SIAP: Beth Moore Leaves Southern Baptists

5,509 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PacifistAg
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.charismanews.com/culture/84681-beth-moore-ends-relationship-with-southern-baptists-drops-lifeway-as-publisher

She cited the denomination not being in touch with admission and correction of past sexual abuse as one reason. Such ruptures generally are a long time coming if one has been raised and comforted in a specific faith tradition. I suspect we will hear more.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
PacifistAg
AG
Good for her
redcrayon
AG
Beth Moore has some very unbiblical teachings. I hope she looks inward during this time of reflection.
UTExan
redcrayon said:

Beth Moore has some very unbiblical teachings. I hope she looks inward during this time of reflection.

Just curious. I don't really follow her: what is the most common critique of her theology or teaching? I know she was critical of the political content of Baptist dialogue.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
dermdoc
AG
UTExan said:

redcrayon said:

Just curious. I don't really follow her: what is the most common critique of her theology or teaching? I know she was critical of the political content of Baptist dialogue.

Basically she is a female Bible teacher and allows Catholics in her study groups.

Both big no nos for the Calvinists and old school Baptists.

I think the fact she is a female teaching the Bible is the biggest criticism.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
Which is odd. She's not a pastor, and even Paul talks about "Priscilla and Aquila" taking Apollos aside and "explained the way of God more accurately", so there appears to be evidence of a woman teaching, even in an individualized situation. I also read that the term used for "explain" is a 3rd person plural which would indicate both Priscilla and Aquila were involved in the teaching.
Martin Q. Blank
Where did she go? She seems to be the type to start her own denomination.
redcrayon
AG
dermdoc said:

UTExan said:

redcrayon said:

Basically she is a female Bible teacher and allows Catholics in her study groups.

I'm neither a Calvinist nor a Baptist. I am a woman a who has done a couple of her studies, the second of which I quit after two lessons.

You'd have to really listen to her teaching. First, she takes scripture out of context and completely twists it into these bizarre allegories that have nothing to do with the original meaning. It's so uncomfortable to listen to if you know anything about the scripture in question.

She also presents these weird revelations from God and passes them along in her talks. It's like she believes she's a prophet or something. And they are not scriptural. Listening to that specifically is what made me leave her study and convicted me that she wasn't a teacher I should be following. Our church discontinued using her books/videos after that because many women were uncomfortable with her practices.

To each there own. I'd rather study scripture than BM books anyway.

ETA: Women can certainly teach the Bible to other women but they aren't to teach or lead men at church. And yes, BM has done that many times so it is a valid criticism of her but not my primary issue.
dermdoc
AG
Thanks. That makes sense.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
And the reason for my post was that google led me to CARM which is a Calvinist website and stated what I posted.
Potcake
AG
Quote:

Wow, that is garment rending worthy there, isn't it?
dermdoc
AG
Potcake said:

Quote:

Wow, that is garment rending worthy there, isn't it?
Not for me. But I understand it is for some and they are still my brothers and sisters in Christ.
diehard03
My perception of her has always been that churches loved her when they wanted to do some women's programming but didn't really want to put effort into it...so they throw a study over all the wall and she rose the prominence as this happened. The women in those studies gushed over it, and all the men high fived themselves for creating something.

As her influence rose and she started speaking into a lot of issues, then they started looking into the studies themselves and went "uh oh".

I don't think any of that her fault. I think she's right to voice her opinion. But I think the men only have themselves to blame for her rise in influence if they don't like her speaking up.
UTExan
As I read more about her, it seems the misapplication of scripture plays strongly. I get that that many people think a woman teaching is wrong, but it has been a feature of charismatic and pentecostal Christianity, despite the innate conservatism of those strains. My church (Assembly of God) used one of her books for a study but Covid hit and I have heard no feedback on how the study went.
Zobel
AG
Yeah, can't trust women to have good understanding of the scripture and recognize bad teaching.
DrZ
AG
I think she has had a mental breakdown.
This past year the situation with her "son" has put quite a toil on her life.
Her daughter Melissa is living way outside of a Christian life. She feels the need to defend it.
Her hatred of Trump has overwhelmed her. But really her anger is about other things.
The Moore's are extremely wealthy people thus allowing the ability to walk away from her ministry. Rather than do that she feel the need to slam her former life.
PacifistAg
AG
Speaking against Trump, especially the way idolatry of him has infected the church, does not constitute hatred.

And what's her daughter doing that's "way outside the Christian life"? Genuinely curious. I'm not a Baptist or Southern Baptist, so I don't follow the Moores
UTExan
I wondered about the possibility of a health issue or crisis as well. She is middle aged, so the weight of family and professional responsibilities have to weigh heavily on her. And I understand that at a younger age, she may have experienced sexual abuse as well. Those who experience such abuse will always try to resolve the trauma and fixing animus on a specific person or group representative of the abuser is a common method. I believe psychologists might see this as projection in collecting grievances as a defense mechanism.
DrZ
AG
She clearly hates Trump and anyone who voted for him. I have never seen this Trump worship she and you speak of. I saw a lot of that when Obama got elected. The Black Messiah and such. I know people like him and his policies. Idolizing? No.

