Church shooting in East Texas

7,193 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Star Wars Memes Only
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/01/03/us/texas-church-shooting/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

One dead. My wife just told me that the suspect was involved in a car chase the night before, and hid overnight in the church.
UTExan
Suspect apparently took the pastor's gun and shot him with it.

Lesson Never deploy a gun to intimidate anyone. You don't know what their reaction will be.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Frok
AG
This may be out of line of me but I don't get why a pastor has a gun on him at church.
diehard03
Quote:

This may be out of line of me but I don't get why a pastor has a gun on him at church.

I don't know. I don't think that's the problem necessarily. Every gun owner knows the risk of carrying and understands that their own gun might be used against them. It's a cost-benefit choice every person makes on the issue.

He obviously had some sort of scenario where pulling the gun was in his best interest. Maybe the amount of money in the bag was life and death for the livelihood of the church. Maybe, he was just careless.
dermdoc
AG
Frok said:

My wife and I started a handguns class and after one session decided the only reason you purchase a handgun is that you are willing to kill someone for whatever. And I grew up hunting with shotguns, rifles, the whole deal. Still enjoy it.

We prayed about it and decided that was not for us.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Post removed:
by user
diehard03
Quote:

My wife and I started a handguns class and after one session decided the only reason you purchase a handgun is that you are willing to kill someone for whatever. And I grew up hunting with shotguns, rifles, the whole deal. Still enjoy it.

Yeah, it's funny...as a Texan in the midwest, everyone assumes that I have 10 guns at my house. I always get funny looks when I defend gun ownership, but say that I don't have any because my children are more likely to be killed by a gun I own than anyone else.

And I agree with your point - the entire purpose of a handgun is to use it on person. I think someone needs spend a lot of time with the Lord before considering owning one. I think if we are completely calloused on taking someone's life, even if we are 100% in the right and it's used for protecting someone's family...those feelings should be explored and reconciled.
dermdoc
AG
And may I thank you for being here?

After a lot of soul searching, I have discovered that my personal experiences with Calvinists have soured me a lot more than the actual theology. Still not ready for dp or limited atonement but very much into predestination and the complete Sovereignty of God.

Thanks for being you.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
diehard03
Quote:

And may I thank you for being here?

After a lot of soul searching, I have discovered that my personal experiences with Calvinists have soured me a lot more than the actual theology. Still not ready for dp or limited atonement but very much into predestination and the complete Sovereignty of God.

Thanks for being you.

Thanks for the kind words.

For me it amounts to "giving God his greatest authority" and trying to steer away from any argument that's basically "a good God wouldn't do that". I see Christs statement as "only God is good" as foundational in this regard.

But I am with you that Christians who act unloving because they feel like they are in the elect are missing the point. (I had a floor mate at A&M who like this)
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

And I agree with your point - the entire purpose of a handgun is to use it on person. I think someone needs spend a lot of time with the Lord before considering owning one. I think if we are completely calloused on taking someone's life, even if we are 100% in the right and it's used for protecting someone's family...those feelings should be explored and reconciled.
My views on this are obvious, but I did want to touch upon this excellent point here. It kind of touches upon what I've read of the Orthodox view of "justified" violence. Even if it's a situation of "no other option", we should recognize that taking human life inflicts a moral injury on a person that should never be celebrated. It should be always be mourned. We really see this callousness growing lately though, and it's worrisome. But this handgun distinction is also why my wife and I left a church several years ago. They had a youth mission trip auction and auctioned off a shotgun. Okay, I can live with that. But they also auctioned off a handgun. That was a deal breaker for us because, as you said, its entire purpose is to take a human life.

But this callousness is very troubling lately, because it reflects the fact that we're not seeing God's divine image in others. That's a problem.
Zobel
AG
A handgun's entire purpose isn't to take a human life any more than a Rolex submariner's entire purpose is to help someone when diving. You could make the same argument for a rifle or a knife.

They're tools. This kind of hard connection between tool and use is a bit overly-Platonic for me.
Star Wars Memes Only
Zobel said:

A handgun's entire purpose isn't to take a human life any more than a Rolex submariner's entire purpose is to help someone when diving. You could make the same argument for a rifle or a knife.

They're tools. This kind of hard connection between tool and use is a bit overly-Platonic for me.

To be fair, everything is overly-Platonic for you. /s--sorta
Star Wars Memes Only
diehard03 said:

Quote:

And I agree with your point - the entire purpose of a handgun is to use it on person.

I've nearly pulled my gun on a dog before. I've never come close to pulling it on another human being. I disagree that the only legitimate use of a handgun is to use it on a person.
UTExan
dermdoc said:

Frok said:

I don't blame you for that. I don't think I was really prepared to shoot anybody psychologically until about my 3rd year in law enforcement. Going hand to hand with people who actually don't care if they severely hurt or kill was a moral and psychological game changer for me. I have come very close to shooting about a dozen or so suspects over the course of 36 years in the business, but God was very good and intervened in many situations to bring about resolution. I know there is a psychological price to pay for killing another human being and it is His Grace that solved the problems. One was a situation I have never publicly share before but may do so at a future date which I have come to believe was an angelic intervention.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Star Wars Memes Only
UTExan said:

One was a situation I have never publicly share before but may do so at a future date which I have come to believe was an angelic intervention.

