After 20 years of being an atheist, I came back to the lord

10,636 Views | 272 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Zobel said:

Where you going to live where that wasn't the case?

Pretending it wasn't the case doesn't help anything.
neither does dodging the question
Joe Boudain
Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

RebelE Infantry said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

Sapper Redux said:

Orthodox Texan said:

Quad Dog said:

Quote:

I don't associate with liberals in real life beyond those I am forced to interact with at work.
I think it's an extremely important thing to talk to and even more importantly listen to those that you disagree with. I'd encourage you to grow and do so. Maybe you'd learn that liberals in real life are not Marxists, Satanists, or whatever other Boogeymen you've made them out to be in your mind.
Satanists are typically liberal because that political platform is associated with the ultimate freedom of the individual which has many Satanic elements. It's not some dark twisted pentagram thing. It's simply trying to make the world into an image of the self and not God.
So wouldn't Satan be a right wing libertarian? Liberal policies are designed to promote the well-being of all (I'm not arguing whether they work or not, just that's the goal) and limit the promotion of the self at the expense of others.
This is the catch though. "Conservative" has been redefined. I remember growing up, they pretended to care about "limited government" and "individual freedom". Those were the alleged hallmarks of conservatism. Now, though, that's all been exposed to be a fraud, so they redefine it to having nothing to do with "individual freedom", but about conserving a "moral" society (ignoring the fact that we've never had a moral society to conserve). So now they brand libertarians as liberals (although they would actually be closest to classical liberals) because they promote the very things that conservatives used to claim to support.
conservatism has never been about limited government or individual freedom, rather those are benefits of a conservative society.

Name one conservative society where that's true.
Hungary, Singapore, Western civilization before it went crazy.

So Hungary, which is not a representative government and does not have freedom for all. Singapore. Another government that is not free and severely limits rights. And "western civilization." I'm guessing it went "crazy" after it gave up empires and slavery?

Started going crazy in the early 20th century, went overboard during the sexual revolution, we have now entered the Weimar Republic phase.

So it was a conservative model during the centuries of slavery and imperialism?

Yes. Slavery in itself is not conservative, but the times in which it were prevalent were more conservative times.

So a society who built its wealth on the lives and liberties of others is your model. Good to know.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you claiming western civilization is the product of free manual labor?

Yes.

Flat earth level trutherism. Kudos

Serfs, slaves, and colonized people forced to work and fight. Did you really think it came from rich people thinking things? That's cute.

Oh okay, you're talking about how every civilization came to be. Not just western civilization. Yes I agree.

I'm not even sure I entirely agree. I think through our post-"enlightenment" lens we assume that those people placed the higher value on "freedom" rather than such things as order and security. So forced may not even be the right word to use.

Forced is the right word. Ever read up on the Belgian Congo?

Ever read up on the Aztecs? Or Murghal Empire? Or Golden Horde, or ancient Egypt, or Mansa Musa, or another billion examples that were worse?

Cool. So western civilization is on par with the Aztecs?

No. Notice how I said "worse" and not "the same"
Joe Boudain
Zobel said:

Sapper Redux said:

Zobel said:

This seems to be his entire debate strategy.

"There are a lot of other civilizations that were worse, with few of the redeeming characteristics that western civilization had"

SAPPER- "WOW, so your claim that western civilization isn't so bad is that they're the exact same as the aztecs. AMAZING, smh"

Joe Boudain
Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

dermdoc said:

Slavery and what happened in the Belgian Congo were horrible. How long ago was that? When can we move on? What do we have to do?

These are the questions that Sapper won't answer. It is frustrating because it is easy to pick apart the atrocities of the past. The hard work is moving on, though most of American did a long while back. Others would have us fight a continual race war because it profits them to do so.

So again, Sapper...how would you structure "moving on"? What does it look like to you?

Does "moving on" to you mean ignoring what happened and pretending it has no current consequences?

Yes. When can we do this?
Sapper Redux
dermdoc said:

Sapper Redux said:

dermdoc said:

If the US is/was so terrible and oppressive, why are/were millions of people willing to risk their lives and fortunes to come here?

You're jumping to weird conclusions.
1. I haven't said there are no good things here.
2. Acknowledging the reality of the past is a good thing that helps address problems. If you aren't okay with that, ask yourself why.
3. People in bad spots look for new spots. Other places being worse doesn't change what happened here. We also have a history in the 20th century of actively making other places worse and creating the conditions that lead people to leave.
With all due respect, when have you ever talked about anything good about the US? You and I have sparred for years and I honestly can never remember you ever praising the US.

