Things to consider about Genesis chapters 2&3.

1,532 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Patriot101
Patriot101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's funny that there are like ten views on what Yom or day means in Genesis 1, which is much older than Genesis two, for instance. We kind of get off topic by dating and such. We are consequently forgetting what it is to be male and female.

The way I now see the Adam and Eve narrative was borrowed from a 2nd Temple Judaism scholar. Peter Enns borrowed it from the rabbinic tradition.

The idea is that the narrative is poetic in nature. The narrative is a summary of what it is to be male and female, and how Israel is to respond as a covenant people. Israel was to eat from the tree of life, so to speak, by not living by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. Jesus responded correctly by not adding to or taking away from the commands when the serpent tempts him in his 40 days in the desert or wildDerness. Satan exaggerates God's word and tempts Christ with it. "Will he not give his angels charge over thee?" " Just cast yourself down over this cliff."
Israel was to be a people of the Torah like Christ. Jesus' response was verbatim from the mouth of God. He didn't exaggerate or overemphasize.

The tree of knowledge of good and evil was Israel wanting to be their own God by doing things their own way. They often were corrected by the prophets for trying to do things their own way. Generally speaking, knowledge of good and evil is not a bad thing. It's a bad thing when Israel wants to be like God and do things her own way.

In Genesis 3:2, the serpent overemphasizes or exaggerates the command of God that none of the trees are good to eat from. The serpent, in this summary approach, represents culture. Eve responded in verse 3 with an exaggeration of her own. Eve adds that they are forbidden to not even touch the tree. Let alone eat from it. That's not what the original command was in chapter two from the mouth of Yahweh.

Deuteronomy 4:2

"Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you."

Revelation 28:18-19

"I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll:If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll."

Matthew 15:9 (Jesus)

"In vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.'"

Colossians 2:21-23 (Paul)

(Touch not; taste not; handle not;
Which all are to perish with the using after the commandments and doctrines of men?
Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

So the Pharisees with their 613 commandments created a hedge around the law in hopes to better obey the original 10 commandments.

On Eve's response in Genesis 3:3:

Keil and Delietzhe Commentary

"She was aware of the prohibition, therefore, and fully understood its meaning; but she added, "neither shall ye touch it," and proved by this very exaggeration that it appeared too stringent even to her, and therefore that her love and confidence towards God were already beginning to waver."

Matthew Henry on Genesis 3:3:

"He quoted the command wrong. He spoke in a taunting way. The devil, as he is a liar, so he is a scoffer from the beginning; and scoffers are his children. It is the craft of Satan to speak of the Divine law as uncertain or unreasonable, and so to draw people to sin; it is our wisdom to keep up a firm belief of God's command, and a high respect for it. Has God said, Ye shall not lie, nor take his name in vain, nor be drunk, &c.? Yes, I am sure he has, and it is well said; and by his grace I will abide by it."

Cambridge Bible Commentary on 3:3:

Cambridge Bible for schools commentary

" The woman speaks of only one tree, and that one is in the midst of the garden. She does not mention it by name. In
Genesis 2:9
, where two trees are mentioned, the one which is described as "in the midst of the garden" is the tree of life. Here the woman speaks of the tree, which is "in the midst of the garden," as the tree of knowledge.
neither shall ye touch it
] This is an addition to the prohibition contained in
Genesis 2:17
, either an element omitted in the previous chapter, or an exaggeration expressive of the woman's eagerness."

Lastly, Adam and Eve were exiled or excommunicated from the garden when they ate of the tree of doing things their own way. That is the worst thing for a Jew to be placed outside of the covenant community. You see that as well throughout the entire Old Testament.

Also, the curse follows in Chapter 3 for the consequences of sin. It is written that cursed is everyone who is hung by a tree. Jesus is the tree of life to us. We look back to the way things ought to be in the garden and we look forward to our return without that silly talking serpent in the garden again, so to speak. Jesus has crushed the head of the serpent.
It is an already and not yet.

Godspeed!

Sb1540
The narrative is about heaven and earth. Male and female are a microcosm of that union.
Patriot101
Larry Lajitas said:

The narrative is about heaven and earth. Male and female are a microcosm of that union.

I allude to that. And it is not just me. I give the Jewish scholars credit. I give all scholars in orthodoxy a thank you before the 19th century. I should state that the way Genesis 2 and 3 was used drastically changed after Darwin.
DirtDiver
The depth of Gen. can be looked at so many ways. I like the tree connection...

Do not eat from the fruit of the tree...
curse - thorns and thistles
Christ wore the crown of thorns and died on a tree

And he showed me a river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb, 2 in the middle of its street. On either side of the river was the tree of life, bearing twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. 3 There will no longer be any curse; and the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and His bond-servants will serve Him; 4 they will see His face, and His name will be on their foreheads. 5 And there will no longer be any night; and they will not have need of the light of a lamp nor the light of the sun, because the Lord God will illuminate them; and they will reign forever and ever.
Patriot101
How providential! ^
Patriot101
Interestingly consistent with how Jews taught Adam and Eve, we find this in the Talmud....

The most notorious demon in the Talmud is Lilith .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.myjewishlearning.com/article/lilith-lady-flying-in-darkness/amp/
PabloSerna
AG
Interesting reading about Lilith from the Talmund.

Thankfully Thomas Aquinas, also known as the Angelic Doctor, wrote about the differences between man and angels. We have distinct natures and humans can never become angels. Also, as we have come to understand, all demons are really fallen angels. By that understanding, the story about Lilith is just - interesting.

Patriot101
PabloSerna said:

Interesting reading about Lilith from the Talmund.

Thankfully Thomas Aquinas, also known as the Angelic Doctor, wrote about the differences between man and angles. We have distinct natures and humans can never become angels. Also, as we have come to understand, all demons are really fallen angels. By that understanding, the story about Lilith is just - interesting.

We absolutely agree. I was making an historical interpretation point. I noticed how certain Jewish scholars even watered down the the Lilith concept from the Talmud later on...
Patriot101
Also....

Preface: (I realize the overlap between the Babylon/the state/the beast/culture/the antichrist in the church (gay bishop)/Satan. I'm not a deist. I truly believe there are demonic things going on in the world.)
Patriot101
What if God wanted to create humanity with a need by making man weak to the woman and woman weak to the serpent/culture/satan?

Now the following is from a letter strictly written to a pastor for the role of the church.

1 Timothy 2:12-14 (the Apostle Paul)

"2 I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man.13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve; 14 and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor."

Notice that the Apostle doesn't give the reason for women not being permitted to teach in a church setting due to the lack of female education. Neither does the Apostle Paul appeal to his former philosophical training, knowledge, or influences. Nor does St. Paul appeal to the culture in whatsoever way.

Instead, the Apostle appeals to the order of creation for the reason why...

"13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve; 14 and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor."

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.