Interesting concepts in even the 21st Century world.

662 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Patriot101
Patriot101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"The Times" newspaper based out of London is simply known in the UK as "The Times." It's as if they are the center of the universe with a name like that. Outside of the UK, people often refer to the paper as the London Times or the Times of London per wiki.

Here we refer to ourselves as simply American, an rightfully so , but the Canadians are North American, too.

We may have the best sports teams. But I still find it interesting that it is the World Series for professional baseball. It is the World Champions for the team winning the National Football league's Super Bowl.

The winner of the NBA Finals is referred to as the World Champions.

I know, I know...just something to think about. Plus, this is the 21st Century and we aren't even ancient people. Imagine that.

Cynic
I keep waiting for you to answer your own post so I can have some idea what the point is.
diehard03
I mean, we do crown the World Champion in those sports. The only way an international team wouldn't get laughed off the court/field/floor is if they built a super team of all the best players in that country (ala World Baseball Classic). But, as soon as you remove all the international players that play in our leagues out of the pool, the champion would crush whos left.

I don't know that those are good examples of our narcissism though. That's probably better demonstrated by sitting on a message board and pretending we know what's interesting in the world.
Patriot101
Touche y'all.

My point is that of an hermeneutic one.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.