How the words of the 7 missing books in the KJV are used in the NT

6,785 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Thaddeus73
Thaddeus73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Words and ideas of the 7 Missing books used in the NT
jrico2727
AG
If the Septuagint was good enough for Jesus than it is good enough for me.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

The Protestants attempt to defend their rejection of the deuterocanonicals on the ground that the early Jews rejected them. However, the Jewish councils that rejected them (e.g., School of Javneh (also called "Jamnia" in 90 100 A.D.) were the same councils that rejected the entire New Testatment canon. Thus, Protestants who reject the Catholic Bible are following a Jewish council that rejected Christ and the Revelation of the New Testament.
I think this is the key insight. The story of the Greek Old Testament books or "deuterocanon" is winding and complicated. So excuse the long post.

As has been mentioned in other threads, the various Jewish sects of the Second Temple (or Third Temple!) period used various books in their canon. Everyone followed the Torah, which consist of the first five books of the OT. The priests and Levites were mostly Sadducees, and they stopped there. At least when considering books as divinely inspired and inerrant. After all, those books were from Moses, and Moses talked to God directly. The Pharisees considered the Torah as the most authoritative, but they also had a concept of Tanakh (a Hebrew acronymn of Torah, Prophets, and writings). The scripture of the Pharisees would look very familiar to Christians today. Things like Joshua, Judges, Ezekiel, Jeremiah, Psalms, Kings, etc were all there. However, there was some gray area around the fringes that we will get into later. The Essenes are tricky. They have some other writings, but we don't really know what they considered Holy Scripture. Feel free to correct me if there's something I don't know about them.

So let's talk about the fringe Scriptures of the Pharisees. Our "deuterocanon" fits this category. These are books that are present in the Septuagint, which is a Greek translation of the Hebrew Scriptures which could get it's own thread in itself. However, these books were not present in the Hebrew Masoretic text, which also deserves it's own attention. Not getting into either of those here. There were also other books like Jubilees, the books of Enoch, Baruch, Esdras, and many others.

The pivotal point about these fringe Scriptures of the Pharisees is that they also included some of the letters of the Apostles like Peter and Paul and maybe Acts. Until the formal split of Judaism and Christianity after the destruction of Jerusalem, they were really not separate religions. There was tons of overlap between the groups, and that included Scripture.

So the split becomes the key issue here. The Sadducees would not have had a problem, because they stopped after the Torah. But Post-Temple Judaism was controlled by the Pharisees, and they had to determine how to keep all of their accepted Scriptures while simultaneously denying the validity of early Christian Scripture. Since the transition from Old Testament to Second Temple to Christian scripture is seamless, it becomes very difficult to make rules or draw lines to say that these books are okay and these books are not. So the Pharisees came up with certain rules. First rule, all prophecy stopped after the time of Ezra and Nehemiah and the construction of the Second Temple. Second rule, Hebrew is the original language of God and humanity prior to Babel, and therefore all Scripture has to be in Hebrew. This had the desired effect of giving them a consistent theological justification for outright rejecting Christian writings.

This is where the Deuterocanon gets caught in the crossfire. Tobit, Judith, Maccabees, Sirach and the others are only present in the Septuagint, the Greek version of the Pharisee's Scripture. They were not present in the Hebrew Masoretic text, and they had no known Hebrew originals. By the new rules of Judaism, these books no longer qualify.

So why do Christians care? Many early Christians including Jerome and Origen made friends with local Jews, learned Hebrew, and studied Old Testament scripture with them. While doing so, they found that Christians used Old Testament books that were not found in the Hebrew Bibles. They asked the Jews about this and were told that these books were unfit to be Scripture, but apparently they didn't go into the reasoning or history of this. So it's common to find early Christian writings among Jerome, Origen and others that relegate the Deuterocanon to a lesser status based on these interactions with the Jews.

In their zeal to reexamine everything, the Reformers came across these writings. They were also sticklers for original languages over translations, and naturally favored the Hebrew Masoretic text over the translated Greek Septuagint. The combination caused them to again relegate these books, and later editions have removed them completely.

