What was I thinking? By Steve Brown

1,714 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Patriot101
Patriot4301
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://internetmonk.com/archive/recommendation-what-was-i-thinking-by-steve-brown

Great read.
Patriot4301
The book is an interesting take on our individual journeys in the Christian faith.
dermdoc
AG
Patriot4301 said:

The book is an interesting take on our individual journeys in the Christian faith.
Down loaded it to my kindle. Thanks.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
94chem
That book is from 2006, FYI.
dermdoc
AG
Brown and I think a lot alike.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
Finished reading it and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Patriot101
It's a great book for those of us reforming, especially.
dermdoc
AG
Patriot101 said:

Gives me faith for the Reformed church.

Not a fan of Piper, MacArthur, or Chan. They seem very condemning and judgemental to me.
diehard03
Quote:

Not a fan of Piper, MacArthur, or Chan. They seem very condemning and judgmental to me.

This will always be the impression, as we are already condemned in our sin.
dermdoc
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Not a fan of Piper, MacArthur, or Chan. They seem very condemning and judgmental to me.

Sure. But no longer. We are regenerate, redeemed, and appear holy to God because of the blood of Jesus.

I always think of Paul's sermon on Mars Hill as what I would like to hear more often.
diehard03
Quote:

I always think of Paul's sermon on Mars Hill as what I would like to hear more often.

You'll have to explain that more. This sermon is calling out idolatry, placing God (and us) in the rightful place, calling for repentance and warning of upcoming judgement.

You might call Paul judgmental, it seems.
dermdoc
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

You'll have to explain that more. This sermon is calling out idolatry, placing God (and us) in the rightful place, calling for repentance and warning of upcoming judgement.

You might call Paul judgmental, it seems.
Paul's tone was totally different than what you hear from those three pastors imho.
Patriot101
dermdoc said:

Patriot101 said:

Not a fan of Piper, MacArthur, or Chan. They seem very condemning and judgemental to me.

You bet they need to read it.
UTExan
dermdoc said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

Sure. But no longer. We are regenerate, redeemed, and appear holy to God because of the blood of Jesus.

That was Wesley's answer to the Calvinists of his day.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Patriot101
Okay
diehard03
Quote:

Paul's tone was totally different than what you hear from those three pastors imho.

I'm confused on how you are coming to this assessment. This is the same Paul that had no issue confronting people, writing scathing admonitions to several churches and would certainly be considered judgmental by today's society's standards.
Patriot101
So Derm, what was a take away from the book for you?
Patriot101
I liked how he stated that people weren't as bad as he thought they were nor as good as he thought they were either.
dermdoc
AG
I liked how genuine he was.
dermdoc
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I'm confused on how you are coming to this assessment. This is the same Paul that had no issue confronting people, writing scathing admonitions to several churches and would certainly be considered judgmental by today's society's standards.
When I read Paul I do not feel condemnation like I do when I hear or read those three Calvinist preachers I mentioned.

Probably just me.
Patriot101
^^ YouTube

Tim Keller
Sinclair Ferguson

They're on a different level that you would like.
diehard03
Yeah, Kellers so good about bring truth and grace that he gets flack from his own kind more than elsewhere.
Patriot101
diehard03 said:

Yeah, Kellers so good about bring truth and grace that he gets flack from his own kind more than elsewhere.

Yeah well...Each part of the body is needed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.