Would you love to hear your story (stories, really) if you feel comfortable sharing.
Star Wars Memes Only
AstroAg17 said:

I had a dog run up aggressively on me a month or two ago. It backed off but that was a wake up call. You better believe I wished I had a gun.

Here's another scary example that was posted on Reddit a few months ago where a gun would have been really usefu:

Zobel
AG
Zobel
AG
Actually I'm pretty pro-Plato in general... in this case what I meant was the idea that a tool is connected its designed or best function in a firm / real / unchangeable way. Which, to be faiiiiah, seems to go beyond Plato.
diehard03
Thanks for the "well ackshually" guys.

Necessity is still the mother of invention...and adaption of tools beyond in their initial conception. While rifles were originally designed for war, there's been a clear deviation in "evolution" between riles used in war...and used in hunting/sport today.

As everyone who has ever owned any tool knows, every tool you own is a hammer. This doesn't mean that tools don't have a purpose or that you can't "task failed successfully" your way into using a tool for another purpose.

That said, a handgun doesn't have a high amount of utility beyond causing death or giving the illusion of causing death. It has evolved to really excel at it's primary function...so much so that it's basically it's only function. I don't think the use cases described (dogs and mountain lions) rises to a meaningful utility level.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
diehard03
Man, yall must really have slow work days if we are trying to stretch this theory out.
Star Wars Memes Only
diehard03 said:

Man, yall must really have slow work days if we are trying to stretch this theory out.

Don't really get this comment. We're on a discussion board having a discussion about guns. We're sharing our thoughts and experiences? It feels relevant to me. I respect you, so if you want me to not, I can stop.
kurt vonnegut
AG
AstroAg17 said:

I disagree. It's entirely anecdotal but in my life and the lives of people I know I can think of many cases where a gun was necessary to deal with an animal in an unexpected situation, and exactly 0 cases where it was necessary to deal with a person.

I'd make the opposite claim; that it's more useful for animals. The situations where it's justified to shoot a person are exceedingly rare.

Depends on where you live, I suppose.

About the scariest thing I've ever seen in the burbs of Dallas are a couple coyotes and bobcats which aren't going to mess with me or my dog that's twice their size. If I lived somewhere with bears, maybe I'd think about carrying. Bears are scary.

The problem with guns isn't the guns themselves or their limited utility beyond killing humans, its some of the culture associated with guns. I have known way too many people that treat guns like an extension of their manhood, or as a toy, or as a political statement. Plenty of people are responsible with guns. Plenty of people aren't.

I think I'm on board with Dermdoc, I'm not opposed to guns. . . . but, I'm not generally prepared to use one another human being. It seems more likely liability with two kids in the house than something that would be needed in an extreme enough situation.
Star Wars Memes Only
kurt vonnegut said:

AstroAg17 said:

I disagree. It's entirely anecdotal but in my life and the lives of people I know I can think of many cases where a gun was necessary to deal with an animal in an unexpected situation, and exactly 0 cases where it was necessary to deal with a person.

I'd make the opposite claim; that it's more useful for animals. The situations where it's justified to shoot a person are exceedingly rare.
The problem with guns isn't the guns themselves or their limited utility beyond killing humans, its some of the culture associated with guns. I have known way too many people that treat guns like an extension of their manhood, or as a toy, or as a political statement.
diehard03
Quote:

Don't really get this comment. We're on a discussion board having a discussion about guns. We're sharing our thoughts and experiences? It feels relevant to me. I respect you, so if you want me to not, I can stop.

I don't have a problem having a discussion on the topic, it's just a strange argument to me and it just feels like we are hunting for something.

it's ok that a handguns primarily "reason to exist" is to kill humans and that what's it designed to do efficiently, while maintaining it's primary use case in close combat/easy of concealability and brandishing. that's it's strategic advantage over other weapons.

That doesn't mean that there aren't a handful of cases, which rarity aren't so dissimilar to home invasion, that one might want to have one. It also doesn't mean that there aren't areas or parts of the country where the risk reward shifts. Inside of this, however, still remains the primary desire to be able to kill humans, if we have to.
Post removed:
by user
ramblin_ag02
AG
I have handguns. I pretty much only use them to sport shoot at ranges with my friends. I'll also take one if I'm camping or hiking in the middle of nowhere. Otherwise they stay locked up. I don't carry around people, because I really don't want to shoot anyone.
Post removed:
by user
Star Wars Memes Only
This metastudy attempts to quantify the risk of having a firearm in the home. Haven't read much of it yet, but thought I'd share.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M13-1301
TxAgPreacher
S
I carry everywhere I go. If someone shoots at me, my family, or my church family we are heavily armed, and will shoot back! Security meeting coming up soon for our security team. Not everyone is a sheepdog, but someone must protect the flock.
Zobel
AG
"If someone shoots at you, shoot back"
-St Paul, probably.
Dumpster Fire
Something something turn the other cheek.

Something something give your tunic also

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.