Scientology and Mormons

2,503 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 94chem
Hendrix
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The world would be better off without these nut jobs. Prove me wrong. How screwed up do you have to be to buy into that bull*****
Aggrad08
AG
Mormons are wonderful folks who's beliefs are only marginally more stupid than many other religions, especially folks that tend to take things literally. But you know what, they walk the walk better than any religious group I can think of.

Scientologists are scum and dupes, and leave the world worse than they found it.
bigcat22
AG
Agree with Aggrad regarding Mormons, they are some of the friendliest and honest people I've ever met. That said, I honestly pity them as Mormonism is such a works-based religion and, most importantly, we don't worship the same Jesus.
Dilettante
Mormons are the best people.

Star Wars Memes Only
bigcat22 said:

I honestly pity them as Mormonism is such a works-based religion

Why is this a bad thing?
PacifistAg
AG
What's the point of this thread? Seems like a Clarice F16 thread started for no reason other than to simply bash certain groups of people. Doesn't really fit in this forum.
bigcat22
AG
dargscisyhp said:

bigcat22 said:

Why is this a bad thing?

Works are wonderful and a great way to bless others. But they shouldn't be done as a way to earn your way into Heaven. We all fall short, which is why grace is such a beautiful thing
Beer Baron
AG
If you explained the basic tenets and mythologies of either of them to an alien who was studying human religions I don't see how they'd single these out as being appreciably stranger than any other religion's stories that aren't qualified as being an allegory. The only thing they're really lacking that's keeping them from being accepted as mainstream is less time on the scene and smaller numbers. The mormons are working hard on that second one so who knows what peoples' views on them will be when their religion has had 2000 years to bake a little.
Aggrad08
AG
bigcat22 said:

dargscisyhp said:

bigcat22 said:

Why is this a bad thing?

Works are wonderful and a great way to bless others. But they shouldn't be done as a way to earn your way into Heaven. We all fall short, which is why grace is such a beautiful thing
Why not? I mean really, looking objectively, a faith-based system seems generally inferior to a works-based system. Why does God care more about belief than loving your neighbor as yourself? If we ever had to pick just one commandment this would be it.

this seems rooted in a Christian (especially protestant) idea of the depravity of man, that any attempt to be good is an attempt to abandon the self and become godlike. Catholics seem to figure we aren't pure *******s to the core.
bigcat22
AG
I don't necessarily disagree, i.e faith without works is dead.

Now, if the argument shifts to determine if "good" people go to Heaven, my question would be under whose standard do we define good?
ramblin_ag02
AG
bigcat22 said:

I don't necessarily disagree, i.e faith without works is dead.

Now, if the argument shifts to determine if "good" people go to Heaven, my question would be under whose standard do we define good?

Umm

Jesus

(Texags edits out ellipsis for some reason)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bigcat22
AG
Exactly, and we all fall short. We cannot be saved based on our works. And that doesn't mean works are bad by any means, just that they cannot save.
Zobel
AG
The only works the Bible say cannot save are works of the Law. The scriptures are pretty clear that faith saves, but faith without works is dead, worthless, and cannot save. Faith works in our actions and our actions perfect our faith.

There's no dichotomy between faith and works - only between salvation and works of the law.
ramblin_ag02
AG
bigcat22 said:

Exactly, and we all fall short. We cannot be saved based on our works. And that doesn't mean works are bad by any means, just that they cannot save.

Right, but Jesus isn't our benchmark. He's our judge. So if you want to know if someone is good or not, only Jesus can say. We don't compare ourselves to his perfection. We are subject to his judgement
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
amercer
AG
I applaud F15 for turning this thread so quickly away from the OP and into a Protestant vs Catholic debate.
Spyderman
AG
Aggrad08 said:

Mormons are wonderful folks who's beliefs are only marginally more stupid than many other religions, especially folks that tend to take things literally. But you know what, they walk the walk better than any religious group I can think of.

Scientologists are scum and dupes, and leave the world worse than they found it.
The Mormons I know and have met are generally exceptional folk. Misguided perhaps...but we may all be.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
kurt vonnegut
AG
Hendrix said:

The world would be better off without these nut jobs. Prove me wrong. How screwed up do you have to be to buy into that bull*****

The world would be better off without people that share this sentiment.
Martin Q. Blank
Hendrix said:

Many people believe in heresy. We would be better off without heresy, but the people who believe in it need correction.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Yeah. There are lots of glass houses here. We don't get to have the Trinity and the Eucharist and then turn around and make fun of other religions not making sense.

As far as I'm concern, all religions teach incomprehensible, strange, or outright unbelievable things. Joseph Smith and his golden plates hardly scratch the surface. Mohammed dictated the words of God after being visited by an angel. Moses got his mission from a bush that wouldn't burn. What should matter is what people do with those beliefs? Do they become fantastic, charitable, loving people or self-righteous, bigoted and violent?

The history of early Mormonism is full of violence, racism, and pedophilia, so not a great start. Since then they seem to be among the most upstanding of citizens as well as caring and loving people. So if golden plates does the trick then maybe all our religions should put in some golden plates.
Ag_of_08
AG
You realize when non abrahamics look at Mormonism vs various catholic traditions vs modern protestants, they domt see the massive doctrinal divisions and differences many of you think you have with the other groups.
kurt vonnegut
AG
It's not that we don't see the differences. . . . It's just not apples and oranges. It's more like Jazz Apples and Honeycrisp apples.
Ag_of_08
AG
I'm not an abrahamic. It was more an observation from the outside than anything else.....

Christians( and the various subsets), the Muslim sects, and the Jewish sects, all look a whole lot more alike than their practitioners will ever realize.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Agreed / Sorry. My post was supposed to read more like an affirmation of yours, and not a rebuttal.
Dilettante
Apples are a bad comparison, since honeycrisp are the one good type of apple. All other apple types are inferior. Comparing jazz apples to honeycrisp apples is an apples to oranges comparison.
chimpanzee
Ag_of_08 said:

I'm not an abrahamic. It was more an observation from the outside than anything else.....

Christians( and the various subsets), the Muslim sects, and the Jewish sects, all look a whole lot more alike than their practitioners will ever realize.

This should be obvious, but it's not. Many have no exposure to any non-Abrahamic religion apart from a mural on the yoga studio wall that the owner thought looked cute. She's spiritual, not religious btw.

Mormonism and Islam have very similar origins, a charismatic leader taking more established Judeo-Christian teaching and spinning it to their personal benefit. You never know what will catch on where or where it will end up once it does.

Jewish people probably say the same about Christians, apart from the whole personal benefit thing, that took a few centuries before paying more temporal dividends.
94chem
Christianity is a works-based religion. The difference is whose works we're talking about.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.