Leo Tolstoy

669 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ulrich
HombreDoce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have began reading The Kingdom of God is within you knowing that Tolstoy's only torch was the light of nineteenth-century reason. If he was won over by Jesus' message, it was because he came to believe that Jesus was simply the most rational but human teacher ever to have walked the planet not some incredible 'son of God' whose body was resurrected and actually flew back into heaven. Tolstoy believed that traditional mysteries such as Jesus' divinity, Mary's virginity, miracles and resurrections were either total nonsense or could be rationalised away. I find myself conflicted because I do believe Christ is the son of God and feel the Holy Spirit in my life every day. I also find myself agreeing with the first three chapters of the book. Has anyone on the board studied Tolstoy's later work? I believe it could really strengthen my faith to study Christ through the eyes of a rationalist.
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think Tolstoy is worth reading and engaging with on most topics. He's not always the most disciplined thinker and he's not always correct, but he's extraordinarily perceptive and one of the most underrated intellects of the last 200 years.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.