Book of Enoch?

1,544 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Sb1540
Spyderman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thoughts on this?
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
codker92
AG
It's a second temple book regarded as canonical by some ancient sects of Jews and the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. The OT and NT writers borrow ideas and allude to the book many times. I think Christians should read the book for that reason.
Zobel
AG
You're not a Christian. why should any Christian consider your opinion relevant?
codker92
AG
Like I said. The Christian writers allude to it and they were heavily influenced by it.

I don't think Christian means anything. My Righteousness is the Righteousness of God.
Zobel
AG
You openly repudiate and reject Christianity. Why should any Christian listen to you on what we should read as scripture?
codker92
AG
My Righteousness is the Righteousness of God.
Zobel
AG
Christ Jesus is the Lord Our Righteousness.
codker92
AG
If you knew anything about scripture you would know Christ is the Righteousness of God. *sigh*

Perhaps think before you speak.
chimpanzee
I think there's something in the water.

Can y'all run the pipes until it comes out clear?
Win At Life
AG
Spyderman said:

Thoughts on this?

Enoch was written by aliens.
ramblin_ag02
AG
It's a Second Temple book written heavily influenced by the recent domination of the Jews and Holy Land first by the Babylonians, then the Persians, and then the Greeks. The Bible talks much about the reasons Judah was conquered by the Babylonians, and David goes into some detail about the following empires up to the fracturing of Alexander's empire. However, even when the Jews are returned to the Holy Land, they weren't independent for a very long time. Even when they were, they weren't a major player on the world stage. They were a small, relatively weak kingdom. From the time of the Maccabbean revolt until the time of Pompei, they were really just more trouble than they were worth. So the big empires left them alone. This left the Jews with something of an identity crisis. After all, they worshipped the greatest God. So why were these pagans more powerful than them? A Greek person would probably claim the superiority of the Greek culture and religion as the reason for this, and that is clearly not acceptable to a Second Temple Jew.

Enter the book of Enoch. In the Babylonian religion, technology like fire, agriculture, pottery, stoneworking, metalworking and the like were given to humans directly from their gods. This technological advantage made Babylon a metropolitan capital of learning for millenia and made Babylonian empires (or other empires that conquered Babylon) world superpowers. So in Enoch we see the same story of heavenly beings giving technology to humans, only these beings are fallen angels who are evil and in opposition to God. It's the same story with a twist to let the Jews save some pride. After all, the Babylonians conquered us with technology gotten from fallen angels, but Jews still worshipped the one Most High God.

Now the Greeks come into the picture. Alexander's Macedonians take down the Persian Empire like it's made of paper. Not only is their military strength unmatched, but also they have philosophy, mathematics, the arts and advanced systems of government. Talk about a good reason for Jews to feel inferior. One of the lynchpins of Greek identity was the idea of heroes born of gods. Hercules, Perseus, Achilles and many more heroes and exemplary people were said to be demigods. In the Illiad we see that many of the greatest warriors all claimed some divine ancestry, whether immediate or distant. So the Book of Enoch accounts for this as well. These Greek demigods are the offspring of the fallen angels already mentioned mating with human women. So while these people were strong, they were abominations.

Overall, the Book of Enoch is Second Temple Judaism trying to retain a religious and moral high ground against the religious beliefs of the outstandingly successful Greeks and Babylonians. So in Enoch the Jews are less advanced techonologically, less strong physically, and less advanced culturally, but they are still the good guys.

Enoch is also one of the early example of apocalyptic literature. In this genre the people of God are rescued and exalted after God uses His power to destroy the nations of the earth. This follows the pattern of keeping the Jews as the good guys, the powerful nations as evil, and adds an worldwide accounting where the Jews will be powerful and exalted again as a reward for their faithfulness. Most apocalyptic literature is written in symbolic codes, probably because the mighty empires wouldn't appreciate circulating prophecies that called from them to be overthrown and destroyed.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
swimmerbabe11
Enoch.

Who's there?
Star Wars Memes Only
swimmerbabe11 said:

Enoch.

Who's there?

I'm not actually sure why I opened this thread. I certainly didn't read the OP or click on the link.

However, what you are looking for is "knock knock".

This is mistake is egregious and offensive.
swimmerbabe11
Why are YOU so mean
jkag89
Win At Life said:

Spyderman said:

Thoughts on this?

Which the Catholic Church keeps frozen in carbonite in the Vatican basement.
PacifistAg
AG
dargscisyhp said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Enoch.

Who's there?

I'm not actually sure why I opened this thread. I certainly didn't read the OP or click on the link.

However, what you are looking for is "knock knock".

This is mistake is egregious and offensive.

I lol'ed.
Spyderman
AG
Win At Life said:

Spyderman said:

Thoughts on this?

Certainly might have had some influence..no doubt. Like many subjects. IMO
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Spyderman
AG
jkag89 said:

Win At Life said:

Spyderman said:

Thoughts on this?

Nah...

Its the other stuff.

The greater good?
UTExan
Spyderman said:

jkag89 said:

Win At Life said:

Spyderman said:

Thoughts on this?

Nah...

Its the other stuff.

Note how we modern Christians don't talk much about the Watchers or Jesus' statement in Matthew 24 about the days of Noah.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
one MEEN Ag
AG
Man we got errbody in this thread.

Quick Agdad, say something mean about dermdoc! Get the whole cast of characters in here.

As a Vonnegut bat signal, I thought Slaughterhouse Five was overrated.
PacifistAg
AG
Spyderman said:

Win At Life said:

Spyderman said:

Thoughts on this?

Certainly might have had some influence..no doubt. Like many subjects. IMO
Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say this is an absurd claim to say that there's "no doubt" that aliens may have had an influence on the Book of Enoch. Come on.
jkag89
Spyderman said:

jkag89 said:

Win At Life said:

Spyderman said:

Thoughts on this?

Nah...

Its the other stuff.
Aggrad08
AG
Win At Life said:

Spyderman said:

Thoughts on this?

The Mexican kind right?
Sb1540
Lord of Spirits podcast. You're welcome.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.