Vaccines

13,422 Views | 345 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Sb1540
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can you demonstrate the material difference between the two? Or between gender dysmorphia and others?
ramblin_ag02
AG
Johnny04 said:

The ridiculous comparison to paranoid schizophrenia is clearly not made in good faith.

Try to look at this from a different perspective. A new virus spread across the globe killing 1 in every 200 people it infects and hospitalizing closer to 1 in 50. We basically shut down society and throw the kitchen sink at the virus with little effect. Thanks to the government bending over backwards and the pharmaceutical companies working overtime we get a fantastic vaccine in under a year. Enough people recover and get vaccinated that COVID is basically over in the US

Then a new strain pops up that is more contagious, possibly more deadly, and slightly resistant to vaccination. Suddenly, people are dying and hospitals are full and sometimes overrun just like last year. We know the vaccine still prevents hospitalization and death. We that if everyone who could get vaccinated would, then almost no one would be dying and hospitals would barely notice.

Instead, 20% of the population or more flat refuses to be vaccinated. This group talks nonstop about government control, fabricated statistics, drug company greed, constant surveillance, and push for literally any other way to prevent the virus despite nothing else working 1/10 as well as the vaccines.

Most of us that think COVID is serious for many people and a strain on our healthcare system, think the vaccines are the best medical tech in decades, think that government and corporations are trying their best in a bad situation.

Some other people think parts of the US scientific community collaborated with the Chinese government to create and release a bioweapon (that is really weaker than the flu), used the panic to gain totalitarian control of the populace, made a fake vaccine to either track us or enrich drug companies, and are suppressing all the fantastic cheap cures for said weak bioweapon.

To the rest of us, the last group sounds straight up crazy. Like every paranoid mentally ill patient stereotype crazy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sb1540
Zobel said:

Seems to fit here

"Let listening to worldly news be bitter food for you and let the words of saintly men be as combs filled with honey."
St Basil the Great
Love me some Basil. Do you think the saints would place safety at the top of their values? One spoon for communion or individual during these times?
Sb1540
ramblin_ag02 said:

Maybe it's just because of my field of work, but the whole tyranny thing is on the level of paranoid schizophrenia. One of the most basic functions of government is ensuring the safety of the people, and public health is a big part of that. That's why we have the FDA, and that's why governments control things like the water supply, sewage and burial practices. I don't have the freedom to bury someone who dies of natural causes in my back yard, and I can't dig a cesspit back there either. My freedoms don't extend to the point of putting other people's health in danger.

Unvaccinated people are 5x more likely to catch and spread COVID. They are also 10-20 times more likely to need a large amount of limited healthcare resources, and limited resources are already leading to people dying from things besides COVID. It makes perfect sense in the world for the government to require vaccination for the safety of the entire society as a whole. Luckily, this is still America, and they is still plenty of room to give live off the grid if you don't want to follow the basic rules that allow societies to exist
Basic rules that allow societies to exist…lol. Tell me are you religious or secular? What's your background?
gordo97
AG
What is happening in India? How come their COVID death rate is so low? Their vaccination rates are very low and they also have 3rd world medical system. Are they naturally immune somehow?
Sapper Redux
gordo97 said:

What is happening in India? How come their COVID death rate is so low? Their vaccination rates are very low and they also have 3rd world medical system. Are they naturally immune somehow?

Do you seriously think those numbers are accurate? They were overwhelmed beyond the breaking point and the government was actively hiding the extent of the problem.
gordo97
AG
What is happening in Ivory Coast? How come their COVID death rate is so low? Their vaccination rates are very low and they also have 3rd world medical system. Are they naturally immune somehow?
Sapper Redux
gordo97 said:

What is happening in Ivory Coast? How come their COVID death rate is so low? Their vaccination rates are very low and they also have 3rd world medical system. Are they naturally immune somehow?

Do we need to go country by country with how geography, limits in reporting, and the vagaries of viral spread affect these things? If you seriously think developing nations are reporting or testing as thoroughly as developed nations, well… you need to get out more.
gordo97
AG
What is happening in Ukraine? How come their COVID death rate is so low? Their vaccination rates are some of the lowest in Europe. Are they naturally immune somehow?
Star Wars Memes Only
Sapper Redux said:

Do we need to go country by country with how geography, limits in reporting, and the vagaries of viral spread affect these things?

gordo97 said:

yes
schmendeler
AG
gordo97 said:

What is happening in Ukraine? How come their COVID death rate is so low? Their vaccination rates are some of the lowest in Europe. Are they naturally immune somehow?

Do China next. I hear they are very transparent.
PacifistAg
AG
gordo97 said:

Zobel
AG
Orthodox Texan said:

Zobel said:

Seems to fit here

"Let listening to worldly news be bitter food for you and let the words of saintly men be as combs filled with honey."
St Basil the Great
Love me some Basil. Do you think the saints would place safety at the top of their values? One spoon for communion or individual during these times?

