Leaked letter from Russell Moore to ERLC

4,967 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Frok
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some very troubling things in here:

https://religionnews.com/2021/06/02/russell-moore-to-erlc-trustees-they-want-me-to-live-in-psychological-terror/

There are a lot of great Southern Baptists, but their leadership is absolutely broken. From mishandling and covering up sex abuse, to racism, it's a mess.
Redstone
AG
The Catholic Church has some massive problems - including IMO literal demonic infiltration via various forms of clericism and sodomical undue influence throughout the 20th Century, as even "leftist" investigators like Sipe have detailed.

However

The Apostolic (Catholic / Orthodox) Church has as the "center" (source and summit of worship according to the Catechism) of a service, the Sacrifice of the Mass, Christ Himself, in the Sacrament.

All of the many varieties of Protestants, SBC especially, have as the center / summit of the service ..... what? The charism of the speaker?

This is a fundamental problem.
PacifistAg
AG
While the center, or however you described it, may be true, the RCC is in absolutely no place to be tossing stones about clergy sex abuse. What we need to do with the SBC is the same as what should be done with the RCC...pray for repentance and healing, while also demanding accountability, reform, and amends.
Redstone
AG
Sure, agree.

I'm not really trying to argue, but the Protestant / non discussion will always be a constant here for an essential reason:

charism is extremely and inherently limited. How can there be true worship without sacrifice (or, Sacrifice of Sacrament) and death? In the OT times, as now?
Dilettante
What the heck is sodomical undue influence?
Redstone
AG
Men - many - like McCarrick, and their extremely powerful patrons such as Spellman, promoted and protected throughout the hierarchy. Blackmail and the threat thereof - constantly. Seminary formation directors - deciding who is "moving forward" ....

Read about McCarrick for a start.

As with former Speaker Hastert - almost everyone "knew." And yet....
UTExan
Redstone said:

The Catholic Church has some massive problems - including IMO literal demonic infiltration via various forms of clericism and sodomical undue influence throughout the 20th Century, as even "leftist" investigators like Sipe have detailed.

However

The Apostolic (Catholic / Orthodox) Church has as the "center" (source and summit of worship according to the Catechism) of a service, the Sacrifice of the Mass, Christ Himself, in the Sacrament.

All of the many varieties of Protestants, SBC especially, have as the center / summit of the service ..... what? The charism of the speaker?

You might want to check out a charismatic Catholic service.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
UTExan
Being willing to admit and repent of past wrongs is a sign of a healthy individual or organization. Trying to cover up such abuses can only bring more evil. I recall fondly how a Baptist pastor reached out to me once as an errant teenager to tell me the good news of the Kingdom of God. Of course, he was more concerned with winning souls than acquiring political power.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
PacifistAg
AG
No doubt. There are some great people in the SBC. I'm friends with many, especially on twitter. I truly believe the problem is at the top in the Executive Committee and the seminaries.
PacifistAg
AG
This thread is in no way meant to drag Baptists through the mud. I think the SBC presents a great warning to us all of the dangers of focusing on the speck in the eye of others, while ignoring (or covering up) the pack in our own eyes. They aren't the first denomination to suffer from this, and they won't be the last.

One tweet that I think really highlights this was from an SBC pastor who said most people who leave evangelicalism do so because they want to have sex with people that the Bible says they can't. I think a perspective like that is revealing, as his responses were flooded with people who talked about the physical, emotional, and spiritual trauma inflicted on them by their churches as their reasons for leaving. When you deny their reality, you are infinitely less likely to a address root problems that led to that trauma.
chimpanzee
PacifistAg said:

This thread is in no way meant to drag Baptists through the mud. I think the SBC presents a great warning to us all of the dangers of focusing on the speck in the eye of others, while ignoring (or covering up) the pack in our own eyes. They aren't the first denomination to suffer from this, and they won't be the last.

One tweet that I think really highlights this was from an SBC pastor who said most people who leave evangelicalism do so because they want to have sex with people that the Bible says they can't. I think a perspective like that is revealing, as his responses were flooded with people who talked about the physical, emotional, and spiritual trauma inflicted on them by their churches as their reasons for leaving. When you deny their reality, you are infinitely less likely to a address root problems that led to that trauma.

