What causes religious confusion?

7,545 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dr. Mephisto
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Based off the fact that the scriptures tell us God will judge those outside, that He judges the heart and intent of people, and that He judges based off what people have done with what they've been given, and that He is merciful and just and loves mankind.

Its not to say there are other paths or other gods - there is one Way. But we know where He is, not where He isn't.
diehard03
it seems like we are getting out of our lane by even considering the case of non-believer who we feel should be justified before God.

I think Zobel has it right - we believe that God is good and loves Mankind. That should be sufficient for us,.
craigernaught
AG
"What causes religious confusion?"

R&P

It's fun though!
ramblin_ag02
AG
diehard03 said:

it seems like we are getting out of our lane by even considering the case of non-believer who we feel should be justified before God.

I think Zobel has it right - we believe that God is good and loves Mankind. That should be sufficient for us,.
I don't have lanes. I don't even have roads.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
one MEEN Ag
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I actually think that's one of the bigger flaws in the modern churches. What you believe becomes less important as having butts in the seats. What the Church believes, or at least what they put on their website, is usually so generic that it seems anyone could go there. It's really going to be in the details though, where we find out what the church is really about.

eh, the modern church is a reaction (and probably an overreaction) to something and I think this is a good example of a self-inflicted wound. The "what the church believes" part is intentionally vague because they have a heart for the person who feels they are so far gone from God that they won't ever consider coming to a church. The churches that are literally all about butts in seats are few and far between.

I am all for finding a pastor (and a church) that progresses you in your faith and seeks to grow/challenge you...but I also think that we come in with this laundry list of things that a church must do to have you and anything less is "watered down". We do this, all the while being unwilling to step into the ministry arena and be the thing that we demand others provide for us.

I think this attitude is a bigger flaw in the modern church. (I am not accusing you of doing that. I am use "we" corporately)
I completely agree. Modern life has created a cultural distinction where you 'do life' 6 days a week and 'do church' sunday mornings and wednesday evenings. Its easy to look at your church as an investment that needs to provide more services, instead of stepping up and volunteering. This distinction wasn't nearly as drastic during Jesus's time and further back.

For example, our church is currently lacking any men's only programming or vision. Its a lament thats being shared during bible studies, and the common response is to ask the church to throw something together instead of volunteer to lead an initiative to do it ourselves. There's a whole other political ball of wax to being the leader of such a movement though. Most men who see the problem, and see the political hurdles and just sink back into their daily routine and don't bother.

If anyone wants to start another thread about leading programming at a church, I'd be all ears.
diehard03
Quote:

If anyone wants to start another thread about leading programming at a church, I'd be all ears.

Start the thread and layout your concerns/situations. I have some comments for you.
dermdoc
AG
Micah 6:8
What does the Lord require of you?

To act justly, and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
dermdoc said:

Zobel said:

We can be kinder. It may not be that he enjoys being exclusive. Cognitive dissonance is hard. There is evidence in front of him that he can't reconcile with preexisting beliefs, which he was probably taught as a kid and took as fact without scrutiny.

There's no excuse for his tone and attitude, but at least it is understandable.

Agree and I apologize for any unkindness. And will go back to worrying about Aggie baseball.

Sadly, you have A LOT to worry about there . . .

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.