"Before the Wrath" on Amazon Prime.

2,095 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agie95
AggielandPoultry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brings a new insight to the pre-tribulation rapture for anyone interested. I enjoyed it.
SirDippinDots
Briefly, what was the new insight?
AggielandPoultry
AG
Just more details about the order of a Galilean wedding and how it directly ties into the return of christ, the last supper, etc. I knew some of this before but this really tied things together well.
SirDippinDots
thanks
nosoupforyou
AG
Do you know they are theological position? Pre-trib amillennial? Etc.

Are there any specific pastors involved with this project? John MacArthur, John piper, Left Behind guys, etc.?

I've tended to avoid this area but would like a better basic understanding
PA24
AG
Pre tribulation is something that MacAuthur preaches. I believe in post as taught by Pat Robertson 700 Club.

John Hagee tells us if you don't believe in the pre, then you will not be watching and miss out like the brides needing oil in their lamps. Wow, didn't know that was in the Bible, can't find it anywhere.

Max Lucado also paints a picture of a great escape before the tribulation .......unfortunately, no where in the Bible does Jesus tell us of saving his church from the great tribulation. Nope, just the opposite.

The sound of the last trumpet, the dead in Christ will rise first then the elect on earth followers. Nothing pre or mid about that.

I love to listen to all these preachers but as the end times draws near, I am wondering about the false teachers Jesus warned us about in the end times.

Pray for wisdom constantly and prepare for the worst.

dermdoc
AG
It seems like to me that the Early Church just knew Jesus was coming back again and were uninterested in the details. And I can not remember any "timelines" in Scripture of how things were going to happen.

The key to me is staying in faith and communion with the Lord knowing that He loves His church and will take care of Her and us.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SirDippinDots
in support of pretrib:

2 Thessalonians 2 NIV

5 Don't you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? 6 And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. 7 For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. 9

So I would say that holy spirit/church is holding back but a lot depends on the translation here because of the use of 'he is taken out of the way', but also says "what is holding him back". So there is a bit of ambiguity depending on translation (he some Holy Spirit/person/God) and what some force like the Holy Spirit along with Church. I am not a Scholar of Greek and do well enough to speak English so any kind of translation debate is above me.

1 Thessalonians 1 NIV
10 and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the deadJesus, who rescues us from the coming wrath.

Here Paul promises Jesus will rescue his church from the wrath/tribulation. So with these verses I think the case for pretrib is overwhelming but honest people can differ.

Quote:

The sound of the last trumpet, the dead in Christ will rise first then the elect on earth followers. Nothing pre or mid about that.
Not sure how that does not support Pretrib and not sure what verse you are quoting but:

1 Thessalonians 4 NIV
16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.

So what i get from that is those that are dead but were believers in Christ will first rise and then those who are alive during the rapture are called up. So I am not sure how that does not agree with pretrib.
SirDippinDots
AggielandPoultry said:

Brings a new insight to the pre-tribulation rapture for anyone interested. I enjoyed it.
Also anyone interested it is on TV this Friday on the Daystar channel.
Zobel
AG
"The coming wrath" does not mean some kind of temporary tribulation. The coming wrath is the day of visitation, the last judgment, and so on. The wrath of God is judgment against sin and evil. Jesus saves us from that.

I think most of these discussions are trying to unscrew the inscrutable and end up cherry picking things to make a point.
SirDippinDots
Zobel said:

"The coming wrath" does not mean some kind of temporary tribulation. The coming wrath is the day of visitation, the last judgment, and so on. The wrath of God is judgment against sin and evil. Jesus saves us from that.

I think most of these discussions are trying to unscrew the inscrutable and end up cherry picking things to make a point.

That is why I said there can be honest disagreement. It is not important for salvation or the mission of the Church. I think when it happens it will be obvious to everyone that is left what happened, at least I hope so... so if it is pretrib there is still time to accept Jesus.

Another reason I think pretrib is the book of Revelation was to encourage the Church.... With all the wrath coming down upon the earth, it is not very encouraging for those on it. Of course you can counter by saying we can be encouraged that God is in charge and everything moving by his plan.
Zobel
AG
To be blunt, a lot of the speculation is based off of complete misreadings that are in part a product of being centuries removed from the context of the text. Not just talking about Revelation here, either.

The Revelation of John is written in the style of an apocalypse - highly symbolic. Most of those symbols would have had relevance to the contemporary audience either in cultural touchpoints or scriptural call-backs. Coming to it blank slate 2000 years later is like a bad acid trip.

I don't know if you watched the show Community, but there's a character there who is Asperger's or similar and can only really interact with or make sense of the world through TV and movie tropes. So there's a TON of pop cultural touch points in the show. Abed's character will make no sense in fifty years. In two thousand, if someone finds it, who knows what they could read into it.

This isn't to say that there's no value from picking up the Apocalypse and reading it, but it does mean we absolutely have to be careful with what we walk away with.

And the fact that it's a source of so much consternation and infighting is reason enough to let it be. Christ Jesus teaches repeatedly to worry about our account, being responsible with what we're given, because we don't know the day of judgment, we don't know when our life will end. This is a misplaced focus of our energy.
SirDippinDots
I think it was given so we could know and recognize the times we are in. Sometimes Revelation is difficult and you have to look at other scripture to help you understand... and what you can't understand is probably OK and not needed. If we needed an exact timeline with all events we would have been given it.

But from Chapter 1:
3 Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.

So we need to recognize the times. Me personally I think we are in the birth pangs.
dermdoc
AG
Amen.

I personally think Revelation was written about the Roam. empire and as a way of encouraging the early Churches. I could easily be wrong.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
SirDippinDots said:

I think it was given so we could know and recognize the times we are in. Sometimes Revelation is difficult and you have to look at other scripture to help you understand... and what you can't understand is probably OK and not needed. If we needed an exact timeline with all events we would have been given it.

But from Chapter 1:
3 Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.

So we need to recognize the times. Me personally I think we are in the birth pangs.
And with all due respect, people have thought that for two thousand years. And in recent times, a lot of people have made a ton of money from the human interest and frankly anxiety about this. I know as I have been there.

Just trust the Lord which is a lot harder than it sounds,
SirDippinDots
Agree. I am a worrier and control freak by nature so it is difficult for me.

And the time is near from God's perspective.
Zobel
AG
The Revelation is never read aloud in the Orthodox Church.

Here's an interesting book on it:
https://blogs.ancientfaith.com/wholecounsel/2018/08/15/is-the-book-of-revelation-canonical-in-the-orthodox-church/

I think the whole discussion is superfluous.
dermdoc
AG
Zobel said:

The Revelation is never read aloud in the Orthodox Church.

Here's an interesting book on it:
https://blogs.ancientfaith.com/wholecounsel/2018/08/15/is-the-book-of-revelation-canonical-in-the-orthodox-church/

I think the whole discussion is superfluous.

It is useful for revealing the problem with personal interpretation of Scripture without guidance. And there are a lot of fierce inerrant Christians who have totally different interpretations of the exact same words.
agie95
AG
IMO if you can't see the picture of Yom Kippur in Revelation then you are missing it. Yom Kippur is a day of judgement.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.