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. [url=https://biblehub.com/greek/4771.htm][/url]You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe thatand shudder.[url=https://biblehub.com/greek/5425.htm][/url] O foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is worthless?…"

James was talking to believers. Christians who had already been saved. I am all for works. I think we should be very cautious judging other Christians based upon our view of their works.

And it gets to be a pretty slippery slope. What works? How many works are enough? Who defines that?

I find it interesting that Calvinist leaders like MacArthur and Piper emphasize the need for works(that they usually define)to prove to them and other Christians that you are one of the elect.

For all the bluster, it is very similar to Catholic theology except for the Pope. Of course that makes sense as it is all based on Augustine's theology.
Solo Tetherball Champ
dermdoc said:

dermdoc said:

Well...

"…But someone will say, "You have faith and I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. [url=https://biblehub.com/greek/4771.htm][/url]You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe thatand shudder.[url=https://biblehub.com/greek/5425.htm][/url] O foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is worthless?…"

James was talking to believers. Christians who had already been saved. I am all for works. I think we should be very cautious judging other Christians based upon our view of their works.

And it gets to be a pretty slippery slope. What works? How many works are enough? Who defines that?

I find it interesting that Calvinist leaders like MacArthur and Piper emphasize the need for works(that they usually define)to prove to them and other Christians that you are one of the elect.

For all the bluster, it is very similar to Catholic theology except for the Pope. Of course that makes sense as it is all based on Augustine's theology.

I simply tossed that verse as a response to your comment about it being straightforward and simple. It clearly is more than merely belief. How we live is clearly a part of that equation.

It's great that you're asking those questions. We all should.
dermdoc
AG
Oh I agree. We are supposed to constantly examine ourselves to ensure that we are doing what God's will is for our life. And we should pray for wisdom and discernment about all that.

The problem is when Christians start judging other Christians based upon what they think are appropriate works for the other Christians.
DirtDiver

Quote:

Why is a believers labor not in vain?

1 Corinthians 3:10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each person must be careful how he builds on it. 11 For no one can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, or straw, 13 each one's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each one's work. 14 If anyone's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet only so as through fire.

From the same book of the Bible. Believers are rewarded for faithfulness and can lose rewards for lack of faithfulness. Nothing about losing one's salvation here. To claim that 1 Cor. 15:1-4 was dismissed.

Quote:

Entire book of Philippians, written to believers who are already saved. This is not a verse telling people to work FOR their salvation. God is already at work in them = saved form hell.

12 So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who is at work in you, both to desire and to work for His good pleasure.

Quote:

Paul often uses inflammatory language to drive points. See Galatians 1. He's not saying they have lost their salvation. Believers deny the faith every time we sin.

Quote:

Nothing do with salvation. Most of the NT letters are encouraging believers to work and produce fruit. Becoming saved is free and a one point in time transaction. Following Christ in a life of obedience is costly, hard, and will take a believers lifetime.

Quote:

Instructions to believers who are already saved.

Quote:

Eternal life is used in the NT as a destination for believers and at times as a reward for obedience. If one interprets this as, only those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality go to heaven. the rest of Romans tells us that no one does this. No one seeks God or does good. followed by....

4 Now to the one who works, the wages are not credited as a favor, but as what is due. 5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness, 6 just as David also speaks of the blessing of the person to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:
7 "Blessed are those whose lawless deeds have been forgiven,
And whose sins have been covered.
8 Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will not take into account."

Matthew 9:11 And when the Pharisees saw this, they said to His disciples, "Why is your Teacher eating with the tax collectors and sinners?" 12 But when Jesus heard this, He said, "It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick. 13 Now go and learn what this means: 'I desire compassion, rather than sacrifice,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
dermdoc
AG
Great post.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard a Christian say "He/she are not REAL Christians because they don't or do something" I would be a rich man.
OLD MAN, INTERRUPTED
This is the most inaccurate part of your post due to a misunderstanding of terminology:

"Eternal life is used in the NT as a destination for believers and at times as a reward for obedience. If one interprets this as, only those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality go to heaven. the rest of Romans tells us that no one does this. No one seeks God or does good. followed by....

