Questions for Retired on Government "turning towards God."

813 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PacifistAg
Star Wars Memes Only
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Prophets warned what would happen if nations/leaders didn't turn from their path. But that involved turning towards God. Neither Trump or Biden represent the way of Christ though.

Who, if anyone (can't answer Christ, that's cheating), do you think would be a good leader for our government? What would a government that turned towards God look like? Could your vision for government be consistent with the American system of government, particularly as it relates to the first amendment?
PacifistAg
AG
dargscisyhp said:

Quote:

Prophets warned what would happen if nations/leaders didn't turn from their path. But that involved turning towards God. Neither Trump or Biden represent the way of Christ though.

Who, if anyone (can't answer Christ, that's cheating), do you think would be a good leader for our government? What would a government that turned towards God look like? Could your vision for government be consistent with the American system of government, particularly as it relates to the first amendment?
Well, as a Christian, I draw my position from three key passages: 1 Samuel 8, the Temptation of Christ, and Matthew 20:25-28.

• 1 Samuel 8 - Israelite's ask Samuel for a king like the other nations around them, because they don't trust his corrupt sons. Samuel takes the request to God, and views it as though they are rejecting him. God corrects him and says that by demanding a king like the other nations around them, they're rejecting God, not Samuel. God tells Samuel to give the people what they want, but to also give them a warning first of what that will mean. His warning includes the very things we see all earthly government do to their people to this day. My takeaway, though, is that we can't demand a ruler like the world, while still proclaiming God to be our ruler. Even God declared it a rejection of Him.
  • Temptation of Christ - "Again, the devil took Him along to a very high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory; and he said to Him, "All these things I will give You, if You fall down and worship me."
  • First, 'kingdoms' is a term to describe a political entity. Second, I think it's important to note that Christ doesn't challenge Satan's claim of ownership over the "kingdoms". He didn't say "well, those aren't yours to give in the first place". That immediately gives me pause over trying to exercise power over something like that. But Christ, who was without sin or malice, even rejected the offer of that power. I hear Christians claim that we need to put imperfect Christians in office because of the good we can do. But just imagine the good our perfect Christ could have done. Yet, He flatly rejected that power.
  • Matthew 20 - "But Jesus called them to Himself and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles domineer over them, and those in high position exercise authority over them. It is not this way among you, but whoever wants to become prominent among you shall be your servant, and whoever desires to be first among you shall be your slave"
  • Christ here explicitly references the "rulers of the Gentiles" and "those in high position" who "exercise authority over them". Given that He's referring to Gentiles, I have no reason to think that He's referring to anyone other than political leaders. Christ said that we, His followers, are not to follow that way. Those who wish to be "prominent", will serve...not exercise power over others.

So, to answer your question, I don't think followers of Christ should be leaders of the "kingdoms" of this world. It requires divided loyalty that will inevitably lead to conflict between the kingdoms of this world and the Kingdom of God. One way I look at it is if I were a missionary in Uganda. I'm there to serve the Kingdom of God, which is the kingdom where my citizenship lies. I'm not a Ugandan. I wouldn't expect that they'd put me on their throne. Why? Because that's not my nation. I'm a witness to another Kingdom. The same applies here in the US. I'm not an American. Yes, I have an American passport, and pay taxes to the American state, but I place absolutely no value in that earthly citizenship. I am a missionary in a foreign land, and just as I wouldn't expect to rule over Uganda, I shouldn't expect to rule over America.

And last point, I also believe that the very kind of people that I'd trust with that power, are the very kind of people who are repulsed at the idea of possessing that type of power in the first place. Could you imagine someone like Fred Rogers as president? Would I trust him in that role? Sure because his character seemed so deeply ingrained that one could almost predict how he'd handle any situation. But he wouldn't want that power. So I automatically have a distrust of those who seek that kind of power. We know that power corrupts. It is just one of those axioms that all accept as truth. I believe even Christ knew this, which is why He warned against His followers exercising power over others as the Gentiles do.

I believe the Kingdom of God and the American form of government are incompatible with each other. But I believe that to be the case with all forms of government on this planet. Why? Because at their very core, the state is violence. It is backed by violence. It is spread by violence. I believe the way of Christ is nonviolence. It is in self-sacrificial love, even of enemies. If His Kingdom were of this world, then His followers would take up arms like the other kingdoms of this world. But His Kingdom is not of this world. It does not look like the kingdoms of this world, and His citizens do not take up arms for His Kingdom, but we lay down our lives for our enemies, just as He did on the cross. I'm reminded of the words of Athanasius: "Christians, instead of arming themselves with swords, extend their hands in prayer."

I know many disagree with me, and that's fine. I am not going to be so prideful as to think I can't be wrong. But I see just how much the Christian Right and the Christian Left have damaged the witness of the church, and I can't help but think it only reinforces my believe in a way not centered on power, but on Love.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

What would a government that turned towards God look like?
Went back and looked, and I don't think I sufficiently answered this. Well, I believe, especially in our form of government, the state reflects the people and the people reflect the state. So to answer this, we'd have to see a widespread repentance and turning to God among the people. And as a nation, oh we have so much for which to repent. And it's not just recent things. We were founded in blood and oppression. It goes back to the beginning.

What would that look like? Well, we wouldn't exercise rule over our neighbor, so that automatically eliminates the state as we know it. We wouldn't spend $800 billion per year on a machine designed to kill. We wouldn't turn away the refugee. We'd turn sword into plowshare, and spear into pruning hook. I believe we'd look much like the Acts 2 church, giving freely and without coercion to those who are in need, and sharing all things in common. But that's not really compatible with the modern nation-state, and actually looks more like a free voluntaryist society. Is that possible? Probably not, but I believe we, as Christians, are called to be witnesses to such a Kingdom. My mission isn't to be a witness to the pragmatic, but instead to the Kingdom.
UTExan
Don't think there will be an honest government in this time when humans are in charge. We even get a glimpse into the Millennium where there is rebellion even against Christ's rule (Zech. 14:17) where people of the earth are commanded to go to Jerusalem to worship the King after He returns to earth. Only when we have a perfect sovereign ruling with His saints will there be justice, fair adjudication of disputes and most of all, peace.
Until He returns, we only have the Holy Spirit to convict us of individual and corporate sin.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
craigernaught
AG
I'd recommend Hauerwas and Wllimon's Resident Aliens to you, but it sounds like you've already read it.

If not, check it out. It's definitely up your alley.
Star Wars Memes Only
Thanks for your answers!
PacifistAg
AG
Haven't read it, but I LOVE Hauerwas!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.