Buddhism

2,675 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DirtDiver
Warbledwrassler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I realize in many ways, this is a Christianity forum. I respect that, but not sure where else to turn. I am not a Christian. I don't doubt the possibility of God and Christ as his son. I won't say that didn't happen..my problem is that I don't. (And never have) believe in that. If I'm wrong I don't think God would strike me down because I've endeavored to be a good Christian believer for pretty much my whole life, but I've always been drawn to eastern religions and spirituality.

I read A LOT and not sure that I am at the point that I'm willing to go 100% into Buddhism, but I need some sort of human interaction in this regard. Presently, all I have is maybe a subreddit (which is mostly people trying to be smarter than the others and saying that their beliefs are wrong) and books I've got no community. To be honest, BCS is a wasteland if you're not a Christian.

This was a roundabout way of asking whether anyone knows of any resources in BCS relating to a Buddhism or eastern religions.

I'm really struggling with meaning and need some help. I respectfully ask that if you have a response that involves Christianity to please keep it to yourself -not because I have anything against it, but it's just not right for me.

TIA
Zobel
AG
What about Eastern Christianity?
Warbledwrassler
We have Greek Orthodox in my family. Respectfully, no..not in the cards.
Zobel
AG
Just being annoying.

Good luck in your search, sorry I don't have any help to offer.

If you don't mind my asking, would you say this is more of a religious search, or a philosophical one?
Warbledwrassler
That's a very good question! I don't know the answer. I guess I'm looking for meaning and answers...
ramblin_ag02
AG
I'm certainly no expert, and it's hard to generalize major world religions due to the insane amount of variation in practice. Indian "original" Buddhism is different from Confucian/Daoist Chinese Buddhism is different from rigid Thai Buddhism is different from Tibetan mystical Chan Buddhism is different than Japanese Zen Buddhism, and there is a ton of variation among those groups and many other smaller groups across the world with different influences.

I'm Christian, and I unfailingly end up judging other religions by Christian precepts. Interestingly, you can find people pretty much everywhere in any religion practicing Christ-like behavior. For instance, perhaps the main tenet of Buddhism is non-attachment. To them, attachment is a source of suffering. Think about an overly possessive husband. His overattachment causes suffering to his wife, causes him anxiety and suffering, and when she leaves or dies causes him even more suffering. So there's this whole idea of attachment causing the attacher and the attachee suffering, not to mention the inevitable suffering caused by loss. From a Christian perspective, this is reminiscent of Jesus saying to be in the world but not of the world, or when he says that anyone who doesn't hate his own family is not worthy of Him.

But the whole non-attachment thing could go either way. It can lead to a very nihilistic world view where nothing matters, nothing is important, and there is no point to doing anything. Or it can be a freeing world view that allows for a complete commitment to goodness without hindrance, similar to Paul's exhortations. Another example, this time of a beggar. On one hand, if you have no attachment to your own money or home then you can freely share these. On the other, if you are completely non-attached to the world and the people in it, then you will ignore that person and walk right by.

Again, as a Christian I'd recommend taking the ideals of selfless love, charity, compassion, and hope with you into whatever religion you're looking into. You'll find those concepts in every religion, but you'll find a lot of other more negative or sometimes just arbitrary things in them and even in Christianity.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Warbledwrassler
That was pretty amazing.
americathegreat1492
If you're feeling like things don't matter I know exactly what that's like. I was raised Christian and rejected it as a young adult because it was totally irrational and not evidence based. Fell down a hole of pleasure-seeking and pain avoidance behavior. Eventually started meditating (using Ramana Maharashi's self-inquiry) because I thought it might help me feel better. Eventually tried out a lot of other eastern meditative practices like yoga, vipassana, metta, breath-control, etc. I did feel better during and after meditation in a way so profound that it's difficult to put into words. It also did absolutely nothing to solve what was in essence an existential dilemma. What did end up working was embracing what I had learned from meditation about the nature of what properly constitutes evidence and testing the waters of a complete belief system in the form of a religion. A complete belief system is not one that contains merely propositional knowledge, but one that also contains procedural and perspectival knowledge. I found that in Eastern Orthodoxy. This is all backwards looking, though, and at the time I definitely felt like I was groping in the dark. The primary people that helped me navigate that path were Jordan Peterson, John Vervaeke, and Zobel (not necessarily in that order). JP and JV both have youtube channels and I highly recommend Peterson's Maps of Meaning series and anything from Vervaeke. You might find Vervaeke's Awakening from the Meaning Crisis to be particularly relevant at this time. Peterson is a Clinical Psychologist and Vervaeke is a Cognitive Scientist. The latter talks a lot about Buddhism and meditative practices. Their respective channels are linked below.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JordanPetersonVideos

