Liberty Board of Trustees requests that Falwell take indefinite LOA

2,853 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 94chem
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good news.

diehard03
I don't know. The guys not really sorry and university doesn't really care.
PacifistAg
AG
diehard03 said:

I don't know. The guys not really sorry and university doesn't really care.

Oh don't get me wrong. I believe he'll be reinstated after the first week in November. But any time without this guy at the helm is good for any organization that claims to be Christian.
Frok
AG
I saw that picture, how in the world did he think that was a good idea?
PacifistAg
AG
Frok said:

Imo, this is what happens when there's no accountability. I know there's been a growing number within the LU community demand he be held accountable for his words and actions, but to no avail.
Duncan Idaho
If you want to know why "none" is the fastest growing religion among the kids; it is guys like this and the lack of accountability they face.
c-jags
I posted on the thread on F16.

I am unapologetic about being a conservative and I do my best to arrive at any position I have from the Bible and not my personal opinions or whims because they are misguided and sinful. This has caused me to split with republicans often. And that's fine. Faith of politics every single time.

However I've been troubled by Falwell's unabashed love for all things Trump for a while as well as several comments that shouldn't come out of a Christ follower's mouth. I've been equally disappointed with the Gospel Coalition's open support of Hillary as I was of Falwell's with Trump.

He's been asking for trouble for a long time.
PA24
AG
Disappointing and he should know better.
AgLiving06
Ubitag said:

Sadly, we are all hypocrites because of our fallen nature. Sometimes we forget that if a spotlight were shined on our lives like on "celebrities" that we would look equally as bad.

We should all be praying that he turns to God and away from the sin that seems to have gripped him.
diehard03
Quote:

Sadly, we are all hypocrites because of our fallen nature. Sometimes we forget that if a spotlight were shined on our lives like on "celebrities" that we would look equally as bad.

We should all be praying that he turns to God and away from the sin that seems to have gripped him.

That's kinda why he tells us to be known by love and that teachers will be judged more harshly, no?
AgLiving06
diehard03 said:

Quote:

That's kinda why he tells us to be known by love and that teachers will be judged more harshly, no?

Yes. Judged by God.

However, I don't think that means we should be happy with they do fall.
diehard03
Thats not the context I was referring to. Ubitags comment has nothing to do with this.
dermdoc
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Ubitag said:

Agree. Prayers for all. The God I know loves us and weeps when we sin.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
Happy when they fall? Of course not. We should mourn when any fall. Support for accountability? Yes.
Frok
AG
AgLiving06 said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

Yes. Judged by God.

That's no fun, I say we shame them,

Smokedraw01
So where does grace work itself into the problem with Falwell? Let's say that he's reinstated because he's "found his way", do we take him at his word and let it go because of grace or can we be skeptical of this and not trust him. Sorry if this is a thread derail.
diehard03
Grace, as you're using it, means you're reinstated to right standing before God due to repentance and made possible by the Blood of Christ.

Whether you have the same role in the body is a completely different topic.

I think you're doing Falwell a disservice by reinstating him, so my skepticism would reside in the school doing what's best for him rather than itself.
schmendeler
AG
does charity extend to sharing your wife with the pool boy?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-falwell-relationship-exclusive/exclusive-business-partner-of-falwells-says-he-had-long-affair-with-evangelical-power-couple-idUSKBN25K1ZO
Duncan Idaho
I like his denial

"Becki had an inappropriate personal relationship with this person, something in which I was not involved."

The claim isn't that he was involved.......he just watched.
94chem
I guess this rules out Case McCoy for next president of Liberty.
dermdoc
AG
94chem said:

I guess this rules out Case McCoy for next president of Liberty.
I laughed. His dad is spinning in his grave.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Frok
AG
PacifistAg said:

Frok said:

Imo, this is what happens when there's no accountability. I know there's been a growing number within the LU community demand he be held accountable for his words and actions, but to no avail.

They succeeded, thankfully. It's sad that he can behave like this and survive for so long.
94chem
Duncan Idaho said:

I like his denial

"Becki had an inappropriate personal relationship with this person, something in which I was not involved."

The claim isn't that he was involved.......he just watched.

Clinton-esque, and just as skin-crawling disgusting
Aggrad08
AG
If the is one kink I'll never understand it's wanting to watch someone plow your wife
Buck Turgidson
Frok said:

AgLiving06 said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

Yes. Judged by God.

This is the kind of event that makes liberals pretend to be Christians so they can gleefully condemn a conservative for his sins.
craigernaught
AG
Quote:

This is the kind of event that makes liberals pretend to be Christians so they can gleefully condemn a conservative for his sins.
Gleefully condemning people for their sins is bad.
Quote:

Agreed, but it is probably much less of a stretch than banana in the tailpipe.
Gleefully condemning people for their sins is good.
PacifistAg
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Frok said:

AgLiving06 said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

Yes. Judged by God.

This is the kind of event where Christians mourn the grotesque hypocrisy and sin of a supposed Christian "leader", while also being glad to finally see some "accountability" for once. Although a multi-million dollar golden parachute doesn't really seem like accountability, but at least he's out.

Falwell has done much damage to the witness of the church over the years. Hopefully he'll repent (given his statements and that he's playing the victim, sadly it seems he's not there yet) and turn towards God.
94chem
Quote:

Larry Flynt's take
Not hard to figure out who Jesus would be having dinner with...
PacifistAg
AG
Saw that there's going to be an independent investigation.

Quote:

Some may say that all the signs were there for a long time before last week. It's certainly fair to say that there were questionable comments made, worrying behavior, and inappropriate social media posts, but all the signs were not there until the start of last week.
From what I'm seeing, most people tied to Liberty are demanding that the entire board be fired. The above statement is insulting given that people have been calling out a problem for years now. The board provided absolutely zero check against Falwell, and instead gave him $10.5 million as a parting gift. As a former professor said, any investigation that doesn't give students protection against disciplinary measures if they come out about any sexual encounter they've had with either of these two predators, will be an illegitimate investigation.
94chem
I'm expecting a full "Baylor-up," but maybe Liberty will surprise us. The $10 million parting gift wasn't a good way to start, though. Very tired of the world having to teach us how to handle our business.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.