Hey Mods: A Good Idea from the Entertainment Board

1,109 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Pro Sandy
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Scrolling through a thread regarding last Sunday's 60 minutes program on UFOs and UAPs. Naturally, the discussion trended into origins of these UAPs and one poster suggested that a Supernatural Forum be created. Instead, why not roll this into the F15 board and rename it Faith and the Supernatural to cover all bases? Everything from theology and philosophy to the paranormal would be appropriate subject matter.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
PacifistAg
AG
I know there have been suggestions that we add 'Science' to the board name. If that's never been done, I don't see how you can rename it to include 'Supernatural', especially since belief in the supernatural requires an element of faith to start with.
Quad Dog
AG
Religion and supernatural seems redundant
Dilettante
I'd love it if there was a separate supernatural board, but probably not for the same reason as OP.
Martin Q. Blank
UFOs are not supernatural.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

I know there have been suggestions that we add 'Science' to the board name.
It would be a little redundant. Science is a branch of philosophy. That's why they all get Doctorates of Philosophy instead of Doctorates of Science
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
Yeah, I agree. I think keep it as is.
UTExan
Martin Q. Blank said:

And you know this with certainty? Perhaps share with us or the government?
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Martin Q. Blank
UTExan said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Yes. Supernatural phenomena are ones that do not follow natural laws such as water to wine or the sun stopping. UFOs are natural phenomena, just unexplained.
Dilettante
I really think the correct name for this board is nature and philosophy, or just philosophy. Religion is also part of philosophy.
UTExan
Martin Q. Blank said:

UTExan said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Yes. Supernatural phenomena are ones that do not follow natural laws such as water to wine or the sun stopping. UFOs are natural phenomena, just unexplained.

Actually, their flight characteristics do not conform to physical laws: they are reported to travel at speed and change direction instantly without loss of speed, dive into water at high speed, etc. hence the theory by various researchers that they could be inter dimensional.
Dilettante
What does interdimensional even mean? I'm interdimensional. I've got at least 4 of them, as far as I can tell.
UTExan
Dilettante said:

What does interdimensional even mean? I'm interdimensional. I've got at least 4 of them, as far as I can tell.

Think parallel reality. The spiritual world as opposed to this physical arrangement of space and atoms, although I do believe that the spiritual interposed onto the physical world whereas our prayers and petitions to God interpose on the spiritual world.
Dilettante
Sounds like you're referring to higher dimensions. What's your litmus test for declaring those dimensions supernatural and ours natural? Is the distinction dependent on the dimensions the observer can perceive?
UTExan
Dilettante said:

Sounds like you're referring to higher dimensions. What's your litmus test for declaring those dimensions supernatural and ours natural? Is the distinction dependent on the dimensions the observer can perceive?

I don't if higher is the correct word. I would use other. I also wouldn't put down a bright line on declaring dimensions as supernatural. I would include paranormal phenomena or events not explained by science in this grouping. But Pacifist brings up a good point: there is no science forum. The Nerdery is sort of science but leans more techie.
Pro Sandy
AG
I don't know, Jesus and UFOs might be quite related.

Ezekiel clearly saw a UFO. Did Jesus come by UFO?

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.