Hello Friends

1,711 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dermdoc
Silent For Too Long
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Long time, no posting.

I've taken a rather extensive vacation from R&P and Texags in general but I miss interacting with your personalities and ideas. I still drop in from time to time to see whats being discussed.

This new codker guy is, um, interesting. I've been musing to myself if this could be a new incarnation of my old freinemy Tyson. What an interesting personal story arc that would reveal.

Anywho, been reading some Marcus Borg lately. Specifically Reading The Bible Again for the First Time and Jesus, Uncovering the Life, Teachings, and Relevance of a Religious Revolutionary.

He's not a literalist which I find conducive to my general way of thinking, although I find he can be a little too post modern in his approach at times. Overall the perspective is an interesting one.

Trying to post more when I can. Miss you all.
Star Wars Memes Only
Sup homie?
Dilettante
Username checks out.
craigernaught
AG
R&P old crowd. Welcome back!
Aggrad08
AG
Welcome back
Win At Life
AG
If you're into reading new things, try this:

These Things You Should Have Done

It's priced at only $3.92. I'm not sure how they got it that low without some sort of subsidy, but what a deal.
dermdoc
AG
Welcome back!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Silent For Too Long
Thanks all.

WAL that sounds like it would juxtapose wonderfully against Borg's perspective. I'll give it a look.
Silent For Too Long
Are you familiar with Borg, Craig?

His writing is reminiscent of some of the perspectives you have shared and I thought you may have stumbled across him in seminary.
Silent For Too Long
What's up my man!

I remember you were dabbling into some form of spiritual inquiry a few years ago. A renewed interest in faith of sorts. Did that end up taking you anywhere?
AggieRain
AG
Silent For Too Long said:

Long time, no posting.

I've taken a rather extensive vacation from R&P and Texags in general but I miss interacting with your personalities and ideas. I still drop in from time to time to see whats being discussed.

This new codker guy is, um, interesting. I've been musing to myself if this could be a new incarnation of my old freinemy Tyson. What an interesting personal story arc that would reveal.

Anywho, been reading some Marcus Borg lately. Specifically Reading The Bible Again for the First Time and Jesus, Uncovering the Life, Teachings, and Relevance of a Religious Revolutionary.

He's not a literalist which I find conducive to my general way of thinking, although I find he can be a little too post modern in his approach at times. Overall the perspective is an interesting one.

Trying to post more when I can. Miss you all.
So you have no idea who codker is, huh...
Silent For Too Long
Heh. I knew someone would say that.

Borg self indentifies as postmodern, fwiw.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG

craigernaught
AG

Borg is certainly known for his strong scholarship.

I was looking through his Amazon page to try to remember which book of his I've read (and finding that gem above). I know I've at least read The Meaning of Jesus by Borg and N.T. Wright and The First Paul, although I don't remember too much about them specifically. It's been a while.

Borg is a giant and modern seminarians pretty much all have to contend one way or the other with the work of Borg, the Jesus Seminar and their "third quest for the historical Jesus". Their work is helpful yet has faced well-founded criticism. Anyone serious about the historical Jesus would do well to read some from one of the Seminar's major contributors like Funk, Crossan, and Borg.
Frok
AG
All this talk of Borg makes me think of this guy

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Borg?
Star Wars Memes Only
Silent For Too Long said:

What's up my man!

I remember you were dabbling into some form of spiritual inquiry a few years ago. A renewed interest in faith of sorts. Did that end up taking you anywhere?

The hope was that I would find some wisdom in the texts that I could apply to my own life, but my foray into religion ended up being somewhat short lived and taking me nowhere.

I initially tried reading up on some of the Hindu texts, since that is the religion of my family, but I found them impenetrable. I then attempted to read the Bible, but about halfway through Leviticus I didn't feel like I was getting anything out of it. The Bible is not the easiest of reads, and even at only 5ish percent through it had taken quite a bit of time, so I decided to stop there.
Silent For Too Long
I found the Bhagavad Gita to be a fascinating work, but I'm a sucker for esoteric spiritual wisdom literature.

On that same note, if you ever get curious again skip the Torah and go straight to Ecclesiasties, Job, and Proverbs. Generally referred to as the Wisdom literature, collectively. Ecclesiasties in particular is a text that I think transcends time and culture.
dermdoc
AG
Those are my favorite three books of the Bible.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
I would start with the gospel of John if you are serious about learning about the Gospel.
Aggrad08
AG
Ecclesiastes is the best book in the Bible by far
Zobel
AG
I really like Jonah, because once you "get" it it's both hilarious and poignant. Brilliant book.

I struggle with Job because most people take away the exact opposite message than what seems to me to be the author's intent.
dermdoc
AG
Zobel said:

I really like Jonah, because once you "get" it it's both hilarious and poignant. Brilliant book.

I struggle with Job because most people take away the exact opposite message than what seems to me to be the author's intent.

We just did Jonah in our Bible study and I agree. Little gem there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.