God doesn't exist

6,392 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aggrad08
Star Wars Memes Only
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Change my mind
PabloSerna
AG
IS .. is not .. change my mind :-)

southernboy1
AG
This is the dumbest, stupidest and most annoying thread I've ever seen. If you don't believe in God why even post. Why would you want someone to convince you of that if you don't believe?
Star Wars Memes Only
southernboy1 said:

This is the dumbest, stupidest and most annoying thread I've ever seen. If you don't believe in God why even post. Why would you want someone to convince you of that if you don't believe?

For the lulz, really.

Thank you.
Quad Dog
AG
The universe is a really really big place and it is really really old too. There's a pretty good chance there's a being out there that would be considered God like compared to us. But it wouldn't be a God described by any Earth religion.
Martin Q. Blank
dargscisyhp said:

Change my mind
The Holocaust wasn't wrong. Change my mind.

1+1 does not equal 2. Change my mind.

The law of identity isn't true. Change my mind.
Quad Dog
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

dargscisyhp said:

Change my mind

1+1 does not equal 2. Change my mind.

The law of identity isn't true. Change my mind.

Not going to touch the first one.

What causes one thing and another thing to be grouped together to be 2? One apple plus one orange equals 2 fruit, but a fruit doesn't adequately describe the single apple or single orange well enough. Does one granny Smith plus one red delicious equal two apples? What if I add one liter of sand and one liter of water, do I get two liters after? Besides, in boolean logic 1 + 1 = 1.

Law of identity isn't really true or false, it's a definition. One that falls apart when you get to things like the Ship of Theseus.
Star Wars Memes Only
Quad Dog said:

The universe is a really really big place and it is really really old too. There's a pretty good chance there's a being out there that would be considered God like compared to us. But it wouldn't be a God described by any Earth religion.

Would this be the creator of the universe, or just a super-powerful alien created within the universe?

We know that the universe is massive, yes, but we don't know what the probability of intelligent life rising is, or continuing to the point where it reaches a stage 3 civilization on the Karadashev scale. It could be virtually infinitesimal, and we could be the only intelligent life to exist ever in the universe.
dermdoc
AG
What started everything?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Star Wars Memes Only
How the hell would I know?
Quad Dog
AG
dargscisyhp said:

Quad Dog said:

Would this be the creator of the universe, or just a super-powerful alien created within the universe?

We know that the universe is massive, yes, but we don't know what the probability of intelligent life rising is, or continuing to the point where it reaches a stage 3 civilization on the Karadashev scale. It could be virtually infinitesimal, and we could be the only intelligent life to exist ever in the universe.

You don't have to have created the universe to be a God. So super being.

Given enough time and space even infinitesimal things can happen. We're proof it's happened at least once.
Star Wars Memes Only
The point is we don't really know how high or low the probability is compared to the totality of events in the observable universe.
dermdoc
AG
Why is every human so individually different?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
What causes us to love our family? Friends?

Look at creation. What caused trees? Mountains?
dermdoc
Star Wars Memes Only
dermdoc said:

Why is every human so individually different?

Recombination, mutation, and different environmental factors at a minimum.
Star Wars Memes Only
dermdoc said:

You don't think these things can have natural explanations?
Quad Dog
AG
dermdoc said:

Love is just Oxytocin, dopamine, and serotonin.

Trees come from seeds
Mountains come from tectonic plates moving around.
dermdoc
AG
Sure. But what caused "natural explanations"?

Why do you love?
Star Wars Memes Only
Although, as mentioned on my other account, love is the one thing that transcends space and time.
Star Wars Memes Only
dermdoc said:

Sure. But what caused "natural explanations"?

Why do you love?

Because at some point in our evolutionary history it was genetically beneficial to do so.
dermdoc
AG
Where did the seeds come from? What causes the plates to move?
dermdoc
AG
What makes a human give their life to save others?
Star Wars Memes Only
dermdoc said:

Where did the seeds come from?

Well, when a boy tree and a girl tree love each other very very much....
dermdoc
AG
Funny. So you cannot explain it, can you?

