What is your best prayer or mantra?

1,621 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Star Wars Memes Only
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe a simple prayer or affirmation to get you thru hard times? Either a prayer you read or a prayer you made up? Mine is simple but very broad:

Lord, guide me
Lord, heal me
Lord, be me
Lord, see me.

(The Lord be me part is related to being Christ like.)

Saying or praying this as a daily mantra or if needed in tough times has helped me stay strong.
jrico2727
AG
Greatest Prayer is the Holy Mass
Most Powerful Devotion Eucharistic Adoration
Best Prayer outside of the Mass is the Rosary
Favorite Prayer said right after Holy Communion Anima Christi
Honorable Mention St Michael Prayer
Zobel
AG
There is a very, very ancient Christian tradition of praying what is known as the Jesus prayer -

"Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me a sinner."

Or, more simply, "Lord have mercy."

The tradition of contemplative prayer precedes Christianity. In ancient Jewish practice the Shema was used in this way, "Hear O Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is one." St Paul "splits the Shema" in Trinitarian confession in a way that would have been immediately recognizable (and perhaps shocking) to Jews of his day in 1 Cor 8:6 "one God the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we through Him."

Contemplative prayer is rooted in the idea that the self, the mind, is not the stream of consciousness we have. Those thoughts can come from both inside us and outside of us, are triggered or incited by certain things, and we have power to choose, resist, or ignore them. By focusing our mind on God, on a confession, we can "step out" of that stream to be able to see it and ourselves more clearly. To achieve a kind of peace. It's not that different than some of the ideas of meditation, but the purpose can be quite different (i.e., not a self-emptying to nothing, or a clearing of the mind to nothingness, but focusing specifically on God and His mercy).

This practice is aided traditionally by the use of a prayer rope, two knots per Jesus prayer.
ToddyHill
AG
God, grant me the Serenity to accept the things I can not change.
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Win At Life
AG
Lamentations 5:21 "Restore us to yourself, Oh Lord, that we may return; renew our days as of old."
Quad Dog
AG
I'll think of Alan Shephard's prayer before big activities at work occasionally.
"Dear Lord, please don't let me **** up"
Martin Q. Blank
I like the prayer of St. Jenny
"Dear God, make me a bird. So I could fly far. Far, far away from here."
TxAgPreacher
S
Matthew 6:7-13 (NKJV): And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.
8 "Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. 9 In this manner, therefore, pray:
Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
10 Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
13 And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen

When praying one made up on the spot is deeper and better. Themes are good when you are learning the art of prayer.
All my political beliefs are informed by my religious ones. To flag my posts, and tell me to take it to R&P is intellectual cowardice. I will not debate interpretation, that is off topic, and trolling me.
chimpanzee
Zobel said:

There is a very, very ancient Christian tradition of praying what is known as the Jesus prayer -

"Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me a sinner."

Or, more simply, "Lord have mercy."

One can say it in cadence with your breathing, it's excellent.
aggietony2010
AG
I disagree with this. You bold a verse that is in contradiction with the next few, where Jesus literally gives a prayer for us to say. Repetitious prayer is found in a few places in scripture as well.

The key to that verse is the word "vain", or empty phrases as it's seen in other translations.

If I pray something like a rosary or divine mercy chaplet in some sort of superficial "I'm doing this prayer because I want God to give me a promotion", that's a vain repetition. If I say a prayer I've said a million times hoping the game winning field goal goes in, that's a vain repetition. If I cross myself mindlessly before an at bat, that's a vain repetition. Even citing the same scripture verse repeatedly can be a vain repetition.

But all those things can be powerful forms of prayer. I can say a rosary and use it to meditate on the mysteries of Christ's life. I can say a divine mercy chaplet and meditate on the powerful mercy of Christ. That prayer I uttered hoping the FG went in is powerful with the right focus on God's will, not mine. If I take a few seconds before an at bat to break my focus from the earthly and think about the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and the victory if Christ's cross being infinitely more important than the victory if the game I'm playing, then that's important as well. And when I return to the same scripture verse for the 1000th time, because it gives me the comfort to trust in God's plan, it's not a vain repetition even though I've said it many times before.

I've also seen spontaneous prayer lose focus and fall into repetitive patterns as well. It's just as easy to lose focus trying to come up with words that sound good.
TxAgPreacher
S
aggietony2010 said:

I disagree with this. You bold a verse that is in contradiction with the next few, where Jesus literally gives a prayer for us to say. Repetitious prayer is found in a few places in scripture as well.

