Kids in church

3,539 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by RebelE Infantry
SoulSlaveAG2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can only speak to the faith that we profess as Catholics, but Christ is truly present at every Mass, in Body,Blood,Soul,Divinty as presented in the Eucharist. So yes, Jesus is there for the kids.
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
Iowaggie
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

I can only speak to the faith that we profess as Catholics, but Christ is truly present at every Mass, in Body,Blood,Soul,Divinty as presented in the Eucharist. So yes, Jesus is there for the kids.

Is Christ not present in other parts of the church where teacher volunteers work with children? Or is Jesus not there?

PacifistAg
AG
Iowaggie said:

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Is Christ not present in other parts of the church where teacher volunteers work with children? Or is Jesus not there?
Personally, I believe it's important for family to worship together. Our faith isn't an individualistic faith, and I think it benefits children to learn, worship, and grow with their parent(s) as a family.

Again, in terms of church history, age-segregation is fairly recent.
Iowaggie
AG
PacifistAg said:

Iowaggie said:

cavscout96 said:

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Take them with you, and anyone who complains, ignore them. Let the kids come to Jesus
This^^^

I think this is too big of a sweeping statement. I do think if Jesus comes to visit anyone's town, you should take your kids with you to see Him. But that usually isn't the case, nor the culture we live in. I also think we should bring our children to meet the preacher, but that's not the same as sitting in church for a sermon.

If one's child is distracting the parent, or the people behind them, and there are other options, you should consider the "weaker brethren" (Romans 14) who might be distracted when your child turns around and stares at them during the service or is crying for 15 minutes.

I also want to ask people why taking your child to an adult service is coming to Jesus, but taking them to a kids service or class is not bringing them to Jesus?
Okay, I believe this is the first time I've ever heard Romans 14 used to justify not bringing children to adult services. I think it's a completely wrong application of those verses.

Age-segregated services seem to be a fairly recent phenomenon within church history (post-Reformation at least).

So are Bibles on phones, coffee in classes, and air conditioning.

I just don't think the "I don't care how big of a distraction my kids are to everyone around me, including myself, I'm going to keep them by me" is Biblical either. We should be considerate to those who have a problem with it.

PacifistAg
AG
Iowaggie said:

PacifistAg said:

Iowaggie said:

cavscout96 said:

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Take them with you, and anyone who complains, ignore them. Let the kids come to Jesus
This^^^

I think this is too big of a sweeping statement. I do think if Jesus comes to visit anyone's town, you should take your kids with you to see Him. But that usually isn't the case, nor the culture we live in. I also think we should bring our children to meet the preacher, but that's not the same as sitting in church for a sermon.

If one's child is distracting the parent, or the people behind them, and there are other options, you should consider the "weaker brethren" (Romans 14) who might be distracted when your child turns around and stares at them during the service or is crying for 15 minutes.

I also want to ask people why taking your child to an adult service is coming to Jesus, but taking them to a kids service or class is not bringing them to Jesus?
Okay, I believe this is the first time I've ever heard Romans 14 used to justify not bringing children to adult services. I think it's a completely wrong application of those verses.

Age-segregated services seem to be a fairly recent phenomenon within church history (post-Reformation at least).

I just don't think the "I don't care how big of a distraction my kids are to everyone around me, including myself, I'm going to keep them by me" is Biblical either. We should be considerate to those who have a problem with it.
Comparing age-segregated church to apps on a phone is a bit silly, don't you think? I don't think anyone is saying "I don't care how big of a distraction my kids are", so you're arguing against a strawman. I'm pretty sure most on here have talked about how to handle those times when kids are becoming a "distraction".

Nobody is arguing that people shouldn't be considerate. Again, that's a strawman. They are just arguing about the merits of a more communal worship, and why that may be preferable to this recent age-segregation trend.
Iowaggie
AG
PacifistAg said:

Iowaggie said:

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Personally, I believe it's important for family to worship together. Our faith isn't an individualistic faith, and I think it benefits children to learn, worship, and grow with their parent(s) as a family.

Again, in terms of church history, age-segregation is fairly recent.

To preface all this, I am only referring to churches and services that have options for youth.