Religiously unaffiliated Americans are growing in number and percentage, they're likely a plurality among categories now. Survey after survey indicates that the largest issue that people negatively identify with organized religion is the stances on sexual morality.

You can't under emphasize the role of hypocrisy in losing whatever moral standing you might have on a subject, and I'd make the case that is the last 100 years, religion in the west has abandoned theology altogether and deemphasized most moral questions that a normal person will run across in their life time apart from sexual morality, and then failed to live up to their own standards even on that.

People are not naturally driven to sexual restraint and focus to a faithful family life, I don't think that's news. It takes a social order and support to make that sacrifice, and that has been managed with a combination of carrots and sticks for all of recorded history. The institution that has wielded the biggest stick in the West over the past two millennia in this regard turns out to tolerate building its hierarchies in contravention of its own standards on this very topic (see Borgias, McCarrick, Jim Bakker, etc.).

It's understandable if people decide that whatever fulfillment a particular church may be pointing you toward with behavior it won't practice itself is just a mechanism to control and shame you as an ineducable simpleton, while they can enjoy whatever lifestyle they like. The argument of institutions of man versus institutions of God is a tough one to slog through. I believe the latter will persist, but you can't avoid the former.
AGC
AG
It's hard to read the letter and take it at face value. CRT is a big issue splitting the denomination and it's been trending that way for years with a sprinkle of denhollander popping up in between (and not always wrongly). One needs to view the world through crt to see white nationalists and racists everywhere undermining everything and he's even thrown in Ferguson to bolster his credentials on race.
UTExan
AGC said:

It's hard to read the letter and take it at face value. CRT is a big issue splitting the denomination and it's been trending that way for years with a sprinkle of denhollander popping up in between (and not always wrongly). One needs to view the world through crt to see white nationalists and racists everywhere undermining everything and he's even thrown in Ferguson to bolster his credentials on race.

Yes and I have never been impressed with his analysis of race relations. I think he, as a child of Mississippi, saw the extremes in race relations which informed his worldview; most of us do that. But Moore was never able to let go of his embrace of the questionable tenets of CRT, which inevitably needs another race to blame for systemic failures.
dermdoc
AG
As a guy raised Baptist, sounds very Bayloresque.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
anaag75
AG
PacifistAg said:

No doubt. There are some great people in the SBC. I'm friends with many, especially on twitter. I truly believe the problem is at the top in the Executive Committee and the seminaries.

The Executive Committee part is especially true. The first SBC seminary I attended has seen (rightly IMO) it's exalted figurehead go down in flames. He represented the good ol boy, ends justify the means type of politics that disregards the Gospel for the power of controlling the tithes. The second seminary that I currently attend seems to have less volatile leadership, but it's hard to know as just a student. It's a shame that thoughts creep in, wondering whether he got the job because of his leadership and scholarship skills or back room deals.

If the Lord called me away from a Southern Baptist Church tomorrow, I would feel pangs of nostalgia much like the author of the letter mentions. But I won't miss having to explain why I disagree with those in power at the top.
PacifistAg
AG
I assume you're referring to Paige Patterson, who is also the one who is reportedly the individual who referred to Trillia Newbell as "the black girl".
Tramp96
Redstone said:

However

Not true.

Lutheran Church Missouri Synod has Christ at the center of our Divine Service. at the center of our Theology, at the center of everything. Our Divine Service is not much different from the traditional Catholic Mass...in many ways we have retained more of the old, traditional mass than the modern RCC has.

But then, we do consider ourselves as part of the Apostolic Church, even if RCC & Orthodox do not.

Redstone
AG
We've definitely done violence to the liturgy over the past century.

As to what the Mass is:
Catholic and Orthodox consider themselves unique, including away from high Anglican and Lutheran, for deep theological, Sacramental reasons ... unique from Councils of Florence until now (and including the sad split of Oriental and Eastern).

I'm not trying to be difficult or a jerk here, but do hope ALL Protestants prayerfully consider these Apostolic Sacraments, and reach conclusions quite different from Luther.
Tramp96
Redstone said:

As to what the Mass is:
Catholic and Orthodox consider themselves unique, including away from high Anglican and Lutheran, for deep theological, Sacramental reasons ... unique from Councils of Florence until now (and including the sad split of Oriental and Eastern).

