Desire

862 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
fat girlfriend
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Imagine, for one week, having to do everything you desire to do. What good things in your life would be damaged or destroyed by the end of the week? What relationships would be left intact?

It'd be cool to be able to honestly say, "my week went on exactly as normal," but most of us can't say that. Most of us desire things we know would be harmful for ourselves or others, so we choose not to act on some of our desires.

If we allow our desire to be our lord. our master, then our lives won't go well, because our desires are unmerciful and fickle. Some of out desires are never sated and care nothing about the long term good of anyone or anything, and others of our desires shift over time. Very few, if any, of our desires are stable across our whole life. And yet many of us allow desire to dictate who we can be in community with, what our politics should be, ever who we are, the very nature of our essential self-identity. When allow desire to dictate our lives in that way, it's impossible to find stable flourishing over time, to find joy and love and wholeness.

Our desires are not are rightful masters, but neither are they our servants. We cannot in a single act of the will shape our desires as we see fit. They do not obey us.

Our desires are our gardens. Our desire is a bonsai tree, to be shaped, though never fully controlled, by our careful pruning, intelligent forethought, and the flexible strength of our will. They respond to our thoughts, to our habits, even to our willful correction, not as a slave responds to a master, but as a tree responds to dirt and light and water, and to the pruners careful cultivation. No one can have the abundant life of Jesus Christ without the cultivation of their desires.
schmendeler
AG
i desire a nap right now.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

It'd be cool to be able to honestly say, "my week went on exactly as normal," but most of us can't say that.
I mean, honestly the only change to my week would be I wouldn't be going to work anymore, I'd be out of debt, and my wife, kids, and I would start a commune w/ friends in Canada with kickass wifi.
UTExan
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

It'd be cool to be able to honestly say, "my week went on exactly as normal," but most of us can't say that.
I mean, honestly the only change to my week would be I wouldn't be going to work anymore, I'd be out of debt, and my wife, kids, and I would start a commune w/ friends in Canada with kickass wifi.

Retro back 50 years to a cold weather commune:

https://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-and-environment/why-our-commune-crumbled-zmaz70mjzkin

" Because we lived a life peeled down to the good necessities; because we lived without the shelter of all these institutions that protect and separate people from each other; the high times were really high ... and the bad times pretty ugly. Eyes stopped meeting, hands stopped reaching and we became strangers living in the same house."
" Partly from necessity, partly because we didn't appreciate our own needs for separateness (what some people call privacy, but that word always reminded me of bathrooms), we attempted to live too closely. "

Utopian communities tend to fall apart. In their desire to be different they become exclusionary. Kind of like apartheid.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
swimmerbabe11
I mean, is this like a genie in a lamp situation? I desire to spend time with my deceased grandmother and have her talk to my mother. I desire time travel so I can change some things in the past. Do we get to have wishes or are we just living without regards of the needs/desires of other people in this scenario?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.