What causes religious confusion?

7,533 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dr. Mephisto
aggiedad20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here's a great study for those who are interested in learning more about divisions. Christ is not divided.

https://www.gospelway.com/bible/religious_confusion.php
powerbelly
AG
That website is like jumping in a time machine.
swimmerbabe11
I too, made a website in junior high.
PacifistAg
AG
aggiedad20 said:

Here's a great study for those who are interested in learning more about divisions. Christ is not divided.

So what you're saying is that we should all join the Orthodox Church, as they can trace their history back to the Apostles as opposed to the Restoration Movement in America?
swimmerbabe11
I think it is crazy that people thing that just because you are a member of a church denomination, you believe that God is happy or okay with church division.

I don't think that. I think it is heartbreaking. I think it is absolutely insane that Christendom can't even come together and decide on a date to celebrate Easter together. I wish everyone was a member of my church (and so does Christ ) However, what control do I have over that? I can't change what the rest of the world believes or force them to join mine. I also can't worship with them in good faith, knowing that I have huge differences in fundamental Christian beliefs, like baptism, communion, sin, predestination, etc.
dermdoc
AG
aggiedad20 said:

Can you ever post or even read a non Church of Christ website? And honestly debate? Instead of just stating things?

And forgive me if I am wrong, but I believe you think religious confusion is due to all non Church of Christ churches. And nothing to do with the Church of Christ.

In other words, your interpretation is the only correct one. Which is confusing to me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

I also can't worship with them in good faith, knowing that I have huge differences in fundamental Christian beliefs, like baptism, communion, sin, predestination, etc.

What do you mean by worship? Can you not pray with them, give charity with them, perform acts of service with them? Can you not hug them, counsel them, and eat with them? Are we just talking about the Eucharist/Communion? I can't think of a single Christian group that I wouldn't want to worship with.
swimmerbabe11
I wouldn't regularly attend worship services/Bible Studies with a church whose beliefs I dont endorse. I'm certainly not going to take communion or have my hypothetical child baptized there.

obviously I can hug baptists. ill drink with them too if they'll drink with me.
Pro Sandy
AG
Many churches I would not worship in on a regular basis, but I would for worship with them.

I have worshiped in United Methodist, Associated Reformed Presbyterian, Presbyterian Church of America, Southern Baptist, Northern California Baptist, Lutheran, church of Christ, Non-Denominational, Calvary Chapel, Episcopal, Anglican, Roman Catholic, and probably many others. I'm pretty sure God was glorified in our worship. Except the Methodists.

I do consider all these groups Christian and though I might not regularly worship with them, I have before and would again if certain occasions arise.

Though we may be separated by denomination, we are still united in Christ and should not let the church of Christ try to divide us even more with their "them verses everyone else" mentality.
dermdoc
AG
Pro Sandy said:

Many churches I would not worship in on a regular basis, but I would for worship with them.

I have worshiped in United Methodist, Associated Reformed Presbyterian, Presbyterian Church of America, Southern Baptist, Northern California Baptist, Lutheran, church of Christ, Non-Denominational, Calvary Chapel, Episcopal, Anglican, Roman Catholic, and probably many others. I'm pretty sure God was glorified in our worship. Except the Methodists.

I do consider all these groups Christian and though I might not regularly worship with them, I have before and would again if certain occasions arise.

Though we may be separated by denomination, we are still united in Christ and should not let the church of Christ try to divide us even more with their "them verses everyone else" mentality.
Post removed:
by user
swimmerbabe11
I pray with other Christians regularly. I hug and counsel and whatnot.. all of those things you mentioned. I've visited other churches and I partake in whatever I am able to in good faith. I do believe in the "invisible church" so the walls and signs out front aren't as important as confessing the trinity, faith in Christ, etc.
dermdoc
AG
Maybe how your denomination interprets Romans 10:13?
88Warrior
Pro Sandy said:

I like that! Amen brother!
AgLiving06
swimmerbabe11 said:

I wouldn't regularly attend worship services/Bible Studies with a church whose beliefs I dont endorse. I'm certainly not going to take communion or have my hypothetical child baptized there.

The more interesting thing to me is that this shouldn't be controversial.

This is the norm in any christian group (thinking Orthodox, Catholicism, Lutheranism) that hold communion is not symbolic, but the real presence. It's why these groups practice "closed communion."
Pro Sandy
AG
Despite my usual take on the Methodists, I think their teaching is clearest on this.

Like Presbyterians, they too believe in the real presence, not physically, but spiritually. It is not a symbol as the Baptists would say, but spiritually the blood and body of Christ. That is a holy mystery.

But who can come? As is recited in the Great Thanksgiving, "Christ our Lord invites to his table all who love him,
who earnestly repent of their sin and seek to live in peace with one another." It is an open table in that it is not the United Methodists' table, but Jesus', thus the Methodists would not refuse anyone who comes confessing. The Presbyterians, less in practice than I have ever witnessed, believe the Elders are responsible for protecting the flock from partaking wrongfully and could refuse to serve someone.
ramblin_ag02
AG
AgLiving06 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

The more interesting thing to me is that this shouldn't be controversial.

