New Encyclical from Pope Francis

4,167 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ulrich
PabloSerna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fratelli tutti issued on October 3rd.

Starting to read my way through the document and will post some highlights for discussion. One that has already caught my attention is his exposition on the parable of the Good Samaritan (chapter 2) ... boom! Relates this to immigration and fiscal policy.

+pablo

Serotonin
AG
I actually started reading this last night.

The question that came to mind after about 10 minutes of reading is what differences, if any, you might find in this document vs what might have been written by progressive Protestant clergy in 1960 or secular humanists today. Or, to state it a different way, what makes this document Catholic and not Progressive or Protestant or Humanist?

And FYI I don't mean that in a pejorative way, it is just interesting to note the alignment.

http://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/encyclicals/documents/papa-francesco_20201003_enciclica-fratelli-tutti.html
UTExan
There really doesn't seem to be much difference between the Pope and liberal Protestant theologians in terms of their central epistemology. He sure seems to expect a lot from secular governments instead of expecting Christians to step up humanitarian efforts.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
747Ag
AG
Word Cloud of FRATELLI TUTTI... Our Blessed Lord's name is mentioned 33 times out of 43000+ words. What are the two greatest commandments again?

747Ag
AG
I'm over the the knee-jerk reaction, "I've got to read the latest thing the pope's put out." It has given way to the sanity of "study the perennial Catholic Faith and live it, regardless of what the folks at the Vatican may be up to."
jkag89
Have not read Fratelli Tutti as of yet, essay on the encyclical:

Breathing Fire
by Robert Royal - The Catholic Thing
diehard03
Quote:

Word Cloud of FRATELLI TUTTI... Our Blessed Lord's name is mentioned 33 times out of 43000+ words. What are the two greatest commandments again?

It's your faith and your business but if this is the critique of something my pastor put out, I would caution myself that he's trying to instruct something that's lacking.

I would say our current cultural climate is highlighting how much we are not loving our neighbors as ourselves.
Stymied
AG
jkag89 said:

Have not read Fratelli Tutti as of yet, essay on the encyclical:

Breathing Fire
by Robert Royal - The Catholic Thing
I admit that I have only skimmed the encyclical so far. The Breathing Fire article pretty well sums up my first impressions though.

While I can get my head around many of the "aspirations" that the Pope is calling for, the entire encyclical comes off as entirely naive and utopian. While I think that is a great personal position for Catholics as we should aspire to live our own personal lives in that noble way, he seems to imply multiple times that he wants civil society "force" these justices on the world.

An example:

Quote:

109. Some people are born into economically stable families, receive a fine education, grow up well nourished, or naturally possess great talent. They will certainly not need a proactive state; they need only claim their freedom. Yet the same rule clearly does not apply to a disabled person, to someone born in dire poverty, to those lacking a good education and with little access to adequate health care. If a society is governed primarily by the criteria of market freedom and efficiency, there is no place for such persons, and fraternity will remain just another vague ideal.

110. Indeed, "to claim economic freedom while real conditions bar many people from actual access to it, and while possibilities for employment continue to shrink, is to practise doublespeak". Words like freedom, democracy or fraternity prove meaningless, for the fact is that "only when our economic and social system no longer produces even a single victim, a single person cast aside, will we be able to celebrate the feast of universal fraternity". A truly human and fraternal society will be capable of ensuring in an efficient and stable way that each of its members is accompanied at every stage of life. Not only by providing for their basic needs, but by enabling them to give the best of themselves, even though their performance may be less than optimum, their pace slow or their efficiency limited.

These entire two paragraphs scream utopian communism. The encyclical basically implies that personal liberty and individualism should be subjugated so that we can fulfill these utopian goals. However, what the Pope fails to call out, is that these goals are unobtainable until Jesus returns. There will always be the 7 deadly sins and to suggest that society can "evolve" by ourselves to a state without sin suggests that we don't need Jesus to complete the journey.

I'd be OK with the Pope's vision of governmental control if God was in the seat of power. That's not the case though and will not be until Jesus returns. Until he does though, these utopian goals are not achievable through human "evolution". Until He returns, I'll take individual liberty over civil enforcement of "Utopia".
747Ag
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

It's your faith and your business but if this is the critique of something my pastor put out, I would caution myself that he's trying to instruct something that's lacking.

I would say our current cultural climate is highlighting how much we are not loving our neighbors as ourselves.

