Pope Francis skating in the edge of heresy again

9,303 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by chimpanzee
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Zobel said:

I do not condemn anyone. I do need your prayers, and I appreciate them.

There's nothing loving about ignoring or excusing sin. Christ Jesus never did so, nor did the Apostles.

We all must repent, deny ourselves, and take up our crosses.
this is what many people can't get their heads wrapped around.
PabloSerna
AG
"there is nothing loving about ignoring or excusing sin"

I can agree with this attitude if the first action begins with mercy. Jesus gave the best example when he responded to the Pharisees who had brought a woman caught in adultery -

"If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her"

This is what I feel Pope Francis is attempting to do - instead of focusing on the act itself, he is focusing on the mercy and desire these people have to be one with God. I think there are people, even today, that want to see a blood bath or a "stoning" of sinners.
Zobel
AG
It's not about mercy or their desire to be with God. It is not his job to create new pathways to God. It is his job to proclaim the gospel which includes the Lord's return to judge men for what they have done.

Rather addressing it as the Lord did - go and sin no more - he seems to want to excuse, ignore, condone, or legitimize it. Pick your own word, I'm not trying to argue about the degree to which he is acting.

If they want to be with the Lord, the way is clear because the Lord cleared it Himself. The way is the same for them as all of us - repentance, obedience, humility, and love.

There is a bit of a bait and switch going on here though. You've subtly implied anyone who says that engaging in sexual immorality is a sin and that unrepentant sinners (of any kind) should not approach the chalice for their own good are standing in judgment like the Pharisees in the pericope of the woman caught in adultery. That's not what is happening and it isn't the topic at hand.
cavscout96
AG
Zobel beat me to it....

He didn't tell her. "go, keep sinning, I still love you."

He told her "go, and sin no more."

TexasAggie81
BluHorseShu said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Not Catholic so excuse my ignorance. But isn't it literally impossible for the Pope to be heretical? Isn't Church teaching pretty much whatever he says it is? Couldn't he theoretically excommunicate the entire church and be the only Catholic left?
Have gone from being a member of protestant churches to being Catholic, I still see the Pope as fallible except when speaking ex Cathedra (which I believe there's only been 2 teachings historically). My pastor of the baptist church I grew up attending was viewed somewhat the same, in that most of the congregation believed his interpretation of scripture....until he said something that wasn't supported by it.

With all respect, no man born of a man and a woman (and not the Holy Spirit) is infallible is any facit of his life. Putting on a gown and a mitre and receiving the votes of fallible men doesn't make one infallible.
Zobel
AG
I don't believe in papal infallibility, so don't take this the wrong way. But they don't believe that the voting or the gown or the mitre are what confers infallibility.
Ag4coal
TexasAggie81 said:

BluHorseShu said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Not Catholic so excuse my ignorance. But isn't it literally impossible for the Pope to be heretical? Isn't Church teaching pretty much whatever he says it is? Couldn't he theoretically excommunicate the entire church and be the only Catholic left?
Have gone from being a member of protestant churches to being Catholic, I still see the Pope as fallible except when speaking ex Cathedra (which I believe there's only been 2 teachings historically). My pastor of the baptist church I grew up attending was viewed somewhat the same, in that most of the congregation believed his interpretation of scripture....until he said something that wasn't supported by it.

With all respect, no man born of a man and a woman (and not the Holy Spirit) is infallible is any facit of his life. Putting on a gown and a mitre and receiving the votes of fallible men doesn't make one infallible.

The chair of the Pope is infallible. Catholic teaching is that this position is protected by the Holy Spirit. In addition, he is only infallible when declaring a dogma. This is never done by just the Pope. The few statements like this made through history are conclusions arrived at by many cardinals and theologians. He doesn't just wake up on a Tuesday and start defining doctrine (thank goodness)

Catholics thinking popes are infallible as a man would be absolutely idiotic, I agree
PabloSerna
AG
Zobel said:

I don't believe in papal infallibility, so don't take this the wrong way. But they don't believe that the voting or the gown or the mitre are what confers infallibility.

Is it your belief then that Jesus has abandoned the Church he put into motion? I mean he did say something along the lines that he would be with us always until the end of time. Is it possible then, that he did indeed keep his word and through the Holy Spirit continues to guide the Church in matters of Faith? This is what Roman Catholics profess... makes sense to me.

Zobel
AG
The Church is not summed up in one man. The Church can be and is infallible without an infallible pope.
PabloSerna
AG
I think you are affirming what we as RCC believe.. .it is the Holy Spirit at work in matters of Faith not a former boxer.
Zobel
AG
If by affirming you mean explicitly rejecting, then sure.

