COVID - Where does your church stand now?

1,874 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Potcake
JoeAggie5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our Catholic parish followed CDC guidelines and even went steps further (locking doors once Mass started, standing outside restrooms to santize people hands after they just finished washing hands, etc.). We left that parish and found a new one in a small town (about an hour drive for us, from the 10 minutes we were used to).

Our old parish is just now lifting restrictions. Mask are encouraged, but aren't required and temperature check (previously mandatory) are no longer required. Mass in person still not required, they are kidding themselves if they think the same number of people will return when we return to "normal".

I feel like most Protestant churches are way ahead of the Catholic church here. What is everyone's churches doing?
TyHolden
AG
My Catholic church lets us do what we want. About 80% is mask-less.
JoeAggie5
yeah our new one in small down is basically 99% maskless, we love it. I think we'll continue to make the drive. I just feel our former parish went steps further to keep people away. Very sad about it, but happy with our new parish.
TyHolden
AG
JoeAggie5 said:

yeah our new one in small down is basically 99% maskless, we love it. I think we'll continue to make the drive. I just feel our former parish went steps further to keep people away. Very sad about it, but happy with our new parish.
i'm in a burb of a big city.
Bird Poo
AG
JoeAggie5 said:

Our Catholic parish followed CDC guidelines and even went steps further (locking doors once Mass started, standing outside restrooms to santize people hands after they just finished washing hands, etc.). We left that parish and found a new one in a small town (about an hour drive for us, from the 10 minutes we were used to).

Our old parish is just now lifting restrictions. Mask are encouraged, but aren't required and temperature check (previously mandatory) are no longer required. Mass in person still not required, they are kidding themselves if they think the same number of people will return when we return to "normal".

I feel like most Protestant churches are way ahead of the Catholic church here. What is everyone's churches doing?

Been going through the same frustrations at my parish. Fort Worth diocese. Our priest is from India and is very timid with zero leadership skills. So basically the church's business manger is running things and she is a super Karen. The diocese provided some Covid guidelines and the church is acting like those guidelines are church doctrine. It's ridiculous because if you go to another church in the same diocese, they have lifted many of the restrictions we are still having to deal with.
Frok
AG
My church (Protestant) has no restrictions. I would say you still see maybe 25-30% wear masks. Will probably be less today because it seems like masks are disappearing fast everywhere.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
100% normal now. Masks optional. Receiving communion on the tongue allowed again. Still no chalice though.
AgLiving06
My church has/had a side that allowed for social distancing/mask wearing (i.e. every other pew open).

Other side is wide open.

The maskless side is so full I've been meaning to ask the Pastor if he's going to shrink/remove the restriction side simply out of necessity to make more room.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
As of June 1st, in order to serve as any kind of minister at my church (Lector, usher, music, Eucharist, etc...) You must be completely vaccinated for Covid.
UTExan
Masks if not vaccinated. Social distance. Vaccinated no mask, still social distance.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
dermdoc
AG
Masks in common areas. No masks or social distancing while seated.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Cassius
Protestant here. We opened fully up last summer, no masks, and not one case of covid that I know of. Per the pastor, the giving last year was reduced by a whopping 2/10ths of 1 percent. Many churches got hammered as far as giving.
booboo91
Live in Houston area, our parish in West Houston was awesome, opened up way early and we added more masses. We were way ahead of our local protestant brothers churches. Our pastor wanted us gathering and receiving Jesus (Eucharist) can't do it watching TV. He also had no fear of Covid. So we were open and meeting.

It all depends on your pastor, another smaller great local Catholic church was shut down most of the time.

Catholic Churches are like Mexican restaurants, you know what you are going to get (similar type of food (Taco, Enchiladas, Chips) and us Catholics all pray the same way, but every church with their pastor has a unique style, flavor and vibe.

Houston- Galveston is 100% back to normal- Cardinal Dinardo issued announcement this week.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Austin Texas. No restrictions. Still no blood however.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

Which church? I may be looking for a new Parish home in a couple of weeks.
Solo Tetherball Champ
JoeAggie5 said:

We've been open at full capacity since May of 2020. The only difference between closing in March and the reopening is that they have hand sanitizer all over the church. One of the easy ways to recognize visitors is that they will be the ones wearing masks.

To date, we've had maybe 10 people (that I know of) test positive, no deaths, and only mild symptoms from those who showed any symptoms at all.

Our senior Pastor has stated to the congregation that he would go to prison before he suspends services again.

diehard03
Wide open, but no body/blood.
RAB91
Up until last weekend my parish (in the Galveston-Houston diocese) was still doing temperature checks and requesting people to register for masses. With the bishop's new directive last week, yesterday was almost normal (but I was at a neighboring parish). Only about 20-25% were wearing masks, more people sang, and additional lines were used for communion. I'm hoping that my parish is just as normal when I head back next week....
Howdy Dammit
AG
Dad-O-Lot said:

Howdy Dammit said:

Which church? I may be looking for a new Parish home in a couple of weeks.

Austin Suburbs would have been a more accurate description. We are out in lago now. But our old parish was St. John Neumann on bee cave rd. Mask was optional there too when we left.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
I know several Parishioners who left our Parish to go to St. John Neumann specifically because of the response of our Pastor to the pandemic.
Howdy Dammit
AG
We enjoyed it. It's a beautiful church. I will say that we we're definitely the minority as far as non maskers. But no one ever said a thing.
Hey...so.. um
No masks required since Abbott lift the ban. 95% no masks currently. We have a "mask section"
JoeAggie5
Yeah our old parish is following Cardinal's letter, but again going further. Altar Servers (children FYI) must wear masks still. You are "highly encouraged" to wear masks, continue to use hand sanitizer, and do temperature check. Nothing required, except altar servers. Can receive on tongue but no precious blood.

We won't be returning, we'll continue to go to small church with zero restrictions.
Potcake
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

Not true about no restrictions. Masks still required.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.