I have depending on the topic. Consider the environment. I'm not going to claim the US was wrong in WWII or that the US was the wrong side in the Civil War or Revolution. But the history of all those things is far more complicated than black-and-white. If you're looking for a straight up "good guy - bad guy" in history, I'm not the person to give it to you. The complexity is important.
Sapper Redux
Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

dermdoc said:

Slavery and what happened in the Belgian Congo were horrible. How long ago was that? When can we move on? What do we have to do?

These are the questions that Sapper won't answer. It is frustrating because it is easy to pick apart the atrocities of the past. The hard work is moving on, though most of American did a long while back. Others would have us fight a continual race war because it profits them to do so.

So again, Sapper...how would you structure "moving on"? What does it look like to you?

Does "moving on" to you mean ignoring what happened and pretending it has no current consequences?

Tried that. Didn't work. Can't do it.
Sapper Redux
Joe Boudain said:

Zobel said:

Sapper Redux said:

Zobel said:

"There are a lot of other civilizations that were worse, with few of the redeeming characteristics that western civilization had"

SAPPER- "WOW, so you're claim that western civilization isn't so bad is that they're the exact same as the aztecs. AMAZING, smh"

You only want to focus on what you consider good and brush off how the society was built by saying it was the same as other societies. That's not an actual argument, that's a logical fallacy.
Joe Boudain
Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Zobel said:

Sapper Redux said:

Zobel said:

SAPPER- "WOW, so you're claim that western civilization isn't so bad is that they're the exact same as the aztecs. AMAZING, smh"

You only want to focus on what you consider good and brush off how the society was built by saying it was the same as other societies. That's not an actual argument, that's a logical fallacy.

Not the same. You keep saying that, which is why I keep hammering you for your inconsistencies. Better. We are better than other societies because our bads aren't as bad, and our goods are multiple times better.
Joe Boudain
Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

dermdoc said:

No we didn't, it can, we can do it now.
dermdoc
AG
Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

dermdoc said:

I firmly believe that whatever we do it will not be enough.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Joe Boudain
dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

dermdoc said:

I firmly believe that whatever we do it will not be enough.

I agree and disagree with you. I think we've already done more than enough, but that there will be those who will never be satisfied. Both of those point me towards advocating to let bygones be bygones.
AggieRain
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

dermdoc said:

Again with the dodge. Good grief, please answer the question. What would YOU do? What do YOU suggest??

Put the framework of your package in simple bullet points. I need to know what you want in order to determine if we can even get there at all.

So far, it is just lectures, and lectures don't solve real world problems.
Sapper Redux
AggieRain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

dermdoc said:

Again with the dodge. Good grief, please answer the question. What would YOU do? What do YOU suggest??

Put the framework of your package in simple bullet points. I need to know what you want in order to determine if we can even get there at all.

I've answered this in the past at length and got zero constructive engagement. So, no. It's not worth my time.
Dilettante
I haven't seen it, and I'd like to.
AggieRain
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

dermdoc said:

I've answered this in the past at length and got zero constructive engagement. So, no. It's not worth my time.

Fine. I accept your surrender. Please stop posting on the topic. You have zero credibility.
AggieRain
AG
Dilettante said:

I haven't seen it, and I'd like to.

Me either. And I would love an engaging conversation about it. Sadly, it doesn't look like it is going to happen though.
Sapper Redux
AggieRain said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

dermdoc said:

Fine. I accept your surrender. Please stop posting on the topic. You have zero credibility.

Nah.
Sapper Redux
AggieRain said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

dermdoc said:

These always turn into some accusation against me, as though I'm required to have every answer for pointing out a problem. As though the act of admitting a problem, or that the history you want to believe isn't the whole story, is a personal affront to you and the world. I'm not here to dance at your beck and call. You can argue the issue, or you can start a new thread on what to do in the developing world. One o won't engage in because I'm not interested in engaging on that topic anymore on this website.
AggieRain
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

dermdoc said:

These always turn into some accusation against me, as though I'm required to have every answer for pointing out a problem. As though the act of admitting a problem, or that the history you want to believe isn't the whole story, is a personal affront to you and the world. I'm not here to dance at your beck and call. You can argue the issue, or you can start a new thread on what to do in the developing world. One o won't engage in because I'm not interested in engaging on that topic anymore on this website.

Got it. You're cool with being the AL Sharpton of TexAgs. All bluster and no substance. I sought an honest engagement with you and you deflected at every turn. I wasn't inviting an F16 dog pile. I was generally curious about how you would attack the problem you perceive.