Valid point. However, it's a general trend in our church leadership, save for a few examples. Moreover, looking at the culture around me, I can't help but think that our leadership has inverted these two commandments. Looking at the culture around me, looking at the Church, and looking at myself... I wonder how many people know Him and love Him with their heart, mind, and soul. The second flows from the first, not the other way around. So, I see a trend of a declining Church with emphases on environmentalism, anti-racism, and solidarity with the vulnerable, with rarely a peep about being a disciple of Jesus Christ.
Zobel
AG
Quote:

only when our economic and social system no longer produces even a single victim, a single person cast aside, will we be able to celebrate the feast of universal fraternity

Yikes. I thought the feast of universal fraternity was celebrated every day at the altar.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Zobel said:

Quote:

only when our economic and social system no longer produces even a single victim, a single person cast aside, will we be able to celebrate the feast of universal fraternity

Yikes. I thought the feast of universal fraternity was celebrated every day at the altar.

Is this a quote from the encyclical? What utter communist drivel.
FalconAg06
The modern church has embraced the corporal works of mercy and it practically ends there.

No need for conversion, repentance, mortification, abstinence, etc etc.

We've become a world-wide rotary club
UTExan
FalconAg06 said:

The modern church has embraced the corporal works of mercy and it practically ends there.

Same for Protestants, unfortunately.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
I've already read the Communist Manifesto. Can I really expect much in this case from Francis that I haven't read there or in the NYT?
Pet Sounds
AG
Hit the nail on the head. This is why I believe Protestants and Catholics have to stick together and put aside our differences. We've been under such constant attack by the secular world, pastors/clergy within our own ranks are starting to come out of the woodwork comfortably in its favor....
Crocker91
AG
Quote:

Qualify with saying I haven't read the document. With that acknowledged, the pope has been focusing a lot lately on how the world is corrupting the fundamental truths of what it means to be human. Thus, the fact that "human" is the most prominent word is not necessarily a bad thing or a sign of failure to witness.

I would refer you to several articles and talks from Bishop Barron on this: it is not possible to love God unless we love what he created--i.e., our incredibly flawed and failure-prone human brothers and sisters. Francis Cardinal George said: "It is impossible to evangelize something unless you love it." So, if you hate and detest all elements of the culture, you will not be able to witness Christ crucified and risen to it. Dig in, pray, and find the evidence of the working of the Holy Spirit. Even if mankind turned away completely and willingly, God would remain faithful.

And, with charity, try not to be like most of us who consider ourselves orthodox Catholic who act remarkably spoiled. We had an apostolic, prophetic witness in the barque of Peter in St. John Paul--truly, "a pope from Galilee." Now, we have a less talented, more limited shepherd. Pray for him--for wisdom, courage, strength, and holiness. And pray that we call gain a deeper appreciation for the extraordinary blessings in certain moments rather than constantly demanding more, more, more. That command from humans seems like an inappropriate attitude with which to approach the God who is Being and Goodness itself.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Maybe this is just my bias, but does anyone find this Pope to be particularly obsessed with the United States specifically? For someone who is the global leader of Catholocism and understood by some to be the global leader of Christianity, this Pope seems entirely focused on the US. His encyclicals seem targeted to Americans primarily and to a lesser extent the Catholics of Western Europe.

Now I'm as quick to criticize the US as anyone, but on a relative scale we are light years ahead of most of the world when it comes to standard of living, charitable giving, and human rights. Seems like an odd choice given the struggles of Christianity on a global scale
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
747Ag
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Maybe this is just my bias, but does anyone find this Pope to be particularly obsessed with the United States specifically? For someone who is the global leader of Catholocism and understood by some to be the global leader of Christianity, this Pope seems entirely focused on the US. His encyclicals seem targeted to Americans primarily and to a lesser extent the Catholics of Western Europe.

Now I'm as quick to criticize the US as anyone, but on a relative scale we are light years ahead of most of the world when it comes to standard of living, charitable giving, and human rights. Seems like an odd choice given the struggles of Christianity on a global scale
I find the Holy Father to be obsessed with the USA.
PabloSerna
AG
XUSCR said:

I've already read the Communist Manifesto. Can I really expect much in this case from Francis that I haven't read there or in the NYT?
Can't even call him Pope Francis, I see.

I read the same letter and came away with a much different understanding.

PabloSerna
AG
FalconAg06 said:

Yes - he gives a particular extended example with the Good Samaritan. Talk is cheap.

PabloSerna
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Zobel said:

Quote:

For me personally - I read this as a confirmation of what I have come to understand through my faith formation since the mid-90's. It is about the whole person, the whole garment, going farther by sharing our talent, time, and treasure. So many just go through the motions but will not really "give" from their heart.

Does God not want the same? That we are all each other's keeper.

