Might as well do this now, so here you go

27,103 Views | 510 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PabloSerna
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
747Ag said:

AstroAg17 said:

Show your kid the gimp as a control.

Too late. Bourbon time.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
giantuglybagofmostlywater
UTExan said:

Obviously the most difficult part for me to deal with was when you admitted to liking being an HR person.

I'm a little disappointed I was banned for making a joke in the same vain.
diehard03
Quote:

I'm a little disappointed I was banned for making a joke in the same vain.

IIRC, yours wasn't as eloquent and certainly could have been read as flat out mean.
PacifistAg
AG
Who is that?
Post removed:
by user
NotAGiantBagOfWater
Quote:

IIRC, yours wasn't as eloquent and certainly could have been read as flat out mean.

I had intended for it to be read as something mean until the reveal at the end. I was hoping that it would be clear that it was a joke, but I understand that tone doesn't carry well on the internet and if it came off as mean or hateful, I'm terribly sorry because that was not my intention. OP shared a very personal experience, and is right that words can cut deeply, so if it came off as anything other than a joke I'm sorry OP.

Quote:

Someone who has violated the texags TOS by creating a sock.

I was hoping they would reinstate me after I explained myself, but I guess not.

Also I'm not sure just creating a sock does violate the TOS from what I can see.

Quote:

Each person is entitled to one username per email account

Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

I had intended for it to be read as something mean until the reveal at the end. I was hoping that it would be clear that it was a joke, but I understand that tone doesn't carry well on the internet and if it came off as mean or hateful, I'm terribly sorry because that was not my intention. OP shared a very personal experience, and is right that words can cut deeply, so if it came off as anything other than a joke I'm sorry OP.
This is really good to hear. The sad thing is that it seemed exactly like what certain people who show up on this type of thread post in all seriousness. Poe's Law strikes again.
Eliminatus
AG
This has been a thoroughly entertaining/enlightening thread to read as a conservative atheist (though largely socially liberal). And yes I read every word. To include your original story, OP.

The only thing I will add is that appreciate your honesty, OP. Agree or disagree with your thoughts, actions, and decisions no one here can deny your humanity. I sincerely hope you have found the peace you desperately needed and that it continues unabated for you and your family. We all, as humans, deserve that.
kurt vonnegut
AG
I just wish we had more discussion about application of OT and NT laws.

I feel like I blinked and this thread was suddenly 15 pages long. Good read (at least some parts). Carry on.
Rubicante
AG
Thank you for sharing.
spud1910
AG
Hey OP, I don't spend a lot of time on this board, so just now reading this thread. Best wishes to you and your family going forward. I have enjoyed your posts over the years and hope you continue.
Post removed:
by user
PacifistAg
AG
AstroAg17 said:

So are you done going to the Middle East? You can't go there now, right?

That's a good question. All my documents say Female, including my birth certificate. I certainly want to go back. I'll have to look into it.
Post removed:
by user
swimmerbabe11
I didn't know that you could change your birth certificate. I kinda thought that was one of those things that was pretty much sealed in records and unchanged after its signed.
diehard03
Looks like there's been a lot of legislation around it and it varies state by state. Its kinda useless information on a birth certificate anyway.
PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I didn't know that you could change your birth certificate. I kinda thought that was one of those things that was pretty much sealed in records and unchanged after its signed.
Yep, in Texas it was $300 to change my name and gender marker together. As diehard mentioned, though, on a bc, it's really useless information. I'm open and honest about it when I go to a doctor, or some place where it may be relevant. That way they can understand why I answer that there's no way that I'm pregnant. lol
PacifistAg
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Can people tell you're trans from looking at you? What would be the penalty, if any, for being identified?
Well, that's an interesting question that varies from day to day it seems. I've had one guy stop me while walking on campus to ask if I played basketball (I'm 6ft tall). Being that 6ft tall isn't "tall" for a male basketball player, I'm going to assume he thought I was a cis woman. But then there are other times that I feel like I am easily identifiable as a trans woman. I try not to get too hung up on that, even though I am saving money (and have a gofundme) to help with that problem.

In the West Bank, it's not illegal, but it's certainly not open and accepted. LGBTQ groups cannot meet together in the West Bank either. There are no LGBTQ legal protections, and in Gaza male homosexuality is illegal. If going over with an NGO, though, it will probably be much safer than for the average LGBTQ Palestinian. Israel is far more accepting of it though.
RAB91
I know the OP isn't Catholic, but I just thought I'd drop this here.

'The Church's Position on "Transgenderism" '
https://www.catholic.com/qa/the-churchs-position-on-transgenderism-0?