The key to that verse is the word "vain", or empty phrases as it's seen in other translations.

If I pray something like a rosary or divine mercy chaplet in some sort of superficial "I'm doing this prayer because I want God to give me a promotion", that's a vain repetition. If I say a prayer I've said a million times hoping the game winning field goal goes in, that's a vain repetition. If I cross myself mindlessly before an at bat, that's a vain repetition. Even citing the same scripture verse repeatedly can be a vain repetition.

But all those things can be powerful forms of prayer. I can say a rosary and use it to meditate on the mysteries of Christ's life. I can say a divine mercy chaplet and meditate on the powerful mercy of Christ. That prayer I uttered hoping the FG went in is powerful with the right focus on God's will, not mine. If I take a few seconds before an at bat to break my focus from the earthly and think about the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and the victory if Christ's cross being infinitely more important than the victory if the game I'm playing, then that's important as well. And when I return to the same scripture verse for the 1000th time, because it gives me the comfort to trust in God's plan, it's not a vain repetition even though I've said it many times before.

I've also seen spontaneous prayer lose focus and fall into repetitive patterns as well. It's just as easy to lose focus trying to come up with words that sound good.
If you think He gave you a mantra to repeat here then you have missed Jesus' point. He was teaching them the things they aught to pray about.

I understand some people have a different way of doing it, but that wasn't Jesus' way. I have a few prayer patters I fall into as well, but I seek a deeper more meaningful prayer life that I actually put more effort into than mindlessly repeating words. Repeating the same thing over and over doesn't help me at all. Trying my hardest to become more poetic, and genuine for myself helps.

I'll often pray a psalm, but try to make it meaningful to me, but not the same one over and over again. I always strive for my prayers to come from my own heart.

All I'm saying is challenge your self to do better than a mantra.
All my political beliefs are informed by my religious ones. To flag my posts, and tell me to take it to R&P is intellectual cowardice. I will not debate interpretation, that is off topic, and trolling me.
Southlake
Perhaps people should use what works for them without judging others? This thread was only put up to possibly give ideas / thought / prayers / mantras that might help others on here.
TxAgPreacher
S
Southlake said:

Perhaps people should use what works for them without judging others? This thread was only put up to possibly give ideas / thought / prayers / mantras that might help others on here.
you ever stop to think, that this is my genuine opinion, and that I'm trying to help too?

maybe you're judging me.
aggietony2010
AG
If you think he was forbidding reptitious prayer there, you missed his point as well.

Your prayer isnt any more efficacious or holy because you use words you decided on yourself. I agree it can be very beneficial to try to put things in your own words, especially if that helps you focus spiritually. That doesn't make it a superior form of prayer, except perhaps for you in that instance. Jesus repeated his prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane, was his prayer less valid because he went back to the same words he used before?
TxAgPreacher
S
aggietony2010 said:

If you think he was forbidding reptitious prayer there, you missed his point as well.

Your prayer isnt any more efficacious or holy because you use words you decided on yourself. I agree it can be very beneficial to try to put things in your own words, especially if that helps you focus spiritually. That doesn't make it a superior form of prayer, except perhaps for you in that instance. Jesus repeated his prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane, was his prayer less valid because he went back to the same words he used before?
I didn't say that. I simply showed that Jesus' way, when he was asked how to pray, was critical of it. Essentially 'Don't do it like these folks.' Repetitiveness was only part of it. After a while it does become vain.
aggietony2010
AG
And I will say, I do think you're coming from a good place. It's very easy have a repetitious prayer become spiritually stale without proper focus. And from there you can slip into superstition and other bad things. But that can happen with spontaneous prayer as well.
TxAgPreacher
S
aggietony2010 said:

And I will say, I do think you're coming from a good place. It's very easy have a repetitious prayer become spiritually stale without proper focus. And from there you can slip into superstition and other bad things. But that can happen with spontaneous prayer as well.
Evil surmisings are a sin.

I agree with you.
jrico2727
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

aggietony2010 said:

If you think He gave you a mantra to repeat here then you have missed Jesus' point. He was teaching them the things they aught to pray about.