This is not a communist ideal - but a Godly vision of heaven on earth. I guess for some, they just say it as part of the Our Father, but for me, it rings hollow to say "thy will be done" then support leaders that say "America First."

I always thought that was the dead give away for many, when we know Jesus would not say the same words.

It's a deep dive for sure into hypocrisy. He spends a good about of time on the parable of the Good Samaritan. If that challenges your world view - it should.

Ol_Ag_02
AG
PabloSerna said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Zobel said:

Quote:

For me personally - I read this as a confirmation of what I have come to understand through my faith formation since the mid-90's. It is about the whole person, the whole garment, going farther by sharing our talent, time, and treasure. So many just go through the motions but will not really "give" from their heart.

Does God not want the same? That we are all each other's keeper.

This is not a communist ideal - but a Godly vision of heaven on earth. I guess for some, they just say it as part of the Our Father, but for me, it rings hollow to say "thy will be done" then support leaders that say "America First."

I always thought that was the dead give away for many, when we know Jesus would not say the same words.

It's a deep dive for sure into hypocrisy. He spends a good about of time on the parable of the Good Samaritan. If that challenges your world view - it should.

If it came from the mouths of Mao, Stalin, Lenin, or Castro you wouldn't be praising it. It's Communist trash, and only leads to a race to the bottom where we can all be equally hungry, cold, and poor.

Obvious goal tending is obvious.
Ag4coal
I have yet to read the whole thing, but I've seen excerpts taking a shot on private property, free markets, American culture, etc. I'm hoping that my full read will lead me to see what you see, Pablo. I have my reservations right now
americathegreat1492
Having read a few encyclicals by different popes over the years, I would wish for them to stop writing these things the way they do. So often they make claim after claim without supporting argument or evidence.
FalconAg06
I give the popes the benefit of the doubt. They speak to the way things should be, even if they are impractical.

I personally hate capitalism, reducing the worth of a worker to their efficiency is absolutely contrary to Catholic teaching.

I have found no other economic model that works. It seems the best we can hope for is a market oriented economy with a large safety net.
Zobel
AG
Capitalism is freedom. It is simply allowing individuals to determine for themselves the value of their own time. It has nothing to do with reducing a persons value to efficiency.
UTExan
Zobel said:

Capitalism is freedom. It is simply allowing individuals to determine for themselves the value of their own time. It has nothing to do with reducing a persons value to efficiency.
Very underrated post.
americathegreat1492
The brokenness in our culture is not a matter of economic or political systems. The problem is metaphysical. Dicking around with wealth distribution or legal rights is completely wrong-headed.
Zobel
AG
+infinity

FalconAg06
Zobel said:

The devil is always in the details. No manner of theory of market efficiencies can morally justify the manner in which Ebenezer Scrooge treats Bob Cratchit. I understand the academic argument for paying people in dangerous working conditions pennies an hour and selling the fruit of their labor for 900% profit, but a moral case cannot be made, regardless of whether they wouldn't do the job if it wasn't beneficial to them.

Selling a glass of water to a man who is dying of dehydration for the sum of his life savings may ensure that scarce resources are allocated to where they're needed most, but it's avarice, regardless of what Adam Smith has to say.

I do agree that this line of thinking is more of a symptom of what ails us than the cause, but it is important none the less.
Zobel
AG
You're mixing at matching. Writ large, individual freedom to make decisions is not only the best way to allocate resources, it is also the only way that doesn't carry moral hazards.

It is just as wrong for a person to extort someone - if indeed that's what we want to call it - as it is to forcibly take from one to give to another. The cure for greed is not confiscation, it's charity.

Governments cannot have charity, because they have nothing to give that is their own.
FalconAg06
Zobel said:

You're mixing at matching. Writ large, individual freedom to make decisions is not only the best way to allocate resources, it is also the only way that doesn't carry moral hazards.

It is just as wrong for a person to extort someone - if indeed that's what we want to call it - as it is to forcibly take from one to give to another. The cure for greed is not confiscation, it's charity.

Governments cannot have charity, because they have nothing to give that is their own.

I disagree, but its an unpopular stance to take post enlightenment. I think we've become too atomized, with too much emphasis placed on individualism at the expense of communal sacrifice. Society is oriented to the family, a nation should be a family of families, with a father figure at the head, whether a king or president.

I do not believe it unjust or immoral to demand sacrifice of one for the benefit of another, within reason.

I would much rather live in a Conservative socialist society than a Progressive Capitalist society.
Zobel
AG
Well, that's dumb.
FalconAg06
Zobel said:

Well, that's dumb.
Zobel
AG
Sorry I just don't have enough interest to overcome Brandolini's law.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.