This is the norm in any christian group (thinking Orthodox, Catholicism, Lutheranism) that hold communion is not symbolic, but the real presence. It's why these groups practice "closed communion."

That's why I was asking about the meaning of the word "worship". All of those groups have open services but closed communions. I think the entire service up to the point of communion counts as worship, as do a large numbers of activities in people's daily lives. I was trying to figure out where that line was: closed communion, closed worship services, or not interacting with those outside their church or denomination
swimmerbabe11
I started the prayer request thread, so I will at very least accept your prayers.. gotta think I'm willing to pray with you irl too.

The question about hugging was really what got me as silliness.
Win At Life
AG
Hasatan causes confusion and Yeshua did not come to bring peace to the earth. That is the stated order of the earth until Yeshua returns and sets things right.
ramblin_ag02
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I started the prayer request thread, so I will at very least accept your prayers.. gotta think I'm willing to pray with you irl too.

I've mostly attended evangelical churches, and the hugging is copious and apparently integral to the worship service
dermdoc
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

I've mostly attended evangelical churches, and the hugging is copious and apparently integral to the worship service
Guilty as charged.
aggiedad20
dermdoc said:

Here's another lesson for you Doc.

https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/934-acts-2-21-calling-on-the-lords-name

HTH

aggiedad20
PacifistAg said:

aggiedad20 said:

So what you're saying is that we should all join the Orthodox Church, as they can trace their history back to the Apostles as opposed to the Restoration Movement in America?

God thought so much of the Orthodox Church that He never mentioned it in the inspired scriptures, huh?!

But carry on...
ramblin_ag02
AG
aggiedad20 said:

dermdoc said:

https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/934-acts-2-21-calling-on-the-lords-name

HTH

This article exhibits all the worst qualities of CoC "theologians". It shows blissful ignorance of 1000 years of Scripture and tradition relating to "calling on the Name of God" that predates the New Testament. It takes 2-3 verses of the New Testament without much or any context. Then it ignores 1800 years of Christian thought on the topic before giving half a page on the subject that I'm sure the author considers definitive.

The idea of "calling on the Name of God" is a fascinating and edifying topic that is done absolutely no justice in this link.
dermdoc
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

aggiedad20 said:

dermdoc said:

HTH

This article exhibits all the worst qualities of CoC "theologians". It shows blissful ignorance of 1000 years of Scripture and tradition relating to "calling on the Name of God" that predates the New Testament. It takes 2-3 verses of the New Testament without much or any context. Then it ignores 1800 years of Christian thought on the topic before giving half a page on the subject that I'm sure the author considers definitive.

The idea of "calling on the Name of God" is a fascinating and edifying topic that is done absolutely no justice in this link.
aggiedad20
ramblin_ag02 said:

aggiedad20 said:

dermdoc said:

HTH

The good doctor cherry picked a verse, blue stars your opinionated post so I responded with a short article that addresses the topic of calling on the Lord's name using other scriptures where we find it and that gets me chastised? Lol. Ok

Christian thought and traditions can be both good and bad. I try to keep it biblical. If you have a scriptural rebuttal, I'm all ears but if you just like shouting from the cheap seats I'm sure everyone here will be on your team.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Start another thread. It's a great topic
BrazosBendHorn
AgLiving06 said:

Depends on the Lutheran sect:

ELCA - open communion
LC Missouri Synod - closed communion
LC Wisconsin Synod - closed communion
dermdoc
AG
And have you ever considered how arrogant it sounds when you proclaim we are "in error"? We interpret Scripture differently than the CofC does in some instances. Does not mean anyone is in error, just honest different opinions.
dermdoc
AG
aggiedad20 said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

aggiedad20 said:

dermdoc said:

HTH

The good doctor cherry picked a verse, blue stars your opinionated post so I responded with a short article that addresses the topic of calling on the Lord's name using other scriptures where we find it and that gets me chastised? Lol. Ok

Christian thought and traditions can be both good and bad. I try to keep it biblical. If you have a scriptural rebuttal, I'm all ears but if you just like shouting from the cheap seats I'm sure everyone here will be on your team.

That is literally the most convulted interpretation of Romans 10:13 I have ever read.

In fact, I believe the CofC is the only source of that particular interpretation.

And it is a great topic.
dermdoc
AG
And someone who keeps posting the "churches of Christ salute you" accuses me of cherry picking Scripture?

Wow
BrazosBendHorn
dermdoc said:

And have you ever considered how arrogant it sounds when you proclaim we are "in error"? We interpret Scripture differently than the CofC does in some instances. Does not mean anyone is in error, just honest different opinions.
You can't all be right.
But you can all be wrong.
swimmerbabe11
ELCA is practically synonymous with Unitarianism these days.
swimmerbabe11
aggiedad20 said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

aggiedad20 said:

dermdoc said:

HTH

In this context, what are the expensive seats?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.