Do you think an 16 month old crying in service is worshiping? Is his mom who's trying to comfort the child worshiping?

Should the mere presence of an individual in a service shouldn't equate to worshiping? Nor should the fact that we gather 3rd and 4th graders in a separate room be considered "lesser" worship for them.

To be clear, I am in 100% agreement with your statement that it's important for family to worship together. I believe it shouldn't just happen on Sunday morning, nor should it only be restricted to a church sanctuary. (It saddens me that I as a father have failed to do this throughout the week in my own home). I disagree with the notion that the old lady who has taught 2 or 10 year olds for 40 years in a church is less valuable or farther from Jesus than the pastor who delivers the message.

Iowaggie
AG
PacifistAg said:

Iowaggie said:

PacifistAg said:

Iowaggie said:

cavscout96 said:

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

This^^^

Comparing age-segregated church to apps on a phone is a bit silly, don't you think? I don't think anyone is saying "I don't care how big of a distraction my kids are", so you're arguing against a strawman. I'm pretty sure most on here have talked about how to handle those times when kids are becoming a "distraction".

Nobody is arguing that people shouldn't be considerate. Again, that's a strawman. They are just arguing about the merits of a more communal worship, and why that may be preferable to this recent age-segregation trend.

Christ's calling to bring the children to him was two fold.
It wasn't just about allowing children access, it was also about providing a model for all of us to care and train for children, even those who weren't our own.

It shocks me 0% that the majority of today's churches struggle to find volunteers to work with youth today.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Iowaggie said:

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Sure he is. He is God. He is spiritually present everywhere. However, only at the Holy Mass is He present physically in the Eucharist. I really don't want to derail this thread into a debate on the Eucharist. That's been done ad nauseam on this forum.

I was merely stating that it is our belief that Jesus is physically at the Mass and meets your criteria of when to bring kids there.

The Eucharist is the source and summit of our faith all things spring forth from Christ and end in Christ, who is fully present on the Eucharist.

While child services are good and useful to teach the faith, to us, we have a unique opportunity to bask in the physical presence of Christ. Why would we not take our kids there.
Iowaggie
AG
PacifistAg said:

Iowaggie said:

PacifistAg said:

Iowaggie said:

cavscout96 said:

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

This^^^

I guess I may need a lesson on what modifications to the church are allowed, and which ones aren't.

If I bring up classes on money management, divorce recovery, or for college students, is that another strawman argument?

My original point was if the child was a distraction to others, in love we should be considerate of others. It wasn't about the mere presence of children in a service.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Iowaggie said:

PacifistAg said:

Iowaggie said:

PacifistAg said:

Iowaggie said:

cavscout96 said:

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

This^^^

I guess I may need a lesson on what modifications to the church are allowed, and which ones aren't.

If I bring up classes on money management, divorce recovery, or for college students, is that another strawman argument?

My original point was if the child was a distraction to others, in love we should be considerate of others. It wasn't about the mere presence of children in a service

My counter question to the bold: if a child is a distraction to you (not specifically you but any one that may be distracted)

Wouldn't it be better served to work on your own focus and assist the parent who may be struggling and in shame already due to a misbehaving child. Perhaps empathize with them and give that distraction to Christ to help on your own journey. Rather than complain, or make the parent feel worse or segregate a child from their parent for your own gain?
AGC
AG
Iowaggie said:

PacifistAg said:

Iowaggie said:

PacifistAg said:

Iowaggie said:

cavscout96 said:

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

This^^^

My original point was if the child was a distraction to others, in love we should be considerate of others. It wasn't about the mere presence of children in a service.

I think you've got some stuff backwards. Between a child and adult, which do you think is better equipped to handle distraction? What makes the adult the weaker brother?
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

Again, nobody here has argued that we shouldn't be considerate of others.
Iowaggie
AG
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Again, nobody here has argued that we shouldn't be considerate of others.

This follows after this

Quote:

My counter question to the bold: if a child is a distraction to you (not specifically you but any one that may be distracted)

Wouldn't it be better served to work on your own focus and assist the parent who may be struggling and in shame already due to a misbehaving child. Perhaps empathize with them and give that distraction to Christ to help on your own journey. Rather than complain, or make the parent feel worse or segregate a child from their parent for your own gain?