As for me, I think Joe's live and let live approach is the only serious solution at this point. If you have a counter proposal, I extend another invitation for you to make it.
dermdoc
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

dermdoc said:

Well when you throw hand grenades and refuse to answer questions, that will happen.

If I remember correctly this is your standard MO.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sapper Redux
dermdoc said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

dermdoc said:

Well when you throw hand grenades and refuse to answer questions, that will happen.

If I remember correctly this is your standard MO.

Sigh. It's not. I spent years engaging. Couldn't engage with everyone, so yeah, it turned into this crap. Think what you want. Shouldn't have bothered. I'm out.
Woodward2206
Is OP Vander?
BAP Enthusiast
Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

Sapper Redux said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

Sapper Redux said:

Orthodox Texan said:

Quad Dog said:

Quote:

I don't associate with liberals in real life beyond those I am forced to interact with at work.
I think it's an extremely important thing to talk to and even more importantly listen to those that you disagree with. I'd encourage you to grow and do so. Maybe you'd learn that liberals in real life are not Marxists, Satanists, or whatever other Boogeymen you've made them out to be in your mind.
Satanists are typically liberal because that political platform is associated with the ultimate freedom of the individual which has many Satanic elements. It's not some dark twisted pentagram thing. It's simply trying to make the world into an image of the self and not God.
So wouldn't Satan be a right wing libertarian? Liberal policies are designed to promote the well-being of all (I'm not arguing whether they work or not, just that's the goal) and limit the promotion of the self at the expense of others.
This is the catch though. "Conservative" has been redefined. I remember growing up, they pretended to care about "limited government" and "individual freedom". Those were the alleged hallmarks of conservatism. Now, though, that's all been exposed to be a fraud, so they redefine it to having nothing to do with "individual freedom", but about conserving a "moral" society (ignoring the fact that we've never had a moral society to conserve). So now they brand libertarians as liberals (although they would actually be closest to classical liberals) because they promote the very things that conservatives used to claim to support.
conservatism has never been about limited government or individual freedom, rather those are benefits of a conservative society.

Name one conservative society where that's true.
Hungary, Singapore, Western civilization before it went crazy.

So Hungary, which is not a representative government and does not have freedom for all. Singapore. Another government that is not free and severely limits rights. And "western civilization." I'm guessing it went "crazy" after it gave up empires and slavery?

Started going crazy in the early 20th century, went overboard during the sexual revolution, we have now entered the Weimar Republic phase.

So it was a conservative model during the centuries of slavery and imperialism?

Yes. Slavery in itself is not conservative, but the times in which it were prevalent were more conservative times.

So a society who built its wealth on the lives and liberties of others is your model. Good to know.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you claiming western civilization is the product of free manual labor?

Yes.

Flat earth level trutherism. Kudos

Serfs, slaves, and colonized people forced to work and fight. Did you really think it came from rich people thinking things? That's cute.

Oh okay, you're talking about how every civilization came to be. Not just western civilization. Yes I agree.

I love how western civilization is "exceptional" until it isn't.

Well it's not like the Asian civilizations are any better, they did the same thing. Exploiting those weaker than you has been the norm for all of human civilization. No one has the moral high ground on this issue because all countries and peoples have engaged in this practice both on individual and civilization wide scales.
Cassius
Great to hear!
Dilettante
If you're going to give up, you might as well not waste your time at all. What's the point of making a claim on a discussion forum if you're not willing to defend it or elaborate? I don't see what anyone is getting out of it.
Sapper Redux
Dilettante said:

If you're going to give up, you might as well not waste your time at all. What's the point of making a claim on a discussion forum if you're not willing to defend it or elaborate? I don't see what anyone is getting out of it.

The discussion was not about reparations or how to improve the developing world. Not even close. Yet any discussion of the consequences of western imperialism results in hair-pulling and a demand to know "Well what should we do? It's not MY fault." Like ****ing clockwork. And I've engaged with those complaints for years. And I'm done with it. It's not a good-faith argument in the context of this discussion.
Malibu
My big contribution to the thread: I don't view body builders as the Platonic ideal men, but instead curios. The idea that I'm supposed to impressed by big muscly men rather than amused is weird to me.

And I don't mean guys who have toned arms and generally take pride in working out, I'm talking about the true gym rats that are weirdly jacked. You do you, but I'll stick to running and rock climbing.
Rongagin71
AG
My ancestors were perfect, yours suck...
at least that is how this discussion sounds to some.
Duncan Idaho
Rongagin71 said:

My ancestors were perfect, yours suck...
at least that is how this discussion sounds to some.

You left off the
"Ergo I am better than you and God loves me more" part.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.