As far as her daughter goes I should not have said anything there. There are plenty of people who have no issues with her.
PacifistAg
AG
Yes, there is partisan idolatry on both sides. Politics breeds it. Heck, look at the disgusting things said on the Politics board thread on this about a sister-in-Christ because she speaks against Trump. It reeks of idolatry. Not to mention the golden statue his worshipers wheeled into CPAC. But 'm not sure what she's said that indicates hatred of Trump. Everything I've seen seems to condemn his behavior and pray for repentance.
Martin Q. Blank
PacifistAg said:

Yes, there is partisan idolatry on both sides. Politics breeds it. Heck, look at the disgusting things said on the Politics board thread on this about a sister-in-Christ because she speaks against Trump. It reeks of idolatry. Not to mention the golden statue his worshipers wheeled into CPAC. But 'm not sure what she's said that indicates hatred of Trump. Everything I've seen seems to condemn his behavior and pray for repentance.
If you disagree with a person's behavior these days, it's seen as hatred. Especially with LGBT people.
Barnyard96
AG
dermdoc said:

UTExan said:

redcrayon said:

Lots of women teaching the Bible in the large Baptist Church that I attend. I think Beth Moore was even a guest speaker at one of the women's events a couple years ago.

Can't ever remember a time Catholics weren't allowed at Bible Study. I would guess more have left the Catholic Church for the Baptist Church than the other way around.
dermdoc
AG
Agree. But go read what CARM, John MacArthur, John Piper, and the Gospel Coalition have to say about that.
Barnyard96
AG
dermdoc said:

Agree. But go read what CARM, John MacArthur, John Piper, and the Gospel Coalition have to say about that.
Can't all be winners. Some people say Sully was a racist. Just ask the History department.

Doesn't make it so.
PabloSerna
AG
barnyard1996 said:

dermdoc said:

Can't all be winners. Some people say Sully was a racist. Just ask the History department.

Doesn't make it so.

Emphasis mine.

ETA: To be fair - I am operating under a more current definition of the word.
Barnyard96
AG
PabloSerna said:

barnyard1996 said:

dermdoc said:

Doesn't make it so.

Emphasis mine.

ETA: To be fair - I am operating under a more current definition of the word.
I guess that settles it then.
c-jags
PacifistAg said:

Just to clarify, CPAC didn't roll that in. A table trying to sell stuff did. I was pretty disgusted when I saw that but further clarification is necessary

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/26/politics/trump-gold-statue-cpac-2021/index.html

of course people on the right worshipped Trump. They'll call it other things, but as a conservative guy who voted for him in only in Nov 2020, I have been disappointed in a lot of the church in their adoration of him. But no,CPAC did not bring in a gold statue.

That being said, while I appreciate Moore and her ministry over the years in some areas, as another poster said, she used a small piece of scripture and then made allegories and stories about it for entire sermons. I don't know that I ever heard anything blatantly unbiblical in any of the times I've heard her stuff, but it is a lot of fluff and feel good and less exposition of scripture.

Now THAT being said, I know a few people that used to mock her for her shallow teachings but loved retweeting her anti-Trump stuff last fall.

That's fine, but Christians acting like Trump is the first bad actor with a bad personality haven't been paying attention for the last 30 years. It's exchanging a host of issues that result antibiblical results for bad tweets. Of course voting for Trump would be exchanging other antibiblical results for their preferred guy to win.

My main issue is call a fair fight. Biden has said racist stuff, been very hateful, lied, and cheated with Jill while she was married. Trump did all the same but the current crop Christian leaders only like to get points calling out one side.

But, also, Christians (Falwell, FBC Dallas, etc.) , quit defending Trump. He's a scumbag.
PacifistAg
AG
Thanks for clarifying about CPAC. As for Moore, I've never read her stuff, so I cannot comment on her theology. I've heard similar claims that it's shallow, but can't say.

And you're definitely right. Bad actors on both sides. That's partly why I don't even bother wasting my time voting.
Valhalla
dermdoc said:

UTExan said:

redcrayon said:

Women in the clergy is generally funny as hell. I have never seen a single one that didn't eventually go completely woke. I'd never go to a church with a female pastor.
PacifistAg
AG
Don't think she's clergy.
FalconAg06
I love how Jesus Christ himself didn't pick a single woman when given 12 chances to appoint one as an Apostle, and Paul explicitly says "make sure their husband's explain everything to them, and make sure they don't say anything", yet you get those Guilt riddled chicken fried fairies who fall overthemselves to show how non judgemental and hip they are.
diehard03
Quote:

Women in the clergy is generally funny as hell. I have never seen a single one that didn't eventually go completely woke. I'd never go to a church with a female pastor.

Why would you hear of the ones that don't go woke? You've said yourself that you'd never be part of their flock...
diehard03
Quote:

I love how Jesus Christ himself didn't pick a single woman when given 12 chances to appoint one as an Apostle, and Paul explicitly says "make sure their husband's explain everything to them, and make sure they don't say anything", yet you get those Guilt riddled chicken fried fairies who fall overthemselves to show how non judgemental and hip they are.

The great irony is that your attitude is precisely why they do it. Maybe, just maybe, they'd heed your words better if they felt loved by you in the process.
Valhalla
PacifistAg said:

True, the SBC has no power and is basically pointless. She's likely mad she can't do anything like the United Methodist Church and control everything from the top.

Regardless, women should not be pastors.
PacifistAg
AG
Valhalla said:

PacifistAg said:

True, the SBC has no power and is basically pointless. She's likely mad she can't do anything like the United Methodist Church and control everything from the top.

Regardless, women should not be pastors.

What do you want the SBC to do? And yes, the SBC has been essentially powerless, especially when dealing with sex abuse among actual clergy, which is one of her major issues.

Not sure what women serving as pastors has to do with this thread though.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.