https://www.youtube.com/user/johnvervaeke
dermdoc
AG

I deleted my posts after reading through your entire post as you specifically asked for no Christian input.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zobel
AG
Meaning and answers sounds more like religion and less line philosophy to me. I just asked because there's a lot of folks who want the practical application of Buddhism without the religious - that what vs the why.
dermdoc
AG
dermdoc
AG
Warbledwrassler
I didn't think anything bad about it and it was good to read!
dermdoc
AG
Thanks
Zobel
AG
To follow up, I mean trying to be totally rational or outcome oriented, I suppose the type of Buddhism (or anything else, really) you need to look for would be informed by what you want to get out of it.

Is it to live a more effective, happy, better life by ((whatever standard goes here))? Because you can do that and derive a sense of satisfaction without achieving or wanting understanding of a larger sense of purpose. That larger sense of purpose might well make you unhappy! I'd call that philosophy, very pragmatic, very personal.

Or is what you want to achieve that idea of meaning or understanding, both of yourself and the world around you? Because while those two may sometimes align, sometimes they also do not. You might find that a relentless search for the truth results in a life which is completely incompatible with most people's standards of the good life. Or you might find that a sense of larger purpose makes the pragmatic gains which philosophy may offer look empty and temporary.
Warbledwrassler
Maybe I misspoke. Perhaps I don't know what I'm looking for. I think I'm looking for perspective.
Sub4
AG
Hopefully, this doesn't go too far as advice. But I think wholeheartedly it would be helpful to find a knowledgeable person to talk to on each of the religions you are interested in and not interested in. However, it is inevitable that you are dealing with mutually exclusive truths, even within Eastern Religion so at some point you will have to take as an objective approach to truth as possible.

To what extent do you think your feelings are a barometer for truth? I urger you exercise caution and to try to recognize that in your search, and understand your biases. Sometimes we can be stuck on how things make us feel or how we think things ought to be rather than objectively searching what really is.

DirtDiver
Some people who pursue religious experiences and relationships do so by sacrificing objective truth. Many religions offer this however do not offer truth (they all cannot be right at the same time).

Have you considered doing a truth search vs an experience based approach?

Atheism and Buddhism = no God
Hinduism many Gods
Islam - 1 God - Jesus was not God
Christianity = 1 God in 3 persons. Jesus claimed to be God.

Which ever option you land on, you must conclude that the 3/4 of the remaining options are wrong. (well aware that there are other options out there).
PascalsWager
AG
In my opinion its extremely difficult for westerners to grasp eastern religions. All white people in America are cultural Christians. In fact I'd go so far as to suggest all Americans are cultural Christians to some degree. Its hard to get out of the Abrahamic mindset when analyzing other religions.

For an Indian Hindu like me, when I talk about the west I don't mean merely white Christendom. My people's interactions with Abrahamic faiths came in the form of Islam. After 900 years of battling we still seem to not understand each other. Part of the problem is that they put the label of "Hindu" upon us. They thought we're Muslim so you people must be something too. Well its more complicated than having a singular founder with a singular path that asks specific things of you. We took on the label of "hindu" to band together protect our culture and our way of life. But the principles of pluralism remained.

