Please say a prayer for my friend and me.

2,401 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PA24
rilloaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found out yesterday that my friend has been unfaithful to his wife and is planning on leaving her. We were groomsmen in each other's weddings. I'm sitting on his back patio now waiting for him to get home from work, hoping something I say will keep him from leaving her and his months old child. I have no idea what has changed in his life but any prayers you can send to soften his heart and hopefully bless me with some sort of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
UglyGiantBagOfMostlyWater
I hope you're able to sway your friend.

If you do change his heart I hope he is open and honest with his wife because she deserves a say in this too.
UTExan
Prayers sent for you both. That illusion that the next relationship will be better is so often a life-destroying illusion.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
RebelE Infantry
AG
Will do buddy.
Faithful Ag
Prayers sent. May God bless your conversation and his family
Serotonin
AG
Prayers for you both. Try to listen without condemnation and hear what he has to say. Something has obviously gone wrong for him.

If nothing else maybe he could delay any final decision for a few months.
dermdoc
AG
Prayers. And my advice is just be there and listen.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
larryj41
Praying for healing in their hearts and marriage.
c-jags
rilloaggie said:

I found out yesterday that my friend has been unfaithful to his wife and is planning on leaving her. We were groomsmen in each other's weddings. I'm sitting on his back patio now waiting for him to get home from work, hoping something I say will keep him from leaving her and his months old child. I have no idea what has changed in his life but any prayers you can send to soften his heart and hopefully bless me with some sort of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Prayers for that.

I had a good friend from church that was headed down this same path. I and a couple of others met w/ him one on one and tried to point him to the scriptures. Then one night a couple of brothers in Christ and myself cornered him in his car and had a knock down drag out (not our intentions, but he avoided us on purpose, so we didn't see any other options) trying to bring 3 or more to compel him to sense as the Bible tells us to.

he didn't listen to us for a few months but after some long talks and months and months of counseling, he repented and returned to his family. still has a lot issues stemming from that and other sin, but he's definitely in a walk again.

just some encouragement that just because you don't convince him today, doesn't mean God isn't going grow that seed. also, this man is not in his right mind. he will say ridiculous things that his mind thinks are true that you and he both know aren't true. not that i'm a counselor, but i'd advise against being that harsh when he's obviously being a moron.
craigernaught
AG
dermdoc said:

Prayers. And my advice is just be there and listen.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Will be lifting you, your friend, and his wife and child up in our prayers. All that we do has a ripple effect and affects so many people. Praying for you all.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
DevilDriver
rilloaggie said:

Have you asked his wife what she wants?
rilloaggie
AG
His wife begged someone to talk to him and ask him to start counseling, reconsider, etc.

I spent the better part of 5 hours talking with him Tuesday. I have come to learn that the information provided by his spouse initially may have been incomplete (potentially fabricated in some cases). He and the wife have been on the rocks for years now, haven't lived together for months. He's adamant that he hasn't been unfaithful. I'm not naive and am now taking both of them with a grain of salt.

I experienced my father cheating on my mom while I was away at college and was mentally prepared to come to blows with my friend over this. It appeared was doing the same thing to his wife that my dad did to my mom. I approached what he said very skeptically because of my own experiences with a man in my life being unfaithful. At this point I don't think there is a movie happy ending in store. As with anything like this, I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle of his and hers. I'm glad I talked to him and I hope if I am ever in the process of making a poor decision that one of my friends will have the courage to confront me. Please continue to pray for them and that they keep the best interest of their child in the forefront of any decision they make from here.
rilloaggie
AG
I do very much appreciate all the prayers and messages of encouragement. Thank you all for that
dermdoc
AG
People need friends like you.

In my 65 years I can think of no cases when a guy left his wife unless he already had someone on the side. And a lot of them deny it.

Will continue to pray.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ranch Dressing
AG
Praying OP
Frok
AG
I admire your courage to be that kind of friend.
Post removed:
by user
TRD-Ferguson
AG
35 years ago I was your friend. My pastor, a number of good friends, and family members did their best to minister to me. I would have none of it. The lies you tell yourself become your truth.

My marriage did not survive. It did not survive because of me. Sure, we had issues but they were workable had I wanted to be responsible. I chose to be selfish. We had two young children. I still can't understand how I turned a blind eye towards them. It haunts me to this day.

Try and remain a friend even when your friend is a complete and utter jerk. At some point he'll realize he needs you. And, he really will need you and others. He just doesn't know it yet.

He will struggle. You wonder can you ever be forgiven? Are you even worthy of forgiveness? Will you be accepted into a place of worship ever again?

I'm praying for you, your friend and his family. God bless you for taking the time to stand in the gap.
dermdoc
AG
AstroAg17 said:

dermdoc said:

People need friends like you.

In my 65 years I can think of no cases when a guy left his wife unless he already had someone on the side. And a lot of them deny it.

Will continue to pray.
Sounds like confirmation bias unless you know for a fact in all cases.
No, just that every time a friend going through a separation or divorce and denied they were seeing someone they always were,

So it did not confirm a preexisting belief, it was just the truth of what happened.
diehard03
To Astros point, it's most likely that your knowledge of the situation causes you to categorize it as "guy lefts his wife" and most other cases are simply "got divorced" or something like this.
Ciboag96
We are a selfish, selfish people. Our consumeristic, instant gratification and entertainment, pleasure-centered, self focused society breeds men who think less about sacrifice and more about shallow, instant satisfaction.

Marriage is a sacrificial covenant. True happiness comes from serving others, especially your spouse. Men are to be meek, which is not weak. It's strength and power restrained in service and deference to the family.

I don't care what she or he did. He's choosing himself over protecting and nurturing his family, especially his young children. Rip his ass and don't let up. He needs to fix himself before worrying about leaving anyone or doing anything else. He'll damage those kids forever.
PA24
AG
Sound advise on how to be a lasting dear friend for life.
PA24
AG
I agree with you except.....guy where I am working part time Is going Thur a divorce he instigated and there is not another involved it appears. Started about 5 weeks ago and now He is a basket case of emotions as he talks a bout how lonely and sad he is but looking forward to dating once the divorce is final. I honestly believe him when he says no in is involved. His credibility at work due to his unstable emotions has lost some value. Really odd, late 20s so not a kid, and listens to what I call angry music. Spikes his hair some days, odd acting.

Not money, not family, no drugs, just unhappy with his choice for a wife. Said he can't imagine having kids with her.

Disobedience, I do feel sorry for her and I have never met her, he told me her dad picked her up and her belongings while he was gone. How embarrassing that must be for her.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.