4 Now to the one who works, the wages are not credited as a favor, but as what is due. 5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness, 6 just as David also speaks of the blessing of the person to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:
8 Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will not take into account.""

The "works" Paul is referring here is works of the law, not good works. This confounds two separate subjects. This is the very common error on this matter of faith and works. Your logical deduction would be correct if Paul were speaking here of good works, but he is not.

dermdoc
AG

This is the most inaccurate part of your post due to a misunderstanding of terminology:

"Eternal life is used in the NT as a destination for believers and at times as a reward for obedience. If one interprets this as, only those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality go to heaven. the rest of Romans tells us that no one does this. No one seeks God or does good. followed by....

8 Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will not take into account.""

The "works" Paul is referring here is works of the law, not good works. This confounds two separate subjects. This is the very common error on this matter of faith and works. Your logical deduction would be correct if Paul were speaking here of good works, but he is not.

I am confused by your theology. Are you saying works are necessary for salvation or are a product of salvation?

And what works are specifically required? Mother Teresa works? Or ordinary Joe works?
Solo Tetherball Champ
dermdoc said:

Oh I agree. We are supposed to constantly examine ourselves to ensure that we are doing what God's will is for our life. And we should pray for wisdom and discernment about all that.

The problem is when Christians start judging other Christians based upon what they think are appropriate works for the other Christians.

Judging or discerning is not the issue, it is being hypocritical judges. The whole bit about the speck in your brothers eye and the plank in your own and all that:

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

If we were not supposed to judge or discern, Jesus wouldn't say "By their fruit you shall know them":

"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them."

dermdoc
AG

dermdoc said:

Judging or discerning is not the issue, it is being hypocritical judges. The whole bit about the speck in your brothers eye and the plank in your own and all that:

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

If we were not supposed to judge or discern, Jesus wouldn't say "By their fruit you shall know them":

"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them."

My problem after being Deacon chair twice and holding other leadership roles in the church was not with hypocritical judging but with petty judging.

Lots of busy bodies which we were told not to be.
DirtDiver

Quote:

It's not an "either-or" it's a "both-and"

Paul argues that those who do not have the law are as guilty as those with the law. All are under sin. The works of the law AND goods deeds, acts of obedience by those who do not have the law both do not save. People are saved apart from works (works of the law or good works) by faith in Jesus.

He states this in multiple ways throughout his letters. Notice the commands below are written to believers who are already saved. These saved people need reminders to obey..Verse 1, makes the case that God saved them on the basis of grace apart from righteous deeds.

Titus 3 Remind them to be subject to rulers, to authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good deed, 2 to slander no one, not to be contentious, to be gentle, showing every consideration for all people. 3 For we too were once foolish, disobedient, deceived, enslaved to various lusts and pleasures, spending our life in malice and envy, hateful, hating one another. 4 But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, 5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we did in righteousness, but in accordance with His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom He richly poured out upon us through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Sb1540
"Regarding the debate about faith and works: It's like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most important."
C. S. Lewis
BluHorseShu
AG
Orthodox Texan said:

"Regarding the debate about faith and works: It's like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most important."
C. S. Lewis
Good quote for explaining. The debate seems to be more about whether the works as a Christian are an extension of our faith (faith as both spiritual and actionable expression) or just as a result of the Holy Spirit working through us because we had an initial point of commitment of faith. I don't think anyone here believes works alone gets you to heaven
OLD MAN, INTERRUPTED
DirtDiver said:

It's not an "either-or" it's a "both-and"

Paul argues that those who do not have the law are as guilty as those with the law. All are under sin. The works of the law AND goods deeds, acts of obedience by those who do not have the law both do not save. People are saved apart from works (works of the law or good works) by faith in Jesus.

He states this in multiple ways throughout his letters. Notice the commands below are written to believers who are already saved. These saved people need reminders to obey..Verse 1, makes the case that God saved them on the basis of grace apart from righteous deeds.

