The Day of The Lord Podcast Recommendation

1,582 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by one MEEN Ag
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just thought I'd share a great podcast recommendation about The Day of The Lord. Our bible study is going through Acts and we came to part in where Peter brings up old prophecies and it ends with talking about The Day of The Lord. Our group mostly just glazed over those words without understanding what they meant for the jewish congregations. I was like, we gotta stop and talk about this for a second and how Jesus is the beautiful twist on it.

I highly recommend this series. Its lengthy, 7 parts that are about an hour long each. But if you listen to the whole thing, you'll 'get it' and understand just how incredible the twists of Jesus as a savior are and what Jesus sees when even good people pick up the sword. The episode about Solomon is incredible by the way. I've always thought Solomon was a 'good wise king' who just liked having lots of wives. That his story was about the downfall of lust. But thats not the story at all. Solomon, even with given wisdom, immediately starts running a kingdom just like any other king. Slaves, subjugation, war, peace treaties with bad actors, building up gold for himself, a palace more opulent than the temple. That wisdom on this earth and following Gods words are two mutually exclusive things.

https://bibleproject.com/podcast/series/day-of-the-lord-series/

Just an awesome series.
1st Generation Ag
I taught Sunday school for a time, and I explained to the kids that The Day of the Lord is not a nice day.

I didn't tell them this, but the Supper of the Lord is not nice either.

I'll check out that podcast.
dermdoc
AG
1st Generation Ag said:

I taught Sunday school for a time, and I explained to the kids that The Day of the Lord is not a nice day.

I didn't tell them this, but the Supper of the Lord is not nice either.

I'll check out that podcast.
Why is the Day of the Lord not "nice" for believers? I used to believe the same way but now I look forward to Jesus returning.

I am assured of my salvation and am tired of death, disease, poverty, politics, greed, war, hate, division, etc.

And I love Jesus and want to see Him.

And may I ask what you mean by the Supper of the Lord? If you mean the feast we will share with the Lord, it will be the best food, wine, fellowship ever.

Remember the Gospel means good news.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
And not jumping on you, but I was taught the same way. And it made me want to reject the Lord because of fear and self loathing.

Took me years of study, prayer, and contemplation to understand that Christ's atonement made me appear righteous before Almighty God. And that there is nothing to fear.

I mean, eternal life with the Lord will be awesome. Thanks be to the Lord.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
1st Generation Ag
The Day of the Lord is a good day, but not a nice one. There will be no niceties on that day.

The Supper of the Lord refers to Revelation 19:17-21:

"Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and with a loud voice he called to all the birds that fly directly overhead, 'Come, gather for the great supper of God, to eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of mighty men, the flesh of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all men, both free and slave, both small and great.' And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth with their armies gathered to make war against him who was sitting on the horse and against his army. And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur. And the rest were slain by the sword that came forth from the mouth of him who was sitting on the horse, and all the birds were gorged with their flesh."

Personally, I think it's the most comforting passage in all of scripture.

Looks like I got it mixed up - It's the "supper of God" not the "Supper of the Lord." Point is, when we hear "The ___ of God" we normally think of joy and celebration, not wrath. You thought of the Wedding Feast of the Lamb, which is where I might have gone too if the above passage had not stood out to me.
UTExan
Joel 2:

1 Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of the LORD cometh, for it is nigh at hand;

2 A day of darkness and of gloominess, a day of clouds and of thick darkness, as the morning spread upon the mountains: a great people and a strong; there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any more after it, even to the years of many generations.

3 A fire devoureth before them; and behind them a flame burneth: the land is as the garden of Eden before them, and behind them a desolate wilderness; yea, and nothing shall escape them.

4 The appearance of them is as the appearance of horses; and as horsemen, so shall they run.

5 Like the noise of chariots on the tops of mountains shall they leap, like the noise of a flame of fire that devoureth the stubble, as a strong people set in battle array.

6 Before their face the people shall be much pained: all faces shall gather blackness.

7 They shall run like mighty men; they shall climb the wall like men of war; and they shall march every one on his ways, and they shall not break their ranks:

8 Neither shall one thrust another; they shall walk every one in his path: and when they fall upon the sword, they shall not be wounded.

9 They shall run to and fro in the city; they shall run upon the wall, they shall climb up upon the houses; they shall enter in at the windows like a thief.

10 The earth shall quake before them; the heavens shall tremble: the sun and the moon shall be dark, and the stars shall withdraw their shining:

///

Joel is describing non or partially human creatures here: I personally believe these are Nephilim which have been set loose on the earth during the last times as a chastisement on rebellious mankind.

Note Revelation 9:
20 And the rest of humanity who were not killed by these plagues even then did not repent of [the worship of] the works of their [own] hands, so as to cease paying homage to the demons and idols of gold and silver and bronze and stone and wood, which can neither see nor hear nor move.
21 And they did not repent of their murders or their practice of magic (sorceries) or their sexual vice or their thefts.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
dermdoc
AG
1st Generation Ag said:

The Day of the Lord is a good day, but not a nice one. There will be no niceties on that day.

The Supper of the Lord refers to Revelation 19:17-21:

"Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and with a loud voice he called to all the birds that fly directly overhead, 'Come, gather for the great supper of God, to eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of mighty men, the flesh of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all men, both free and slave, both small and great.' And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth with their armies gathered to make war against him who was sitting on the horse and against his army. And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur. And the rest were slain by the sword that came forth from the mouth of him who was sitting on the horse, and all the birds were gorged with their flesh."

Personally, I think it's the most comforting passage in all of scripture.

