What happened to "My body, my choice"?

3,392 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Star Wars Memes Only
Star Wars Memes Only
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On the one hand you're asked to take a shot to protect millions of lives. On the other hand you're being asked to give up something fundamental to human and most complex animal biology because it puts some degree of excess strain on our collective financial resources. I tend to agree that being coerced to do either is wrong, but I think there is a long way to go if you guys are implying that these things are equivalent.
dermdoc
AG
dargscisyhp said:

On the one hand you're asked to take a shot to protect millions of lives. On the other hand you're being asked to give up something fundamental to human and most complex animal biology because it puts some degree of excess strain on our collective financial resources. I tend to agree that being coerced to do either is wrong, but I think there is a long way to go if you guys are implying that these things are equivalent.

Harm from irresponsible sex is much greater than anything Covid has done imho.

Covid has been around a year and a half. Irresponsible sex has killed millions through abortion, costs billions or maybe trillions as far as treatment, untold mental damage, almost destroyed the African American family unit, and the list goes on.

And that has been going on for centuries.

Covid is real and horrible enough on its own without hyperbole.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Star Wars Memes Only
I'm not going to argue with you about which is more harmful, but the cost to protect society from Covid is a shot, whereas the cost to protect society from promiscuity is giving up something I would consider a fairly basic freedom in any nonpuritanical society. Coercion in both cases is bad, but coercion in the latter has a far greater cost in my opinion.
Sapper Redux
dermdoc said:

dargscisyhp said:

Covid has been around a year and a half. Irresponsible sex has killed millions through abortion, costs billions or maybe trillions as far as treatment, untold mental damage, almost destroyed the African American family unit, and the list goes on.

I feel like there's a LONG list of stuff we need to work through before "irresponsible sex" even makes the bottom page on that one. But this idea that it's lazy, animalistic sex fiends who get abortions is a way to avoid dealing with how complicated the issue is. Most women who get abortions already have children.
UTExan
dargscisyhp said:

I'm not going to argue with you about which is more harmful, but the cost to protect society from Covid is a shot, whereas the cost to protect society from promiscuity is giving up something I would consider a fairly basic freedom in any nonpuritanical society. Coercion in both cases is bad, but coercion in the latter has a far greater cost in my opinion.

Your "freedom" is robbing another of medical care when sexual activity is a choice. IOW, if you can't pay for it, don't do it. BTW, do you think it should be a mandate to force people to get HPV vaccinations? Just curious.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Zobel
AG
Maybe you and doc aren't aligned here but he's talking about abortion. Arguing for abortion as a treatment for promiscuity is a bad look.
dermdoc
AG
Sapper Redux said:

dermdoc said:

dargscisyhp said:

I feel like there's a LONG list of stuff we need to work through before "irresponsible sex" even makes the bottom page on that one. But this idea that it's lazy, animalistic sex fiends who get abortions is a way to avoid dealing with how complicated the issue is. Most women who get abortions already have children.

C'mon man. No need to use hyperbole. Where did anyone say anything about sex crazed animals? Why do conversation have to go to hyperbole like that? We are civil here. No need for accusations like that.

Done with this thread.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Star Wars Memes Only
Zobel said:

Maybe you and doc aren't aligned here but he's talking about abortion. Arguing for abortion as a treatment for promiscuity is a bad look.

I don't think I've made that argument.
Zobel
AG
I didn't think you were, but that's what doc was talking about, and your response made it unclear.
Star Wars Memes Only
UTExan said:

dargscisyhp said:

Your "freedom" is robbing another of medical care when sexual activity is a choice.

How so?

Quote:

BTW, do you think it should be a mandate to force people to get HPV vaccinations? Just curious.

No.
Star Wars Memes Only
Curious, would you guys be okay with promiscuity if the man had a vasectomy, or the woman had a hysterectomy or tubal ligation?
Quad Dog
AG
dermdoc said:

Sapper Redux said:

dermdoc said:

dargscisyhp said:

C'mon man. No need to use hyperbole. Where did anyone say anything about sex crazed animals? Why do conversation have to go to hyperbole like that? We are civil here. No need for accusations like that.

Done with this thread.

So now you are doing what you wrongly accused Psaki of doing in your OP. Congrats on going full circle
dermdoc
AG
Love you my friend.

And if I am guilty of anything it is not doing enough research on what I posted. Sorry.

I never made what I consider a personal attack and highlight another poster's posts and twist it.

We seem to just see things differently which is fine. And I have no problem with anything you have posted fwiw.

I posted something that was not an accurate representation of what happened. My personal belief is that the Twitter was correct about the Biden's spokesperson's feelings on the two subjects. I have no idea what your belief is but I know for some reason my post really ticked you off.

I apologize. You were right. I was wrong. And if you just do not like me, that is fine also.

Do not know what else I can do.
Quad Dog
AG
It's been a long couple weeks. It really sucks when you have respect for someone, think they are a man of integrity, and get proven wrong.
dermdoc
AG
Quad Dog said:

It's been a long couple weeks. It really sucks when you have respect for someone, think they are a man of integrity, and get proven wrong.
Because I posted something that I did not research enough?

I guess I should be flattered but that is an awfully high standard.

I will be better. Promise.
UTExan
dargscisyhp said:

Curious, would you guys be okay with promiscuity if the man had a vasectomy, or the woman had a hysterectomy or tubal ligation?

Since that doesn't preclude contracting or spreading STIs, no.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Quad Dog
AG
More that it took me multiple posts of being a jerk to get you to admit your mistake than the original post.
Joe Boudain
This is why I play the heel to ensure no one respects me.

I'm a real hero
Sapper Redux
dermdoc said:

Sapper Redux said:

dermdoc said:

dargscisyhp said:

Done with this thread.

I was too glib with how I framed it. My bad.
dermdoc
AG
Thanks
Sb1540
Sapper Redux said:

dermdoc said:

dargscisyhp said:

You obviously have no knowledge of the consequences of the sexual revolution and how large that impact was and is today. I mean really no clue. What is sex to you?

Your statement is a perfect example of the secular worldview that dismisses everything that comes before it.
Star Wars Memes Only
UTExan said:

dargscisyhp said:

Since that doesn't preclude contracting or spreading STIs, no.

Do you similarly object to other potentially costly behaviors, such as riding motorcycles, playing sports, etc.?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.