The pope is not infallible by virtue of his office. The Holy Spirit actively leads, guides, and works through the Church, but not necessarily through or with any particular person - even the bishop of Rome.
Zobel
AG
Quote:

e teach and define as a divinely revealed dogma that when the Roman pontiff speaks EX CATHEDRA, that is, when,

1. in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians,
2. in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority,
3. he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole church,
he possesses, by the divine assistance promised to him in blessed Peter, that infallibility which the divine Redeemer willed his church to enjoy in defining doctrine concerning faith or morals.

Therefore, such definitions of the Roman pontiff are of themselves, and not by the consent of the church, irreformable.

So then, should anyone, which God forbid, have the temerity to reject this definition of ours: let him be anathema.

This is ridiculous and I openly reject it.
PabloSerna
AG
Zobel said:

Quote:

e teach and define as a divinely revealed dogma that when the Roman pontiff speaks EX CATHEDRA, that is, when,

1. in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians,
2. in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority,
3. he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole church,
he possesses, by the divine assistance promised to him in blessed Peter, that infallibility which the divine Redeemer willed his church to enjoy in defining doctrine concerning faith or morals.

Therefore, such definitions of the Roman pontiff are of themselves, and not by the consent of the church, irreformable.

So then, should anyone, which God forbid, have the temerity to reject this definition of ours: let him be anathema.

This is ridiculous and I openly reject it.

Now you understand. For Roman Catholics, this is a critical aspect of church authority. It is not invoked often, twice in the 2000+ years of church history from what I am reading.

But - I do want to point out something important about this understanding. For one, does it not make sense that God would give this type of assurance to the Church on earth? I like to think that God is active in our midst - not passive. He chooses to work through people - young, old, wise, foolish - all out of love and in mercy. In a way, it is comforting to know that we can trust God to guard the Church here on earth in matters of faith and morals.

Zobel
AG
A critical aspect of church authority that wasn't defined until 1870? And wasn't used except in 1854 and 1950? Whatever did we do for the previous centuries?

Quote:

For one, does it not make sense that God would give this type of assurance to the Church on earth? I like to think that God is active in our midst - not passive. He chooses to work through people - young, old, wise, foolish - all out of love and in mercy. In a way, it is comforting to know that we can trust God to guard the Church here on earth in matters of faith and morals.
This is a non sequitur. Your logic here is:

God gives assurance to the Church (true)
God is active in our midst (true)
He chooses to work through people out of love and mercy (true)
We can trust God to guard the Church here (true)
Therefore the pope is imbued with some kind of infallibility including above and over the consent of the whole Church (??????)
PabloSerna
AG
Zobel said:

It's not about mercy or their desire to be with God. It is not his job to create new pathways to God. It is his job to proclaim the gospel which includes the Lord's return to judge men for what they have done.

Rather addressing it as the Lord did - go and sin no more - he seems to want to excuse, ignore, condone, or legitimize it. Pick your own word, I'm not trying to argue about the degree to which he is acting.

If they want to be with the Lord, the way is clear because the Lord cleared it Himself. The way is the same for them as all of us - repentance, obedience, humility, and love.

There is a bit of a bait and switch going on here though. You've subtly implied anyone who says that engaging in sexual immorality is a sin and that unrepentant sinners (of any kind) should not approach the chalice for their own good are standing in judgment like the Pharisees in the pericope of the woman caught in adultery. That's not what is happening and it isn't the topic at hand.

I think he is doing both, proclaiming the good news AND being a good shepherd. Jesus was very direct about this aspect when he asked Saint Peter, the first Pope, to feed his sheep. So, in a sense, the Pope has an added aspect of the mission that many of the rest of us do not. That was what I was trying to point out about mercy being at the center.

I have read more about what he did say, and the more I read, the more I stand by my understanding that Pope Francis is taking a careful pastoral angle in addressing a very important topic in our time. This should be applauded and I do not see any of the teaching coming out of the recent synods as "excuse, ignore, condone, or legitimize" - to use your words. Quite the opposite if you care to read.

I highlighted something you wrote, that the way is the same for all of us, regarding salvation. If I understand you correctly, I can understand your frustration with people like Pope Francis who takes a different approach, than say Pope Benedict or even Rev. Billy Graham. I had this same 'hang up' for a while until it was pointed out to me that none of us have a monopoly on the mission. This was pointed out by Jesus when the Apostles reported to him about other people driving out demons in his name (MK 9:38). Let's see where this goes. He hasn't said anything against the foundational teachings.