"Truth is one, but the sages call it by many names."
This is a Hindu idea from the Rigveda but important to understand all eastern religion in the Dharmic tradition like Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism. The direct and obvious point is that we don't have multiple gods, but different interpretations of a singular God. The thousands of images of "Hindu" gods you see are just representations of the whole one God that people use for themselves on their own spiritual path. It could be ANYTHING from a cobra to a sofa (I've never seen this but it would be funny); doesn't have to be humanoid or even living.
The larger message to take though is that we don't claim that our way is the only way to achieve realization or heaven or nirvana or whatever you want to call it. We are non-proselytizing religions. Not like Jewish folks who don't proselytize but call themselves the chosen ones. We don't proselytize because that doesn't make any sense. You can't convert to Hinduism. There's no ceremony there's no way of doing it because conversion doesn't make sense. In Hinduism you can live a good Christian life and achieve all your spiritual goals while staying in your tradition; we're all elated for you. The only fundamental difference we have is that you see a singular path to getting there while we see millions.

All that to say I've studied all of the Dharmic faiths including Buddhism. If you'd like to have a discussion here, I'd be happy to engage. Point out what you're reading and I will do the same! I want to get back to studying religions and this is a good opportunity.
I've studied Christianity too. I'm married to a white (only reason it needs to be said is to explain that she's not an Indian Christian which is a little different) Catholic girl. But lurking on this board, I know others have far better knowledge.

By BCS I think you're talking about Bryan College Station. And if you are, you have the resources of one of the world's greatest universities. And since you're a Texas Taxpayer, you should go peruse the religion section on Buddhism at Evans! I spent some time in college reading philosophers and religions at A&M. Learned a lot and wish I would've spent more time doing so instead of wasting it in other ways!

Final thought is that this isn't a Christianity board. The people here are welcoming of discussions of other religions. See the responses to this post! Its just no one else has taken the initiative to start a thread like you! If anyone else has made it this far down this long post and has any questions of Hinduism, or Sikhism, or Jainism you can ask me here. And if there's more demand I'll start an AMA.

Thanks for posting this!
dermdoc
AG
PascalsWager said:

In my opinion its extremely difficult for westerners to grasp eastern religions. All white people in America are cultural Christians. In fact I'd go so far as to suggest all Americans are cultural Christians to some degree. Its hard to get out of the Abrahamic mindset when analyzing other religions.

For an Indian Hindu like me, when I talk about the west I don't mean merely white Christendom. My people's interactions with Abrahamic faiths came in the form of Islam. After 900 years of battling we still seem to not understand each other. Part of the problem is that they put the label of "Hindu" upon us. They thought we're Muslim so you people must be something too. Well its more complicated than having a singular founder with a singular path that asks specific things of you. We took on the label of "hindu" to band together protect our culture and our way of life. But the principles of pluralism remained.

"Truth is one, but the sages call it by many names."
This is a Hindu idea from the Rigveda but important to understand all eastern religion in the Dharmic tradition like Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism. The direct and obvious point is that we don't have multiple gods, but different interpretations of a singular God. The thousands of images of "Hindu" gods you see are just representations of the whole one God that people use for themselves on their own spiritual path. It could be ANYTHING from a cobra to a sofa (I've never seen this but it would be funny); doesn't have to be humanoid or even living.
The larger message to take though is that we don't claim that our way is the only way to achieve realization or heaven or nirvana or whatever you want to call it. We are non-proselytizing religions. Not like Jewish folks who don't proselytize but call themselves the chosen ones. We don't proselytize because that doesn't make any sense. You can't convert to Hinduism. There's no ceremony there's no way of doing it because conversion doesn't make sense. In Hinduism you can live a good Christian life and achieve all your spiritual goals while staying in your tradition; we're all elated for you. The only fundamental difference we have is that you see a singular path to getting there while we see millions.