I'm not trying to be difficult or a jerk here, but do hope ALL Protestants prayerfully consider these Apostolic Sacraments, and reach conclusions quite different from Luther.
Maybe before you exclude us (and lump us in with the Reformed), you do a deep dive into the Book of Concord to see what we actually believe.

We are not Lutherites. We do not prescribe to everything Luther wrote. He was wrong on many things, just as he was right on many things.

We are Lutherans. We are orthodox Christians and our beliefs are grounded in Scripture, and our doctrine, again based on Scripture, is explained in great detail in the Book of Concord. I would start with the Unaltered Augsburg Confession and the Apology of the Augsburg Confession, as well as the Large Catechism.

You may be surprised at how Apostolic we really are.

ETA: My whole point is that Christ is at the center of everything for us. Baptism, Lord's Supper, and the Divine Service...it all points to Christ and to nothing else. Period.
cavscout96
AG
Tramp96 said:

Redstone said:

However

Not true.

Lutheran Church Missouri Synod has Christ at the center of our Divine Service. at the center of our Theology, at the center of everything. Our Divine Service is not much different from the traditional Catholic Mass...in many ways we have retained more of the old, traditional mass than the modern RCC has.

But then, we do consider ourselves as part of the Apostolic Church, even if RCC & Orthodox do not.

same for orthodox Anglicanism
cavscout96
AG
Redstone said:

As to what the Mass is:

What you consider yourself, and what is reality, are not always the same thing.

Quote:

This is akin to:

"I'm all for the Second amendment, BUT...."
"I support the Constitution, BUT..."

This hubris is what continues to drive me away from the RCC.
Redstone
AG
Supremacy claims ("hubris"? Sure, of a type) are inherent to religion.

Is it not accurate that Henry and Luther's arguments for reform were (and are!, sometimes) correct - as were the Catholic reformers of the time ....

AND
that Henry's spiritual supremacy claims were and are wrong,
and
that Luther's rejection of some longstanding Sacramental claims (and of more than a bit of the canon, amongst much else) were and are wrong
?
chimpanzee
Redstone said:

Is it not accurate that Henry and Luther's arguments for reform were (and are!, sometimes) correct - as were the Catholic reformers of the time ....

AND
and
that Luther's rejection of some longstanding Sacramental claims (and of more than a bit of the canon, amongst much else) were and are wrong
?

Henry VIII and Luther's ecclesiologies were likely products of convenience relative to what they wanted to persist, to say nothing of the patriarchs of the Eastern Orthodox. Just like Clement VII and Urban VI.
Redstone
AG
Let's assume so.

Does this justify their followers - named after their actions for centuries, up to the present - breaking from Apostolic authority that is both divided AND by mutual consent, valid? (And yes I know Orthodox to Catholic not always so)
chimpanzee
Redstone said:

Let's assume so.

Does this justify their followers - named after their actions for centuries, up to the present - breaking from Apostolic authority that is both divided AND by mutual consent, valid? (And yes I know Orthodox to Catholic not always so)

I wish I knew, but I don't. I know many of them love Christ and His mercy endures.
Tramp96
Redstone said:

AND
and
?

I really don't want to take the bait to get into a discussion away from what actually started this discussion - Jesus Christ as our focus (ironically mirroring the heart of the debate generating the Reformation, LOL).

So let's get back to the only thing of true importance and what prompted my initial response to your earlier post. What is the center of our faith, and the source of our salvation?

The 2nd person of the Triune God. The Son. The perfect Lamb. God Incarnate. Our Savior. Jesus Christ. The propitiation of our sins.

You said that only the RCC and Orthodox had Jesus as the center focus of their Mass. I said that is in error. And now here we are talking about what Luther and Henry were and were not right about, and going down the road of what is and is not a Sacrament and what is and is not Canon.

Here's the deal, and here's why I am a Creedal Confessing Lutheran. Christ alone is the source of our salvation. Nothing else but Christ. Nothing in addition to him, not even 0.00000001% in addition to him. His death on the cross and resurrection was the COMPLETE propitiation for our sins.

Any doctrine, or any portion of any doctrine, that points to anything other than, or in addition to, Christ as being needed for salvation is heterodoxy leading to heresy. That was the entire point of the Reformation...to get us back to the original teaching of the Gospel as professed by the Apostles and the early Church fathers like Augustine, Clement, Jerome, Gregory the Great, John Chrysostom, etc.

