The Pope and other religious leaders on climate change

874 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Joe Boudain
M1Buckeye
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What do you gents think of this?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/worlds-top-3-christian-leaders-call-for-meaningful-sacrifices-to-combat-climate-change-175544270.html
Martin Q. Blank
A meaningful sacrifice that will accomplish nothing other than to make ourselves feel righteous.
jrico2727
AG
I wish I could say it was a good start.

It feels more like a publicity stunt.

I certainly agree we are the stewards of the earth and should care for God's creation.

I think God would prefer they work on the reunion of Christianity instead lesser matters.

Plus Jesus promises to bring Global warming when he comes back.

Side note saw this article earlier and knew OP would be bringing it here.
dermdoc
AG
How about just preach the Gospel?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
M1Buckeye
Again, I can't envision Jesus engaging in this stuff. Apparently, the Pope knows more than Jesus.
jrico2727
AG
M1Buckeye said:

Again, I can't envision Jesus engaging in this stuff. Apparently, the Pope knows more than Jesus.

I don't think Pope Francis has ever made that claim. I do agree this is a worldly concern. He is a world leader and Head of State so it's appropriate for him to be involved at some level.

I do think Jesus the eternal logos, through which all things were made cares for the earth. We very well may face judgement for being poor stewards.

I just not sure they are prioritizing the right things.
Serotonin
AG
Well said.
747Ag
AG
jrico2727 said:

M1Buckeye said:

I don't think Pope Francis has ever made that claim. I do agree this is a worldly concern. He is a world leader and Head of State so it's appropriate for him to be involved at some level.

I do think Jesus the eternal logos, through which all things were made cares for the earth. We very well may face judgement for being poor stewards.

I just not sure they are prioritizing the right things.
I think we live in a time where we have inverted the two greatest commandments. So many prelates are all about immigration and the climate, how often do we hear them preach discipleship? Everyone is all about the corporal works of mercy, but most can't be bothered by the spiritual works of mercy.
chimpanzee
My personal theory is that modern leaders of the church, most especially in Europe, have Stockholm Syndrome. Increasingly, people in the west have no religious faith to speak of, but many have developed a loose system of ethics and morality with environmentalism at its center. Belief in its tenets, chiefly AGW, confers status as a "good person", understanding the issue thoroughly is discouraged, and being atop the decision making related to it confers king-like power. This reminds prelates of the good old days, and they'll ride on those coattails if its not expressly against their doctrine.

Access to energy influences human flourishing far more than the climate that will change with or without our fealty to the wind and sun. You can't have clean water, modern agriculture, sanitary cities or productive industry without affordable and reliable energy. The AGW crowd is focused on making energy production less reliable and more expensive to the benefit of their friends. That's not moral in my book, but I'm no theologian.

Responsible stewardship of the earth is one thing, assuming that no impact from human activity is ipso facto the best way to go is a scam and anti-human.
codker92
AG
M1Buckeye said:

What do you gents think of this?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/worlds-top-3-christian-leaders-call-for-meaningful-sacrifices-to-combat-climate-change-175544270.html

So Jesus sacrifice wasn't enough?
Joe Boudain
jrico2727 said:

I wish I could say it was a good start.

It feels more like a publicity stunt.

I certainly agree we are the stewards of the earth and should care for God's creation.

I think God would prefer they work on the reunion of Christianity instead lesser matters.

Plus Jesus promises to bring Global warming when he comes back.

Side note saw this article earlier and knew OP would be bringing it here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.