All that to say I've studied all of the Dharmic faiths including Buddhism. If you'd like to have a discussion here, I'd be happy to engage. Point out what you're reading and I will do the same! I want to get back to studying religions and this is a good opportunity.
I've studied Christianity too. I'm married to a white (only reason it needs to be said is to explain that she's not an Indian Christian which is a little different) Catholic girl. But lurking on this board, I know others have far better knowledge.

By BCS I think you're talking about Bryan College Station. And if you are, you have the resources of one of the world's greatest universities. And since you're a Texas Taxpayer, you should go peruse the religion section on Buddhism at Evans! I spent some time in college reading philosophers and religions at A&M. Learned a lot and wish I would've spent more time doing so instead of wasting it in other ways!

Final thought is that this isn't a Christianity board. The people here are welcoming of discussions of other religions. See the responses to this post! Its just no one else has taken the initiative to start a thread like you! If anyone else has made it this far down this long post and has any questions of Hinduism, or Sikhism, or Jainism you can ask me here. And if there's more demand I'll start an AMA.

Thanks for posting this!

Thanks for the great post!
Jayhawk
Warbledwrassler said:

That's a very good question! I don't know the answer. I guess I'm looking for meaning and answers...
The core tenets of Buddhism (the four noble truths and the eight fold path) are found in the pre-Christian Western philosophical tradition, obviously with different nomenclature. Neo-Platonism and classical Stoicism are largely the same teachings at their roots. The metaphysical aspects of Buddhism , the multi-level afterlifes and the gradation of beings etc reflect the Hindu origins of the religion. But if what you are after is a way to manfully cope with the sufferings of life, then stoicism and neo-Platonism will, in my opinion, allow you to reap the same benefits and a whole lot faster than pursuing Buddhism, which is nearly impenetrable given the difficulty of meaningfully translating the Uppanashads and the Pali canon into any western tongue.

Lastly, I would encourage you to ask yourself why you are consciously open to all metaphysical pursuits save Christianity. I hope you will not abandon the hope that exists in Christ. Faith is an act of the will, not a feeling, and true wisdom and saintliness can coexist with the most severe doubt, if you set your will on it. Read The Cloud of Unknowing , I suspect you will not be disappointed. It was written by a 13th (I think) century English monk inspired by the teachings of Dionysus the Areopagite, and it incorporates an essentially Neo-Platonist (and by extension Eastern) conception of reality into the pursuit of Christ.
Serotonin
AG
DirtDiver said:

Which ever option you land on, you must conclude that the 3/4 of the remaining options are wrong. (well aware that there are other options out there).
I think this is an overly binary way of looking at things (although it seems that many atheists and fundamentalists would agree with you).

I personally believe that Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life.

But I also believe that there is truth to be found in the Tao Te Ching, the Dhammapada, Man's Search for Meaning, or even a contemporary self-help book like 12 Rules for Life.

////////////

Let me give three quotes to illustrate...

1. The Dhammapada begins with the 'Twin Verses' which demonstrate a correct approach and a parallel incorrect approach:
Quote:

1. All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him, as the wheel follows the foot of the ox that draws the carriage.

2. All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him. Link

2. The Orthodox monk Elder Thaddeus of Serbia:
Quote:

Our life depends on the kind of thoughts we nurture. If our thoughts are peaceful, calm, meek, and kind, then that is what our life is like. If our attention is turned to the circumstances in which we live, we are drawn into a whirlpool of thoughts and can have neither peace nor tranquility. Link

Did this humble monk have access to a copy of the Dhammapada? Did he pick up this spiritual knowledge through his own struggles? Did his spiritual elder teach him this?

