The Chosen

11,854 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TXAggie4Christ
Pro Sandy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone watching/watched this?

Not being big tv watchers, wife and I have made it through 6 episodes in the past year, though we do like the show.

Dramatization of the life of Christ, so if it bothers you it isn't following scripture exactly, you won't like it. While the teachings remain the same, the order is moved. Production is really good. This isn't your Kirk Cameron production. My take on the characters so far.

Jesus seems slightly aloof at the beginning, but is just waiting for his time. But dude, stop talking in parables.
Simon is skirting the law and wants to beat everyone up. Lucky his friends didn't have him killed.
Matthew is autistic. More functional than The Good Doctor though.
Nicodemus is clearly questioning, but probably the most fake character.

https://studios.vidangel.com/the-chosen
bigcat22
AG
With a title like that I'm assuming Calvinists are involved
Pro Sandy
AG
bigcat22 said:

With a title like that I'm assuming Calvinists are involved
It's worse than that...

The show's writer and director, Dallas Jenkins, is the son of celebrated Left Behind author Jerry Jenkins.
svaggie
AG
I have seen it and am looking forward to the next series. I do like the way the characters are portrayed. The person portraying Matthew is doing an excellent acting job. Peter is one of my favorite Bible characters and I like the way they portray him. I can see how he sticks his foot in his mouth numerous times. And if you pay close attention to have of the traditions and symbolism they do good tying them together.
AsburyAg
AG
Yes! We watched it as a family during the initial phases of the lockdown around Easter. I bought the DVDs and watched it in a Bible Study at church. I was moved to tears with each episode.

Yes, there are some "independent film maker" production values at times - i.e. a shaky camera, but I enjoy it and am looking forward to season 2.

I appreciate the personalities they give to all the players. It's neat to see the door open to the ability to understand the people around Jesus had stories, too.

If you get a chance, watch the Christmas video that started it all.
Pro Sandy
AG
AsburyAg said:

If you get a chance, watch the Christmas video that started it all.
We watched that last night. We finished season 1 and I didn't realize season 2 hadn't been released, so we watched the Christmas short film.

At the end when the Rabbi says "do you have the sheep without a blemish for sacrifice?" and the shepherd just grins, my 6 and 8 year old kids began discussing what they would say in that instance.
NoahAg
Pro Sandy said:

Nicodemus is clearly questioning, but probably the most fake character.

https://studios.vidangel.com/the-chosen
I'm trying to understand this view. Fake as in not Biblical? Fake as in phony?

Family and I loved season 1. Looking forward to 2. It really does illustrate the humanity of the apostles and Jesus like no other film portrayal. All w/out diminishing or downplaying the "Godness" of Jesus.
Pro Sandy
AG
Fake as in the chacter seems too predictable.
wbt5845
AG
Pastor at my church mentioned it in his Homily this morning. To quote his homily...

"The actor that portrays Jesus is a devout Catholic - as was Jesus".
Pierow
AG
It is the most human portrayal of Christ I have ever seen in a movie. I am a backer of their films now. I cannot wait for season two. I am very much looking forward to it.
Acts 2:38
SW-14
AG
Was just about to start a new thread when I saw this one. The first episode of season 2 came out today. This is a fantastic show, I highly recommend you give it a watch.
Aero Aggie 44
AG
This show is so good. Well written, funny, heartfelt, and rooted in the Scriptures. If you are looking for a fresh spin on the Gospels, watch this show.
Frok
AG
Finally watched the first two episodes last night.
PacifistAg
AG
Haven't seen it. The best depiction of Jesus I've seen may be by Bruce Marchiano in The Gospel According to Matthew.
747Ag
AG
wbt5845 said:

Pastor at my church mentioned it in his Homily this morning. To quote his homily...

