Did Jesus come to save all, or just "God's children"?

878 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by UTExan
M1Buckeye
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Bible makes it clear in multiple passages that people are either the children of God or of Satan. We often hear that Jesus came to save us all. While his sacrifice will cover the sins of all that will follow him, most will not. Is it accurate to say that Jesus came to save his "flock" and not Satan's?

1 John 3:10
English Standard Version
10 By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, (A)nor is the one who (B)does not love his brother.
jrico2727
AG
1 Timothy

* First of all, then, I ask that supplications, prayers, petitions, and thanksgivings be offered for everyone,a
for kings and for all in authority, that we may lead a quiet and tranquil life in all devotion and dignity.
This is good and pleasing to God our savior,b
who wills everyone to be saved and to come to knowledge of the truth.c

For there is one God.

Also seems there was a good one about 6 more verses down In John.
M1Buckeye
jrico2727 said:

1 Timothy

* First of all, then, I ask that supplications, prayers, petitions, and thanksgivings be offered for everyone,a
for kings and for all in authority, that we may lead a quiet and tranquil life in all devotion and dignity.

For there is one God.

Do you want to answer my question?
PacifistAg
AG
John 3:16-17
1 John 2:2
John 1:29

Limited atonement also doesn't seem to be supported by historical church teaching, although I'll defer to our Orthodox poster who seems to be most knowledgeable about that. I know Athanasius spoke of universal atonement. Calvin's understanding of John 3:16 also doesn't support the concept of limited atonement.
Martin Q. Blank
Jesus in his humanity did not know who, in particular, would believe in him and be saved. In that sense, he died for everyone.

Everyone does not believe in him. His death does not save those who reject him. So in that sense, he only died for those who believe.
dermdoc
AG
jrico2727 said:

1 Timothy

For there is one God.

That Scripture makes it evident to me that the only limit to Christ's atonement comes from man.
And not from God.

This is what makes no sense to me, why would God limit His atonement? Especially when it was the sacrifice of His Son.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jrico2727
AG
M1Buckeye said:

jrico2727 said:

1 Timothy

For there is one God.

Do you want to answer my question?

I did using scripture your professed preferred method to receive an answer.
NowhereMan
God does not call us into that room of judging his judgement
We are saved from sin our corrupt nature to be citizens in heaven and part of Gods family enjoy it
UTExan
Whosoever will may come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. -- Rev. 22:17b.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.