TLDR:
The whole thing is a little comical to me to be honest. Christians are relegating and disregarding Scripture due to the beliefs of Jews. And the Jews hold those beliefs soley so they can discount Christian Scripture. So Christians are basically using anti-Christian rules to define their own Scripture. The funny thing is that Jews still know these books better than many Christians. Hannukah comes straight out of Maccabees. Sirach is still widely known. There is nothing in any of these books that contradicts modern Christianity or modern Judaism. They were literally just collateral damage in the initial separation of Judaism and Christianity.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zobel
AG
Great post, good summary.

Always interesting to ask folks why Jesus celebrated Hannukah at the temple.
Faithful Ag
Good post.

However, to me this issue is far from comical because for 1500 years the Christian church accepted these writings as Scripture. Today they are not considered Scripture by the vast majority of Protestants, who then claim Scripture to be their ultimate authority.
Win At Life
AG
Yeshua tells us which grouping of books He considered to be scripture and that did not include the OT Apocrypha. The only way you can NOT know this is by throwing away Yeshua's Jewish roots of the faith, which the western church did at the earliest times and continues to do so to this day.
ramblin_ag02
AG
You're going to need to be a little more specific when referencing OT Apocrypha. If you're talking about Enoch, Baruch, and Jubilees then I completely agree. If you're talking about Maccabees and Judith, then I do not. Roman, Greek and Alexandrian Jews certainly considered all the Septuagint to be inspired.

I'm also curious what you mean when you say that Jesus endorsed a particular OT canon. All the quotes in the Gospels are from the Septuagint
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BluHorseShu
AG
Win At Life said:

Yeshua tells us which grouping of books He considered to be scripture and that did not include the OT Apocrypha. The only way you can NOT know this is by throwing away Yeshua's Jewish roots of the faith, which the western church did at the earliest times and continues to do so to this day.
Hmmm....Interesting. As a Christian, I spent 30 years in the Protestant Church and the last 20 in the Catholic Church. I still can't find in the NT where Jesus or the disciples present a complete list of the OT. The 73 books of the OT & NT were being used up until the 16th century.
Thaddeus73
AG
Quote:

The whole thing is a little comical to me to be honest. Christians are relegating and disregarding Scripture due to the beliefs of Jews. And the Jews hold those beliefs soley so they can discount Christian Scripture. So Christians are basically using anti-Christian rules to define their own Scripture.
THIS !

In Matthew 21:43, Jesus took the Church away from the Jews.
In Matthew 16:18-19, Jesus gave the Church to Peter and the Apostles.

So Whatever the Jews consider scripture after that, has no bearing on anybody who claims to be Christian.

In 382 AD, at the Council of Rome, Pope Damasus I declared the infallible canon of scripture, which includes the 7 books the Protestants threw out 12 centuries later.
Win At Life
AG
Thaddeus73 said:

Quote:

The whole thing is a little comical to me to be honest. Christians are relegating and disregarding Scripture due to the beliefs of Jews. And the Jews hold those beliefs soley so they can discount Christian Scripture. So Christians are basically using anti-Christian rules to define their own Scripture.
THIS !

In Matthew 21:43, Jesus took the Church away from the Jews.
In Matthew 16:18-19, Jesus gave the Church to Peter and the Apostles.

So Whatever the Jews consider scripture after that, has no bearing on anybody who claims to be Christian.

In 382 AD, at the Council of Rome, Pope Damasus I declared the infallible canon of scripture, which includes the 7 books the Protestants threw out 12 centuries later.
Peter and the Apostles were Jews. Still are.
Zobel
AG
Oh, come on - you know what he means. Jews in this context means those of the Hebrew faith / people who rejected Christ. See: John 11:8, John 13:33 etc etc etc.
Win At Life
AG
Zobel said:

Oh, come on - you know what he means. Jews in this context means those of the Hebrew faith / people who rejected Christ. See: John 11:8, John 13:33 etc etc etc.
To sheol with Jews who rejected Yeshua as the Mashiach. I'm not referring to those lost Jews. I'm referring to those Jews, including, but not limited to the Apostles, who accepted Yeshua and implemented His reforms back to the correct keeping of His Holy Torah. You are now grafted into the Jewish roots of Yeshua; adopted as sons into His Jewish birth. But your anti-Semitism won't let you accept, that unto the Jews were given the oracles of God (Romans 3:2), which is why you neither know, nor would accept the Jewish tradition to which Yeshua spoke when he called out the beginning and ending of those oracles.
Zobel
AG
The verse you objected to, Matthew 21:43, specifically is referring to those Jews. I'm not an anti-semite.
94chem
This is an interesting discussion. When I was a kid, I think I recall my Catholic bible having 7 extra books. But, apparently the apochrypha isn't a "take-it-all" or "leave-it-all" deal. Different traditions have different lists of apochryphal books. All together, there are apparently 15 of these books?