3. The Orthodox monk Elder Ephraim of Arizona:
Quote:

The father say, "If we desire to bring peace to ourselves by trying to reconcile [ie fix] others, we shall never have peace." That is, if we want to derive peace from others becoming peaceful, we shall not be at peace. So a person must find peace within himself, internally. "Make peace within yourself," says Abba Isaac, "and then heaven and earth will make peace with you." Link

The point is that they are all speak substantially the same truth on this spiritual advice. One does not have to be wrong for the other to be right, at least on the micro scale.
Star Wars Memes Only
PascalsWager said:

For an Indian Hindu like me, when I talk about the west I don't mean merely white Christendom. <SNIP>

If I wanted to learn more about Hinduism, as someone who is more or less totally an outsider, where should I start?
cohibasymas
AG
I'd consider myself a secular Buddhist.

Buddhism is more something you practice rather than something you believe. At the end of the day, all forms of Buddhism teach a path to more personal freedom, that you have to discover for yourself. Who couldn't use more of that, regardless of your faith background (or lack thereof)?

The Dalai Lama is often quoted (it's actually a bit of a misquote, but there's still truth in it) as saying "do not use what you learn from Buddhism to become a Buddhist. Use it to become a better whatever you already are."

An excellent resource that helped me a ton was (still is) Noah Rasheta's Secular Buddhism podcast (recommend listening in order). First five episodes give you a brief overview of the concepts. Could also point you to dozens of books and other resources, online communities (sanghas, etc.).

My practice has enriched my life in many ways, and I'm a better person for it. Happy to discuss further in a completely non-pushy way if you're ever interested.
DirtDiver

Quote:

The direct and obvious point is that we don't have multiple gods, but different interpretations of a singular God. The thousands of images of "Hindu" gods you see are just representations of the whole one God that people use for themselves on their own spiritual path. It could be ANYTHING from a cobra to a sofa (I've never seen this but it would be funny); doesn't have to be humanoid or even living.

This is the first time I've heard someone claim Hinduism is a monotheistic religion.
What is the nature of this one God and how would you conclude that he/she approves of a person bowing down to a Cobra or Sofa?

Quote:

In Hinduism you can live a good Christian life and achieve all your spiritual goals while staying in your tradition; we're all elated for you

In Hinduism you may be able to live in agreement with a few Christian principles such as do not murder, steal, or steal however this claim is false because you break the 1st commandment of the famous 10 commandments.

4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. Exodus 20

I've broken these commandments as well which establishes my need for God's forgiveness found in Jesus.
Star Wars Memes Only
DirtDiver said:

This is the first time I've heard someone claim Hinduism is a monotheistic religion.

I think this is a fairly common claim about Hinduism from Hindus, at leas the Hindus I've been around.
PascalsWager
AG
dargscisyhp said:

PascalsWager said:

For an Indian Hindu like me, when I talk about the west I don't mean merely white Christendom. <SNIP>

If I wanted to learn more about Hinduism, as someone who is more or less totally an outsider, where should I start?
I reached out to a friend of mine who is an academic and he suggested reading Indian Philosophy by Richard King

That book covers what we'd classify as "Hinduism" as well original Indian Buddhism.
PascalsWager
AG
DirtDiver said:

What is the nature of this one God and how would you conclude that he/she approves of a person bowing down to a Cobra or Sofa?
For the record I'm using Hinduism and Indian Philosophy interchangeably because they are the same.

Anyone claiming that Hinduism is a polytheistic religion has a surface level understanding of its ideas. God neither has human emotions nor does it want anything from us. At best when asked, those who claim to have achieved realization can deny what God is. They say: Neti, Neti which is sanskrit for not that, not that. However, we believe that in order to make spiritual progress we should worship. A "God" only described by what its not, poses a challenge here. We attribute forms to God for OUR sakes not God's command. The vast majority imagine God in a anthropomorphized form.

I would go so far to suggest that great majority of mainstream Indian Hindus aren't merely monotheist, they're outright monists. But this is going to require a larger discussion and I don't want to send a thread about Buddhism on this Tangent.

