Looking for a Protestant fasting calendar/schedule

1,717 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dermdoc
1st Generation Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I intend to make fasting a discipline. Anyone know of any Protestant fasting calendars/schedules?

I'll settle for Orthodox or even Catholic if one can't be found.
powerbelly
AG
https://glctulsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Fasting-Guidelines-Rev-2016.pdf

Zobel
AG
Most protestants don't fast on the regular. One of those baby with the bathwater losses of the reformation.

St John Cassian is a great guide.
Quote:

I shall speak first about control of the stomach, the opposite of gluttony, and about how to fast and what and how much to eat. I shall say nothing on my own account, but only what I have received from the Holy Fathers. They have not given us only a single rule for fasting or a single standard and measure for eating, because not everyone has the same strength; age, illness or delicacy of body create differences. But they have given us all single goal: to avoid over-eating and the filling of our bellies. They also found a day's fast to be more beneficial and a greater help toward purity than one extending over a period of three, four, or even seven days. Someone who fasts for too long, they say, often ends up by eating too much food. The result is that at times the body becomes enervated through undue lack of food and sluggish over its spiritual exercises, while at other times, weighed down by the mass of food it has eaten, it makes the soul listless and slack...The Fathers have handed down a single basic rule of self control; 'do not be deceived by the filling of the belly' (Prov. 24:15), or be led astray by the pleasure of the palate. It is not only the variety of foodstuffs that kindles the fiery darts of unchastity, but also their quantity...A clear rule for self-control handed down by the Fathers is this: stop eating while still hungry and do not continue until you are satisfied. When the Apostle said, 'Make no provision to fulfil the desires of the flesh' (Rom. 13:14), he was not forbidding us to provide for the needs of life; he was warning us against self indulgence. Moreover, by itself abstinence from food does not contribute to perfect purity of soul unless the other virtues are active as well.

St John Chrysostom also
Quote:

For the value of fasting consists not in abstinence from food, but in withdrawing from sinful practices; since he who limits his fasting only to an abstinence from meats, is one who especially disparages it. Do you fast? Give me proof of it by your works. Is it said by what kind of works?

If you see someone who is poor, take pity on that one. If you see in enemy, be reconciled to him! If you see a friend being honored, do not be envious. If you see a handsome woman, pass her by! Do not let only your mouth fast, but also the eyes, and the feet, and the hands and all the member of our bodies.

Let the hands fast, by being free of avarice. Let the feet fast, by ceasing to run after sin. Let the eyes fast, by disciplining them not to fix themselves rudely upon handsome countenances, or to busy themselves with strange beauties. For looking is the food of the eyes, but if this be such as is unlawful or forbidden, it mars the fast; and upsets the whole safety of the soul; but if it be lawful and safe, it adorns fasting. For it would be among things the most absurd to abstain from lawful food because of the fast, but with the eyes to touch even what is forbidden. Do you not eat flesh? Feed not upon lustfulness by means of the eyes.

Let the ears by not listening to evil talk and gossip. You shall not receive a false report,' it says. Let the mouth fast from foul words and unjust criticism. For what good is it if we abstain from birds and fishes, but bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother, and bites the body of his neighbor. Because of this Paul utters the fearful saying, 'If you bite and devour one another, take heed that you be not consumed one of another.'

That being said the general fasting rule of the Orthodox is straightforward. When we fast we abstain from animal products (generally anything with a backbone as well as dairy, eggs, etc), olive oil, and wine. We fast Wednesdays and Fridays throughout the year, and four longer fasts during the year (Great Lent before Pascha / Easter, the Apostles fast in the summer, the Dormition fast right now, and the Nativity fast before the Incarnation / Christmas).
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Sincere question, not intended to start a slap fest: given the nature of most Protestant soteriology, is your interest in fasting driven by a desire for generic self-improvement? Is it related to your faith?

Thanks
craigernaught
AG
I'd recommend Richard Foster's "Celebration of Discipline". I don't remember if it has a schedule but you may find it helpful. It's also a good idea to seek out traditions other than Protestantism as they have longer and more sustained practices here. I don't think there's much of a useful difference between an Orthodox and a Lutheran fast.

I found a PDF of Foster's section in fasting (linked below). The book is a seminary staple across denominations and traditions and is really good. Everyone, conservatives, liberals, and whatever kind of weirdo I am all loved it.

If you are going to attempt longer fasts, it may be a good idea to speak to a medical professional first. The purpose is spiritual growth, not some sort of contest.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://christianunionatyale.squarespace.com/s/Foster-Celebration-of-Discipline-Fasting.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjDzdTwva7yAhVS3IUKHc8HBZkQFnoECCYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2nbevKxe215TCddGFF5CHR
I hope the link works, otherwise just Google "Richard Foster Celebration of Discipline Fasting"
1st Generation Ag
FTACo88-FDT24dad said:

Sincere question, not intended to start a slap fest: given the nature of most Protestant soteriology, is your interest in fasting driven by a desire for generic self-improvement? Is it related to your faith?

Thanks

It is related to my faith. Trying to be more Christlike and more Apostle-like.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
1st Generation Ag said:

FTACo88-FDT24dad said:

Thanks

Thanks for the sincere answer. Appreciate it.

I won't presume to know what your thoughts are on justification (sola fide, etc), but if they are "typical" for a Protestant, can you elaborate on your thoughts about why either of those are important to you? Again, not trying to be "cute", genuinely curious.

Thanks!
TSJ
AG
I was thinking of making a thread about this at some point, but this works.

Fasting seems like one of the hardest practices in seeking being Orthodox for me. Literally, what's on the menu?
Zobel
AG
You get used to it.