OK, we admit that if a 3 year old is distracting everyone behind them. Perhaps everyone behind that child should "work on [their] own focus and assist the parent who may be struggling and in shame already due to a misbehaving child. Perhaps empathize with them and give that distraction to Christ to help on your own journey. Rather than complain, or make the parent feel worse or segregate a child from their parent for your own gain?"

I guess we have different definitions of "considerate of others".

Zobel
AG
The idea that worship is something you do by focusing your mind and attention is almost shockingly gnostic.

Of course a child crying can be part of worship, and the mother comforting them as well. The entire point of the worship is a sacrificial meal with our God, the breaking of the bread. YHWH is the God who feeds His people and always has been, going back to the manna and the show bread, culminating in the Eucharist. Asking a small child to leave would be like asking if it's ok for there to be a separate Thanksgiving meal somewhere else for the kids. Or no meal at all. In this case since Eucharist and thanksgiving are the same word it's actually kinda the same. Kids belong in church with their families because they belong in worship.
swimmerbabe11
swimmerbabe11 said:

yall aren't watching this enough.
PacifistAg
AG
You're assuming the parent is doing nothing to soothe their child. That poster suggested assisting the parent. You know, like an act of service. You make it seem as if the parent in that example is being inconsiderate by doing nothing to help their child. As a parent, I can assure you the parent is wanting nothing more than to calm their child.

This reminds me of people who hyperventilate when a mother breastfeeds during the service.
PacifistAg
AG
Zobel said:

The idea that worship is something you do by focusing your mind and attention is almost shockingly gnostic.

Of course a child crying can be part of worship, and the mother comforting them as well. The entire point of the worship is a sacrificial meal with our God, the breaking of the bread. YHWH is the God who feeds His people and always has been, going back to the manna and the show bread, culminating in the Eucharist. Asking a small child to leave would be like asking if it's ok for there to be a separate Thanksgiving meal somewhere else for the kids. Or no meal at all. In this case since Eucharist and thanksgiving are the same word it's actually kinda the same. Kids belong in church with their families because they belong in worship.
Iowaggie
AG
Zobel said:

Almost said the exact same thing to my wife. Whenever I'm setting my fantasy football lineups in church and having to ask people around me who I should start, I get this glare from my wife and I say, "The idea that worship is something you do by focusing your mind and attention is almost shocking gnostic! To give God my mind and attention is almost like asking me to give money to the poor. We just have to be here, OK? In a minute I'm going to be playing hangman with our 9 year old, and so why bother on focus now?"

And when my child was 2 and climbing on the seats and loudly closing the hymnal 30-40 times a minute, my wife would ask me to take her out, and I'd say, "Would you ask us to eat a separate Thanksgiving meal or no meal at all?"

She'd say, "They are a distraction to everyone behind us."

And I said, "Wouldn't all of them be better served to work on their own focus and assist us, the parents who are struggling and in shame already due to a misbehaving child. This is an opportunity for all of them to empathize with us, and they need to give that distraction to Christ to help on their own journey. Rather than them complaining or making us feel worse or making us segregate this child from us for their own gain?
After all, isn't coming to church all about me?"
Zobel
AG
Excellent demonstration of sarcasm, poor faith discussion, and straw man. Thank you for making a point to teach us what these things look like.
Serotonin
AG
Better for you to be setting your fantasy lineup in church than at home while missing church!
Iowaggie
AG
PacifistAg said:

You're assuming the parent is doing nothing to soothe their child. That poster suggested assisting the parent. You know, like an act of service. You make it seem as if the parent in that example is being inconsiderate by doing nothing to help their child. As a parent, I can assure you the parent is wanting nothing more than to calm their child.

This reminds me of people who hyperventilate when a mother breastfeeds during the service.

Nice strawman. Would you also like to also assume that I'm standing up and pointing her out to others?

Why would I care about a mother breastfeeding? How is that a distraction?

Iowaggie
AG
PacifistAg said:

Zobel said:

Is it too much to offer God our mind and attention as part of worship?