Where has anyone here argued for either of these things?
Sb1540
Zobel said:

Orthodox Texan said:

Zobel said:

Seems to fit here

St Basil the Great

Where has anyone here argued for either of these things?
The entire narrative of covid is based on safety. You have tried to the demonstrate this endlessly so I'm curious as an Orthodox Christian that most likely partakes in communion does your parish use one spoon or individual spoons?
Sb1540
Also do you think a virus can be present in the Eucharist?
Dilettante
The virus can be present in the Eucharist. To think otherwise is dumb in a falsifiable way.

Fomites don't play a major role though, so the Eucharist probably isn't that dangerous, even for the weirdos who love licking the same cup.
Zobel
AG
What have I tried to demonstrate endlessly? Is safety a bad thing that we should avoid it? Does it have to be at the top of our values to be considered at all?

I hate the word "narrative," it's a lazy generalization kind of argument.

My parish uses one. I think there could be viruses in the chalice, were one to look. But as I've said in here before you can not get sick from the chalice.
Dilettante
Zobel said:

But as I've said in here before you can not get sick from the chalice.
Zobel
AG
Of all of the claims of Christianity, this one is pretty mild.
Dilettante
Dilettante
Sb1540
Zobel said:

What have I tried to demonstrate endlessly? Is safety a bad thing that we should avoid it? Does it have to be at the top of our values to be considered at all?

I hate the word "narrative," it's a lazy generalization kind of argument.

My parish uses one. I think there could be viruses in the chalice, were one to look. But as I've said in here before you can not get sick from the chalice.
Nice I'll take that answer.
Sapper Redux
Zobel said:

Not trying to derail the debate, but I would be curious about this. Theoretically, I get it. The metals used in most chalices should be inhospitable to most anything in there. But taking a sip 2 seconds after someone finished adding a little backwash? Ehhh. There are probably 500 things we do a day that I would find more dangerous. This is just curiosity on my part.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Yeah, no comment on any supernatural qualities, but a pH of 4 plus a metal chalice plus an ABV of about 12% makes for being very hostile to human pathogens
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zobel
AG
Agreed. But science aside as a faith matter it simply cannot be that the body and blood of the Lord would be a means to convey sickness and death. It's antithetical to what it is.

Before you quote 1 Cor 11:30 the difference is approaching the chalice unworthily in act of self-judgment. So I should amend my former statement to you can't get sick from the chalice if you approach in fear, in faith, and in love.
Sapper Redux
ramblin_ag02 said:

Yeah, no comment on any supernatural qualities, but a pH of 4 plus a metal chalice plus an ABV of about 12% makes for being very hostile to human pathogens

Wasn't considering the ABV. That makes sense.
Frok
AG
schmendeler said:

gordo97 said:

Probably more transparent than the US at this point
Sapper Redux
Frok said:

schmendeler said:

gordo97 said:

Probably more transparent than the US at this point

Florida and Nebraska are certainly using Chinese-approved methods to obfuscate the extent of their Covid outbreaks.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Maybe it's just because of my field of work, but the whole tyranny thing is on the level of paranoid schizophrenia. One of the most basic functions of government is ensuring the safety of the people, and public health is a big part of that. That's why we have the FDA, and that's why governments control things like the water supply, sewage and burial practices. I don't have the freedom to bury someone who dies of natural causes in my back yard, and I can't dig a cesspit back there either. My freedoms don't extend to the point of putting other people's health in danger.

Unvaccinated people are 5x more likely to catch and spread COVID. They are also 10-20 times more likely to need a large amount of limited healthcare resources, and limited resources are already leading to people dying from things besides COVID. It makes perfect sense in the world for the government to require vaccination for the safety of the entire society as a whole. Luckily, this is still America, and they is still plenty of room to give live off the grid if you don't want to follow the basic rules that allow societies to exist
Perhaps the unvaccinated should be required to yell out "unclean! unclean!" as they walk among the public?
ramblin_ag02
AG
I don't think an unvaccinated person walking around in public shouting is a very smart thing to do in the middle of a pandemic.

I'm starting to believe the COVID19 virus set up a social media account and has been trying to keep people from getting vaccinated.
Sapper Redux
Dad-O-Lot said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Perhaps the unvaccinated should be required to yell out "unclean! unclean!" as they walk among the public?

No, but required hair shirts may move the vaccination numbers.
Sb1540
There's always an excuse from the left when they get called out for this stuff but this one is the best. It will be very interesting to see certain populations of the vaccinated when they stop complying with orders as they believe they are safe with their vaccination or are bringing a relatively low risk to others when in public.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.