"The actor that portrays Jesus is a devout Catholic - as was Jesus".
10andBOUNCE
AG
Wife and I are big supporters of The Chosen. It took me a couple episodes back in Season 1 to be okay with the stories they are telling - it just took me a little bit to wrap my head around it being biblically based however extra-biblical with how they were portraying the characters. I treat it like a TV show at the end of the day. I do feel like the writers are doing their best to show how they see life and the main players back then. Acting really is great; there isn't one character that I have rolled my eyes at to this point.

Season 2 Episode 1 was incredible IMO. The way they told the story of the Samaritan who beat up the Jew (Parable of the Good Samaritan) and then tied it into the earlier teaching of the lost sheep was really brilliant writing. And then the last scene with how John had that insight to Jesus and how his gospel writing started.
AG @ HEART
me and my daughter got into it when it came out last year. What I like about it is that reading the gospel you're reading it in a writing style that was prevalent in that time period or culture even though there was more nuance in the actual events. What I do like is that it adds a very human element to the gospel that I know all the real people had their own characteristics, personality not expounded (not really important to the gospel message) upon. We forget that they where people (except Jesus) like us.
SW-14
AG
S2, E2 comes out tonight
The Collective
AG
They ended up showing E3 last night as well. That one hit me pretty hard. Saw so much of myself in the disciples, specifically Peter.
GCRanger
AG
We just finished season 1 and really enjoying it. Kids really liked it too. I like the portrayal of everyone in the show and admit I've been choked up a few times.
Frok
AG
Finally finished season 1, it's sooo good, I love it. My favorite part of season 1 was the conversation with Nicodemus in the middle of the night.
BigD_03
We absolutely love it. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. Love the way they portray Peter. That's exactly the way I've always imagined him.
PooDoo
AG
The director was on the Unashamed podcast with the Duck Dynasty guys.
Was the first time I've heard about it... really impressed.

Is the bible study they are selling just as good?
YouBet
AG
I don't post on this board because I'm bible ignorant, but my wife and I watch this show and it's really good. Figured there would be a thread so just throwing my thumbs up at it.

She told me they have purchased a lot of acreage in Midlothian and are filming S3 there.
Pro Sandy
AG
YouBet said:

I don't post on this board because I'm bible ignorant,
You're in good company on this board. Pretty much everyone on this board is bible ignorant except for me and those who agree with my position.
Bird Poo
AG
Wife and I are on Season 1 episode 4, and we're loving it. My college aged son has drifted in and out of the house between work and friends the last couple of weeks, and has got sucked into it by just passing by us while we have it on. It's that good.

Very good directing and writing, while respecting the themes of the gospels.
milner79
Dallas Jenkins did a live stream tonight that included updates on the planning for season 3 and a 45-minite documentary on the Sermon on the Mount episode that was the conclusion to Season 2. Good stuff, try to find it via the app. Hard to believe that episode was filmed during February's deep freeze.
Jeff84
AG
ttt
10andBOUNCE
AG
TV Jesus made quite a speech at March for Life. Worth the listen.

Aggie521
ABATTBQ87
AG
I absolutely love the show! The healing scenes really are great and humanizing Jesus and those afflicted
ElGoatarod
AG
My family loves this show! Most every episode is very moving. They do a fantastic job of portraying the humanity of Christ. I would never have pictured Matthew as autistic but it works well. This show has forced me to reevaluate the way I've looked at many of the stories from the gospels.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
This show is excellent. My Wife and I just found it. highly recommend.

The first season is on Netflix; others are on Prime video watch now.

Edit: I will never look at the woman at the well story the same again. That was such a powerful scene.
Aggie521
AG
You should download The Chosen app and watch all episodes for free. They have a lot of awesome extra content as well.
Macarthur
As a non-believer, I will most likely not watch this. I did watch The Passion and thought it was well made, but had some issues.

I've read a few quick reviews done by Christians and I'm wondering how some of you reconcile that this is seemingly problematic from a scriptural standpoint and it's biggest flaw, IMO, is the critique that it is a very Westernized version of things.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.