I can understand rejecting the Christian God, I think it is illogical to not accept some Creator. Something had to start everything.
Star Wars Memes Only
dermdoc said:

What makes a human give their life to save others?

It's conceivable that a self-sacrificial instinct is genetically beneficial if our species evolved in nomadic kin tribes. Civilization, where many of whom we are surrounded by are not kin, is a relatively recent development and that self-sacrificial instinct may still exist from earlier in our evolutionary history.
Star Wars Memes Only
dermdoc said:

Funny. So you cannot explain it, can you?

I can understand rejecting the Christian God, I think it is illogical to not accept some Creator. Something had to start everything.

I don't accept that, and even if I did I've never seen a good argument put forth which demands the first cause be some sort of intelligence.
Quad Dog
AG
What created the creator?

I think you know everything you post on nature is going to have a materialist explanation we learned in middle school Earth science. Is there anything in nature you can think of that doesn't have a materialist explanation?
Edit to add: I think the only wiggle room you'd have is before the Big Bang, but at that point we are willing to say "I don't know" and Christians will claim God.
Aggrad08
AG
Best argument for god is teleological. Ignore YHWH and the gods of men and even ignore the conceit that the universe that's absurdly hostile to life was built with us in mind.

Apparent design abounds. Many biologists who above all have a coherent naturalistic explanation for custom looking design have described their study similar to Dawkins below:

the study of complicated things that give the appearance of having been designed for a purpose. (Dawkins 1987, 1)

Now there is bad design in nature, but this isn't disproof of a designer merely disproof or probable disproof of an omniscient one.

But the "good design" is still there.

Now evolution seemingly gives us an instance of disproof of the design argument. Here we have random chance providing the appearance of design by having a sieve(natural selection) that filters elements not apparently custom fit.

However we don't have such a mechanism or sieve for the greater universe and accompanying natural laws, and while admittedly the greater universe is fiercely hostile to life, we exists at the interface of staggering coincidences.

And if we ignore ourselves as part of the goal the universe is a grand and orderly thing for all its seeming chaos. The laws we see are for whatever reason such that things can bind and coalesce.

Small tweaks to gravity or the strong nuclear force or the rate of universe expansion and you don't get stars. Let alone lots of other cool stuff.

If you don't get stars your universe is a big nothing burger. Scientists of all faiths and backgrounds have admitted that the fine tuning seems to defy probabilistic explanation.

AGC
AG
Effing magnets. How do they work?
diehard03
Quote:

And if we ignore ourselves as part of the goal the universe is a grand and orderly thing for all its seeming chaos. The laws we see are for whatever reason such that things can bind and coalesce.

Small tweaks to gravity or the strong nuclear force or the rate of universe expansion and you don't get stars. Let alone lots of other cool stuff.

If you don't get stars your universe is a big nothing burger. Scientists of all faiths and backgrounds have admitted that the fine tuning seems to defy probabilistic explanation.

I always thought this was explained as there are millions and billions of nothing burgers out here and we are just the ridiculously small chance of existing at all...but that if its measured against essentially infinity, even the smallest chance occurs eventually. (ie, we are selection biased)
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Effing magnets. How do they work?

Angel farts
Aggrad08
AG
That is an explanation for humans in a world with stars. But It doesn't explain the seemingly small chance that a universe with constants to allow for stars should exist unless you go the multiverse rout
Sapper Redux
Aggrad08 said:

That is an explanation for humans in a world with stars. But It doesn't explain the seemingly small chance that a universe with constants to allow for stars should exist unless you go the multiverse rout

The idea of a multiverse seems logical enough. Even if you somehow demonstrate that a multiverse is impossible, the best that gets you is a first cause. It's still a long way from that to what we conventionally consider a deity and even further to a personal deity.
bigcat22
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

This is something I find interesting when considering an atheistic world view. If we are all random bags of meat created from stardust, what is wrong with one meat-bag tribe trying to eliminate what they view to be a weaker, inferior meat-bag tribe?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.