In a nutshell, can somebody explain why each tradition has the ones it has? For example, why do the Catholics have their 7, and why not the other 8?
Zobel
AG
Short story - because the formation of the canon played out over centuries in a totally decentralized and ad-hoc way. At the time of Christ different Jewish sects used different books as scripture. Then, during the ante-Nicene days different churches used various books.

Remember too a book as we think of it was extremely expensive. In Diocletian's Edict (an important witness to historical prices in AD 301) the price for a scribe to produce 100 lines of script was 20-25 denarii, or about a month's wages for a common person. I don't know the word count in Greek, but let's assume they're similar-ish. At ten point font double spaced you can type around 60 words per line. If you can do the same by hand, that would be around 250 lines for the Gospel according to St Mark - 60 denarii, or two months wages.

The vast majority of the manuscripts were not single books but compilations, and the majority of those were lectionaries for use in the church. So the collection of the four gospels becomes the gospel lectionary, the collection of letters becomes the apstolon, and so on. Different places had local / regional variations in the lectionaries they used, so their "scriptures" were slightly different.

Same with the OT... the Septuagint was by a huge factor the most often used form of the OT, but it had slight differences by different groups and regions.

As the Church reacted to various heretical sects who brought their own writings with them, they began to be defensive over the issue, and to be more and more rigorous about what was acceptable. The way they determined this was against the extant practice from the apostolic teaching, and by comparing notes on what different churches were reading as scripture to the people.
Post removed:
by user
AgLiving06
JJMt said:

What's the significance of this debate/issue? What doctrines are in the "Apocrypha" that RCC folks wished that non-RCC people accepted?

I'll put a couple out there in terms of why this is important to RCC primarily.

1. What were the father's views on important or "canonical" books

2. What is the definition of a "canon?"

3. Who has the "right" to define the "canon?"
Zobel
AG
If you're going to say that scripture is the sole authority, don't you think it is important to know what is and isn't scripture?

Maccabees mentions prayers for the dead. Wisdom is a trove of good teaching including that God did not create death.

But, really, it's the illogic aspect of imparting sole authority to something while being able to edit or adapt the thing which has sole authority.

Put another way. If a religion is solely defined by which writings they consider scripture, and their scripture differs from another group, are they the same religion?
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
Great. If it's not an issue and we're all about the relationship why aren't you Roman Catholic or Orthodox? It's always unity for thee but not for me.

Sola Scriptura wasn't an idea in a vacuum. It was an idea that justified and propelled the schism in the Western church. If it comes from Christ we should expect that it should be both true and continuous. It is certainly not continuous - the use of the Deuterocanon has changed even in the past ~200 years - and it struggles with truth. A true teaching should be coherent, self-supporting, and not incomplete or subject to individual opinion. The teaching of sola scriptura fails basic self-ratification (if the scripture is the sole authority, why doesn't it say as much?) and coherency (if the scripture is sole authority why does it offer no canon or definition of scripture?).
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG

Quote:

Why must someone join the RCC or the Orthodox to be in unity?
Not either church in particular, but by definition being separate is not unified. Multiple sects which do not believe the same things are not in union. Baptists are not in unity with Methodists, Lutherans with Methodists, some Lutherans with other Lutherans, some Baptists with other Baptists. I grabbed two to illustrate a point.

Quote:

Remember, many of the Reformers did not voluntarily leave the RCC. Rather, the RCC kicked them out.
What should a church do with a person who denies core, fundamental teachings? Should Zwingli be welcome at Holy Communion when he denies it? In a dispute between two parties, which has the ability to say - this is not our belief, and if you hold that, you cannot be a member of our church?

On the other hand, the scriptures demand exactly this.
"Reject a divisive man after a first and second admonition"
"Now I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who create divisions and obstacles that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Turn away from them."
"If anyone comes to you but does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your home or even greet him."

"Take note of anyone who does not obey the instructions we have given in this letter. Do not associate with him, so that he may be ashamed."

"Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to keep away from any brother who leads an undisciplined life that is not in keeping with the tradition you received from us."

Quote:

I personally don't refuse to worship with a member of the RCC or the Orthodox churches because of those affiliations (or put any limitations on worship), but many would refuse to allow me to worship with them or would put very strict limitations on our worship.
Would you worship with a Mormon? A Jew? A Muslim? What separates you from them other than your understanding and canon of scripture?

AgLiving06
JJMt said:

Don't you have it backwards? Why must someone join the RCC or the Orthodox to be in unity? Remember, many of the Reformers did not voluntarily leave the RCC. Rather, the RCC kicked them out.

I personally don't refuse to worship with a member of the RCC or the Orthodox churches because of those affiliations (or put any limitations on worship), but many would refuse to allow me to worship with them or would put very strict limitations on our worship.

So it's not me who's guilty of divisiveness, is it?

Well said...the irony of course being that RCC and Orthodox did exactly what they then accuse Reformers of doing...

If there was a desire for unity, we would focus on what brings us together, not separates, but sin in this world rules and drives us apart.
Zobel
AG

Quote:

Why? Authority for that proposition?

That statement is essentially your conclusion, not evidence in support of your conclusion.
"What is truth" is a question with dubious precedent.

Jesus Christ is the truth (1 John 3:19, John 14:6), and the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth (John 14:17, 16:13, 1 John 4:6). Truth is what abides in Christ (2 John 1:2), and the teachings He gave to the world (1 Timothy 6:3). No lie is from the Truth (1 John 2:21) and the Truth imparted by Christ is complete (John 16:13).

This is the standard by which we judge truth, especially when it comes to the matter of the scriptures.

Incoherence is is lacking completion, unity, or order; therefore things which are incoherent cannot be said to be true because our God is not the God of disorder, but of peace (1 Corinthians 14:33). Similarly, something which is contradictory is also incoherent. A teaching which contradicts itself is false even in the most shallow understanding of the word. The scriptures nowhere state that the scriptures are the sole rule of faith or the ultimate authority, and in fact they say otherwise. Therefore to teach that they are cannot be true.

If the words of Christ, and the teachings and writings of the apostles which memorialize them and by which we know them (John 13:20, 15:27, 17:14, and 17:20, 20:21) are true, and the teachings of Christ, the Holy Spirit, are complete and lacking nothing (Jude 1:3 and again, John 16:13) then true teachings of Christ are not incomplete. We should not say that there is something lacking from the faith, or that a partial teaching is not diminished by its incompleteness. Something that is not completely true is not true.

Truth is not subject to individual opinion. If something is abused, damaged, or changed by one person's judgment or another it cannot be said to be true. Scripture is not subjected to opinion (2 Peter 1:20) and indeed scripture corrects opinion versus the other way around (2 Timothy 3:16). Therefore anything which is dependent on someone's opinion and cannot be held true without calling on a personal opinion is at best an incomplete claim. The claims made about scripture in sola scriptura are subject to individual opinion, and indeed even among protestants and even within individual protestant sects there is no clear understanding of what constitutes scripture and what is the canon.
Zobel
AG
The only thing that unites men is God Himself, and the means is to join His body through baptism and the Eucharist. People who abstain, deny, or reject these things and then appeal to an alternate standard or means of unity are teaching faleshoods.
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
Protestants differ on the Eucharist and baptism and many will not even recite the same symbol of faith. Some deny the incarnation or the Trinity. Those are core to me.

"Only the scripture has authority"
"We use a different set of scriptures."
"It makes no difference whatsoever."

That does not follow. Also, some Protestant sects hold to two tiers of scripture - even in the NT.
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
You're setting up a completely new standard of unity, or what is core and dispensable, and how to judge whether people are Christians are not. None of that can be found in the scriptures.
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
New in the sense of, not found in the scriptures, or witnessed to in the history of the church.
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
Point me to where a particular belief about anything is requisite for salvation. Your Protestant bias is showing. Salvation is not based on understanding or believing certain things, or acknowledging a certain set of facts.

We were talking about what the scriptures say about unity.

As for doctrine, I already showed you several places how we are commanded to handle these things. Hold to the apostolic teaching and instructions. People who reject those things are to be rejected.
Post removed:
by user
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.