Titus 3 Remind them to be subject to rulers, to authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good deed, 2 to slander no one, not to be contentious, to be gentle, showing every consideration for all people. 3 For we too were once foolish, disobedient, deceived, enslaved to various lusts and pleasures, spending our life in malice and envy, hateful, hating one another. 4 But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, 5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we did in righteousness, but in accordance with His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom He richly poured out upon us through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Paul does distinguish between "works of the law" and "good works". He has separate teachings for both subjects.

Man did nothing before (or after) Christ's atoning work to merit it. This is called grace. Grace is available by faith. Faith in the human is a work of both Man and God. God moves first, and man is responsible for his choice to accept or reject. Faith has biblical characteristics that discipline men to put to death the deeds of the flesh by the Spirit of God living in man and to be zealous for good deeds. To be willfully blind to the accountability of faith, as works are, is to test the spirit of God and imperil the soul. The works do not save, but evidence and prove the faith that saves by grace. By teaching good works(not works of the law), Paul, by resounding the joy of hope found in Christ, demonstrates God's purpose for his people of faith, to be zealous for good woks, to be the salt of the earth and lights in the darkness.

You have studied. Good. But you have more to learn so as to not miss the central ideas countering your unbiblical views that even surround the excerpts you use.

Quote his excerpt.

Titus Chapter 2:

1But as for you, speak the things that are consistent with sound doctrine.

7In everything, show yourself to be an example by doing good works. In your teaching show integrity, dignity, 8and wholesome speech that is above reproach, so that anyone who opposes us will be ashamed to have nothing bad to say about us.

9Slaves are to submit to their own masters in everything, to be well-pleasing, not argumentative, 10not stealing from them, but showing all good faith, so that in every respect they will adorn the teaching about God our Savior

11For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to everyone. 12It instructs us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live sensible, upright, and godly lives in the present age, 13as we await the blessed hope and glorious appearance of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ. 14He gave Himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds.

Titus Chapter 3:

6This is the Spirit He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7so that, having been justified by His grace, we would become heirs with the hope of eternal life. 8This saying is trustworthy. And I want you to emphasize these things, so that those who have believed God will take care to devote themselves to good deeds. These things are excellent and profitable for the people.

13Do your best to equip Zenas the lawyer and Apollos, so that they will have everything they need. 14And our people must also learn to devote themselves to good works in order to meet the pressing needs of others, so that they will not be unfruitful

FIDO95
AG
Orthodox Texan said:

C. S. Lewis

That sums it up perfect. Thanks for posting. You can't have one without the other unless you're on your deathbed a declare Christ as you Lord and savior and ask for repentance. If your able body and you accept Christ, you best be living a life for His glory to the best of your ability. But keep in mind Matthew 6:

6 "Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.

2 "Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
NowhereMan
Wow - Read all of chapter 15 1st Cor, it is all about Gods work, death and resurrection, verse 58 is the conclusion abide in that work, it wont be in vain. The Lords work.

You have to read more than a verse to get the context.

dermdoc
AG
PaulTony said:

Wow - Read all of chapter 15 1st Cor, it is all about Gods work, death and resurrection, verse 58 is the conclusion abide in that work, it wont be in vain. The Lords work.

You have to read more than a verse to get the context.

That is a beautiful chapter of the Bible and gives us just a glimpse of the coming glory we can look forward to.

Thanks.
LIB

is "surrendering "a work? I picture it as giving up when I realize my work will not get the job of salvation done.
OLD MAN, INTERRUPTED
Here is the passsage in this chapter that speaks to yielding your fleshly/natural man to the spiritual man in conformity to the willing and empowerment of the Holy Spirit in hope/confidence, fear and trembling. Those that do not do this are shamed/cut off and burned.

1 Corinthians 15: 29-34

29Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead? 30And why stand we in jeopardy every hour? 31I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our LORD, I die daily. 32If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantages it me, if the dead rise not? let us eat and drink; for to morrow we die. 33Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. 34Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

Works are the fruits of true faith. They are evidence of salvific faith, not salvation themselves or in combination with faith in Christ. But it is not a saving faith that is fruitless because the branch connected to the vine(faith) is alive and naturally bears fruit. This fruit is submitted as evidence for faith at God's Judgement.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.