Happy Pride Month

20,402 Views | 421 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sapper Redux
Star Wars Memes Only
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dilettante
In.
UTExan
Is this the part where "inclusive" Christians are supposed to celebrate parades in which men in g-strings dance in public and use Pride Festivals as occasions for multiple hookups?
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Dilettante

Celebrate? It would be better if you'd actively participate.

We just want you to express yourself.
UTExan
No thanks. Don't need/want the public attention, nor do I want to shut down public roadways for my privately held beliefs.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
diehard03
some men just want to watch the world burn
diehard03
Quote:

Is this the part where "inclusive" Christians are supposed to celebrate parades in which men in g-strings dance in public and use Pride Festivals as occasions for multiple hookups?

meh. you can do better than this. homosexuality doesn't preclude promote promiscuity anymore than heterosexuality does.

You do know that part of the reason is happens is to keep living rent free in your head, right?
Beer Baron
AG
UTExan said:

Don't forget all the corporations. It's that magical time of year again when people stop complaining about cancel culture so they can try to cancel Apple, Skittles, or whoever.
Dilettante
I think you're using preclude when you mean promote. They're antonyms.
kurt vonnegut
AG
diehard03 said:

some men just want to watch the world burn

and women. . . . . sexist.
schmendeler
AG
what if we called it "Gay Mardi Gras" instead of "Pride?" is that redundant?
diehard03
Quote:

Yep. I had proceed on the brain, but promote works better. thanks.
Star Wars Memes Only
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Yep. I had proceed on the brain, but promote works better. thanks.

I think you're using proceed when you mean precede. They're antonyms.
kurt vonnegut
AG
UTExan said:

No thanks. Don't need/want the public attention, nor do I want to shut down public roadways for my privately held beliefs.

That also apply to all of the public services, public schools, etc. that shut down for Christmas and Easter?
diehard03
alright, im out. Apparently, I cannot texags today. Carry on.
Dilettante
kurt vonnegut said:

UTExan said:

That also apply to all of the public services, public schools, etc. that shut down for Christmas and Easter?
Parades should be banned. That's actually something I can get behind.
UTExan
Nm
UTExan
kurt vonnegut said:

UTExan said:

I would be fine with that. Christmas/Easter are faith/ cultural events.
Macarthur
UTExan said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

meh. you can do better than this. homosexuality doesn't preclude promote promiscuity anymore than heterosexuality does.

You do know that part of the reason is happens is to keep living rent free in your head, right?

My wife dragged me along to one Pride week event because of her friends. Yeah, they were there for hookups.
Yeah, a straights don't try to hookup with drunks at a St. Patty's Day parade?
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

Or any given Saturday at North Gate. They even shut the streets down so decent people can't use them while they're doing it!
kurt vonnegut
AG
UTExan said:

kurt vonnegut said:

UTExan said:

I would be fine with that. Christmas/Easter are faith/ cultural events.
I respect the consistency. Although, I think its worth imagining the **** storm that would happen if Christmas were removed from the federal / public holiday list. I suppose all I meant to do was point out that there is similar abuse of this public / private relationship elsewhere.

For what its worth, I'm not philosophically opposed to a federal Christmas holiday or a gay pride parade that closes down a street. Applying the rules fairly and indiscriminately and reasonably can get complicated fast. . . . maybe its one of those things where if you can't give everyone what they want, then no one gets what they want.

Dilettante
Gays are way more promiscuous, for the record. We've had threads about it.

UTExan at a pride parade sounds absolutely hilarious.
UTExan
Macarthur said:

UTExan said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

My wife dragged me along to one Pride week event because of her friends. Yeah, they were there for hookups.

Which is equally self-destructive.
PacifistAg
AG
Happy Pride!

I love the month where the same people who proudly sing "I'm proud to be an American..." remind us, over and over, that pride is a sin.
PacifistAg
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

UTExan said:

As a trans woman, I love the public celebration of Pride.

As a Christian, I love the public celebration of the birth of my Savior.

These are my two most favorite months, December easily being my #1.
PacifistAg
AG
PacifistAg
AG
UTExan said:

March for Life? Not trying to be a "gotcha", but genuinely curious. Are there times you're fine with exceptions? If so, what's the criteria?
UTExan
PacifistAg said:

UTExan said:

March for Life? Not trying to be a "gotcha", but genuinely curious. Are there times you're fine with exceptions? If so, what's the criteria?

Nope. Don't do marches like that. I have done the local AIDS walk as a fundraiser but participants largely stuck to the sidewalks. Even then I did not like impeding motorists. What really gets me is when they shut down roads for bicycles for the "Tour of Utah".
diehard03
Quote:

Is there a point in time in which it becomes a "net negative", if you will...ie, promotes virtue signaling by individuals and corporations while progress remains at a slower rate?
PacifistAg
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Is there a point in time in which it becomes a "net negative", if you will...ie, promotes virtue signaling by individuals and corporations while progress remains at a slower rate?

The corporate aspect does irritate me. My company, for example, just changed their logo to a Pride logo. Their words are always about diversity and inclusion, yet their benefit plans don't cover trans-related procedures. I really like my company and have been nothing but accepted since coming out, but truly being inclusive is more than that. So, as you said, progress can be slowed by the virtue signaling. Very fair point.
PacifistAg
AG
As someone said about, I do appreciate the consistency. Thanks.
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

I don't think so. I'm old enough to remember when businesses wouldn't touch Pride with a 10-foot pole. The fact that they feel like it's a money maker rather than a money loser is only a good sign IMO.
diehard03
Quote:

I don't think so. I'm old enough to remember when businesses wouldn't touch Pride with a 10-foot pole. The fact that they feel like it's a money maker rather than a money loser is only a good sign IMO.

Well, it maybe less that it's a money maker and more that they don't have to spend MORE money actually trying to solve the problem.

To Pacifist's point, it's easier to change your logo to rainbow than it is to actually cover transgender surgeries.

But I agree with you - we aren't there yet.
Beer Baron
AG
I don't disagree. I guess I'm just saying I don't see a world where corporations are still interested in at least paying lip service to social progress where actual social progress isn't also humming along at a decent clip parallel to that. If the social progress stopped, you can bet the money and sponsorships would too. Likewise, the more social progress is made, the more of a spotlight is shined on hypocrisies like the one Pacifist mentioned. I think they kind of feed off each other in a good way.
swimmerbabe11
The gays just love me so much they celebrate my birthday the whole month.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.