Quote:

In Hinduism you may be able to live in agreement with a few Christian principles such as do not murder, steal, or steal however this claim is false because you break the 1st commandment of the famous 10 commandments.

4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. Exodus 20

I've broken these commandments as well which establishes my need for God's forgiveness found in Jesus.
Again this is just about pluralism. Simply put, you can achieve realization in the Indian tradition through Christianity because we believe that are infinite ways to get to the end goal of human existence.

I fully understand that I will go to hell for living and pursuing a Hindu life by your tradition. We are not disagreeing.
Zobel
AG
There is a strong apophatic tradition in the Christian East as well. It's not as common in the West.
DirtDiver

Quote:

Again this is just about pluralism. Simply put, you can achieve realization in the Indian tradition through Christianity because we believe that are infinite ways to get to the end goal of human existence.

Christianity claims Jesus is the only to God and their is no other.
One that believes that there are infinite ways to get to the goal of human existence abandons Christianity at this point.

There cannot be 1 way to God and infinite ways to God at the same time.

Quote:

I fully understand that I will go to hell for living and pursuing a Hindu life by your tradition. We are not disagreeing.
Please know that I do not want you or anyone to go to hell.
Zobel
AG
Quote:

Is it not that there are various modes of conduct, and various purposes, one leading one way, another another way, according to the proportion of faith, and these we call ways? Must we, then, travel all, or some of these ways...the same individual along them all, if that be possible; or, if not, along as many as may be; or else along some of them? And even if this may not be, it would still be a great thing, at least as it appears to me, to travel excellently along even one.

What then when you hear there is but One way, and that a narrow one, (Matthew 7:14) does the word seem to you to show? That there is but one on account of its excellence. For it is but one, even though it be split into many parts. And narrow because of its difficulties, and because it is trodden by few in comparison with the multitude of the adversaries, and of those who travel along the road of wickedness.

St Gregory the Theologian, First Theological Oration
PascalsWager
AG
DirtDiver said:

There cannot be 1 way to God and infinite ways to God at the same time.
Even if you hold onto the idea that Christ is only way, Hinduism thinks you'll come to the same conclusion as we do in the end. All of our scriptures are experimental. They're things that are supposed to help one seek and find on one's own.

Point is I would argue that you're wrong on that singular point. But even your belief in that "wrong" doesn't preclude you from your spiritual goals according to Indian thought. Its about discovery and gaining knowledge as we move forward.

Quote:

Please know that I do not want you or anyone to go to hell.
I didn't mean to come off as antagonistic. While I appreciate and know that neither you nor any other Christian wants me to go to hell, I was just stating the fact that that's where I will end up.

I think about this a lot, hence my username!
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Christianity claims Jesus is the only to God and their is no other.

One that believes that there are infinite ways to get to the goal of human existence abandons Christianity at this point.
Maybe, maybe not. From an existential perspective, all of creation was made through the Word, and Christ is the bridge or interface between the created and the divine. I like to think of it like a bubble in the ocean. God is the ocean and creation is inside the bubble. Christ is the actual bubble shell. So you can't get to the ocean without going through the bubble shell, but that doesn't mean there is only one way from inside the bubble to outside.

Another way to look at it would be as Christ as the judge. He decides who gets to pass through. Saying there is only one way to do so limits his judgement and turns Christ into a glorified clerk, who only reviews people's lives for the relevant criteria like checking boxes on a form.

I'm of the belief that Christ judges the heart of people at death based on their selflessness, compassion, charity, and commitment to goodness. There is no reason a Buddhist or Hindu couldn't be judged righteous under these circumstances.
Jayhawk
DirtDiver said:

What is the nature of this one God and how would you conclude that he/she approves of a person

Brahma - the ultimate reality.

I could be mistaken, that is how I understand it from Alan Watts youtube videos anyways
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.