Why I no longer identify as Catholic

5,638 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Spyderman
M1Buckeye
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dds08 said:

Jesus said his believers are to take communion every once in a while.

If you don't go to church...
Verse?
M1Buckeye
dds08 said:

Fair point. Thanks for sharing.

John 6:53-58 ESV

So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me. ...
jrico2727
AG
M1Buckeye said:

dds08 said:

So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me. ...

If you seek the true Eucharist, the Body, blood, soul and divinity of Our Lord, you won't find him at any Protestant denomination. Come back home to Rome.
craigernaught
AG
Nah.
jrico2727
AG
craigernaught said:

Nah.

Sadly, this is very unoriginal response.

From John 6
The Words of Eternal Life.*
Then many of his disciples who were listening said, "This saying is hard; who can accept it?"
Since Jesus knew that his disciples were murmuring about this, he said to them, "Does this shock you?
What if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before?*
It is the spirit that gives life, while the flesh* is of no avail. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life.
But there are some of you who do not believe." Jesus knew from the beginning the ones who would not believe and the one who would betray him.c
And he said, "For this reason I have told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by my Father."

As a result of this, many [of] his disciples returned to their former way of life and no longer accompanied him.
Jesus then said to the Twelve, "Do you also want to leave?"
Simon Peter answered him, "Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life"

Always interesting to note the verse of their rejection on Christ and the Eucharist is 6:66.
BluHorseShu
AG
M1Buckeye said:

BluHorseShu said:

M1Buckeye said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

But now, of all times in the last 1500 years, the office of Pope is suddenly too political? Really??
This world is doomed. Religious leaders that participate in politics are missing the forest for the trees, so to speak. Again, Jesus didn't engage in politics. What do the Pope and other religious leaders know that Jesus didn't? Are you suggesting that Jesus is in the wrong and that the Pope and others know better?
Jesus didn't engage in politics?
Nope. Never.

The Jews were under TWO despotic regimes, King Herod and the Romans and Jesus never spoke against them nor even implied anything against them. His criticism was reserved for the RELIGIOUS leaders. That's why they wanted Jesus DEAD and they got their wish.
Perhaps this discussions needs to take a step back and agree on a definition of politicsbecause I don't think our definitions match. My definition includes " complex of relations between people living in society". Jesus mission was at odds with the religious leaders (and rightly so)and this competing interests can be viewed under the umbrella definitions of politics based on mans definition. Jesus interests were righteous for us and the Father, everyone else's were self serving.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
What God speaks "IS"...
God the Son said "This IS my body" and "This IS my blood".
God the Son said "Do this in memory of me"
UTExan
jrico2727 said:

M1Buckeye said:

dds08 said:

If you seek the true Eucharist, the Body, blood, soul and divinity of Our Lord, you won't find him at any Protestant denomination. Come back home to Rome.

Oh my goodness.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
M1Buckeye
jrico2727 said:

craigernaught said:

Nah.

Sadly, this is very unoriginal response.

From John 6
The Words of Eternal Life.*
Then many of his disciples who were listening said, "This saying is hard; who can accept it?"
Since Jesus knew that his disciples were murmuring about this, he said to them, "Does this shock you?
What if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before?*
It is the spirit that gives life, while the flesh* is of no avail. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life.
But there are some of you who do not believe." Jesus knew from the beginning the ones who would not believe and the one who would betray him.c
And he said, "For this reason I have told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by my Father."

As a result of this, many [of] his disciples returned to their former way of life and no longer accompanied him.
Jesus then said to the Twelve, "Do you also want to leave?"
Simon Peter answered him, "Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life"

Always interesting to note the verse of their rejection on Christ and the Eucharist is 6:66.

Nice post. Thanks.
canadiaggie
AG
M1Buckeye said:

I'm 55 and was raised Catholic by my Catholic parents. I attended Catholic schools. I was an altar boy. With that said, as an adult, I infrequently attended Mass. I found Mass to be very boring.

