Houston Chronicle, San Antonio Express News abuse investigation

1,923 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jkag89
Thaddeus73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Abuse investigation
diehard03
Just let us know Thadd...is this something you want to discuss, or is this simply a strange spiking of the football that a non-Catholic faith also harbored sexual abusers?
ramblin_ag02
AG
This is absolutely disgusting. The way sexual abuse of the vulnerable, whether children, the mentally or physically disabled, the mentally ill and the destitute is apparently rampant in every sector of our society from clergy to doctors to bankers to politicians to film producers to media and on and on. For a nation that mostly embraces free sex and where prostitution is not legal but rampant, you'd think this sort of thing would be rare. All evidence points otherwise, and it's appaling how many people will use any opportunity to abuse their power over another person.

Also, bold move by an outspoken Catholic to voluntarily bring up the issue of clergy sex abuse. Don't know if this is an honest attempt to dialogue over a problem that affects all of us or a "yall do it too" finger-pointing diversion. Hoping for the former.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
UTExan
The tolerance for sexual abuse of the vulnerable is something I cannot understand, regardless of the setting. One would expect that in a totalitarian society where leadership is unquestioned, but in a free society where people are free to question authorities such tolerance should not exist. Unless, of course, board members have their own peccadilloes to conceal.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Frok
AG
I read Malcolm Gladwell's book titled "Talking with Strangers".

He hits on this a bit with the Penn State situation. We have a tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt rather than let the true facts present themselves. In other words, we "default to truth" and want to take people at their word.

There is also a good portion of this that is just bad hiring practices. Churches can learn a thing or two from corporate companies on how to do good and thorough background checks.

Macarthur
Frok said:

I read Malcolm Gladwell's book titled "Talking with Strangers".

He hits on this a bit with the Penn State situation. We have a tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt rather than let the true facts present themselves. In other words, we "default to truth" and want to take people at their word.

There is also a good portion of this that is just bad hiring practices. Churches can learn a thing or two from corporate companies on how to do good and thorough background checks.

I think you give many of them way too much credit.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

One would expect that in a totalitarian society where leadership is unquestioned
I think this is why it's so prevalent in the IFBC cult. It's a very totalitarian bubble. But my parents are SBC and they still seem extremely deferential, almost to a fault, of their pastor. I've been critical before of things he's said, and they would have none of it. I don't know if it's just a residual left over from our IFBC days, or if SBC also has an element of that within it.
SirDippinDots
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

One would expect that in a totalitarian society where leadership is unquestioned
I think this is why it's so prevalent in the IFBC cult. It's a very totalitarian bubble. But my parents are SBC and they still seem extremely deferential, almost to a fault, of their pastor. I've been critical before of things he's said, and they would have none of it. I don't know if it's just a residual left over from our IFBC days, or if SBC also has an element of that within it.

The pastor worship I think is everywhere. Most are good but they are humans like the rest of us with imperfections, troublesome family members,....
diehard03
Quote:

It's not that they don't know. Churches have access to the same databases that everyone else does.

In these cases, they don't want to know.
Ag4coal
Sexual deviancy begets more deviancy, and we are well down that path now. Humans have always been fallen, and always will be (until He comes again). But the preying on innocence for sexual pleasure is Sodom and Gomorrah type stuff. Our culture is rife with it.
PacifistAg
AG
Ag4coal said:

Sexual deviancy begets more deviancy, and we are well down that path now. Humans have always been fallen, and always will be (until He comes again). But the preying on innocence for sexual pleasure is Sodom and Gomorrah type stuff. Our culture is rife with it.
And our culture is also rife with what the "guilt of Sodom" was..."Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy."

You are right though. It's so pervasive that we (including many in the church) willingly hand over political power to those very people.
Macarthur
Ag4coal said:

Are you saying that this is going on more or is worse than it's ever been?
747Ag
AG
Sad. But, I am still waiting for the promised McCarrick report (Former Cardinal McCarrick). You know, the one that is supposed to let us know how he rose to the top of the American hierarchy... the report that is supposed to shed light just how far his influence spreads in the American hierarchy past and present. Still waiting. Still angry.
747Ag
AG
jkag89
747Ag said:

Sad. But, I am still waiting for the promised McCarrick report (Former Cardinal McCarrick). You know, the one that is supposed to let us know how he rose to the top of the American hierarchy... the report that is supposed to shed light just how far his influence spreads in the American hierarchy past and present. Still waiting. Still angry.
Long-Awaited McCarrick Report Due Next Week, Sources Say
Edward Pentin - National Catholic Register
Quote:

VATICAN CITY The Vatican's much-anticipated report on the disgraced former Cardinal Theodore McCarrick is expected to be released next week, the Register has learned.

Sources say its publication is likely to be between Nov. 10-12, while Reuters reported on Thursday that the report will be published "this month," shortly before the annual meeting of U.S. bishops.
Normally held in Baltimore, due to the coronavirus the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops meeting will take place online on Nov. 15-19.

In Oct. 2018, the Vatican announced that Pope Francis had ordered a "thorough study" of all the documentation in the Vatican archives to "ascertain all the relevant facts" surrounding McCarrick.
The investigation was to build on a "thorough preliminary investigation" by the Archdiocese of New York begun in September 2017. That documentation was forwarded to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith for the purposes of the fuller investigation whose conclusions, the Vatican said in 2018, would be made known "in due course."

The Vatican's report which is expected to respond to the many questions raised over how McCarrick was able to rise through the ranks despite rumors of sexual misconduct, and to establish who knew what, when, about the accusations of sexual abuse of seminarians has been plagued by delays, with senior prelates saying its release was imminent, only for it then not to materialize.

McCarrick, who turned 90 in July, was canonically returned to the lay state in February 2019 after the CDF found him "guilty of the following delicts while a cleric: solicitation in the Sacrament of Confession, and sins against the Sixth Commandment with minors and with adults, with the aggravating factor of the abuse of power." McCarrick had already resigned from the College of Cardinals in July 2018.

Also expected around the time of the report's publication are the conclusions of a Vatican study on the handling of clergy sexual abuse cases in England and Wales. It may also coincide with the beginning of a trial of former nuncio to Paris who is accused of sexual assault. The trial of Archbishop Luigi Ventura, who has denied all the charges, is due to begin on Nov. 10.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.