Love is Love

1,874 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by diehard03
Seamaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://disrn.com/news/parent-sues-new-york-for-the-right-to-marry-their-adult-child?fbclid=IwAR2OLy5vux5q3zNKkAgivAoIuJ0I11hXpA7w9ZG-_BZ_V-r-I-zsR19OAlA
Star Wars Memes Only
Baby don't hurt me
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

The lawsuit creates the acronym PAACNP, which stands for "Parent and Adult Child Non-Procreationable," to refer to the proposed parent/child union where the parties are incapable of having children. Because of that reality, the litigant suggests the state has no compelling interest in preventing the marriage.
Their compelling interest is to enshrine the family as the highest and most basic unit of society - mother, father, child. Marriage should be between one man and one woman. Divorce should be difficult and the last resort. You shouldn't get pregnant until you are married.

All things being equal, marriage is the most natural way to ensure social and economic flourishing. Yes, the state has a compelling interest to prevent this marriage.
Quad Dog
AG
Since you made no comment on the article and based on the title of the thread, I'm going to assume you are all for it.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

The lawsuit creates the acronym PAACNP, which stands for "Parent and Adult Child Non-Procreationable," to refer to the proposed parent/child union where the parties are incapable of having children. Because of that reality, the litigant suggests the state has no compelling interest in preventing the marriage.
Their compelling interest is to enshrine the family as the highest and most basic unit of society - mother, father, child. Marriage should be between one man and one woman. Divorce should be difficult and the last resort. You shouldn't get pregnant until you are married.

All things being equal, marriage is the most natural way to ensure social and economic flourishing. Yes, the state has a compelling interest to prevent this marriage.

How does the state's responsibility to ensure individual freedoms compare to its interest in 'social and economic flourishing'?

PacifistAg
AG
Oh yay!
Seamaster
AG
Remember how back during the great marriage debates of a few years ago several us said that without a limiting principle, the broadening of the definition of marriage would completely devolve into being essentially meaningless? We said there's be polygamy and incest and people "marrying" their pets and lampshades?

"Slippery slope!" We were told.

Yet here we are....

Beer Baron
AG
Seamaster said:

Remember how back during the great marriage debates of a few years ago several us said that without a limiting principle, the broadening of the definition of marriage would completely devolve into being essentially meaningless? We said there's be polygamy and incest and people "marrying" their pets and lampshades?

Yet here we are....

No, you were the one constantly screaming "slippery slope" and people responded with "who cares?" and "so what?" Does this article make your marriage seem meaningless? Because mine's still pretty good.
GaddafiHalp
Love is not Love, God is Love and love means to will the ultimate best for another regardless of yourself. Someone marrying their child is not that.
craigernaught
AG
I read this article and immediately filed for divorce.
PacifistAg
AG
Beer Baron said:

Seamaster said:

Yet here we are....

No, you were the one constantly screaming "slippery slope" and people responded with "who cares?" and "so what?" Does this article make your marriage seem meaningless? Because mine's still pretty good.
Yep. For some reason, people insist on the state and church having identical definitions of marriage. Heck, the state could abolish state-sanctioned marriage, and simply turn everything into a civil union, and it would have no bearing on how the church defines marriage.
PacifistAg
AG
Interesting to note, the legal papers fail to identify their gender, ages, or hometown, and was filed on APRIL 1.
GaddafiHalp
PacifistAg said:

Beer Baron said:

Seamaster said:

Yet here we are....

Yep. For some reason, people insist on the state and church having identical definitions of marriage. Heck, the state could abolish state-sanctioned marriage, and simply turn everything into a civil union, and it would have no bearing on how the church defines marriage.
The end of the state should be to become the Church
-The Brothers Karamazov
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

I agree with you, but based on the trajectory of how "the state" has been treating marriage over the last 50 years, there is a good argument that "the state" has abdicated any interest they ever had in protecting marriage for the good of society.

PacifistAg
AG
The American state has never treated marriage well. Whether it was breaking up families via the slave trade, or the oppressive and abusive marriages many women weren't allowed to escape from and where men were rarely held accountable for said abuse, the mistreatment of marriage has long been an issue.
Post removed:
by user
swimmerbabe11
dargscisyhp said:

Baby don't hurt me

I'm not actually sure why I opened this thread. I certainly didn't read the OP or click on the link.

However, what you are looking for is "What is Love"

This is mistake is egregious and offensive.
Star Wars Memes Only
It has the same number of syllables to keep the rhythmic structure intact and is sufficiently assonant that I argue it be allowed.

Debate me.
kurt vonnegut
AG
I still want to know how does the state's responsibility to ensure individual freedoms compare to its interest in 'social and economic flourishing'?
PacifistAg
AG
I singled out America because the context of the discussion was government in America, and I'm not familiar with other nations, so I wanted to avoid making some overreaching comment. I didn't mean anything in particular outside of that.
diehard03
Quote:

I'm not actually sure why I opened this thread. I certainly didn't read the OP or click on the link.

However, what you are looking for is "What is Love"

This is mistake is egregious and offensive.

Sometimes, one sacrifices precision for timing...and in this sort of situation, it's a trade-off that works. Everyone wants a good joke here, as these threads are tiresome if taken seriously. Darg delivered, and made the necessary choice to maximize impact.

it's a comedy thing. Maybe you just don't get it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.