You have understood me correctly that we cannot judge others. Especially when it comes to the state of their soul. That was the point of the parable mentioned. Those men went way beyond the sinful act she was caught doing (another story) and had rocks in hand to pass final judgement. Jesus was not saying they were wrong in what they accused her of doing, but that they cannot cast a stone since they, themselves, were sinners.

I'm not seeing a bait and switch as you have mentioned. Just tapping the brakes, if you will, on the criticism of Pope Francis's pastoral approach. Let's hear him out and let have a much needed dialogue about LGBTQ people in the Roman Catholic Church.

Zobel
AG
Why is there much needed dialogue? Is the teaching of the Church on matters of faith and morals unclear? Who will teach whom?

First council said - citing the Law - no sexual immortality for gentiles who come to the faith. It hasn't changed since.
PabloSerna
AG
Papal infallibility is an age old debate that I think we can agree to disagree. I think you have understood it and have rejected it along with many others. When the Bishop of Rome sits in the Chair of Peter, well at that moment, he is by grace from God, infallible. It's right up there with transubstantiation and other miraculous aspects of God's promise to his people.

Zobel
AG
Well, believe it if you like. A fairytale promise to give rational certainty where none is promised or required, which has been rejected by the majority of Christendom throughout history. Not the first time the popes have pitched a fit and tried to excommunicate anyone who opposed them, and surely not the last. Sad, really.
PabloSerna
AG
A personal question - you don't have to answer - do you have children?

I have 8.

Seriously... 8 kids.

I do not have a different rule about homework for each - how I bring each kid to understanding this rule is unique to each. For some, I don't even have say anything. For some, I have to talk to them about the importance of staying on top of homework and doing it before playing outside. For one in particular, she seems to learn by making mistakes no matter how much I try. So I make an extra effort to guide her along. It is in small steps. She may have some mental issues that I have to take into account when I talk to her.

But always - we talk and the goal is the same - homework is important. Each kid is at a different stage.

Zobel
AG
I have 3.

People who sin in defiance... the Hebrew term is with a high hand... - any sin - should not approach the chalice without repentance. It is an abdication of pastoral responsibility and love to not call people to repentance. You can do this with extreme love and humility. But at the end of the day, it is what it is.

Much like the abortion issue, here you can't seem to acknowledge the problem without provisos, qualifiers, and obfuscation.
cavscout96
AG
Peter himself was far from infallible. Why then would HIS particular chair imbue the person sitting upon it with supernatural infallibility?

I do not recall any scriptural reference or council declaration or creed that purports to establish this claim.

There has only ever been one infallible man. He, and he only, is the source of our salvation.

No other man, before or since, is infallible, regardless of the chair upon which he sits.
PabloSerna
AG
I hear ya Zobel.. just a different approach to the same goal I believe.

PabloSerna
AG
Cavscout96,

Here is a link to the history of this relic. I have actually touched, as have millions, the foot of the bronze statue in the Basilica of St. Peter. I visited Rome and Assisi, Italy almost 20 years ago. Like the Holy Land (I imagine) the whole city is steeped in history.

The logic is what I alluded to above - authority. As a Roman Catholic, we have it in a very real way. I find this very comforting. As you can see on this board - we can disagree all we want, but at the end of the day, as a Catholic, I look to the Bishop of Rome to lead the way.
cavscout96
AG
PabloSerna said:

Cavscout96,

Here is a link to the history of this relic. I have actually touched, as have millions, the foot of the bronze statue in the Basilica of St. Peter. I visited Rome and Assisi, Italy almost 20 years ago. Like the Holy Land (I imagine) the whole city is steeped in history.

The logic is what I alluded to above - authority. As a Roman Catholic, we have it in a very real way. I find this very comforting. As you can see on this board - we can disagree all we want, but at the end of the day, as a Catholic, I look to the Bishop of Rome to lead the way.
You didn't answer the question.

I never said it wasn't actually Peter's chair. It very well may be.

I asked what scriptural, creedal, or ecumenical evidence is there to support the the idea of supernatural (divine) infallibility imputed to the person who sits in Peter's chair?

You've basically responded "Because I said so."

I whole-heartedly get authority. I don't believe it comes from the seat of someone's pants.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
PabloSerna said:

Cavscout96,

Sometimes your get lucky, sometimes you get Alexander VI. I doubt many found comfort there.
PabloSerna
AG
Cavscout96... 31V myself...

Here is a link to a site that will do a much better job of explaining this than I could.
PabloSerna
AG
You got that right. Rarely invoked. Only relates to matters of faith not the Lotto.

chimpanzee
The best arguments for Papal supremacy point to a particular role for Peter among the Apostles and then having "upon this rock" carry a ton of weight to back into why the Pope has the power that the RCC claims that he does.

