The Gospel in Genesis 5. (if read in original Hebrew language)

1,948 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by codker92
codker92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A lot of times in bible study, people focus on doctrine, systematic theology, and applications/morals. This is all well and good, but often times I think that people miss out on the stuff in the Bible, particularly the OT that is really good. Some of this is due to the fact that the OT is very complex and nuanced, reading the OT is hard, the bible is not in its original language, and there are not many OT teachers. Genealogies in particular are commonly overlooked as dry and boring. But the genealogy of genesis 5 in Hebrew contains the gospel. I think this is good evidence that people in the OT did believe in the gospel, and a good reason for Christians to read the OT, which should rightly be called THE TESTAMENT.

The names are:

(1) Adam (name means man or mankind)
(2) Seth (name means appointed) "For God hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew
(3) Enosh (name means mortal, frail, or miserable) Comes from the root anash, referring to a wound or sickness.
(4) Kenan (means sorow, dirge, or elegy) Some translations list this as Cainan.
(5) Mahalalel (name means Blessed God). The name comes from Mahalal which means blessed or praised, when el is added, it means Blessed God)
(6) Jared (means shall come down)
(7) Enoch (means teaching or commencing)
(8) Methuselah (means his death shall bring).
(9) Lamech (means those who lament or the lamenting)
(10) Noah (means to bring relief or comfort) Genesis 5:29

• Adam (Man)
  • Seth (Appointed)
  • Enosh (Mortal)
  • Kenan (Sorrow)
  • Mahalalel (The Blessed God)
  • Jared (Shall come down)
  • Enoch (Teaching)
  • Methuselah (His death shall bring)
  • Noah (Rest, or comfort)

Man Appointed Mortal Sorrow; The Blessed God Shall Come Down Teaching His death shall bring The Despairing Rest, or comfort.

https://www.khouse.org/articles/1996/44
94chem
Beautiful
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
ramblin_ag02
AG
That's awesome. I feel a little embarassed that I've never heard of it, honestly. Seems like the sort of thing that we should be hearing in Sunday School as kids
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Win At Life
AG
May have heard that before. If so, been so long ago I don't remember. But asking for permission to use this.
codker92
AG
I didn't come up with it. It's on the link. The Bible is open source though so unless you are trying to profit off it I don't think you will have any problems.
codker92
AG
Bump
Catag94
AG
Very cool and thanks for sharing. I too missed this. I've been building a family tree from Adam coward and yet I admittedly glazed over the connection of the name meanings.

Thanks again.
codker92
AG
Catag94 said:

Very cool and thanks for sharing. I too missed this. I've been building a family tree from Adam coward and yet I admittedly glazed over the connection of the name meanings.

Thanks again.

No problem.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.