Pope Francis' forays into the political realm were and are a big "red flag" to me. Jesus never ventured into the political realm nor did he instruct his followers to do so. So, why would the Pope? It's my view that, anyone who wants to follow in the footsteps of Jesus in order to preach his word should stick to following in the footsteps of Jesus and preach his word, not one's own political ideology. Pope Francis hasn't done that. It seems to me that the Pope is on a path, but it's not the path prescribed by our lord and savior, Jesus Christ.

Also, a few years back I discovered a picture of Pope John Paul II kissing a Koran. He had been invited to a mosque and was presented with a Koran as a gift. The Pope then kissed it. Yes, I know. He was being courteous and polite and was trying to demonstrate respect. Upon seeing this picture I asked myself "Would Jesus have kissed that book"? I believe the answer is a resounding "NO"! The Koran says that Jesus is NOT the Messiah. It is a blasphemous book. It is a LIE. On the contrary, I believe that Jesus would have dropped that book onto the floor and then scolded the gifter(s) for teaching lies. But the Pope kissed it?

I know that there are a lot of GOOD, HOLY, people, in the Catholic Church. My parents were two of them. However, I am almost positive that Jesus does NOT approve of the Pope kissing a Koran or delving into politics.

Therefore, I no longer consider myself a Catholic but, rather, a non-denominational Christian.

On another note, I discovered Pastor John MacArthur on YouTube a couple of years ago and I have really enjoyed his sermons and have learned much from him.

The Qur'an calls Jesus 'Messiah' 11 times.
M1Buckeye
Islam sees Jesus in a whole different way. They do NOT believe that he is the savior of mankind.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_Islam
craigernaught
AG
That's not what you said.

What is it with texags and being allergic to admitting you misspoke?
M1Buckeye
craigernaught said:

That's not what you said.

What is it with texags and being allergic to admitting you misspoke?

Semantics. Some want to play games with words in order to win an argument rather than engage in an honest, give-and-take, discussion that advances understanding.
craigernaught
AG
The Koran absolutely says that Jesus is the Messiah. You said it says he's not the Messiah.

It's fine to admit you were wrong. It's fine to say you made a mistake.

It's also fine to clarify that the understanding of what that word means is different.

Sheesh.
M1Buckeye
craigernaught said:

The Koran absolutely says that Jesus is the Messiah. You said it says he's not the Messiah.

It's fine to admit you were wrong. It's fine to say you made a mistake.

It's also fine to clarify that the understanding of what that word means is different.

Sheesh.

I should have said in my OP that Islam does not view Jesus as their savior. I conflated "Messiah" with "savior". Thanks for being really friendly about it.
craigernaught
AG
You: "It doesn't say that."

Muslim poster: "It says that 11 times."

You: No. You don't understand. It doesn't say this other word instead. Let me educate you on what Muslims actually believe with this Wikipedia link."

Me: It says that. Why cant you admit you made a mistake?"

You: "No. You're dishonest and are just playing semantic games. You're not interested in a real discussion."

Me: "It says that. It's okay to admit you misspoke and to clarify meaning."

You: "I should have accepted your suggestion from the beginning. You are rude."

What a bizarre exchange.
canadiaggie
AG
M1Buckeye said:

Islam sees Jesus in a whole different way. They do NOT believe that he is the savior of mankind.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_Islam

Of course we don't, but that's not because Jesus is any less important, especially to Shi'as. Jesus is central to the concept of Imamah. That's just because Islam doesn't have a concept of salvation. You're born innocent. What happens after is up to you.
ViceroyEschaton
I think you're off on a few counts, but I want to mention this continued myth about religion and politics. Jesus may have not directly engaged politics, but he absolutely was "political" and everything he said has a direct impact on political life.

Separation of politics from moral truths and ethical codes is how we get the horrors that are "secular" governments. The church has directed us on how to live morally in political society since the very beginning.
Joe Boudain
Just as Christ is fully God and fully Man, so must society and religion be integrated.
Spyderman
AG
https://www.howandwhys.com/russian-scientist-found-manuscripts-on-ufos-ancient-aliens-in-vatican-secret-archives/

Not sure if this will help but...
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.