What constitutes "real" persecution?

577 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ramblin_ag02
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've often thought that "real" persecution was limited to some sort of physical harm - beaten, displaced from their home, killed. But Jesus teaches a more broad understanding that includes ridicule.

Mat. 5:10 "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 "Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.

12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
diehard03
Legislating persecution is a human thing. Normally, however, there's context around trying to 'claim" persecution and what that means. I think your quoted verses hit on our attitudes as well.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I'm not sure I get ridicule from your posted verses. Sounds more like false accusations, which I would imagine carries legal consequences. Alternatively, there was slander early on that Christians were incestuous cannibals. That would be a big example of spreading lies.

I think a lot of us just roll out eyes when persecution is claimed because Macy's stopped Letters to Santa
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.