The spelling of Jesus as Jesu

1,733 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jason C.
lobopride
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Listening to Christmas songs some call Jesus Jesu instead. Where does this song originate? I tried googling it but came up with nothing.
I am a slave of Christ
one MEEN Ag
AG
lobopride said:

Listening to Christmas songs some call Jesus Jesu instead. Where does this song originate? I tried googling it but came up with nothing.

Are you asking for recommendations of Christmas songs that just sub in Jesu for Jesus? Or are you asking why? Because Jesus in the English language is a couple of translations away from what He would call himself.
Pro Sandy
AG
Jesu comes from Latin. The only song that comes to mind is Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring. What song you listening to?
lobopride
Pro Sandy said:

Jesu comes from Latin. The only song that comes to mind is Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring. What song you listening to?

I think it was Little Drummer Boy not sure which version. Thanks for the answer. I'm not Catholic so Latin wouldn't have been my first guess
I am a slave of Christ
lobopride
one MEEN Ag said:

lobopride said:

Are you asking for recommendations of Christmas songs that just sub in Jesu for Jesus? Or are you asking why? Because Jesus in the English language is a couple of translations away from what He would call himself.

No I heard a Christmas song where he is called Jesu and hasn't heard that name before and wanted the origin behind it.
I am a slave of Christ
Zobel
AG
Well, that's the worst Christmas song.
Post removed:
by user
Pro Sandy
AG
Zobel said:

Of remotely Christian Christmas songs, absolutely.

Of secular Christmas songs, Happy XMas (War is Over) takes the cake, followed by Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Santa baby
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jkag89
Pro Sandy said:

Zobel said:

Of secular Christmas songs, Happy XMas (War is Over) takes the cake, followed by Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time.
Yep not even George nor Ringo were able to write a listenable Christmas tune. Both their efforts are dreadful also.
swimmerbabe11
Pro Sandy said:

Zobel said:

Do they even know it's Christmas?

That one wins.
Nothing can beat it.
Ronnie
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Pro Sandy said:

Zobel said:

Do they even know it's Christmas?

That one wins.
Nothing can beat it.

I'll raise you Dominick the Christmas Donkey

And I've got at least a few more to back that one up
Zobel
AG
I love that song
Pro Sandy
AG
Zobel said:

I love that song
I was pretty sad when I asked my co-worker, who is married to an Italian woman, if it was a real thing. He called her at home and she said she had never heard of it.
anaag75
AG
Christmas Shoes is by far the worst Christmas song and it's not even close.
nortex97
AG
lobopride said:

Aramaic. If that throws you off, Yeshua, and Yehoshua probably really throw ya for a loop.

Really, it's a form of Joshua, which then as now about 1/10th of Jewish boys are named after.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeshua
Jason C.
AG
Pro Sandy said:

Specifically, it's the vocative singular declension of "Jesus," so it's the word one would say if one were calling to Jesus by name.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Jesus
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.