Zobel
AG
Can you explain what you mean by worship? Because I'm almost certain that's where the disjunction is here.
Iowaggie
AG
Good point. To be clear, I understand that worship could be anywhere, and I know, we can worship by interacting with others at a football game or doing my job, so we really are talking about corporate worship.

I could probably try to google search a churchy definition of corporate worship but I would say an intense time of prayer, singing, praise, and learning more about and focusing on Jesus Christ with others. Christ is the focus at that time, and I really love having family in there with me.

I also know that of the 168 hours in a week, this one hour may be the only hour that the person behind me may also have to "worship", and I did not want my interactions with a child to be a distraction to those behind me, nor did I want to spend that 75% of that time entertaining that very young child, and this apparently is "gnostic", because for this brief time, part of my worship is giving my mind, attention and focus to Christ. So no, I do not set my FF lineup at that time, but would it be much different than if I'm entertaining my child at that time?

And now, I do sit near a family that has a HS kid with Asperger's syndrome, and it distracts me very little. My focus in all this has not been on me being distracted, but I do not want me or my young kids being a distraction for others.
PacifistAg
AG
Iowaggie said:

PacifistAg said:

Nice strawman. Would you also like to also assume that I'm standing up and pointing her out to others?

Why would I care about a mother breastfeeding? How is that a distraction?

Not a strawman at all. I'm not setting up a fake argument that nobody is making. I said this reminds me of another issue where people get upset by claiming something is a distraction.

But your last part actually goes to support my point. I know some are distracted by mothers breastfeeding in church. Just as you seem to be distracted by children. Should the mother only breastfeed elsewhere since it could be a distraction to those around her?
Zobel
AG
So "intense time of prayer, singing, praise, and learning more about and focusing on Jesus Christ" is not worship, in my opinion. I know people call it that now, colloquially, but that is a very modern idea. The description is closer to veneration.

The reason I said it was gnostic is because what you've described is particularly intellectual, it's about the mind. This is *very* much a feature of gnosticism.

That description of worship is nowhere in the OT, nowhere in the practice of Israel, nowhere in the NT, and is basically nowhere (other than gnosticism) in the history of Christianity until fairly recently.

Corporate worship is when the people of God assemble, uniquely to participate in a ritual meal with their God. Singing, praying, bowing down is all part of this, to be sure. And distractions aren't part of it and aren't welcome - this is why it's silly to draw an equivalence between a child being a child and crying, or a mother tending to her child's needs, and an adult actively not participating by doing something else in spite of being physically present. Children participate as children, mother as mothers, you as you, me as me.

Being together is literally what Church means. The word is ecclessia, assembly, those called out (to assemble). Your children are a part of the assembly if they are baptized - and they should be. So "when you come together as a church" as St Paul says - you should actually come together. It is no accident that this coming together as a church is related to the Eucharist, and why Christian gatherings everywhere and always until the Reformation were associated with the Eucharist, and why that worship was a meal.

Christ is the focus at that time. And we are the Body of Christ, together we are His hands and feet, we make Christ present in the world. If a child is struggling, love them. Pick them up. These people are your family, would you ask your daughter to leave the family gathering if she's crying? Expect them to go outside if they're "distracting" you? Those children are His children (cf Ezekiel 16:20-21) and He says to bring them to Him (Matthew 19:14).
1st Generation Ag
I step away for 10 minutes and this devolves into a Baptist-vs-Catholic slapfest. Can we please keep to the practical discussion?
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I hate the idea of children's church. I have no kids. I love seeing families with their little ones in church and love seeing them learn. (although sometimes it does make me green with envy) children learn by seeing their parents and adults and they start at birth. bring your kids!! if you need someone to help with them, come to my church in Houston, I'd love to be babysitter in the pews.
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is how you evangelize!
Zobel
AG
Who're you calling catholic?
cavscout96
AG
Iowaggie said:

PacifistAg said:

Iowaggie said:

cavscout96 said:

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

This^^^

those that "have a problem with it" should be considerate of families....
craigernaught
AG
Quote:

We should be considerate to those who have a problem with it.

No.
1st Generation Ag
Zobel said:

I believe the full, proper name is "Orthodox Catholic Church." Close enough for government (or Protestant) work.
RebelE Infantry
AG
Zobel said:

R E P E N T A N D S V B M I T
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.