I understand some people have a different way of doing it, but that wasn't Jesus' way. I have a few prayer patters I fall into as well, but I seek a deeper more meaningful prayer life that I actually put more effort into than mindlessly repeating words. Repeating the same thing over and over doesn't help me at all. Trying my hardest to become more poetic, and genuine for myself helps.

I'll often pray a psalm, but try to make it meaningful to me, but not the same one over and over again. I always strive for my prayers to come from my own heart.

All I'm saying is challenge your self to do better than a mantra.

To pray the Rosary is more than a mantra or a repetitive prayer. It is simply the Gospel on beads.
When one prays it they are praying a vocal, meditative, and contemplative prayer. The rosary consists of 5 groups of 10 beads, before each decade of bead on says an Our Father then 10 Hail Marys. On the Our Father a mystery is announced, and one mediates and contemplates the mystery as praying the Hail Marys. The Mysteries are focused on the life and works of Christ and different mysteries are prayed each day. One can incorporate scripture, art, or anything that calls to mind the life of Christ. I am not saying some people don't try to pray the Rosary as fast as possible, and may fall into the trap Our Lord warned us about, but I haven't know anyone who didn't grow closer to Christ through praying the Rosary.

The Value of the Holy Rosary
by
Father Gabriel Amorth
Chief Exorcist of the Vatican
"One day a colleague of mine heard the devil say during an exorcism: 'Every Hail Mary is like a blow on my head. If Christians knew how powerful the Rosary was, it would be my end.'" The secret that makes this prayer so effective is that the Rosary is both Prayer and meditation. It is addressed to the Father, to the Blessed Virgin, and to the Holy Trinity, and is a meditation centered on Christ.

What happens when we pray the Rosary, saying, "When you pray Holy Mary Mother of God, pray for us sinners now", the Blessed Mother comes instantly to your side to pray with you. And she does not come alone. She brings choirs of angels with her for she is the Queen of Angels. And she and Jesus are joined at the heart and cannot be separated so she brings Jesus with her. And Jesus cannot be separated from the Trinity so he brings the Father and the Holy Spirit with him. And where the Holy Trinity is all of creation is and you are surrounded by such beauty and light as you cannot imagine in this life.

Each is speaking to the Blessed Mother and listening carefully to her response within their hearts as they meditate on the scene. Before them in their consideration of the mystery being spoken of and interpreted and translated into their lives. Spread this powerful prayer of Exorcism, the Rosary, which contains the Our Father, the Perfect Prayer, Prayed five times in the recitation of each set of the Rosary's Mysteries, Backed up by the powerful prayers of Our Mother who prays with us as we pray 53 Hail Mary's.

Your Mother comes as Our Lady of Grace with her hands outstretched. Rays of Light emit from her hands piercing your body, healing you and filling you With graces. This is your inheritance which was poured out from the heart of Jesus on the Cross, when the centurion pierced His Heart with the spear, Into the only pure vessel ready to receive such graces at that time, Your Mother. Now as you pray the Rosary, or even just recite one Hail Mary, you Receive your portion of these graces."

"Anyone who Goes to Mary and prays the Rosary cannot be touched by Satan." Is it any Wonder that anyone who prays the Rosary from the heart is so blessed and protected and powerful in their prayers for others? "
Zobel
AG
The Lord basically said don't babble on. "Use vain repetitions" is one word, battalogeo. What a fun word. Apparently it also means stammering. "me battalogesete." I don't think this is an injunction against a form prayer, but of babbling on with the idea that by your long-winded babbling you'll be heard. The key here is "as the pagans do." We're not calling on God trying to get His attention or impress Him with our fancy words "for they think that in their many words will they be heard." As St John Chrysostom said - the purpose of prayer is "not to instruct Him, but to prevail with Him; to be made intimate with Him, by continuance in supplication; to be humbled; to be reminded of your sins."

Form prayers were the norm. People memorized prayers to pray, with a daily prayer rule - the Shema was part of that rule (Hear O Israel, the Lord is your God, the Lord is one). St John the Baptist taught his disciples how to pray, and so Jesus' disciples asked him to teach them the prayer. He didn't say "make up your own prayer, but here's a list of topics you might want to consider." He said, "when you pray, say..."