Tramp96
Redstone said:

Let's assume so.

Who broke from the true Apostolic Authority?

I would say it was the Roman Catholic Church many, many years prior to the Reformation. They abdicated their role as the Apostolic Church when they began preaching doctrine that was counter to the Gospel.

I would say the Lutheran Church has remained true to the Apostolic succession because we are preaching today what the original Apostles and Church Fathers preached. The RCC? Not so much.

You can just call us Romans 8 Catholics instead of Lutherans. We would actually prefer it.
AGC
AG
Tramp96 said:

Redstone said:

Let's assume so.

Who broke from the true Apostolic Authority?

I would say it was the Roman Catholic Church many, many years prior to the Reformation. They abdicated their role as the Apostolic Church when they began preaching doctrine that was counter to the Gospel.

I would say the Lutheran Church has remained true to the Apostolic succession because we are preaching today what the original Apostles and Church Fathers preached. The RCC? Not so much.

You can just call us Romans 8 Catholics instead of Lutherans. We would actually prefer it.

Russell Moore would call you a racist 8 catholic instead of Lutheran. Are we back on topic?
Redstone
AG
Is there Apostolic spiritual authority without a visible successor to Peter? (And yes Francis is awful but that's another thread.)

Second, Lutheranism has a Joseph Smith Problem: the founder itself. Such as wanting to slice a 1,200 year old canon (which the Apostolic Church decided in the 3rd Century).

Third, by whose authority? Luther's break? Pass, even as both he and his Catholic reformer opponents made plenty of valid points.
Tramp96
Redstone said:

Is there Apostolic spiritual authority without a visible successor to Peter? (And yes Francis is awful but that's another thread.)

Second, Lutheranism has a Joseph Smith Problem: the founder itself. Such as wanting to slice a 1,200 year old canon (which the Apostolic Church decided in the 3rd Century).

Third, by whose authority? Luther's break? Pass, even as both he and his Catholic reformer opponents made plenty of valid points.

How do you reconcile the Eastern Orthodox to the RCC then if you are basing Apostolic authority on a perceived papal succession from Saint Peter? Do you even realize that this simple question from you says that you are putting your faith in men rather than in Christ? Can't you see that?

Heck, the Orthodox don't even subscribe to the same Nicene Creed that the RCC and Lutheran Church confess (or is it profess?) That's what boggles my mind about your acceptance that the Orthodox & RCC are aligned but the Lutherans aren't...the Orthodox don't even accept the same Nicene Creed!

The comparison of Luther to Joseph Smith is so ridiculous I'm not even going there with you.

Lastly, Luther is not the "founder" of "Lutheranism". Like I said before, we are NOT Lutherites.

Read the Book of Concord. I'll be happy to buy you a copy.
Redstone
AG
Of course Orthodox & RCC are aligned in ways ALL Protestants are not, no matter those liturgical processes. Even as the differences are real, substantial, and important (even on the nature of sin):
- Sacramental recognition is common
- There is a clear line of Apostolic succession
- The Council(s) of Florence provide a clear pathway to reconciliation
Redstone
AG
Regarding Luther as not the "founder" of "Lutheranism: why the branding for 600 years?

This generalization is fair, and is not mine.
anaag75
AG
Edit: Never mind. Not worth the back and forth that would ensue.
AGC
AG
Thought this would be a good thread to bump for the SBC scandal after their recent elections. Elected guy plagiarized sermons without attribution (from former president among others) and apparently he and the former SBC president used Docent Research Group? for help writing sermons. What a bizarre chain of events but perhaps fitting for Moore's choice since Moore himself forgot what the E part of ERLC stood for in attempting to release an 'October surprise' to get his preferred candidate elected.

Edit: Aggie related because central's lead pastor is the one that leaked the audio recordings from what I can tell from his public Twitter posts. I've been told he used to work for Russell Moore too (confirmed on his public church bio, seven years at the ERLC).
Redstone
AG
Without the Sacraments, the "center" of a service is charism and then the eventual fall, as we are all sinners. No matter how much we know of the Bible.

Only Christ endures. The Sacraments are essential for worship.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.