Vegetables, beans, rice, shrimp, pasta, salads, avocados, bread.

Also coffee (obv), beer (obv), almond or oat milk, nuts, cereal, chia seed pudding with coconut milk, fruit, etc.
Serotonin
AG
I can't speak for Lutherans but it's important in the Orthodox Church to have a Priest or Spiritual Father who can apply economia (spiritual discretion/handling) for prayer and fasting.

As I understand it there are many common pitfalls with fasting like being overly legalistic (a sumptuous vegan meal or a box of Oreos: OK! Rice with a little olive oil: Not OK!), trying to do too much and failing, developing spiritual pride, imposing restrictions on others, refusing hospitality, etc.
1st Generation Ag
I hold the typical Protestant beliefs about justification, but the Christian life does not end when one is justified. In typical Protestant fashion I will refer to scripture: the New Testament is filled with exhortations to be imitators of Christ.

I have been a member of the Aggie Corps as well as the Marine Corps. Experience has taught me that disciplines do not always reveal their purpose at first, but in time they bear fruit and affirm their wisdom.
Win At Life
AG
1st Generation Ag said:

FTACo88-FDT24dad said:

Thanks

If that's really your aim, then you'll be more Jewish-like, passover-like and sukkot-like.
swimmerbabe11
from a Lutheran pastor

https://www.csmedia1.com/ziondetroit.org/on_fasting.docx
Pepper Brooks
AG
Just do a 16:8 intermittent fasting regiment and throw in a 24 hour fast every now and then for good measure.

God should be good with that and you'll get small daily doses of misery to remind you of how blessed you are.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Zobel said:

You get used to it.

Vegetables, beans, rice, shrimp, pasta, salads, avocados, bread.

Also coffee (obv), beer (obv), almond or oat milk, nuts, cereal, chia seed pudding with coconut milk, fruit, etc.

That's going to hurt your gains, man. Do you even lift, bro?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zobel
AG
Physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things.

But yeah lifting is definitely more difficult during the fast.
UTExan
Zobel said:

Physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things.

But yeah lifting is definitely more difficult during the fast.

Just an aside, but the Impossible Burger is a great plant based substitution if you are on a restricted diet. I do a vegetarian-based diet 2-3 times per year and work out 4 x a week with cardio, mountain climbers and swimming and I must say I have not noticed a drop off in energy.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Zobel
AG
Yeah we do those Gardein chicken things too. They're alright. I think a big part is just that eating less, both intentionally and cuz the food just isn't as good, leads to less energy.
1st Generation Ag
Thanks for the responses Ags.
BusterAg
AG
I think that there is plenty of flexibility in how / where to fast. I think that it is most important that you:

1) Set out goals / parameters before hand
2) Communicate your plan with someone close to you, to add more definition and concretion to the commitment
3) Have a definitive end date / goal in mind.

I did something close to a Nazarite fast once, was pretty cool. If you are still WFH, might be a good time to try it:

https://www.gotquestions.org/Nazirite-vow.html

Basically, don't drink any alcohol, and don't cut your hair or shave, and don't do any viewings at funerals (If you are an EM professional, I could see this not being possible). Dedicate yourself to God for the duration of the fast. Then, cut your hair, shave your face, at the pre-determined end to break the fast.

It's good for your health to get away from alcohol for a while, and this is a fun way to do an alcohol fast. On the dedicate yourself to God front, I fasted every day after sun-up until I had spent a certain amount of spiritual study for that day (I was waking up before the sun back then, so it was usually a situation where I ate a good breakfast, skipped lunch, and then dinner after study time). But, you could set up your own.

My point is, not sure you need to follow some other calendar, even though I could see those as a good place to start since they have been followed by many for long periods of time.
chuckd
AG
Thomas Boston wrote a small tract called A Memorial Concerning Personal and Family Fasting and Humiliation. It is available online, but when to do it is outlined below.

1. When, through a long track of sinning and careless walking, the case of one's soul is left quite in disorder and confusion

2. When one is under convictions, entertaining some thoughts to reform.

3. When the conscience is defiled with the guilt of some atrocious sin.

4. When one would fain get over a snare he is often caught in, and have victory over a lust that hath often mastered him.

5. While one is under a dead desertion; in which case the Lord is departed, the wonted influences from heaven are withheld, but the .wound not smarting by reason of spiritual deadness, the party is not much moved therewith.

6. When one is under a felt and smarting desertion

7. When one is pressed with some outward affliction, whether in his body, relations, name, substance, or otherwise.

8. When, by the aspect of providence, one is threatened with some such affliction.

9. When one would have light and direction in some particular matter of special weight.

10. When duty being cleared in a matter of special weight, it comes to the setting to; in which event, one needs the presence of God with him therein, the divine blessing upon it, and success in it.

11. When one, having some unordinary difficulty to encounter, is in hazard of being ensnared either into sin or danger.

12. Lastly, When one hath ill view some special solemn approach unto God; in which case a special preparation is requisite.
DirtDiver
First rule of fasting is you don't talk about fasting. <Intended to be funny and not judgmental.

I would start with the questions: Why was fasting done in a biblical sense and are there best practices.

16 "Whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 17 But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face 18 so that your fasting will not be noticed by men, but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
Womackster
AG
Zobel said:

Most protestants don't fast on the regular. One of those baby with the bathwater losses of the reformation.

Other baby they threw out with the bathwater was the Baby Jesus.
dermdoc
AG
I did a similar thing where I fasted every Wednesday until dinner. Made me much more disciplined on morning Bible study and prayers. To me the fast was useful in getting me focused on God.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.