The inheritance of Peter's special role by his successors and that special role's persistence through individuals clearly unfit to lead anything isn't supported even that well. The logic I have heard typically relies upon it being a necessity to have a "final say" arbiter of controversy/disagreement, never mind that Peter didn't always play that role when he was alive, nor did the Bishop of Rome during the patristic era. In the fullness of time, the Holy Spirit is seen to correct the Church's path that may have been led astray by poor leadership.

How the final reliance on the Holy Spirit is functionally different from the Orthodox (or perhaps other Nicene affirming denominations') position I'm not sure, nor do the faithful have any assurance that the guy in the chair at any given point isn't going to dig up one of his predecessors' corpses and cut off it's fingers.

The role of Pope as a servant of servants makes some compelling organizational sense, that is, to facilitate among his fellow Bishops in their shepherding. Given the centuries of monarchical, political, and financial power wielded by the office, it strains credulity to say that the Church should put up with all the downsides of those dynamics to have some assurance of doctrinal clarity facilitated by the successor of Peter, as it so happened to play out through saints, scoundrels, schisms. and functionaries of varying levels of competence.
chimpanzee
Zobel said:

A critical aspect of church authority that wasn't defined until 1870? And wasn't used except in 1854 and 1950? Whatever did we do for the previous centuries?

As well, how was it used the two times that it was invoked?

Was it to affirm the real presence in the Eucharist, stamp out some emerging heresy, define more clearly the nature of the Trinity?

No, it was invoked to mandate belief in specificities of Mary's sinless nature and her departure from this world.

These may be more historically and traditionally sound than my superficial research has discovered, but they don't seem to me to point to anything considered or expounded upon at length historically to justify the necessity of the belief. I have no problem if they are true, but only God knows if they are for certain. Further, you would have to grind pretty hard on the subject to ascertain specific implications of these beliefs, but they were important enough to put up there with the filioque? (*wink*)

I looked to see what St. Thomas Aquinas had to say on the subject and ran across this article. The quotation below has a nice "goal seek" meets No True Scotsman feel to it.

Quote:

Aquinas only denied all erroneous definitions of "immaculate conception" and simply never considered as a possibility the one that was eventually proclaimed a dogma.

Aquinas doesn't strike me as the sort of fellow that would ignore a required belief for the faithful while also talking around the specific subject literally eight different ways.
AgLiving06
Good interview with Cardinal Raymond Burke, Prefect Emeritus of the Apostolic Signatura on IssuesEtc today.

Interview

He clearly isn't a fan of Pope Francis sharing his personal thoughts with the media.
PabloSerna
AG
Keep reading Aquinas, it is worth it!

Just remember that even he understood that what he was writing, "was like straw" compared to the "lumen gloria - a mystical insight" God blessed him to experience just months before he passed away.

So even he knew there was more, much more to God than he could ever capture in words.
Zobel
AG
Did you really just respond about a required core belief with "well Aquinas didn't know everything" ?
chimpanzee
PabloSerna said:

Keep reading Aquinas, it is worth it!

Just remember that even he understood that what he was writing, "was like straw" compared to the "lumen gloria - a mystical insight" God blessed him to experience just months before he passed away.

So even he knew there was more, much more to God than he could ever capture in words.
You surely know what Aquinas heard of his writings during his mystical experiences.

The dude would not have missed an opportunity to explain something important; that was his life's work that he was uniquely motivated and gifted to deliver. Among the things he explained is how we can not know the nature of God, he was quite thorough there.

Had unchanging tradition understood that our membership in the Body of Christ required belief in a simple binary choice of how precisely sin factored into Mary's conception, I think Aquinas would have mentioned it when talking about eight different ways sin was involved in Mary's conception. Unless it was a novel idea created later.

AgLiving06
Kinda gives way to the belief that Roman Catholics teach the faith handed down from the Apostles doesn't it?
chimpanzee
AgLiving06 said:

Kinda gives way to the belief that Roman Catholics teach the faith handed down from the Apostles doesn't it?

Certainly, though many in good faith think that they are doing just that, the mental gymnastics required to justify the position when specific examples are cited is telling to those not predisposed to mentally shut down if offered the slightest avenue to go back to the party line.

The link I posted above literally stated that Aquinas talked around how sin was or wasn't involved in Mary's conception eight different ways, but he simply didn't consider what was later pronounced as dogma by the Infallible Pontiff.

Catholic apologists do a lot of good work explaining away much of the secular and Protestant misconceptions about the faith, but there are blind spots that they won't acknowledge when pressed, much of it around the Papacy, and that's no coincidence.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.