Living a Theology of Contrast Instead of Opposition

2,409 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PabloSerna
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think that one is pretty clear.

But, for example, a father who says - "Son, I love you and I always will, but I can't support your decision and I think you're making a huge mistake. Please don't do this."

Support? Reject?
schmendeler
AG
Zobel said:

I think that one is pretty clear.

But, for example, a father who says - "Son, I love you and I always will, but I can't support your decision and I think you're making a huge mistake. Please don't do this."

Support? Reject?
well, using the passive aggressive tone of framing this situation as his son's "decision" and calling it a mistake, can you point out the support?
PacifistAg
AG
Yeah, it's certainly not a choice to be transgender. Transitioning is, but for many, it's a choice between transitioning or suicide, so it's really not much of a choice then.
Zobel
AG
Right - sorry for being unclear, the "do this" would be transitioning, which absolutely is a choice. Based on that, it seems the assertion that\o "reject" and "support" aren't about the person but about transitioning?

It would seem "supporting them" and "rejecting them" is a complete mischaracterization, unless there is an identity relaitonship between "them" and "transitioning" or "them" and "being transgender."

I don't agree with either of those, to be clear.
HossAg
AG
Zobel
AG
I think wires are getting crossed, and its my fault. Can we be clear about what decision we're talking about? I was framing my point about transitioning.

However, the reason I began by asking for a definition of support and reject is because its completely ambiguous. So much so that the "stat" is basically useless. It tells us nothing useful about the two categories.
BusterAg
AG

You wouldn't want me to bring my handgun strapped to my waist to your kids / nephew's / nieces / neighbors event, like a devo or birthday party would you? I'm sure that if you and I met, we would get along. And, even though we have very differing views on how neat guns are, I am sure you would welcome me to your event, but I doubt you would let me in while I had my pistol strapped to my hip in open carry. That should be your right to ask me not to, because you are trying to gather with other people that think the same way, and set a certain example to the people around you.

Now, if we met at a restaurant, you and I, maybe it would trouble you a little less than at a child's birthday party.

As Christians that have a very deeply seated belief in the sanctity of the nuclear family as the way God intended it to be, we should be able to teach those values to our kids without conflicting messages undermining us at our assemblies.

In our youth group, everyone is welcome. But please, leave your sexuality at home.

If you are struggling with it, and want to talk, we are there to talk about it. But this is a thing for families to work through, not youth groups.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

--Thomas Jefferson
HossAg
AG
Zobel
AG
That's just as useless because all you've done is moved the ambiguity from the person asking the question to the person answering it. We still don't know what "accept" or "reject" actually mean from case to case.

A transgender child may feel rejected or accepted in a binary way because their entire identity has become wrapped up in this point. But this may not be reflective of the reality of the situation.

And this is the real tragedy - when ANY person, who is a whole person, a unique microcosm or reflection of the entire universe, mistakenly places their identity in one facet of their being, or one tile of their mosaic.

Making any relationship contingent upon any particular feature of personhood is as much an error for a person on either side. A human being saying "accept this or you have rejected me" is just as much of a fracture and assault on relationship as "change this or I will reject you."
PabloSerna
AG
We have 8 gifts from God I like to think - 5 are adults and 3 kids are still at home with us.

One daughter is gay, we knew this early on. She prefers to say she is not sexuality attracted to neither males nor females. Just not interested in sexual relations all together. So when she "came out" a couple of years ago - we just rolled with it and told her "we love you - we will never abandon you" just like Jesus taught.

As practicing Catholics, all our kids have 8 years of religious education, youth ministry, community services, baptism, reconciliation, holy communion, and confirmation sacraments. Come from a good home (we do our best with what God has given us) and no trauma from what I can tell (maybe mean kids at school?).

As some of you know, I can be opinionated. Always have been. Politics and religion are quite often the topic at the dinner table (we do that too). We have discussed homosexual marriage, being gay, and the Catholic church. We are fortunate to have a honest assessment and practical guidance from the Catechism, sections 2357, 2358, and 2359 (see excerpt below) in light of the reality that this affects many people in the world.

Being gay is not a sin.

Sexual relations, between a man and a woman has two inseparable aspects: to bring those people closer together (unite) and to bring forth children as a gift for the world (procreate). The sacrament of holy marriage is God's way for this conjugal act to fulfill its role in God's plan. The holy family.

I make a distinction between gay marriage and holy matrimony. I do believe two people of the same sex can really love each other and make a life long commitment not unlike a man and a woman make at the altar in front of witnesses - but more importantly in front of God. That said, I have stated to my gay daughter that the difference is that the opposite sex couple can receive a child, as a gift from God for the world -whereas the other same sex couple cannot. This is the purpose of a family. This then is the reason God blessed Adam and Eve, telling them to go forth and multiply. It is why the RCC cannot ever bless a gay 'marriage'. It is even more critical to understand that the priest is a witness, since the man and woman are the people enacting the sacrament with God.

Lastly, we (RCC) understand that there are (3) vocations given unto people - single, married, religious. It is my belief that many gay people have either a single or religious vocation.

I think our daughter understands this - she tells me she does struggle with the idea that the Church will not recognize a same sex marriage - but she understands why. I tell her - that if that is the only thing you struggle with in your faith - put it aside, we all struggle with something. Keep going to church to give God thanks for his many blessings. Keep receiving the sacraments to grow in God's grace. Most of all, keep working on your relationship with Jesus - he will lead you to green pastures!

+++

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.