Quote:

The Church has a different take, one that is grounded in genuinely confirmed reality. One is born either or male or female, and this also applies to hermaphrodites who, though they manifest both male and female anatomical aspects at birth, are either biological boys or girls.

In this light, the Church recognizes that every human person is created in the image and likeness of God, male or female (Gen. 1:26-27). And so we should help people discover their true identities as children of God, not support them in the disordered attempt to reject their undeniable biological identity.

In this light, we should act in love toward those who experience gender identity disorder, and reprove those who engage in name-calling and other uncharitable behavior toward them.
PabloSerna
AG
RAB91 - While the article is entitled, "The Church's Position.." it is actually written by the renowned Catholic apologist group, "Catholic Answers". In it, they cite many of the biblical verses many of us are familiar with that have formed the current understanding that homosexual acts are immoral and no different than rape, incest, prostitution, bestiality, and the like.

If you want to really know what the Catholic Church's statements about sexual orientation, transgender, and other topics relevant to this discussion - I suggest you visit the website New Ways Ministries that has been around since 1976.
+++

"As far as I am aware, the Church takes no official position on transgenderism: it is a pastoral issue, not a matter of doctrine. . .Insofar as the Church were to be involved in any individual's decision to transition, it would counsel caution, because this is not a step to take lightly: but it should be fully supportive of individuals who have made that decision."

Monsignor Keith Barltrop, head of LGBTQI outreach for the Diocese of Westminster

EDIT to delete reference to them as "leaders". I will just say that they are presenting a different side of the discussion and leave it at that.
FalconAg06
PabloSerna said:

RAB91 - While the article is entitled, "The Church's Position.." it is actually written by the renowned Catholic apologist group, "Catholic Answers". In it, they cite many of the biblical verses many of us are familiar with that have formed the current understanding that homosexual acts are immoral and no different than rape, incest, prostitution, bestiality, and the like.

If you want to really know what the Catholic Church's statements about sexual orientation, transgender, and other topics relevant to this discussion - I suggest you visit the website New Ways Ministries that has been around since 1976.
+++

"As far as I am aware, the Church takes no official position on transgenderism: it is a pastoral issue, not a matter of doctrine. . .Insofar as the Church were to be involved in any individual's decision to transition, it would counsel caution, because this is not a step to take lightly: but it should be fully supportive of individuals who have made that decision."

Monsignor Keith Barltrop, head of LGBTQI outreach for the Diocese of Westminster

EDIT to delete reference to them as "leaders". I will just say that they are presenting a different side of the discussion and leave it at that.

Seriously? New Ways Ministries? You know the USCCB has said the following on New Ways Ministries, correct?

"in no manner is the position proposed by New Ways Ministry in conformity with Catholic teaching and in no manner is this organization authorized to speak on behalf of the Catholic Church or to identify itself as a Catholic organization"

Why would you direct someone to them?
PabloSerna
AG
Yes, I am aware of it and made a point to clarify that in my original post.

+++

Here is something for you to consider... (copied from Wikipedia) on Sister Gramick:

Gramick's own religious order - the School Sisters of Notre Dame asked her to stop speaking publicly on gay rights. Gramick indicated her intention to carry on her work, stating, "I choose not to collaborate in my own oppression by restricting a basic human right [to speak]. To me this is a matter of conscience." She transferred from the School Sisters of Notre Dame to the Sisters of Loretto at this time, who supported her continued ministry around LGBT issues.

I am sure you are probably aware that, as a Catholic, we have a right to factor in our moral conscious (CCC 1777) as we go through life building up the Kingdom of God. Remember this is what she has devoted her life to doing. We are free to disagree and strongly disagree with each other. Her current religious order is allowing her to fulfil this calling placed on her heart as a religious person (and I mean that in the vocational sense).

What has she done that is so awful? What I have read, albeit brief, has been to show the love and mercy of Jesus to people who are gay. Hardly any reason to tie her to a stake and BBQ!

+++

I think some of y'all are missing the point. Neither Fr. Martin nor Sister Gramick have been excommunicated for their work. Ask yourself why? I believe because there are persons in position of the hierarchy here in the USA and in Rome that are leaving the door open to this ministry. They are not the loud, vocal ones - and I respect every one of those Bishops, Cardinals, and more. They can make public statements and should. Just know that the heads of each of their religious Orders and the Pope is who they pledged obedience.

These religious Orders operate under the auspicious of the local Bishop. If the Bishop wished to expel them from his Diocese he can do it in a New York minute. Yet they are still being Jesus to the good people who have been told by other Christians that "God Hates ***s" and other lies.

+++

For me, I still gravitate to the parable of the Good Samaritan. Many people went out of their way to avoid helping a stranger left for dead on the road. It was a Samaritan of all people, who really reflected what I believe God has called us all to do - be charitable to one another.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.