Looks like I got it mixed up - It's the "supper of God" not the "Supper of the Lord." Point is, when we hear "The ___ of God" we normally think of joy and celebration, not wrath. You thought of the Wedding Feast of the Lamb, which is where I might have gone too if the above passage had not stood out to me.
Thanks for teaching me something.
dermdoc
AG
It is truly eye opening to see that the evil will not repent even when faced with the wrath and truth of the Lord.

codker92
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Just thought I'd share a great podcast recommendation about The Day of The Lord. Our bible study is going through Acts and we came to part in where Peter brings up old prophecies and it ends with talking about The Day of The Lord. Our group mostly just glazed over those words without understanding what they meant for the jewish congregations. I was like, we gotta stop and talk about this for a second and how Jesus is the beautiful twist on it.

I highly recommend this series. Its lengthy, 7 parts that are about an hour long each. But if you listen to the whole thing, you'll 'get it' and understand just how incredible the twists of Jesus as a savior are and what Jesus sees when even good people pick up the sword. The episode about Solomon is incredible by the way. I've always thought Solomon was a 'good wise king' who just liked having lots of wives. That his story was about the downfall of lust. But thats not the story at all. Solomon, even with given wisdom, immediately starts running a kingdom just like any other king. Slaves, subjugation, war, peace treaties with bad actors, building up gold for himself, a palace more opulent than the temple. That wisdom on this earth and following Gods words are two mutually exclusive things.

Just an awesome series.

Solomon is in paradise with God but Caesar is not.
one MEEN Ag
AG
codker92 said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Just an awesome series.

While I don't like opining about anyone's eternal destination, I don't mean to imply that Solomon is a figure out of God's favor - clearly God chooses Solomon and blesses him.

The biblical authors make it loud and clear though, Solomon ran a kingdom just like any other king for any other nation. They concede he is wise, but he uses his wisdom on gaining earthly successes. Being wise of this world doesn't make it any easier to desire and do the things God tells us to. The jewish king was supposed to be a glorified torah scholar. Someone who was devout in the readings, seeking more knowledge of the Torah and growing closer to God through readings, prayers, and serving the people according to the law.

When Jesus talks about giving us new hearts and not being a teacher who just brings wiser words - Solomon is a microcosm of humanity at its wisest.
Zobel
AG
Counter interpretation: the Day of the Lord already happened. Yahweh visited His people and the anastasis / rising is the Day. We're in the period between the Day and the final judgment, which is why the apostles refer to these as the last days, this age, the final age, the latter days, etc.
Win At Life
AG
The Day of YHWH has many meanings, but you'll misunderstand many things, if you don't view this through the biblical "World-Week" that was a common belief within Judaism. Creation occurred in 7 days and a day to YHWH is as a 1000 years. Counting these 7000 years from creation, they've identified a meaning for each day. The first two days (2000 years) are two days for man. The second two days (2000 years) are two days for Israel. The next two days are 2000 years for Mashiak. The last day, or last 1000 years is the Day of YHWH (The LORD).

Day 1 (0-1000): 1st day of man
Day 2 (1000-2000): 2nd Day of man (started by the birth of Noah).
Day 3 (2000-3000): 1st day of Israel (Started by the birth of Abraham at 1948 years after Adam)(interesting #)
Day 4 (3000-4000): 2nd day of Israel (started by King David)
Day 5 (4000-5000): 1st day of Mashiak
Day 6 (5000-6000): 2nd day of Mashiak
Day 7 (6000-7000): Day of YHWH

Yeshua came right on this schedule as the Mashiak. Today, Jews don't break it out this way, because it points too strongly to Yeshua, whom they deny. Now they just call it 6 days and the 7th day as the Day of HaShem. You can see the Day of YHWH coincides with the Sabbath day of creation. That is the Millennial Kingdom day of rest for the earth.

It's these last two days (5 & 6), before the Day of YHWH, that the writer of Hebrews was referring to as "these last days". He knew they had just begun these last two days of Mashiak before the day of YHWH. Right or wrong, Jews count this year as the year 5782 from creation, so they are fast approaching the Day of YHWH as they are counting it.
dermdoc
AG
Interesting. Thanks.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Yep. Also 1948 years from Israel's 2nd birth from the 2nd adam(Jesus)

This guy explains it very well.

codker92
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

codker92 said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Just an awesome series.

While I don't like opining about anyone's eternal destination, I don't mean to imply that Solomon is a figure out of God's favor - clearly God chooses Solomon and blesses him.

The biblical authors make it loud and clear though, Solomon ran a kingdom just like any other king for any other nation. They concede he is wise, but he uses his wisdom on gaining earthly successes. Being wise of this world doesn't make it any easier to desire and do the things God tells us to. The jewish king was supposed to be a glorified torah scholar. Someone who was devout in the readings, seeking more knowledge of the Torah and growing closer to God through readings, prayers, and serving the people according to the law.

When Jesus talks about giving us new hearts and not being a teacher who just brings wiser words - Solomon is a microcosm of humanity at its wisest.
Your entire conception of morality is flawed. Solomon had Wisdom (God) and thus is righteous before God.
one MEEN Ag
AG
codker92 said:

one MEEN Ag said:

codker92 said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Just an awesome series.

Your entire conception of morality is flawed. Solomon had Wisdom (God) and thus is righteous before God.
Good morning to you too! I think we agree, but I can disagree if you'd like.

Solomon is seen as righteous before God, but that doesn't absolve him of critiques about how he ran his kingdom. Thats the whole point of Solomon's story, that he was the wisest king, but he still sinned repeatedly when trying to run a kingdom like everyone else does. Subjugating peoples, building war machines, creating alliances with bad actors, taking political wives. This isn't the story of a perfect ruler, it points to the future perfect ruler.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.