Christians have been following set, liturgical prayers at fixed intervals since the beginning. Its the example set by the Apostles in Acts. The earliest description of the Christian life is in Acts 2:42: "they steadfastly continued in the teaching of the Apostles; and in the communion, the breaking of the bread; and in the prayers." Three specific definite articles, separated by two ands. Three specific things. Not prayers in general, THE prayers. But as I said, part of contemplative prayer is to train ourselves, to "devote ourselves to watchful prayer", to focus on Him and not be barraged by our "vain imaginings."
Serotonin
AG
St Paul exhorts believers to pray constantly. But how?

One way is the Jesus Prayer which Zobel mentions above.

It has a long history in the Christian spiritual life and like fasting, reading the Psalms, or any other spiritual or ascetic practice, it is a means to an end. The end is Christ.

These practices are all for our benefit in that regard, and if it doesn't work then do what works for you.
TxAgPreacher
S
jrico2727 said:

TxAgPreacher said:

aggietony2010 said:

I disagree with this. You bold a verse that is in contradiction with the next few, where Jesus literally gives a prayer for us to say. Repetitious prayer is found in a few places

What happens when we pray the Rosary, saying, "When you pray Holy Mary Mother of God, pray for us sinners now", the Blessed Mother comes instantly to your side to pray with you. And she does not come alone. She brings choirs of angels with her for she is the Queen of Angels. And she and Jesus are joined at the heart and cannot be separated so she brings Jesus with her. And Jesus cannot be separated from the Trinity so he brings the Father and the Holy Spirit with him. And where the Holy Trinity is all of creation is and you are surrounded by such beauty and light as you cannot imagine in this life.

Each is speaking to the Blessed Mother and listening carefully to her response within their hearts as they meditate on the scene. Before them in their consideration of the mystery being spoken of and interpreted and translated into their lives. Spread this powerful prayer of Exorcism, the Rosary, which contains the Our Father, the Perfect Prayer, Prayed five times in the recitation of each set of the Rosary's Mysteries, Backed up by the powerful prayers of Our Mother who prays with us as we pray 53 Hail Mary's.

Your Mother comes as Our Lady of Grace with her hands outstretched. Rays of Light emit from her hands piercing your body, healing you and filling you With graces. This is your inheritance which was poured out from the heart of Jesus on the Cross, when the centurion pierced His Heart with the spear, Into the only pure vessel ready to receive such graces at that time, Your Mother. Now as you pray the Rosary, or even just recite one Hail Mary, you Receive your portion of these graces."

"Anyone who Goes to Mary and prays the Rosary cannot be touched by Satan." Is it any Wonder that anyone who prays the Rosary from the heart is so blessed and protected and powerful in their prayers for others? "
I'll never pray to Mary. That's blasphemy imho.
PabloSerna
AG
Lord Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me a poor sinner.

My go to.

747Ag
AG
Hail Mary's... all day long.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Lord Jesus Christ, son of the living God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Jesus, I trust in you.

Oh Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

aggietony2010 said:

I didn't say that. I simply showed that Jesus' way, when he was asked how to pray, was critical of it. Essentially 'Don't do it like these folks.' Repetitiveness was only part of it. After a while it does become vain.

And yet when asked this very question, our Lord gave us a VERY specific prayer that we have been repeating for ~2,000 years
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

jrico2727 said:

TxAgPreacher said:

aggietony2010 said:

I disagree with this. You bold a verse that is in contradiction with the next few, where Jesus literally gives a prayer for us to say. Repetitious prayer is found in a few places

I'll never pray to Mary. That's blasphemy imho.

Curious, how do you define blasphemy?

Thanks
PabloSerna
AG
One of those renegade Priest y'all are warning me about told me this about praying the rosary...

"Its like holding the hand of the Mother of Jesus while remembering his life"

+++

The rosary is all about Jesus, need not worry my non-Catholic friends!

chimpanzee
aggietony2010 said:

Long before I thought too critically about things, I would notice how many times spontaneous prayer would use the word "just" as in, "Lord, I just want you to be with us and just fill us with your light and just teach us...", struck me as a filler word affectation of a particular style. I don't know that it is vain, necessarily, but it seemed an imitation of more talented orator preachers that can and do use a basket of words and phrases interchanged in a certain style to sound good. But they've been doing it for decades and they're smoother.
LonghornDub
I like the two-word answer given to a young chaplain at Sewanee's divinity school by an old Anglican Bishop when asked for his advice: Remember Jesus
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

Star Wars Memes Only
Om jai jagdish hare.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.